News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PThomas

courses with great par 4s: Essex County Club
« on: November 17, 2009, 09:42:51 PM »
was thinkin gbaout my round there today and it hit me how many very good  and interesting par 4s are at Essex:

the downhill 1st bunkered on the right in the fairway and near the green along with some grassy mounds on the right side;

the 2nd with its bunkers jutting in from the right side;

the uphill 6th with its diagonal creek to navigate off the tee;

the 8th with its two level fairway

the downhill 10th with a hill on the right side ...but also trouble on the left if your tee shot runs through

the blind tee shot on 12

the steeply uphill 17th...which leads to....

the steeply downhill 18th

what a collection of par 4s! (and i skipped a few)...talk about not getting bored at a golf course

what other courses have so many great par 4s??
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Mac Plumart

Re: courses with great par 4s: Essex County Club
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 09:45:02 PM »
Inverness!!! :)

I decided to add some verbage to my initial post and I cut and pasted from my website...please excuse some of the wording.

Hole #4 is a 428 yard par 4 that starts with a downhill drive into a wide fairway.  To hit the green, you must attack an elevated green with a long iron.  The green has a crown that slopes from the back and right.  Any shot landing short will roll down a gigantic 25 foot hill and into a valley that protects the green.  If you go long, good luck with your putt
as you will have to deal with this sloping green that feeds back towards this valley.

Hole #7--This par 4 plays 434 from the silver tees and the tee box is elevated over the fairway.  In stark contrast to many Ross holes, there are no bunkers on this hole.  Instead, you have to deal with a meandering stream that cuts across the hole out about 200 yards and then turns up and runs the entire right side of the hole.  The approach to the green requires an uphill shot to a bear of a green.  The green sits on a half shelf that slopes so much that most putts from below or beside the hole break very hard.  However, if you are above the hole you will be faced with the potential to roll down the hill and thirty yards back into the fairway. Ugh!

Hole #10 is short par 4 that has a wide open fairway with just a few bunkers off to the right.  However, the approach plays massively down hill with a creek in front of the green.  The most interesting part of this hole is that the green seems to be on a stage as it is raised about 3 feet all the way around.  This stage has sloping sides and a slightly crowned green.  Long approaches and long putts will roll off the stage.  Let's just hope you’re not short because you will roll back into that creek.  Subtle...but brilliant.

Hole #18---If you know golf history, standing on the 18th tee box at Inverness is a magical feeling.  Who could forget Bob Tway's chip-in from the sand to beat Greg Norman in the 1986 PGA Championship?  Nevertheless, you stand on the tee and think about trying to drive the green.  But that vast number of bunkers all over the hole stare you down.  As you approach the green you notice "Death Valley" off to the right and the wicked, wicked, wicked slope that the green is on.  I would argue that this 306 yard par 4 is the hardest short par 4 in all of golf.  An interesting fact concerning this hole is that if you play it around lunch time many of the members will be eating lunch on the veranda overlooking 18...this adds a little extra pressure to the shots.  Perhaps the highlight of my golfing career is the ovation I got when I pulled off a miraculous flop shot over the bunkers and somehow avoiding "Death Valley" on my approach to the green.  That was cool!!!

« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 10:06:17 PM by Mac Plumart »
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 10:49:01 PM »
In NJ, Hollywood and Mt Ridge have great par 4's.

Plainfield and Ridgewood aren't bad either

Matt_Ward

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 10:55:34 PM »
Paul:

Among modern courses I have played -- Rock Creek in MT, Doak's newest is the best I have played with such a rich assortment of different par-4's. In fact, the wide variety of the holes there is what makes the course so grand.

PThomas

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 12:00:07 AM »
Mac - i agree that Inverness also has some good ones...but i think Essex has even more!

Patrick, Plainfield is another one of my all-time favorite courses, i agree with you there...Hollywood is also very good....Ridgewood i played in HEAVY rain so i really need to play it again to give it a fair shake, and i have yet to play Mtn. Ridge

Matt - its people like you ravin g about Rock Creek that are causing me and a friend to plan on going out there next year! 
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Matt_Ward

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 11:20:48 AM »
Paul:

Then by all means book your trip NOW.

Rock Creek has many virtues but Doak's assemblage of the wide variety of par-4's there is what makes it so special for me.

You will not be disappointed.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back