News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff_Brauer

Re: I'm confused
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2009, 08:50:49 AM »
I will say this about gca.com - it doesn't seem to suffer from "trolls" so often associated with other types of forums.  At least the disagreements are genuine, if you will, with few if any threads posted solely for the purpose of enraging others.

If you think this is bad, try a hockey forum some time! 

If you don't keep a sense of humor about things, you won't stick around here or anywhere very long.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2009, 09:02:48 AM »
There really are only three out of the 35 topics that are found on the first page which have generated any heated exchanges and the number of participants on two of those threads are limited to a handful of posters. I happen to be in one of them.

They are such a small part of what happens on this site that I cannot understand why they seem to be creating so much angst in others. Go back through the last 5 pages of this site, that's 175 topics, and 3 are just about all the contentious threads you'll find. Again, on two of them there are a handful of posters out of the 1500 on this site who are participating (I've given up on the one I was in as there is never going to be a resolution).

Turn away, don't read them, make the choices that are best for you. Otherwise you'll end up like my Mother-in-Law, who scares the hell out of herself because she always reads the 'worst' news stories instead of the 'best' ones.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 09:08:49 AM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Mac Plumart

« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2009, 09:46:39 AM »
Jim...you are right.  Totally right.

Thanks!
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2009, 09:49:17 AM »
Mac,
You're just being kind  ;)

Thanks for the thread.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Bill_McBride

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2009, 09:54:01 AM »
Mac,
Here's a hard truth, there are literally hundreds of posts to be found having to do with the courses you recently played buried somewhere in the 350k + posts that have been made on this site. Plus, you came back to your thread on a Monday evening, posted some pictures, and wrongly thought that should generate some instant responses, give it some time. At that time of day, and given that there isn't any 'new' subject matter, I'd be happy if I got a few people to respond, and anyway, talking about the architecture of Florida courses does better after Jan 1st.  ;D

As far as behavior, I know that on occasion I get on the long end of an argument, but I have never taken anything that anyone said about me to heart, and I hope that 'agreement' is reciprocal. 

As for the site going astray, I can only say that I've never seen it stay that way for more than a brief period, and if you look at the first page, right now, 6:30 am EST, you'll see that architecturally related topics dominate the board. Now, you may not like the passions that arise on some of them, but the best advice is to avert your eyes.  ;)

Jim, good advice there, but you know there are people who go to hockey games to see the fights or go to NASCAR to see the wrecks.  At GCA.com we call these types "participants."   ;D

Anthony Gray

« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2009, 09:56:33 AM »
Mac,
Here's a hard truth, there are literally hundreds of posts to be found having to do with the courses you recently played buried somewhere in the 350k + posts that have been made on this site. Plus, you came back to your thread on a Monday evening, posted some pictures, and wrongly thought that should generate some instant responses, give it some time. At that time of day, and given that there isn't any 'new' subject matter, I'd be happy if I got a few people to respond, and anyway, talking about the architecture of Florida courses does better after Jan 1st.  ;D

As far as behavior, I know that on occasion I get on the long end of an argument, but I have never taken anything that anyone said about me to heart, and I hope that 'agreement' is reciprocal. 

As for the site going astray, I can only say that I've never seen it stay that way for more than a brief period, and if you look at the first page, right now, 6:30 am EST, you'll see that architecturally related topics dominate the board. Now, you may not like the passions that arise on some of them, but the best advice is to avert your eyes.  ;)

Jim, good advice there, but you know there are people who go to hockey games to see the fights or go to NASCAR to see the wrecks.  At GCA.com we call these types "participants."   ;D

Bill,

Like if you are tired of my question to Mike Young than don't hit play?

Anthony

Scott Warren

« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2009, 10:10:20 AM »
I try to think before I post whether what I have to say is valuable and/or will contibute positively to Ran's fantastic website.

If the answer is no, I don't hit "post" (though I am sure I have posted some rubbish).

D_Malley

« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2009, 10:11:14 AM »
as Mac said
"Be the Change"
check out this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGyutkBvN2s

Mark Woodger

« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2009, 10:14:02 AM »
on a sidenote how is Georgia in April for golf?think im going to do a little circle between north/south carolina and georgia in April

I went to the masters wednesday last year and played the day before and after. the day before was freezing cold and bordering on unpleasent and the wednesday at the masters and the day after were delightful golf weather days.

We played Palmetto and Camden Country Club both really enjoyable courses in good condition. There was GCA trip to both in the last month so you can see pics of the courses in those topics.

Good luck and enjoy.

Jud_T

« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2009, 10:15:23 AM »
Isn't it about time for someone to go off on a 4 paragraph harangue about the traditions of the game and for the obligitory pissing match to ensue?  ;D

seriously Mac,

welcome aboard, you appear to be a breath of fresh air in a stale, smoke-filled room....
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Lou_Duran

« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2009, 10:27:50 AM »
The DG is an imperfect market of ideas.  Participation is optional.  There are various strategies to coax responses and approbation, some more innocuous than others.  If the motivation is primarily "learning", that can be better accomplished by persuing the other sections of this wonderful site.  Though the DG does occasionally serve that purpose, it seems to be more suited for relatively low-cost social interaction and networking.

Doug Ralston

« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2009, 11:08:52 AM »
Controversy here is necessary. If it was just dull GCA crap, I would be reading it less and paying more attention to the wife. That would certainly lead to her suing for divorce! Thanks for the noise.

Doug

PS: What does YOUR house look like?
Where is everybody? Where is Tommy N? Where is John K? Where is Jay F? What has happened here? Has my absence caused this chaos? I'm sorry. All my rowdy friends have settled down ......... somewhere else!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2009, 11:29:12 AM »
Mac,

I appreciate this thread because its always good to get a fresh take/perspective on things.

I think Pat said it best as everyone is interested in different things.  Some are here for the GCA purity, others to see the "wrecks", and others to just pass the time.  The OT hasn't really bothered me all that much because as Jim noted they usually are the vast minority of the threads, and lets face it, people like to tallk about other things than just golf and even have a few laughs.  The biggest reason why these threads exist is because it really is true that outside of new courses being discussed, just about everything and anything GCA related has been discussed on this site at some point in time.  So if people don't respond to a thread, then its likely not personal, its probably just they've been there/done that and have nothing else to add.

As for me, I'm here for all of the above.  I like the in-depth stuff as well as the light hearted OT threads.  As one whose been to many online forums Jeff really is right...this place is for the most part troll-free and people really believe thier opinions.  So it makes for a cool cyber-lounge and for us to all have a common interest in GCA is a massive bonus.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2009, 11:31:32 AM »
Mac,

Yeah sometimes I get as confused as a goat on Astroturf around here.....I get as confused as a breast fed baby at Hooters.....I get as... well, I could go on all day, but only have one bit of advice....

Don't dare mention Merion! 

And don't be a gca not named Doak, Coore, or Crenshaw and expect any respect around here!  Hell, I almost changed my screen name to "Rodney D"......

Doesn't your final statement provide an example of what Mac is lamenting?????? On my college football chat we call it homerism, here it is called idolizing... er respect. AND... with all due respect Jeff, create a Pac Dunes or the like and the love will follow. As those that follow the board know I am usually the first to call out the TD/C&C homerism but from another architect it just comes off badly. My apologies for being to the point.

Eric Smith

« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2009, 12:23:29 PM »
Mac:

Great thread and I for one hope you continue with your quest to enlighten and be enlightened in the world of gca. 

Sorry we didn't get to do Quest For Fire II at Fogo de Chao the other day.  I'm sure we'll catch up somewhere before too long.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2009, 12:44:14 PM »
Mac,

I appreciate this thread because its always good to get a fresh take/perspective on things.

I think Pat said it best as everyone is interested in different things.  Some are here for the GCA purity, others to see the "wrecks", and others to just pass the time.  The OT hasn't really bothered me all that much because as Jim noted they usually are the vast minority of the threads, and lets face it, people like to tallk about other things than just golf and even have a few laughs.  The biggest reason why these threads exist is because it really is true that outside of new courses being discussed, just about everything and anything GCA related has been discussed on this site at some point in time.  So if people don't respond to a thread, then its likely not personal, its probably just they've been there/done that and have nothing else to add.

As for me, I'm here for all of the above.  I like the in-depth stuff as well as the light hearted OT threads.  As one whose been to many online forums Jeff really is right...this place is for the most part troll-free and people really believe thier opinions.  So it makes for a cool cyber-lounge and for us to all have a common interest in GCA is a massive bonus.

Kalen,

Isn't it better to just settle things better face to face?

Anthony

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2009, 01:22:50 PM »
Mac,

Yeah sometimes I get as confused as a goat on Astroturf around here.....I get as confused as a breast fed baby at Hooters.....I get as... well, I could go on all day, but only have one bit of advice....

Don't dare mention Merion! 

And don't be a gca not named Doak, Coore, or Crenshaw and expect any respect around here!  Hell, I almost changed my screen name to "Rodney D"......

Doesn't your final statement provide an example of what Mac is lamenting?????? On my college football chat we call it homerism, here it is called idolizing... er respect. AND... with all due respect Jeff, create a Pac Dunes or the like and the love will follow. As those that follow the board know I am usually the first to call out the TD/C&C homerism but from another architect it just comes off badly. My apologies for being to the point.

Greg,

If you say so. 

I'm just "calling it like I see it," which is to say I believe many here would prefer to see Doak take a leak than hear what Fazio or others have to say about gca......this place has always had a counter culture mentality.  So be it. I understand that. As I also said, I try to keep my sense of humor about such things, or I wouldn't participate.

I guess humor is now on the list of vebotten things around here, too, along with stating the obvious.

Your call for me to design a nice ocean front cousre like Pac Dunes reminds me of the old Steve Martin bit about making a million dollars and not paying taxes....."First, make a million dollars, then......."  I would love to design an ocean front course, of course.  But I am content to design high quality public courses on other sites in the meantime.

Think about it. How much ink do a few favored courses here get?  Some talk about affordable public golf (or the flip side, just complain about high cost whenever incurred) and yet so few of those courses get talked about. 

Again, I get it. No one really comes here to talk architecture. They come to talk famous courses.  Hey, I enjoy that, too, except for the fact that I would rarely post an honest negative opinion of others work for professional reasons. 

I recall TD asking for an analysis of Stone Eagle once. Of all the fawning responses, I posted (I think) a well reasoned response (based on five photos posted) about how much the fronts of the greens were cut off for a guy who says he favors the running game option, and especially for a club where presumably seniors will make up a large part of play.  I also noted that of the few greens shown, most had clusters of bunkers, which I thought would be repetitive if there were any more of them.  As I recall, TD actually thanked me for responding with an actual answer!

I started coming here for a variety of reaons, but I like discussing architectural theory most of all, rather than discuss travel pieces.  That's why I like some of Pat Mucci's threads.  But as the OP says, try putting a theory question up and you will get limited response compared to a "I'm going to Bandon!" thread.

One last time.....I understand.  Until there is a discussion forum titled "Talk about things Jeff likes" I will agree with Lou.  Discussion forums are free form.  Their strength and weakness are both the same - you never know exactly where the discussion will lead......
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Bill_McBride

« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2009, 01:26:05 PM »
Mac,

Bill,

Like if you are tired of my question to Mike Young than don't hit play?

Anthony

Huh?  What is this, a DVR?  I mean some on GCA.com can be pretty repetitive and all, but "Play?"

TEPaul

Re: I'm confused New
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2009, 01:27:20 PM »
Mac:

Here's another of my Bon Mots that just sprung into my head even though it may've resulted from some years of experience in and around GCA.

"It is actually a good thing to be confused by GCA."

I say that because if one remains somewhat confused by it, that in and of itself simply serves the purpose of keeping you thinking! It's when one thinks he has it all figured out that he's really in trouble! ;)

Oh, listen, maybe I should amend that. Is it GCA you're confused by or is it the people on here who try to discuss it you're confused by---or perhaps some of each?   ??? ::) ;)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 01:30:30 PM by TEPaul »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back