News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Whitaker

Tyler, Texas
« on: November 15, 2009, 08:24:10 PM »
I have a friend who is moving from Greenville, SC to Tyler, TX the first week in December. He is a good golfer (5 handicap) and a nice fellow.

Are there any GCA'ers who reside or play golf in the vicinity of Tyler? I'd like to hook my friend up with some golf companions in the area as he knows no one out there.

Thanks!

Michael Whitaker
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Steve Lang

Re: Tyler, Texas
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 09:27:59 PM »
 8) Mike,

Kinda a swap there.. been in both towns.. and less hills, nooks and cranny's in Tyler,  but he'll be real close to Dallas and folks there, and not really all that far away from Lufkin with Crown Colony or north side of Lake Livingston with Whispering Pines for some small road trips.. 

If he makes it down to Houston area or we get the 30th Parallel Gang together again we'll look forward to including him. 
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 10:54:58 PM »
Steve, it's over 90 miles from Dallas to Tyler.  I don't know anything about Tyler (the "Rose City") except that it's a long way from anywhere - like a lot of places in Texas.   :o

Maybe there's a decent local club.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 11:46:01 PM »
Mike, Crown Colony is a solid course. It is actually better than solid, it is flat good. The only negative is being in a residential developement. I do not know of any other really good places for a golfer to call home in area. WP is good but not close and very expensive. It is a wealthy mans 2nd or 3rd club, not a primary club.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 07:02:16 AM »
Tyler to Lufkin = 84 miles.  Crown Colony is out of range for a first club where you'd like to be able to hit balls at lunch.

Nick Cauley

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 07:14:47 AM »
Pine Dunes in Frankston Texas is the best golf course in the area.  It is the best public course in the state of Texas I have played.  A true hidden gem and a must see.   :)

Jeff Zeagler

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 10:41:03 AM »
I'd second the opinion on Pines Dunes being the best course in the area, though it is probably 20-miles from Tyler.  I have a couple of friends that are members at Hollytree Country Club in Tyler, TX.  The course was designed by Robert von Hagge and Bruce Devlin in 1983 and weaves through a neighborhood development.  I enjoyed the course the  only time I played it and seem to recall it putting a lot of pressure on accurate ball-striking.  Hollytree has a ton of good players and is a fun environment.  In the fall 2008 edition of Golf Digest Index, Hollytree was listed #5 in "The 50 Clubs with the Best Players" article.  I've also played Eagles Bluff Country Club, which is about 15 miles outside Tyler as well.  I would definitely put it behind Pine Dunes and Hollytree.  Garden Valley Golf Club is a semi-private club northwest of Tyler just off of Interstate 20 but have not played the course.  Hope this helps.   

Sam Morrow

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 10:53:30 AM »
There is also The Cascades which is on the loop in Tyler. Hosts the Texas State Open, hard golf course, terrible routing but a fun place to play with good facilities and nice folks.

Chris Cupit

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 06:53:12 PM »
This will be of no help but my family is from nearby Longview. Earl Campbell was from Tyler for whatever that's worth. Anyway my uncle owns Longview CC. In absolutely no way is it architecturally interesting. Public, blue Jean wearing, beer drinkinggolf. They have a few three wheel golf carts to rent but mostly guys walk. My cousin Debbie will have made the ham sandwiches earlier that am.

Right out of tin cup although LCCs range isn't as nice

good luck

Bill_McBride

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, 07:13:27 PM »
Chris, do they walk in June-September heat?   :o ::)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back