News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Warren

Re: Best European Golf Escapes
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2009, 01:27:09 PM »
Tom,

I suspected that might be the case. Shame on you for confirming it!

Alfonso Erhardt

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2009, 02:32:19 PM »
Barcelona's best course is El Prat, a 45 hole inland layout by Greg Norman which opened in 2004. The layout has 18 holes that play through a pine forest and 18 which are played over former open farmland. I think the course is one of the best in Spain in terms of design and is always maintained beautifully, playing very firm and fast. I do recommend visiting if in Barcelona. The course replaces the old El Prat, lost to the airport and which was a Javier Arana design. There is also San Cugat, an original Colt design, although substantially changed nowadays.

Further up north (about an hour) there are PGA de Catalunya, which is a nice layout set out in the forest and Empordá, a 36 hole layout by Von Hagge, which is quite good.

I would say that Barcelona is not Paris or London, but not such a place where you would not consider taking your clubs and definitely much better than Italy in that respect.

El Saler is a completely different story, however.....best layout over here without hesitation. Maintenance not up to the design standard but it has improved in the last couple of years.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2009, 05:11:37 PM »
It is becomeing a tradition for me to reply to these threads, but I wouldn't want to bore you by repeating the same old, same old; so I offer the following quote.

"Biarritz".

Enjoy ;)
Let's make GCA grate again!

Ash Towe

« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2009, 05:27:15 PM »
Tom/Alfonso,

Thanks for the information.  More evidence that GCA is a fantastic resource.

Cheers, Ash

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2009, 05:36:44 PM »
I've been to the Costa Brava (north of Barcelona) and some of the courses there are nice, but in my opinion far from world class. Emporda is completely artifical and doesn't match the surrounding land at all, Catalunya is a PGA course, nuff said. Platja de Pals is a nice resort course, but nothing you wouldn't find in any of the other areas mentioned. The Marbella region is visually dreadful, zero coastline, only hotel after hotel and the courses nothing special either.

The best ideas I've heard on this thread are Valencia and Biarritz. And I would not rule out Italy. True, most of the world-class courses are in the pissy North, but there are at least two great courses near Rome: Acquasanta and Le Querce (yes, Fazio, and I loved it). Olgiata is also supposed to be good, but I haven't played it. However, don't expect "resort amenities" there...

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Christoph Meister

« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2009, 06:14:31 PM »
As most golfers, especially my fellow Krauts, are now escaping rainy winter heading for Golf in Portugal, Spain or Turkey golf courses in Italy tend not to be overpopulated. Italy would allways be my personal first choice and I am very glad about all those people going to Italy without their golf clubs and I rather prefer not to tell anyone about the beauties of golf and food in Italy - also you don't have to bring your own women like in Turkey!
Golf's Missing Links - Continental Europe
 https://www.golfsmissinglinks.co.uk/index.php/wales-2
EAGHC European Association of
Golf Historians & Collectors
http://www.golfika.com
German Hickory Golf Society e.V.
http://www.german-hickory.com

Bill_McBride

« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2009, 06:18:11 PM »
As most golfers, especially my fellow Krauts, are now escaping rainy winter heading for Golf in Portugal, Spain or Turkey golf courses in Italy tend not to be overpopulated. Italy would allways be my personal first choice and I am very glad about all those people going to Italy without their golf clubs and I rather prefer not to tell anyone about the beauties of golf and food in Italy - also you don't have to bring your own women like in Turkey!

Isn't that last sentence the truth!

Sean_A

« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2009, 06:28:31 PM »
I wasn't in the least bowled over by PGA Catalunya nor Pals.  Not bad courses, but certainly not worth making a serious effort to play.  

Easily, the most impressive course/club I played in Europe is http://www.circologolfvenezia.com/homeeng.php  It is by no means a great course, but believe it or not, after dealing with the touristas for a few days it is a welcome break if you are hangin about Venice for a weekish (which I strongly recommend!).  Its on the southern end of the Lido and makes for a great day out combined with a few fish osterias across the water in Chioggia.  I know folks don't think to combine a golf with Italy, but their clubs are just as cool as the rest of the country and some are quite storied.  I am not saying Italy a golf destination, more a place where you may get a game or two while on holiday.

Ciao  
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Chechesee Creek & Old Barnwell

David_Tepper

« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2009, 06:44:32 PM »
Golf du Medoc Hotel & Spa in Bordeaux is a well-regarded 36-hole resort complex. I recall Philip Gawith having posted positive comments about the place here over the past couple of years. I don't know how warm/sunny the weather is there over the winter months compared to Biarritz, Lisbon, etc.  

http://www.golf-du-medoc.com/
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 06:46:06 PM by David_Tepper »

Sean_A

« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2009, 06:48:36 PM »
Golf du Medoc Hotel & Spa in Bordeaux is a well-regarded 36-hole resort complex. I recall Philip Gawith having posted positive comments about the place here over the past couple of years. I don't know how warm/sunny the weather is there over the winter months compared to Biarritz, Lisbon, etc.   

David

I always forget about G d Medoc!  The Coore course is the best I played in Europe (probably just pips Praia del Rey), but I didn't care for the resort.  I don't much see the point of these resorts when the towns are so lovely. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Chechesee Creek & Old Barnwell

David_Tepper

« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2009, 07:01:27 PM »
Sean -

I suppose it is a question of whether you want a "real vacation" or a "golf vacation." ;)

If you are looking for a place to play 54 or 72 holes of golf, have your meals and fall into bed over a long weekend, a place like Golf du Medoc would appear to fill the bill admirably. I think that is what Scott Warren is looking for. I have not been there (or played golf anywhere on the continent).

On the other hand, if you are looking to visit a different country, mingle with the locals, sample the local delicacies, see the countryside, etc., why even bother bringing your golf clubs?

DT   

Bill_McBride

« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2009, 07:19:36 PM »
Sean -

I suppose it is a question of whether you want a "real vacation" or a "golf vacation." ;)

If you are looking for a place to play 54 or 72 holes of golf, have your meals and fall into bed over a long weekend, a place like Golf du Medoc would appear to fill the bill admirably. I think that is what Scott Warren is looking for. I have not been there (or played golf anywhere on the continent).

On the other hand, if you are looking to visit a different country, mingle with the locals, sample the local delicacies, see the countryside, etc., why even bother bringing your golf clubs?

DT   

It's dangerous how much you and I think alike.  I would be on my way to Lucca for some great Tuscan cucina and strolling (passagieta) on top of the wall.  I even have a guy, Giovanni Fosella, who rents lovely apartments in il centro historico.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2009, 07:47:03 PM »
Well, why can't you have both? Play golf on a great course one day, do the sightseeing the next day. All the while staying in a nice hotel with good food. That is vacation to me :)

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Sean_A

« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2009, 01:52:38 AM »
Sean -

DT   

David

I spose I have always been one for the proper holiday with a game of golf here and there if there are interesting courses about.  If I am going for a pure golf holiday, Europe is not really on my list of places to go at the moment.  There are jfar too many other enticing places for for swinging a club.

Ciao

Scott Warren

« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2009, 02:28:29 AM »
David T: I am actually chasing the opposite! An interesting bit of culture on a foreign country to accompany the golf - which is the main reason The Algarve has never really excited me.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2009, 02:42:10 AM »
Scott - in that case then Belek might well suit - there are tons of wonderful classical remains around Antalya, though you would need a car. And you could always arrange your trip to give you a two day stop off in Istanbul, as most flight routings to Antalya mean you need to change planes there anyway.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back