News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Niall C

Re: What course that has never held a major should hold a major?
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2009, 06:09:35 AM »
I think it would fantastic to the the Open be held in Northern Ireland. However with politics I can't ever see that happening.

Actually Pat, with politicians the way they are, I could see it happen, and why not ?

Niall

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2009, 07:06:47 AM »

Niall

Sorry, I do not see it happening in Northern Ireland for the simple fact that terrorism has not gone away. It is still there albeit under the surface which is acceptable to our politicians. Nevertheless, I cannot see The Open in Northern Ireland ever again, the reason for that is again down to the politicians who would like to see a united Ireland again, against the wishes of the majority in the North. But then, who gives a F*#K about democracy, certain not our politicians or our EU masters who will keep forcing a votes until they get the one they want.

Melvyn

Scott Warren

« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2009, 07:24:53 AM »
Can you explain what you mean by the last sentence, Melvyn?

Tom Birkert

« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2009, 07:58:40 AM »
Mark,

I have to disagree with your comment about the US PGA having the weakest field. If anything it tends to have the strongest - I think one year they had 99 of the top 100 players in the world competing.

The weakest field is - by far - The Masters due to a combination of factors (invitation only, past winners, amateurs etc).

I tend to like what the US PGA have done with their course set ups recently and I think the USGA noticed and amended their course set up accordingly - albeit still with a lot more difficulty!

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2009, 07:59:56 AM »
We have spoken about this so many times before but INFRASTRUCTURE is why so many great courses dont get the Open. The R & A are currently happy with their 'nine'. They would like to go back to Ireland but it is the infrastructure of Portrush or indeed RCD that inhibits this not any political reasons. Golf tournaments are currenty played in both Northern and Southern Ireland as are other great sporting events.
On the same note the Open could be played in Ireland, the R & A banner covers GB & I for its events and the 1949 Amateur Championship was played in Ireland.
Porthcawl is the most likey newbie that could be added and thats currenty a slim chance, although infrastructure is improving all the time. Dornoch, Aberdeen are just too remote to attract the £$£$£$ which has become so important in generating money for golf.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Tom Birkert

« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2009, 08:42:04 AM »
I also think that the R&A have got it right in their rota of venues - and I also like what the USGA do with The US Open.

It's in stark contrast to the Ryder Cup, which for me is in danger of losing a lot of kudos due to the whoring out of it around Europe, to venues which have absolutely no right to be holding such an important event. If you have £20M they'll play the Ryder Cup in your back garden. It's a joke.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2009, 09:15:58 AM »

Scott

Ireland (Southern Ireland) who got the right to vote on the EU said No, but to our EU masters that was the wrong answer, so Southern Ireland had to re run the election and voted yes last month. So if No is not what our EU Gods want (remember these guys are not voted into office but want us to vote, well some of us and only if we vote for what they want), then we just get a second bite of the apple, however if it is the wrong answer then they want us to vote again. However, at least they were allowed to vote unlike us poor sods, we have to accept the word of Brown (that’s the non-elected Prime Minister)

As for Northern Island, it is a done deal by those bastards at Westminster so I do not see The Open being played in Ireland again. That of course is just my opinion.

Melvyn

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2009, 09:45:51 AM »
Melvyn

What do you mean when you say that Northern Ireland is a "done deal"?
and, by the way, what does that have to do with major golf championships?

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2009, 09:58:54 AM »

Rory

Guys we are going round in circles, I originally said that I did not think Northern Ireland will ever hold The Open again. Reasons are political, i.e. the majority of the politicians have already decided what they want - the people do not matter – but if a united Ireland then The Open is gone from that land. They will have their own Open, which will cover the whole land.

I have my own opinion on that but this post is about major golf tournaments, I was just answering Scott’s question. United Ireland mean in my opinion The Open is gone forever from the Emerald Isle.

Melvyn 

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2009, 10:07:37 AM »
In fairness there is an Irish Open, a Scottish Open and an English Open, which I assume are administered by the nations' respective golf unions. In the case of Ireland, the GUI administers the game throughout the Island without regard to political boundaries much in the way the Irish Rugby Football Union does.  If Northern Ireland is absorbed into the Republic of Ireland or there is some other mechanism for the political unification of the island, you may be correct that The Open will never be played there.  The premise on which your point is based, however, that the political unification of the island of Ireland is a "done deal" is false.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2009, 10:12:24 AM »
Melvyn you really talk some nonsense sometimes. The Open could go to Ireland, the same as it can go to Scotland, Wales or England which hold their own opens. The R & A is GB & I for the purpose of golf. There is probably more chance of the Open going to Eire than Northern Ireland, but thats because of infrastructure.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #61 on: November 15, 2009, 12:15:54 PM »

Rory

I wish you were right, but it’s just a matter of time after all its what America wants. But let's stick to golf

Adrian

As usual, you have all the answers, but before you strain yourself with all your words of wisdom, perhaps read what I actually said. I still maintain the opinion there is no chance of it going to Northern Ireland but time will tell. Nevertheless,  I do not remember any Open in Northern Ireland in 1960’ nor the 1970’s or the 1980’s, not even in the 1990’s or come to that not in the last decade either,  wonder why, but so far I seem to be right. I am sure Adrian will tell us al, that he has lived and worked in Northern Ireland and knows it well. Remember Adrian you make a living from golf, so one has to wonder if your opinions are always tainted by self-interest.

Melvyn

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #62 on: November 15, 2009, 12:47:34 PM »
Melvyn - Maybe you shoud read what you wrote.

The Amateur championship has been played in Northern Ireland several times, 1960, 1970, couple of times in the 90s and a recent one, the Seniors Open had quite a long spell at Portrush. There is nothing politically that is a problem. The problem with Portrush is that the Open generates around 150,000 customers of which 80-90,000 are unique, whilst some will travel beds for a good number will be required and there are no beds, thats without the road issues etc. Is Portrush good enough as a course? Yes.
When the 51 Open went there it was chaos and relative problems with hosting a modern major have ampified, in the future who knows though, but unlikey.

You mentioned that if Ireland and Northern Ireland became one that the Open would be gone forever. I think that Open could go to Ireland, the amateur has been to Portmarnock, that championship is run under the same terms, indeed who knows in the future our Open might end up in Qatar or Dubai, there does not seem to be any rule and as someone mentioned in the Ryder Cup thread if you paid £30,000,000 you could probaby play it around Tesco's.

Melvyn, I doubt you wil be convinced that the reason is not political, sadly most reasons are financial, if they wern't we might even see a return to Prestwick.

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #63 on: November 16, 2009, 04:36:55 AM »
Why are Royal Portrush and Royal County Down "unsuitable"?

Steve:

The courses may be suitable, but it's the infrastructure that is lacking. Because of the "troubles", tourism collapsed in the north and it has never recovered. As a result of this, there are not enough hotel beds or good quality hotels. The few good hotels that do exist are mostly concentrated in Belfast, which is quite a distance from Royal Portrush and Royal County Down.

Sorry, I do not see it happening in Northern Ireland for the simple fact that terrorism has not gone away. It is still there albeit under the surface which is acceptable to our politicians. Nevertheless, I cannot see The Open in Northern Ireland ever again, the reason for that is again down to the politicians who would like to see a united Ireland again, against the wishes of the majority in the North. But then, who gives a F*#K about democracy, certain not our politicians or our EU masters who will keep forcing a votes until they get the one they want.

Melyvn:

Why are you dragging the EU into this?

Nevertheless,  I do not remember any Open in Northern Ireland in 1960’ nor the 1970’s or the 1980’s, not even in the 1990’s or come to that not in the last decade either,  wonder why, but so far I seem to be right. I am sure Adrian will tell us al, that he has lived and worked in Northern Ireland and knows it well. Remember Adrian you make a living from golf, so one has to wonder if your opinions are always tainted by self-interest.

Melvyn:

Holding an Open in Northern Ireland in the late 60s, 70s, 80, or 90s wouldn't have been a option, for obvious reasons: security! Even if security hadn't been an issue, the lack of infrastructure would be.

Yes, you're probably 99.999999% correct. The Open may never be played in Ireland, North or South. Who know's what will happen in the future? Maybe the stumbling block will be that Portrush, RCD etc. will not meet the 7500 yds length requirement that the R&A will insist upon. ;)

Dónal.

Scott Warren

« Reply #64 on: November 16, 2009, 04:42:33 AM »
I keep reading that because it is the R&A's championship it could be held in Ireland.

Well, that being so, it could theoretically also be held anywhere else the R&A controls (is it just the US and Mexico that the USGA runs?). After all, it is officially The Open Championship - no mention of Britain!

Mark Pearce

« Reply #65 on: November 16, 2009, 05:23:05 AM »
Gentlemen, we have finally completed the circle.  Pat Craig and Melvyn, alone, arguing, against all evidence, that the Open won't go back to NI for political reasons.  Now they have found happiness together, should we not leave them to enjoy it?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #66 on: November 16, 2009, 07:04:13 AM »

Dónal

I would be happy to see The Open at Portrush or any course in Ireland, I went to boarding school over there so know the place and a few of the courses well. I certainly have no problem but it is just not viable anymore IMHO. Nothing produced has so far removed my belief that The Open will not return.

Mark  “against all evidence”, what evidence? Many opinions but where is the evidence?
In addition, who is this Pat Craig you mentioned, does not seem to ring any bells, should I be aware of him, is he famous, perhaps a well known Victorian figure worthy of note, but alas, the name totally escaped me. Tell me more, on second thoughts, No please do not bother, from the little you have mentioned it would seem I may not enjoy even a drink with him let alone a round of golf, but then why would I say that, as I have not met him. I will reserve my judgement until we ever meet.

Scott, perhaps you need to understand the word Open when referring to ‘The Open’. The Tournament is open to all comers, which in truth in 1860 it was not but that was corrected in 1861.

As for the R&A having ‘The Open’ anywhere in the world, now that is funny and perhaps what one comes to expect from an ‘upside down’ guy here in UK.

I was going to say from Down Under but expect the way this discussion group is going these days I would be accused of advocating Tiger’s ‘ Death Wish List’ (of hurting others without due care and attention).

Guys, lets not forget this is a tournament born out of Prestwick, not anywhere else in the world, it’s the greatest golfing competition there is and the greatest victory is always when it is at St Andrews. Do not agree, then ask the winners of The Open.

Melvyn

Scott Warren

« Reply #67 on: November 16, 2009, 07:10:50 AM »

Scott, perhaps you need to understand the word Open when referring to ‘The Open’. The Tournament is open to all comers, which in truth in 1860 it was not but that was corrected in 1861.

As for the R&A having ‘The Open’ anywhere in the world, now that is funny and perhaps what one comes to expect from an ‘upside down’ guy here in UK.

I was going to say from Down Under but expect the way this discussion group is going these days I would be accused of advocating Tiger’s ‘ Death Wish List’ (of hurting others without due care and attention).

In all honesty Melvyn, I have no idea what on earth you are talking about. And it's only just gone midday...
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 07:17:19 AM by Scott Warren »

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #68 on: November 16, 2009, 07:34:48 AM »

Scott

Don't you mean the middle of the night for you.

Melvyn

Scott Warren

« Reply #69 on: November 16, 2009, 08:02:07 AM »

Scott

Don't you mean the middle of the night for you.

Melvyn

No, Melvyn, I don't. It is the same time of day in London as in Sussex or Essex or wherever it is you live.

Back to the topic, the courses I'd most like to see played in a major would be:

The European - might well be the first course to be "softened" for the big dance, instead of given more teeth!
The Addington - but only if it were match play.
Rye - that would be fun! I bags a spot between 4 and 7!

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #70 on: November 16, 2009, 08:06:50 AM »
Melvyn I find you quite distastefull as a person your comments are often derrogatory, offensive, inaccurate, biased and I think you should be removed from this site, you seem bitter about almost everything except your passion for OTM. You turn virtually every thread around into a campaign against golf carts, anti new golf courses or attack others with racist comments.

At the least I think you should apologise.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #71 on: November 16, 2009, 08:32:26 AM »

Adrian

You as with all on this site have the right to you opinion, so do I. As for "derrogatory, offensive, inaccurate, biased" and "bitter” I fell you equally share those with many on this site. As for being removed  from this site, I have more than once stated that if asked to go I will. But, please remember people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

I see you are strong on the right to bear arms but the right of freedom of thought and speech is rather low on your list of priorities, ops the halo is slipping.

I will not be calling for your removable, but then I am not bitter, I just state an opinion from what I have observed or read, perhaps at times in the opinion of others it may be seen as derogatory, offensive, inaccurate, biased and bitter. I cannot and will never try to stop others thinking, perhaps that is the reason for some of my comments in the first place.

Are you related to Tiger in any way, share his need to get things off your chest in a strong manner without consideration for others?

Adrian, speak or write to Ran, I will observe his or the majority decision about leaving

Melvyn

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #72 on: November 16, 2009, 08:52:02 AM »
Melvyn

I'm not sure why you think the US wants a unified Ireland.  The participation of Clinton and Mitchell in the peace process was intended to end the violence and assist in the adoption of a paradigm that provide for security and enable the various constituencies to work collaboratively.  That cannot be extrapolated into a policy favoring a united Ireland.  Do you know something I do not?

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #73 on: November 16, 2009, 08:57:38 AM »
Rory

With all due respect, lets get back to golf, I was just answering a question and given my reasons. On another forum I would go into further details but not here, lets just stay with golf.

There are great courses both north and south of the boarder offering much enjoyment to those seeking pleasure from golf.

Melvyn

« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 09:55:46 AM by Melvyn Hunter Morrow »

Kirk Gill

« Reply #74 on: November 16, 2009, 03:46:44 PM »
It takes a $3 million guarantee for Tiger to come and play in Australia. If the "PGW" left the United States and went global, would the players travel for it? I remember the times when it was hard to get players to go to Britain to play in The Open. How many would show up in Bangalore?
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back