News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

K. Krahenbuhl

Re: Erin Hills - Sold
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2009, 11:25:53 AM »
OK CAbush (if that is your real name  ::) ) for that kind of money and a better enjoyment of golf, I'll play Lawsonia about 5-6 times, and walk w/o caddie, and just shut up...  ::) 8)

I'll take an open spot in that foursome as well.

Jud_T

« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2009, 11:29:50 AM »
Erin Hills is an easy day trip from the Chicago suburbs, Lawsonia is not...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Chris Kaebisch

« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2009, 11:52:57 AM »
can I get in the foursome as well?

RJ_Daley

« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2009, 12:02:07 PM »
I don't relish the notion of taking a negative position on EH.  But in my opinion, the whole pre-design and eventual construction and debut of the course was managed in a misguided fashion.  Adam wants frank commentary from Whitten, given his involvement.  I suspect that might start a riot!  ::)  Wasn't Whitten the originator of the term "architorture'.  I think EH falls somewhere just short of architorture.  It has flashes of brilliance, but is/was somewhere just short of torturous to walk, and the fact they are fixing the over'the-top design like #2 and 10 green sites, or abandoning the dell hole, says plenty.  

Journal-Sentinel writer Gary D'Amato was on board flogging expectations early and often, it seems to me.  Why?  It can't be any sort of journalistic objectivity given the place wasn't even near built when the hype started, IMO.

I hope the project can be rescued and have a presents on the competitive golf stage.  The setting alone is much to behold.  But, the horse has left the barn on being able to build a repeat, frequent and keen on GCA public player/golfer loyalty, except for the well heeled folks in the Strong or Artisan Group or other typical corporate comp/perk strata. IMHO.

No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Jud_T

« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2009, 12:08:13 PM »
I may be in the minority, but I really liked the old #2 green and saw no need to enlargen it whatsoever....
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Chris Kaebisch

« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2009, 12:10:47 PM »
I am with your thinking as well Judd

Dan Moore

« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2009, 12:23:04 PM »
When does EH close this year or has it already closed due to the sale?  

Jud,  I also liked the old #2 green but by the end of the 2007 the area of the green where everyone walked off was worn out and dying.  The green needed expansion if for no reason other than wear and tear. 
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Chris Kaebisch

« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2009, 12:26:23 PM »
Erin Hills closed yesterday Sunday Oct 25

Steve Kupfer

« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2009, 11:31:01 PM »
It says the purchase price was not disclosed.  Do any of you guys have a feel for what the cost would be to buy a course like this?  I saw that the Pete Dye Golf Club of WV either sold or had an asking price of $7.8 million.  I am correct on this information?  And would Erin Hills be in the ball park?  Or is it apples to oranges?

Curious.

Thanks.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/business/66934017.html

Says 10.5 million...

Mac Plumart

« Reply #59 on: November 11, 2009, 07:05:20 PM »
Steve...

I just saw this...thanks!

Great stuff!

Mac
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Mark Smolens

« Reply #60 on: November 11, 2009, 07:19:19 PM »
Erin Hills no carts policy presents a perfect opportunity for them to introduce a fleet of those battery powered 3 wheel trolley's like everyone uses in the UK.  I think Sun Mountain offers one. 
Dan, they used to give you one at Saguaro, but had so many problems with batteries, that they now only give your the push powered 3 wheelers.  The terrain at EH is even hillier than that in Fountain Hills, so I can't imagine that the use of the battery operated carts would survive.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #61 on: November 12, 2009, 11:18:09 AM »
I'd estimate that if they could do 25K rounds a year at around $100-125 a round, and with club house sales with a profit margin of 25-30% and such, they ought to be able to make it go, comfortably.  But, that is a lot of rounds for a CCFAD sort of thing in WI for a season, it seems to me.  I hope they make it.  I also assume the large land track at the entrance and down to the CH is part of the deal.  There could be some big recovery of investment there and still leave room for corporate tents and such if they get a big toon-a-mint.  Also, if neighboring farmers plant hay, they ought to get a decent rental fee for the week of a big event for parking, and still get a fall crop off after the show leaves town.  So, this could still work nicely, if they made the right changes to get the people in there at around 25K rounds a year, and are smart with the marketing, it seems to me. 
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Jud_T

« Reply #62 on: November 12, 2009, 11:40:37 AM »
I think in order for them to do 25k in that location in that climate in this economy as a walking only course, they're going to HAVE to get an open very soon and have it be very successful...I fear that even if they do get one, by the time it rolls around it may be too late unless the owner is willing to bleed cash....

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #63 on: November 12, 2009, 08:14:40 PM »
I do not get the no carts at all if making money or even coming close to breaking even is part of the plan. It is nearly a half mile to the clubhouse from the 18th green. Ok maybe a slight exageration but not much. That is before the hike to your car. I am alwasy for making a course walkable and encouraging walking for the good of the golf experience, but Erin Hills was not designed with those little details in mind.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back