News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Mayhugh

Aiken Golf Club - photos of a no-longer hidden gem
« on: November 09, 2009, 09:30:22 PM »
At this year's Dixie Cup, we played three really good golf courses.  I think Aiken was the biggest surprise of the bunch.  I know that there have been some posts about the course before, but I was wholly unprepared for the experience.  It reminded me so much of the obscure, quirky places that Sean Arble posts.  I would be thrilled to have this course in my town.

The course was originally built in 1912 to complement a resort hotel.  The course started out with just eleven holes and the remaining seven were added by their professional who had worked with Flynn & Ross.  I'm not sure who laid out the original holes, but they did a great job.

I failed to get a photo of the first tee shot.  The course opens with a 330 yard par four.  Total distance from the tips is barely 6000 yards and a par of 70 or 71 depending on the tees you play from.  Great greens provide adequate challenge.

Looking back towards the tee.

From the second tee.  The 1st & 17th share a double green.

From the 17th green looking over to the playing area of the first.

And one last look at the first from around the 18th tee.  This green gives you a hint of what awaits.

The second is a 465 yard par five.  The tee shot is blind.

From the forward tees you can see the fairway.

Reaching the green in two requires a well positioned tee shot which is difficult given the angle.  The green is sited perfectly.

The third hole defies description.  It's a 402 yard par 4.  There are trees on both sides of the fairway, but still plenty of room (certainly more that it appears from the tee).  The fairway drops off sharply on the left side, and there is a small hazard if you drive it too far on the left side. 

The approach is intimidating due to a green partially hidden by a wetlands hazard. 

A small bunker also protects the green from a run-up shot.  Note the small bridge that spans a little drainage area.  This wasn't marked as a hazard.

From the fourth tee looking back towards the green.  Railroad tracks run down the left side of the hole (right side in the photo).

Hopefully there are some better photos than mine, especially of the third hole.

Sean_A

Re: Aiken Golf Club - photos of a no-longer hidden gem
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 02:04:48 AM »
John of Kentucky Fame

Are you gonna post more pix?  I recall seeing a tour of this course on this site some few years ago and being really impressed.  I wanted to get down and play it while seeing the Masters, but that didn't work out - story of my life.  Anyway - please continue.

Ciao 
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Doug Spets

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 06:17:17 AM »
If I could only play one course for the rest of the my life...and it was Aiken GC, I'd be ok with that.  Incredibly fun, quirky and the strongest set of par-3's (5 of them, including the 18th) that you're gonna find anywhere.  

I was told that John Inglis, the pro at Augusta Country Club during the early 1900's is the actual architect. 

To those who are heading to Aiken GC, remember that most putts break toward the train tracks.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 06:35:41 AM by Doug Spets »

John Mayhugh

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 07:28:57 AM »
Sean,
Will post pics of every hole.  I'm just slow.

Doug,
According to a club history handout, Inglis did seven of the holes.  No attribution for the original eleven.

Here is an aerial view of the third hole.  The green for the second hole is visible in the upper right side.

The fourth hole is an uphill par three of 155 yards.

From the green looking back towards the tee.  The third green is visible through the trees.

This is from the fifth tee.  Note the steep back to front pitch of the green.  There were a number of greens like this.

The fifth is a 422 yard dogleg left par four.  The green is tucked back nicely with a variety of hazards.

You can see an example of the contouring of the greens on this one.

The sixth is a 368 yard par four.  Plays slightly uphill over a waste area that really isn't in play.  The landing area is somewhat blind.  Unfortunately I only got two pics of this hole.

JC Jones

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 08:19:27 AM »
Thanks for the pictures, John.  I inexplicably left my camera in the car for this round.  A serious regret. 

I have no problem being one of the blasphemous few that is willing to say I liked this course the most of the 3 we played.  Palmetto is phenomenal, no doubt about it, but Aiken does it for me.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 08:32:11 AM »
And all this for under $30 (I think I paid $20 gf and $3 for a pull cart)!  Along with Wild Horse, the best value in the golfing universe.  Golf is meant to be fun.  I am sure Brad Tufts had tons of it shooting 69-70 (he played a second round afterwards).  Without a doubt, Aiken GC is a candidate for the site's platinum seal of approval.

JC Jones

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 08:37:39 AM »
And all this for under $30 (I think I paid $20 gf and $3 for a pull cart)!  Along with Wild Horse, the best value in the golfing universe.  Golf is meant to be fun.  I am sure Brad Tufts had tons of it shooting 69-70 (he played a second round afterwards).  Without a doubt, Aiken GC is a candidate for the site's platinum seal of approval.

Says the guy who shot 74 w/ 2 doubles.... ;) ;D 

I was lucky enough to witness Lou play some great golf at AGC.  The best was when Mark (South) and I are both sitting 4 feet for birdie on the short par 4 13th and Lou proceeds to pitch in for eagle.  Its amazing how well he played considering he had me on his back the whole round!
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 08:44:44 AM »
A true hidden gem..this is the great thing about this site, the photo tours are so educational...thank you
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

jeffwarne

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 08:47:58 AM »

Please delete this thread as up til now this was a well kept secret(even during Masters week) that seems better every time I play it.
What actually seals the deal for me is the Taco Bell right off the 13th fairway!
and an excellent pub above the pro shop

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

john_stiles

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2009, 09:06:16 AM »
Several notes about Dixie Cup....

My prediction to Mayhugh was that Aiken GC would be the surprise hit of the trip.  That was a pretty easy prediction.

As to other odds and ends......

The historical display at Aiken Golf Club has attribution to Ross for 11 holes. The display was in the little covered alcove next to the bar.
Aiken Golf Club also had a nice display inside the pro shop with many GCA books on the shelf.

Search of Aiken newspapers revealed that Ross did vacation in the Aiken area.

Aiken GC is filled during Masters week even at the Masters week price.  Book in advance.

It is quite a combination having Aiken Golf Club and Palmetto Golf Club so close together, and at that, seemingly connected by the Polo Lounge at the Aiken Hotel.

I even stopped by the  Curiousity Shop on my way home and bought some 'digestive' biscuits at the shop with all the Scottish, Irish, and English trinkets.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2009, 10:00:27 AM »

To those who are heading to Aiken GC, remember that most putts break toward the train tracks.

That is certainly true, to the extent that even some putts on parallel holes that appear to break away from the tracks are actually almost straight.

Aiken was the most enjoyable surprise since Elie.  And that is saying something!

Eric Smith

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2009, 10:19:56 AM »
Thank you John for posting these great pictures of a great golf course. Playing it was a real education for me as I didn't look at a scorecard, I hit nearly every club in the bag with many longish irons into the par 3's and it mattered not that the course measured only ______.  (I don't know the total and after my education in Aiken, I could care less!)

Both course were a treat.  If forced to choose a favorite among them, I would pick 

David Stamm

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2009, 10:20:59 AM »
Thanks for the great pics, bud! Looks like my kind of place. It appears to be alot of fun.

I'm assuming Aiken is public, no?
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

JC Jones

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2009, 10:26:02 AM »

Public as can be and a wonderful staff and ownership. 

Chris Flamion

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2009, 10:32:57 AM »
I LOVE courses like that.  It looks to be a good course in good shape, but one that knows what it is there for.  Nothing frustrates me more than a little course that is a blast to play that tries to turn itself into a "championship" test of golf. 

Thanks for all the photos so far

Rich Goodale

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2009, 10:38:18 AM »
If Aiken is that good, surely CB McDonald must have had a hand in its design.  Has anybody checked the train manifests from Chicago to Aiken in the early 1900's?

Jon Heise

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2009, 11:05:33 AM »
For me, Aiken was like playing at a golf museum.  It looked 100 years old.  Bunkers looked like they had always been there.  Rakes?  Didnt see all that many of them, didnt need em.  A very natural course, tees and greens were laid out right where they needed to be.  Some of those par 3's were TOUGH.  Talk about uphill!  I needed to pull a driver out 2 times I think.
I still like Greywalls better.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2009, 11:15:39 AM »
Thanks for the great pics, bud! Looks like my kind of place. It appears to be alot of fun.

David S,

You would love the course.  And if I can play it, it is most definitely a public course!

JC,

After seeing your first swing I knew that Capt. McBride had some pity for me after the whacking I subjected my partner to at Palmetto during our match against a formidable South Team.  The 94 and 85 which sandwiched my decent round at Aiken are more indicative of my play at the DC.  Only the responsibilities to your wife and three young kids as well as your job are keeping you from stardom on the GCA.com Tour.

Rich Goodale,

In light of the discoveries from the Merion threads, there was some post-round discussion of CBM's obvious involvement at Aiken (I am not joking).  Being that the "Father of American Golf" resisted drawing attention to himself and shied away from any publicity, he likely demanded no attribution, and the club indulged his wishes at a considerable cost.  
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 11:30:23 AM by Lou_Duran »

Phil McDade

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2009, 11:19:15 AM »

Lou:

Glad you mentioned this. On a thread I started a few years ago, I asked for the best $25 and under golf course in the country -- no discounts, no mandatory carts pushing the price up, no weekdays after 2 pm restrictions. Just the best course you could walk into the clubhouse any day of the week, put down $25, and walk 18 holes. I think Aiken won, or was certainly among the top bargains around for quality golf. I almost signed up for the Dixie Cup (couldn't due to family obligations) to play this one course.

Jason Topp

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2009, 11:20:50 AM »
I am looking forward to the rest of the photographs.  While I enjoyed Aiken, I enjoyed it more from the perspective of a muni with some interesting features rather than as a course I would ever schedule a trip to play.  

Brent Hutto

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2009, 11:26:26 AM »
I am looking forward to the rest of the photographs.  While I enjoyed Aiken, I enjoyed it more from the perspective of a muni with some interesting features rather than as a course I would ever schedule a trip to play.  

I think your point is probably valid but for myself I would definitely consider a trip to Aiken specifically to play that course. Then again, the fact that it is 65 minutes from my front door to the clubhouse makes a special trip more attractive.   ;D Don't know why I haven't played there numerous times over the years but the Dixie Cup was my first time experiencing the course.

JC Jones

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2009, 11:28:55 AM »

Which course, Palmetto or Aiken, for you, made better use of the land and provided for more variety in shots?

Jason Topp

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2009, 11:44:07 AM »

Which course, Palmetto or Aiken, for you, made better use of the land and provided for more variety in shots?

Palmetto

JC Jones

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2009, 11:46:32 AM »

Palmetto

This is why I love this site, I feel the exact opposite. 

Have we met? ;) ;D

Bill_McBride

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2009, 12:24:23 PM »
One of the aspects I enjoyed at Aiken was the way the tee shots looked, pretty tightly framed in some cases, but with fairways that played wider.  It was a great look.

Palmetto on the other hand was pretty much wide open although tighter as the round progressed.  15-18 certainly were!

I think I liked them pretty much 50-50 at the end of the day.

Signed,
Your Wishy Washy Correspondent

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back