News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Bentham

New Bandon project...
« on: November 10, 2009, 03:28:42 AM »

There won't be another golf course at Bandon Dunes proper ... unless and until The Sheep Ranch is redeveloped.

There will be another project close by someday.  The architect for that one has already been selected.

For years there have been threads here about "who should design the next course at Bandon Dunes," and I've had to bite my tongue because every single time, the decision has already been made.  And I won't tell you what's next any more than I did on any of the others ... there will be a time and place for that, when Mr. Keiser says so, but I doubt it will be before Old Macdonald has opened.

Did anyone else catch this?!?!
Major development.  Deserving of its own thread.   
I have a couple of ideas about the location of this project (north?).  Curious about the architect though.  Who fits the profile?

Emil Weber

Re: New Bandon project...
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 03:35:56 AM »
I'd like to see Gil Hanse  ???

JC Jones

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 08:32:05 AM »
I think Tom's comments lead to a couple of things:

1)  It wont be on the resort property (hence the comment "bandon dunes proper").
2)  The architect has already been chosen so it doesn't matter who we'd like to see.

I would, of course, like to see Mike DeVries as I think he is deserving of a major national project.  His work at Kingsley and Greywalls show that he should be given the opportunity.

I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 08:34:01 AM »
It's not that it doesn't matter, Jesse, it does matter.  I'd like to see Scott Witter or Nuzzo or Brauer or any number of guys who deserve a break.  I guess we'll hear in due time.  If you've driven the coast, you know how much dunesland there is; it's only a question of how much is available.  If it's inland, cool...lots of funky land around there.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Jud_T

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 08:48:30 AM »
Mike Devries!!
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Shane Wright

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 11:08:43 AM »
More info about this project (I'm assuming Tom and I are talking about the same one) will mostly likely be available next spring. 

Shane Wright

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 11:09:40 AM »
sorry, "most" likely be available next spring.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 12:16:58 PM »

There will be another project close by someday.  The architect for that one has already been selected.

Does the architect need to know they've been selected to have been selected?  :)

I would be surprised if it wasn't someone he's already worked with.
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Jud_T

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 12:41:15 PM »
i'll take c&c and 2-1 odds....
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

JC Jones

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2009, 12:48:38 PM »
i'll take c&c and 2-1 odds....

I'd be disappointed if it was.  Nothing against C&C but they have Bandon Trails and they are doing the Conservation par 3.  One of the great things about Bandon is that it took "relatively" unknown architects and put them on the world stage.  (I say relatively because C&C already had Sandhills but few knew about it.) 

Now that they've gone to the Doak well and the C&C well twice, I'd like to see them give another underdog a chance.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

David Stamm

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2009, 12:50:26 PM »
+1 for Gil Hanse. Gil is amongst the best there is, IMO.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Kalen Braley

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2009, 12:54:23 PM »
Rees Jones...

So he can redeem himself for Sand Pines!!   ;D

Jud_T

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2009, 01:00:54 PM »
jc- i agree, just following up on Mike's comments...

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2009, 01:31:46 PM »
It depends on what he means by "close by". Is this the P B Dye course down at Pistol River?  Or is he just focusing on the Bandon/Coos Bay/Coquille triangle. Every drive down I drool at the land just east of Scottsburg on the Umpqua highway.

Mike Demetriou

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2009, 02:16:17 PM »
I would, of course, like to see Mike DeVries as I think he is deserving of a major national project.  His work at Kingsley and Greywalls show that he should be given the opportunity.

Does anyone know if Mr. Keiser has played either Kingsley or Greywalls?

George Freeman

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2009, 02:31:46 PM »
I would, of course, like to see Mike DeVries as I think he is deserving of a major national project.  His work at Kingsley and Greywalls show that he should be given the opportunity.

Does anyone know if Mr. Keiser has played either Kingsley or Greywalls?

Seeing that Crystal Downs is so close to KC and the fact that Mike presumably spends a lot of time on the west coast of MI (New Buffalo ala the Dunes Club), I would guess he has seen Kingsley Club at a minimum.  And IMO, that is a great thing for Mike DeVries.

I would think Mike D. and Gil Hanse would both fit really well into the Bandon philosophy.  Mike D. gets my "vote"
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 03:45:40 PM by George Freeman »
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Jim Nugent

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2009, 03:47:58 PM »
No one has suggested Jack. 

Steve_Roths

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2009, 04:31:27 PM »
I believe it was in Golfweek about two years back, that Keiser wanted to recreate a St. Andrews type town feel.  There is going to be a golf course down in the town of Bandon with homes.  I believe it is near the old Bandon airstrip which I believe he bought. 

George Freeman

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2009, 04:34:49 PM »
No one has suggested Jack. 

*crickets*
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

George Freeman

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2009, 04:35:57 PM »
I believe it was in Golfweek about two years back, that Keiser wanted to recreate a St. Andrews type town feel.  There is going to be a golf course down in the town of Bandon with homes.  I believe it is near the old Bandon airstrip which I believe he bought. 

Is that all fact or predictions?
Mayhugh is my hero!!

Steve_Roths

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2009, 05:37:24 PM »
George - it is probably half and half.  I know someone that has walked the property and said it was similar to Sheep Ranch in elevation change and that it could produce a fun course.

I will dig around tonight and see if I can locate the article that talked about that project.  I think it came out around the time that Trails was opening and Keiser was disucssing future plans.

As for Jack, I think he could create something very very good if Keiser was on top of him.  I don't think Jack has had a lot of customers that would question his routing.  Or even tell him no and send him back to the drawing board. 

If I was a betting man I would say that Hanse will get the project.  I remember there used to be a handshake deal between Keiser and the gentleman that developed Kingsbarn and C.Stuart.  His name escapes me right now.  So, this could be that project.

As for DeVries.  I really wish he had done the Trails course over C&C.  I think he could have created an epic/dramatic course back in the forest and wouldn't have used the dunes at all.  But, that is just my preference or opinion.

Ryan Admussen

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2009, 05:42:17 PM »
Rod Whitman gets my vote!

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2009, 05:44:28 PM »
Mark Parsinen? He worked with Kyle Phillips on Kingsbarns and Gil Hanse on Castle Stuart.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Rob Rigg

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2009, 05:47:25 PM »
Keiser and Parsinen combining on a project? Two heavy hitters there.

I wonder if they will ever have a Bandon Card for locals - all these courses are making me want to move there . . .

Congrats to whoever is getting this project - there are definitely some great guys out there who deserve a shot at putting something on the ground to "compete" with "the top minimalists".

5 2/3 Keiser courses in and around BDGR by what year? 2014?

Woo hoo!

Jed Peters

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2009, 05:48:08 PM »
I think Phillips would be the best option for this site...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back