News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Greg Tallman

Course Opening - Cabo
« on: July 25, 2009, 02:33:16 PM »
Well it looks as though the fantastic Davis Love course here in Cabo will finally be opening... The Dunes Course @ Diamante Cabo San Lucas

The plan is for a soft opening in October for invitees and friends and then November 1 to the public (select hotels and those introduced by friends of the project).

This should provide Cabo with a nice shot in the arm in terms of golf publicity as I would imagine this will be among the best courses opened anywhere in the world this year.

Have been trying to work with Ran to set up a 3-4 day outing here playing Diamante, our Ocean Course and arranging a day truip up to Doak's new offering at Bay of Dreams. the holdup is Bay of Dreams that may or may not be open during the timeframe we were looking at.

At any rate the Diamante opening is exciting for those of us in Cabo where things had admittedly grown a bit stale. The ability to play 2 truly world class courses with another half dozen just a notch below that makes for a great golf destination.

Ok, Cabo commercial is now over.

Thomas Patterson

Re: Course Opening - Cabo
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 05:56:54 PM »
Excellent news, the last pictures I saw of the Dunes course looked fantastic!  I think it's about due time for a trip down to Mexico....

Raymond

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 07:06:22 PM »
Greg,

As you are aware I'll be there in October. If nothing else I would love to see Diamante and hopefully buy you a brew or two.
It's been way too long since I've been to Cabo and am very much looking forward to re-uniting with the Ocean Course, always on my all time favorite list.

Ray

Greg Tallman

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 12:15:57 PM »
Greg,

As you are aware I'll be there in October. If nothing else I would love to see Diamante and hopefully buy you a brew or two.
It's been way too long since I've been to Cabo and am very much looking forward to re-uniting with the Ocean Course, always on my all time favorite list.

Ray

Ray,

The first week or so of October may be tough but I imagine I can call in a  marker so long as the banker types have already come and gone and left the team alone. Keep in touch and I will certainly make the effort to set this up for you.

Jed Peters

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 12:57:28 PM »
Greg,

Ray

Ray,

The first week or so of October may be tough but I imagine I can call in a  marker so long as the banker types have already come and gone and left the team alone. Keep in touch and I will certainly make the effort to set this up for you.

Greg--check your pm.....

Thanks,

Jed

Raymond

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 03:47:26 PM »
Greg,

Absolutely understand if it doesn't work out.
We are coming to Cabo for an anniversary trip, so golf or GCA will not the primary focus of SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED. However, since she doesn't play golf and I don't do beach, some compromises will be made. I'm just happy to be coming back to Cabo and letting a little golf get in the way of a romantic week in Heaven.

Ray

Rob Rigg

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 10:38:17 PM »
Greg,

I will be down there early next year with the fam (if they let me go . . .) - looking fwd to seeing the course and congrats on the pending opening despite the tough times.

Is it walkable or carts only (like all the other courses in cabo :) )?

Thx

paul cowley

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 01:06:24 PM »
Greg.....thanks again for your promo!

We indeed are up and rolling again towards a finish/opening.

I was there this past Monday thru Thursday and the finish detail is well under way....and I won't rest until we weed, doze, de veg and sprig the course so that Senor Jowdy can't lose a ball....and so that you will be able to confidently drive at least two greens on the front  before the back kicks in....but 17 should be a good eagle op.

If you haven't seen 14, its a real eye opener....I reduced the left greenside hill even further.
All and all I feel its gone from the quirkiest hole to one of the best....assuming you play from 525 or so.

Back in a few weeks....maybe we could finally meet...best place is out there between 7 and 6....I'll stay later if you bring the beer.

Hasta en tres semanas,

Pa ool
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Greg Tallman

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 04:33:02 PM »
Greg.....thanks again for your promo!

We indeed are up and rolling again towards a finish/opening.

I was there this past Monday thru Thursday and the finish detail is well under way....and I won't rest until we weed, doze, de veg and sprig the course so that Senor Jowdy can't lose a ball....and so that you will be able to confidently drive at least two greens on the front  before the back kicks in....but 17 should be a good eagle op.

If you haven't seen 14, its a real eye opener....I reduced the left greenside hill even further.
All and all I feel its gone from the quirkiest hole to one of the best....assuming you play from 525 or so.

Back in a few weeks....maybe we could finally meet...best place is out there between 7 and 6....I'll stay later if you bring the beer.

Hasta en tres semanas,

Pa ool

Paul, When you say you reduced the left greenside hill at 14 did you reveal more of the putting surface (not that you could see the surface but reveal that it opens up)? I caught a glimpse of an approach during The Open that reminded me of the final 150 yards or so of 14, don't recall which hole.  Will there be a wind tunnel effect on 14 or is it so protected that only the final approach might be subject to the wind? Never got a feel for that during my visits.

Yes, I can comfortably drive two greens on the front nine, #2 and #7  ;)

Given the wind and the "lagoon" on 12 would you consider that perhaps the toughest (most unconfortable) tee shot on the course? Pretty generous fairway but with a strong(normal) wind you will have to aim at the edge of the lagoon to keep it in play I would assume.

Please send me a note before your next visit and I will make a point ot get out there one day with beer in hand. I hope Pacifico Light is OK. If you see a gray Jeep barreling down the beach headed for the 17th fairway that will be me.

Me thinks you will not be resting anytime during this millenium if you wish to attain the aforementioned goal.

Paul Jones

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 09:30:18 PM »
WOW the pictures from the website look fantastic - http://diamantelife.com/
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Paul Jones

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2009, 09:35:16 PM »
Is there a website for Bay of Dreams?
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

paul cowley

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2009, 08:56:10 AM »
Greg....we blew out most of the last 200 yds of the dune on the left of #14 to finally create a second landing area and a window to the sea....we did leave most of the hidden aspects of the green, but the entire complex now has more of the tussled look of the front side.

About half the holes shown in the website are dated and don't look that way anymore. We are getting there.

Thinking about no formal raking except by staff, and the entire site a groundable club waste area.
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Greg Tallman

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2009, 08:49:16 PM »

Greg Tallman

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2009, 08:52:18 PM »
Greg,

I will be down there early next year with the fam (if they let me go . . .) - looking fwd to seeing the course and congrats on the pending opening despite the tough times.

Is it walkable or carts only (like all the other courses in cabo :) )?

Thx

Rob,

Not all other courses in Cabo are carts only. You are more than welcome to walk The Ocean Course should you choose. It's not that bad of a walk.

No congrats to me I am only a fan of the place, no affiliation at all.

Look me up while you are here, whether for golf or a michelada.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2009, 08:58:08 PM »
Greg....we blew out most of the last 200 yds of the dune on the left of #14 to finally create a second landing area and a window to the sea....we did leave most of the hidden aspects of the green, but the entire complex now has more of the tussled look of the front side.

About half the holes shown in the website are dated and don't look that way anymore. We are getting there.

Thinking about no formal raking except by staff, and the entire site a groundable club waste area.

I saw Bill, Greg and Eric last evening. Between my detailing my soap opera of a life we talked about 14 and they told me of the changes. That is a huge change... wow!

Look forward to meeting you during your next visit... you can educate me on design and I will keep you in stitches with my saga of having someone suqat in my house!!! I knew squatting was popular here in Mexico but this is crazy! Enough to make one swear off women all together. Well not really.

Mark Woodger

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2009, 04:54:45 PM »
hi,

Wondering if people can help me. I am potentially going to Cabo in March and was trying to find some info on how to play this new course. I took a look at the website but couldnt see any information on how to play the course and the potential cost.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Mark

Greg Tallman

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2009, 07:45:11 PM »
hi,

Wondering if people can help me. I am potentially going to Cabo in March and was trying to find some info on how to play this new course. I took a look at the website but couldnt see any information on how to play the course and the potential cost.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Mark

Mark,

Send ma a private message and I will facilitate the necessary introductions.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2009, 10:02:55 PM »
Looks very special already!!!!!!!!!!!!
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

TEPaul

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2009, 10:21:25 PM »
Paul:

You always told me that site was one of the most special raw opportunities imaginable and that I oughta come see it in the process of design and development. Now looking at it, I wish I had. From that preview you weren't shittin'! Some of the on-ground shots of various holes you sent me earlier seemed reminiscent of Timber Point to me, one of Alison's special ones, now unfortunately sort of NLE.

Congratulations, paly; you and your team look like they REALLY did good. I know it was a long time coming and a lot of travel and a lot of time on your part!

Don't worry, although that site really is overwhelming (as Mackenzie said about Cypress) I'm checking out very carefully what I can see from the hole CONCEPTS and strategies of some of those holes---the all-important element, as you know! Looks wonderful so far!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 10:29:34 PM by TEPaul »

Tom MacWood

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2009, 11:14:55 PM »
Timber Point? What is reminiscent of Timber Point?

Greg Tallman

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2009, 11:37:18 AM »
Paul,

10 is a par 5. That's all.  ;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back