News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

A.G._Crockett

Chattanooga G&CC (Ross/Bergin)
« on: November 10, 2009, 08:27:26 PM »
I had the opportunity to play Chattanooga G&CC this past Sunday.  It was not only the first time that I had seen the course, but I got to play it with Bill Bergin, the architect that renovated/restored the course several years ago.  The club itself dates back to 1896 and started the Southern Golf Association in 1902, with the course being a Donald Ross design from 1920.  The club hosted the Southern Amateur that same year, and a kid named Bobby Jones managed to win the tournament.  Bill was brought in to restore the course after decades of unfortunate changes, and the results are spectacular, with the original routing intact.

Chattanooga is a par 71 that plays 6685 from the back tees, with 2 par 4's on each side that are longer than 450 yds., and with typically long Ross par 3's.  In fact, BOTH nines finish with a par three; #9 is 178 uphill, and #18 is 222, also uphill.  Wonderful, demanding holes with good places to miss and disaster if you miss in the wrong places; and the fact that the nine's are finishing with par 3's never seems odd on a Ross routing, including Chattanooga.

The club sits on the Tennessee River, with several holes playing along the bluffs of the river.  There were no original drawings to work from, though there were aerials from sometime in the '40's, so the project was to both restore the Ross features that were still there, and give the rest of the course a feeling in keeping with Ross' work.  The membership of the club seems thrilled with the work; a number of members went out of their way to come over and speak to Bill during the afternoon both in the grill and on the course.  Perhaps the best proof of the club's satisfaction is that the scorecard now lists the Course Architects co-equally: Donald Ross and Bill Bergin. 

For any of you that have a chance to get to Chattanooga and play the course, make it a point to do it.  It is a thoroughly enjoyable round; very Ross-like in that you come off the course thinking, "I could have played better than that; that wasn't that hard!"  It was nice to be challenged on every shot without being bludgeoned to death in the process.

Two other side notes:
     1. For GCA freaks like us, playing a course with the guy who designed it is just a huge treat.  To hear the architect describe what was there before, why and how they changed it, and to see it all firsthand is pure education.  I've gotten to do it a couple of times now, and it is tremendous.  It also makes me realize how little I really understand about how GCA's do what they do.

2. Secondly, I've gotten to play 4 Ross restorations now, each by a different architect.  Two I had not seen "before" (Chattanooga by Bill Bergin and Wilmington Muni by Ron Pritchard) and two I had seen many times prior to the new work (Cape Fear by Kris Spence and Hope Valley by Brian Silva).  I loved all 4, and won't even attempt to rank either the courses or the architects, but it is a fascinating thing to see and study.

I posted this link in another thread, but here is a link to some pictures of Chattanooga before and after; it is a very cool presentation.  You'll also be able to see that the club allowed Bill to remove a number of trees that had significantly reduced the playing corridors since the course was built.

http://bergingolfdesignsbna.homestead.com/ChattanoogaCCTenn.html

Be SURE to look closely at the picture of #17; the pit in front of the green is the site of an old logging pit from which logs were rolled down into the river transport downstream; it was part of the Ross course and then later removed.  The club wanted it restored and playable, which Bill did, and it makes for a very cool hole. 
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Mark Pritchett

Re: Chattanooga G&CC (Ross/Bergin)
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 09:33:39 PM »
A.G.

Great write up.  I thought I would share a few pictures of the course.  I have played the course a hand full of times and enjoy it very much.  However, I never played it before the renovation, so I can't comment on the before/after aspect. 

Opening hole, Tennessee River on the right.

The wonderful uphill Par 3 ninth.

The short Par 4 11th.

The exacting Par 3 13th (about 125 yards).

Morgan Clawson

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 12:19:43 AM »
Wow.  The club certainly got its money's worth.  Bergin did a terrific job.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 06:42:55 AM »
A.G.

Great write up.  I thought I would share a few pictures of the course.  I have played the course a hand full of times and enjoy it very much.  However, I never played it before the renovation, so I can't comment on the before/after aspect. 

Opening hole, Tennessee River on the right.

The wonderful uphill Par 3 ninth.

The short Par 4 11th.

The exacting Par 3 13th (about 125 yards).

Mark,
Thanks for the pictures.  The next to last picture is of the 16th green, I think.  Bill Bergin told me that the bunker that you see in the picture wrapping around the front of the green not only went all the way around the green in the Ross version, but that there were ladders for players to climb up to the green.  That feature wasn't completely restored because of the difficulty of getting equipment to the green surface, but the effect of the bunker wrapping around the front is dramatic.

It is a somewhat unusual feature for a Ross course in that there is almost always a opening in the front of the green, though I did see a similar bunker at Brunswick Country Club.  My memory is that Brunswick hole was a par 3; #16 at Chattanooga is a 555 yd. par 5 that plays slightly uphill for the last half to a very cool punch bowl green.  It is a very good hole with a lot of options.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Scott Warren

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 06:54:54 AM »
Looks awesome. I can't get enough of seeing these Ross courses. There is a such a feeling of space in the pics of the ones I have seen - Plainfield this, Essex County, Holston Hills - can't wait to get my arse to the US and check some of his work out first-hand.

I am starting to see why the US guys hold him in such esteem.

This:

It is a thoroughly enjoyable round; very Ross-like in that you come off the course thinking, "I could have played better than that; that wasn't that hard!"  It was nice to be challenged on every shot without being bludgeoned to death in the process

has certainly been the feeling I have had about most of the Ross courses I've looked at. Interesting to read that is indeed the case.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 07:19:17 AM by Scott Warren »

John Mayhugh

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 07:39:16 AM »
AG & Mark,
Thanks for the commentary and photos.  Any chance you have other pics of the 17th?  Hard to believe they removed that feature at one time.

Scott,
Thinking about adding some time to your US trip?   ;D

Chris Moore

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 09:50:12 AM »
Wow.  That place looks great now.  I had the good fortune of playing there around 1997, and thought it was a pretty good course, and enjoyed the unique par 3 finish on the first and second nines (is there another course of note that has such a finish?).  I did come away from my round wishing the course were not so choked with trees, and it looks like that has been taken care of by the renovation.  Looks like a real pleasure to play. 

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 09:56:42 AM »
Chris,

Aiken Golf Club of recent Dixie Cup fame ends both nines with Par 3's in similar fashion. 

Mark

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 11:31:52 AM »
A Dixie Cup in Chattanooga looks better and better.   ;)

JC Jones

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 11:33:17 AM »
A Dixie Cup in Chattanooga looks better and better.   ;)

I agree.  What options could we have?  

Honors course + Chattanooga G&CC + Lookout Mountain ;) :)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 11:38:56 AM by JC Jones »
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 11:40:51 AM »

If you can arrange the other three, then adding Black Creek would be a great idea as well. 

JC Jones

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2009, 11:42:41 AM »

If you can arrange the other three, then adding Black Creek would be a great idea as well. 

Oh, I had forgotten about Black Creek.  Good call. 8)
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2009, 12:57:22 PM »
As I understand it, the Chattanooga area has great golf, including Lookout Mt., a Raynor course that Brian Silva has done a lot of work on and that has been reviewed here a number of times.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2009, 01:05:58 PM »
As I understand it, the Chattanooga area has great golf, including Lookout Mt., a Raynor course that Brian Silva has done a lot of work on and that has been reviewed here a number of times.

Maybe we can finally figure out a way to get that Crockett guy to a Dixie Cup!

Jamey Bryan

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2009, 01:19:17 PM »
I would like to be the first to register for a Dixie Cup made up of any combination of these courses!

Jamey

john_stiles

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2009, 01:29:22 PM »
Dixie Cup in Chattanooga ?  

Does that mean Anthony will finally be able to relax and be himself.  

It'll be my treat at Mr. T's for delicious pizza and ice cream after play at Black Creek or Lookout.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 01:47:11 PM by john_stiles »

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2009, 01:39:50 PM »
AG & Mark,
Thanks for the commentary and photos.  Any chance you have other pics of the 17th?  Hard to believe they removed that feature at one time.

Scott,
Thinking about adding some time to your US trip?   ;D

Here is the only picture I have of #17.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2009, 02:59:55 PM »

Bill,
I would LOVE to participate in the Dixie Cup, believe me.  My issue as a high school teacher/coach has been and remains two kids in college, one out-of-state.  But I'm getting closer and closer to coming out of the tunnel...

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2009, 03:09:30 PM »
AG & Mark,
Thanks for the commentary and photos.  Any chance you have other pics of the 17th?  Hard to believe they removed that feature at one time.

Scott,
Thinking about adding some time to your US trip?   ;D

Here is the only picture I have of #17.

It is a great picture, but as is so often the case, I don't think that you really get a feel for the elevation change from a photo.  My tee shot was just in front of the first bunker on the right, with the pin just about where it is in this picture.  I could just see the top of the flag; I'd guess that there is about a 20 ft. rise from there to the green surface.  I'd guess that the wall of the pit is 6-8 feet.  In any event, the second shot possibilities are much more uphill than they appear in pictures.

BCrosby

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2009, 03:11:55 PM »
A remarkable collection of golf courses in a fairly small metro area.

Maybe throw in Holston Hills up the road in K'ville?

Milwaukee and Rochester are other smaller metro areas with great sets of courses.

Bob

Bill_McBride

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2009, 03:54:57 PM »

Bill,
I would LOVE to participate in the Dixie Cup, believe me.  My issue as a high school teacher/coach has been and remains two kids in college, one out-of-state.  But I'm getting closer and closer to coming out of the tunnel...

Glad to hear it, my 3 are all in the rear view mirror.   ;D

Last weekend's Dixie Cup was definitely the economy model.  $50 to walk Palmetto (IIRC), $20 at Aiken  8), $40 at Camden.  We may never see that again!

Aiken Golf Club for $20 on Saturday may be the bargain of the century and last century.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2009, 06:19:51 PM »

Milwaukee and Rochester are other smaller metro areas with great sets of courses.

Bob

What, Bob?  No Sewanee?

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2009, 06:40:13 PM »
Yea Sewanee's Right! 

A very enjoyable nine hole course on the mountain.  For an interesting profile on it check out Anthony Pioppi's book To the Nines

and the proposed changes by Brian Silva

Bill_McBride

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2009, 11:13:42 PM »

Bob

What, Bob?  No Sewanee?

Mike

Ah, Sewanee!  My brother went to school there in the mid 60s for his last two years of college.  I had a great time there in February 1965 at one of their famous weekends but that's another story!  Or maybe three or four.......

We played the 9 hole course and it was entertaining if unsophisticated.   ;D  Some cool holes and the price ($1.25 IIRC) was right.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2009, 09:26:40 AM »
The 6th at Sewanee is a fantastic Treedan.
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back