News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

If you live in the Carolinas, there is a definite line that separates the north and the south. As a born and bred Tar Heel, it is genetically hard for me to want to say something nice about the Carolina that is south of that line  8). However, in terms of golf, the coast of South Carolina is abundantly rich with quality golf while the coast of North Carolina is nearly bereft. Of the ten best along the Carolina coast, at least nine of them would be in South Carolina. Why North Carolina with its superior sand dunes coastline is so golf weak is a whole other topic. The point here is: if you can't beat them :'( , join'em and that is the purpose of this four day November trip to the Lowcountry.

The details are posted in the Golf & Travel section but we are playing May River, Old Tabby, Harbour Town and Chechessee Creek. Ben and I will be there as will Bill Coore for one of the evenings as our special guest speaker. There will be sixteen of us so that we almost all each get to play a round with one another. The limited size of our group optimizes the chance to visit with Bill. As anyone who has spent time with him knows, he is one of the great minds in golf course architecture and a true gentleman to boot.

We are staying at the Mobile Four Star Inn at Harbour Town, which adds to the cost of the trip. However, the basic sentiment is that the trip is very much meant to be a treat, something that we can all look forward to after months of dreary news. The cost is $2,450 if you want to share a room and $2,695 if you want a single room for the three nights. The Golf & Travel section explains what you get for that but essentially everything is included, save for alcohol. You won't need a rental car if you can just get to May River by lunch that first day. After golf that afternoon, we take a boat into the harbour at Sea Pines and from there, our own private coach takes us to each of the courses.

Hope you still have some vacation days so that you can join us and we hope to see you there.

Cheers,

Jason McNamara

Re: Lowcountry trip details now posted in Golf & Travel section
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 07:56:37 PM »
If you live in the Carolinas, there is a definite line that separates the north and the south.

Ah yes, the continuing ill will between the Carolinas, all started by the contentious "Muftarde-Sauce Edickt" of 1649.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 08:52:05 PM »
Color me there.
 Only having been to Myrtle, I sense I won't be in Kansas anymore.

Seeing Pete's seminal work as well as a highly regarded JN course could only be topped by a course Bill Coore thinks is all that.

I need good advice on logistics? Being challenged in that arena, I'm curious about showing up at May River, then a water taxi to the Inn. Should I just cab it from either airport to May River, or, check into the Inn a day early, then cabbing it to May River with only my clubs in tow?

Help

P.S. Someone suggested renting a car in Charlotte, driving down and seeing the whole region. Any thoughts on doing that since I'll likely come a day early and leave a day late?  
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 10:28:40 PM by Adam Clayman »
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 09:29:10 PM »
It would appear that this trip is in direct conflict with the Dixie Cup dates.  Just sayin'.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Joe Hancock

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 09:43:04 PM »
It would appear that this trip is in direct conflict with the Dixie Cup dates.  Just sayin'.

People have choices. Life is good. All but sixteen of us will be able to have an extra beer or twelve by attending the less expensive soiree.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

JC Jones

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 10:06:00 PM »

People have choices. Life is good. All but sixteen of us will be able to have an extra beer or twelve by attending the less expensive soiree.

Joe

If you go to Dixie cup we'll be drinking a lot more than 12 my friend.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 08:44:43 AM »
Tim. The dates for this trip have been posted since the software was instituted. As for the cost. One cannot put a price on spending time with two of golf's most beloved figures. Each and every trip I have been on has only helped in a fuller and deeper understanding of this complex subject. I recommend it to anyone serious about learning more.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 12:25:39 PM »
Tim. The dates for this trip have been posted since the software was instituted. As for the cost. One cannot put a price on spending time with two of golf's most beloved figures. Each and every trip I have been on has only helped in a fuller and deeper understanding of this complex subject. I recommend it to anyone serious about learning more.
I understand completely; I was only making the observation about the dates.  They both take place during me school year, so I don't really have a vested interest in either event.  I'm jealous of whomever attends either and look forward to the pictures! :)

Cheers.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Adam Clayman

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 06:35:10 PM »
Tim, No worries. Perhaps the big world theory applies.

Eric Smith

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 07:04:28 PM »
...Perhaps the big world theory applies.

Speaking of that, will Tom Paul be coming? 

Not only would I hope to see that legendary swing live and in person, the thought of sharing that wooden motor yacht ride from May River to Harbour Town with the venerable TEPaul seems right out of the Neiman Marcus Christmas Book; one of those wow gifts, like the $160K 7- Series Sedan.

Mike Jansen

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2009, 09:18:00 PM »
If anyone has an extra day and a hook-up... play Bulls Bay, a GREAT Strantz course just north of Charleston.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2009, 08:44:12 AM »
I'm still hoping for a little advice on logistics?  Thanks for the bills bay tip.

Eric Smith

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2009, 09:03:45 AM »
Adam:

It is less than an hour's drive from either airport, SAV or HHH to Palmetto Bluff.  More flight options out of Savannah, but your idea to get to the inn a night early would make flying in to Hilton Head probably more convenient as it is only minutes to Harbour Town from there.  USAirways flies here through Charlotte, about 10 times daily.

Hope this helps.

Eric

Anthony Gray

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2009, 09:06:00 AM »

Adam,

You spelled bulls wrong.

Anthony

Adam Clayman

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2009, 03:02:12 PM »
Once again Anthony, I can't thank you enough.

I'm really pulling for your grudge match thread to make it to 100 pages.

Eric Smith

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2009, 10:40:43 PM »
I was at Harbour Town today and thought I'd snap a shot or two from the incredible Inn at Harbour Town.

This is the view on the back veranda looking to the first tee.

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2009, 04:02:25 PM »
Had a quick email exchange with Ran, and he suggested I post the following:  If the dates work out with my schedule, (TBD) it would be my pleasure to have those of you who are coming on the Lowcountry Jaunt to Secession Club in Beaufort, SC either the day before or the day after the trip concludes.

Those of you who are coming on the trip, and want to do this "add on" just reply to this post, and I'll see if we can make it all work out.

David Mulle

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2009, 06:47:49 PM »
Had a quick email exchange with Ran, and he suggested I post the following:  If the dates work out with my schedule, (TBD) it would be my pleasure to have those of you who are coming on the Lowcountry Jaunt to Secession Club in Beaufort, SC either the day before or the day after the trip concludes.

Those of you who are coming on the trip, and want to do this "add on" just reply to this post, and I'll see if we can make it all work out.

Joel,
That is very kind of you.  If it works with your schedule, I'd love to see Secession.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2009, 06:55:36 PM »
David, given your track record, I'd suggest shipping your clubs to SC via FedEx, or drive!   Have a great time, that sounds like an excellent trip.

Regards,
Bill (who suffered with you twice!)

David Mulle

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2009, 07:17:58 PM »
David, given your track record, I'd suggest shipping your clubs to SC via FedEx, or drive!   Have a great time, that sounds like an excellent trip.

Regards,
Bill (who suffered with you twice!)

Bill,
I have noticed a trend - you were on every trip where my clubs were lost.  You're not coming to this one are you???   

Bill_McBride

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2009, 07:24:06 PM »
No such luck, you're safe, I'll be at the Dixie Cup!  ;D

Adam Clayman

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2009, 08:53:44 PM »
Joel, Secession does look like a fascinating place. Thank you for the kind invitation. If your offer doesn't turn into a  logistical nightmare, (for either of us) I'd be interested.

jonathan_becker

Re: Lowcountry trip details now posted in Golf & Travel section New
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2009, 10:28:45 AM »
Bump

Did this trip happen?

If it did, does anyone have anything to share about it?

It sounded like it would be a great few days.  

EDIT - was informed it was cancelled

« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 01:57:33 PM by jonathan becker »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back