News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Melvyn Morrow

Research as we all know is an ongoing thing, in parts it’s like a snake, leading you on a merry chase through subject matters that on first inspection gives the impression of a dead end. However, by the very nature one has to follow to the last word on that last page, just in case you miss a simple little clue.

I though I knew a reasonable amount about Old Tom, however when certain comments were made by others questioning his contributions in the field of design /architecture, I though I had to dig deeper. Therefore, about 18 months or so ago, I really started in earnest my search to find out more on Old Tom’s design input. I produced my first list of courses with a connection to Old Tom, just under half of that list I sourced from other writers and books, not realising that they had made some errors, which inevitably I reproduced on my list.

The classic being Brora, which according to Malcolm Campbell in his book ‘The Scottish Golf Book’, was originally laid out by Old Tom. Subsequently, I found this to be incorrect when I uncovered the Scotsman report of Sutherland involvement not just in the original 9 but the extension a few years later to 18. However, as I said above one has to read to the end of the page, that last word, because during my search I noted reports that golf had been played at Brora pre Sutherlands design, in fact some half a dozen years earlier to the mid 1880’s. I have been advised that there are stories that Old Tom was responsible for an 1880’s course, but all I have found to date are a couple of reports of the game being played pre 1891/2 at Brora and cannot confirm if Old Tom was or was not involved. Nevertheless an interesting point is that Old Tom was in the area at Dornoch designing their modification around that time, so who knows, but no recorded facts confirming either way. 

The latest additions to the long list of Old Tom’s designs include Strathlene Buckie GC, Dunfermline and Rothesay.  Reports also exist of Kingussie commissioning Old Tom, but he was unable to attend at the appointed time. Also of Hall Blyth, recommending Old Tom for the design of Braid Hills to be assisted by P McEwan of Musselburgh, by the time Edinburgh Council agreed to start the work Old Tom was in Northern Ireland leaving it to McEwan and assistant to complete the design. Then let’s not forgetting his commission for the North Berwick West Links extension assisted by Strath. I believe that the routing was by Old Tom but the works was actually supervised by Whitecross under the eye of Brodie with Strath responsibility being for the construction team for the Greens. Interesting that they had Old Tom visit prior to the opening to give his opinion on the completed course as well as returning later to be part of the Opening Ceremony.

The list continues with more new finds, including Sir Donald Curry’s private 9 hole course at his home near Loch Tay, Kelvinside, Blairlodge School (now moved and known as Polmont GC and Killearn. More courses are currently being checked before being included on my new list, however I must add that I have been greatly helped in my research by Niall Carlton (a fellow Member of GCA.com) who has searched his local newspaper archives in both Glasgow and Elgin.

The picture emerging is that Old Tom was actively involved in designing the golf courses through GB&I. Clubs and the Nobility went to great efforts to seek out his design abilities, however due to pressure of work he was unable to undertake all the designs being asked of him. Then I suppose we should consider that we are talking about a man in his late 60 and early 70’s in a time when the average life span of circa 45 years. Not forgetting that transport in those days was steam train, steam ships then pony and trap. That alone would be a challenge to most of us today not to mention having to survey and designing a course once on site.

The list of courses designed /modified by Old Tom is now close to 100 mark, which does not include the survey only work, Opening of Clubs or attending an opening ceremony let alone using the local facilities.         

In between my searches, I am in the process of writing an account on the design approach of the early Victorian Designers, which will clearly show and no doubt once and for all dismiss the idea that a course was designed, AM and ready for play PM. The process took a minimum 8-12 weeks and the AM/PM misunderstanding will be explained, however I still do not understand why the later designers in the early 20th Century seem to have forgotten the process, considering that they were actually following it in just about every detail.

Slowly the history of the early game is being uncovered, originally much was thought lost due to many early clubhouse fires, but  we are step by step starting to piece together articles and reports which will help us understanding what actually went on in those great days. We need to know all that when on, not to mention the how and why, yet apparently it was not remembered by the next generation of designers. Surprisingly, I have found no big or dark secrets, just common sense in their approach to their work, which makes me wonder why the likes of Simpson and co never understood many of their predecessors.

We must thank guys like Niall Carlton who are digging away at the grass roots of our early history uncovering many interesting items, one being the actual extent of designs work and how active Old Tom was in the overall design process from 1840’s to 1905.

I hope some of the above information may be of interest to some of you

Melvyn

Jim McCann

Re: A few more Courses to add to Old Tom’s List of Design Achievements
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 07:06:40 AM »
Melvyn,

I trust this expansion of the Tom Morris list of courses in no way invalidates the efforts of a golfing associate of mine, Ernie Payne, who went to great lengths in 2008 to play all the OTM courses throughout Britain and Ireland, culminating in his playing the new 18 holes at Askernish, along with their Honourary President and Secretary in the first three ball on the official opening day? - Only joking, of course; the more you unearth, the busier it will keep Ernie, now that he’s retired! Not that many (if any) of the Scottish courses you uncover will have avoided the snare of the ubiquitous Ernie, having played ALL 580+ of them!!! Then again, maybe that Curry private 9-hole will have eluded him so far…

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 07:45:09 AM »
Jim

As you know Ernie has already played all (known) playable courses in Scotland so the courses now connected with Old Tom are nothing new on his list only mine. Although the Curry course is rather interesting, we are still trying to locate the exact location of the course, which is not helped by the current locals not knowing much about it, however the same comment was made regards Collieston and we have found its location.

Are you a member of the same club as Ernie?

Melvyn

PS Welcome to GCA.com

Jim McCann

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 10:00:21 AM »
Melvyn

I'm not a member at Ernie's club though I live about twenty minutes away from him
on the other side of the Clyde on the Glasgow/Clydebank boundary.

I do some work for the www.top100golfcourses.co.uk website and was interested
in picking Ernie's brain brain when the editor of the website decided this year to create
an inaugural Top100 Scottish course list.

The website already had 75 ranked Scottish courses and wanted to select 25 from 50
Scottish "gems" to complete a Tartan Ton. Who else, amonsgt others, to ask for
assistance in this process than the man who has played each and every one of them?

I've since played Renaissance Club, Castle Stuart and Askernish with Ernie as he strives to
keep his record intact by playing all the new Scottish courses that come on stream. He's
played a few other new ones without me but we hope to tie up again next year to
stride the fairways at Machrihanish Dunes, the Earl of Mar at Erskine and Rowallan Castle
in Ayrshire.

I've managed to play all 100 of the current Scottish Top100 but I have absolutely no
intention of "doing an Ernie" and playing ALL the others. I've got just over half of the
GB & I Top100 under my belt and would like to chip away at that list a little bit more
over the next few years...

Regards.

Jim

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 12:31:50 PM »

Jim

So were you with Ernie at Askernish when it opened officially. He told me he had a great day and the video clips from all the sources were fantastic apart from one which was slightly bouncy (was that you?).

Did you also play a round of The New Course then the visit to the New Club with Ernie last year and check out Old Tom’s window chair and spyglass?

I was so please that Ernie decided to take up the Challenge and that he ended it at Askernish, it was great to read some of the local reports of his exploits that appeared in the local press.

As for making a top 10 list let alone a top 100 Scottish course, I would not find that very enjoyable. Each course conveys a different quality and is magnified by the golfer’s frame of mind on that day, not to mention the weather conditions.  So I prefer not to compare courses, but just confirm those which I have enjoyed playing. I cannot say Epping is better than Windermere or for that matter Crieff or little Killin.  I would not want to try, just preferring to come away from each with the feeling of contentment with my days golf is surely all one really needs to say or for that matter feel. Throw in a good group and make allowance for a few drinks afterwards, just adds to the whole experience.

Golf is so civilised until you throw in some testosterone. Then you get all the crap (and clubs) flying through the air. It also breeds distance aids, cart paths, island greens and increased course length all of which IMHO has lowered the quality and the tone of the modern game.

Anyway good luck with your list, yet like the old saying ‘one man’s meat is another’s poison’ what does a top list of anything actually convey, just the opinion of the writer, as someone will always have a better list in their perhaps less than humble opinion.

Melvyn   

Anthony Gray

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 01:05:43 PM »

Melvyn,

What is the total number of courses that OTM had his hand in?

Anthony

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 01:36:21 PM »
Anthony

The figure is now close to 100 which includes clubs moved from his original course, club/courses closed and the currently around 2/3 of the courses still in play, but I have not included those he just surveyed, opened or attended the opening.

What will be the final figure that is still hard to say. I learnt yesterday that another course now closed according to the locals was by Old Tom, but currently only have an approx location, so much more work is require prior to adding it to the list. The great thing is that the latest set of clubs did not have any records of his involvement due to lost or destroyed early records from fires in the old timber clubhouses. So were somewhat surprised when told and they can see with their own eyes as I attached the confirming articles. Been very lucky as some reports come with the original course maps. To date I have collected over 50 old course some of which are of Old Tom's courses.

The greatest thrill is actually locating the old lost courses, be they built over by houses or left to decay or used as farmland. The likes of the courses at Collieston, Kelvinside, Islay, Crawford, Killearn & St Leonards to name just a few. For me the best is Collieston some 6-8 miles south of Cruden Bay where a 9 hole course was built by the same people who owned Askernish, The Cathcart’s. I think you know the area and can guess the condition of the land although the old course was destroyed by tank training for the desert war in North Africa in 1940's and the course never reopened.

Trust that answers some of your questions

Melvyn

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back