News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Okula

Lykia World (pics)
« on: November 15, 2009, 03:04:26 AM »
Following up on the "Places to Play in Europe" thread, I dug out a few photos of Lykia World, in Belek, Turkey, from May 2009.  It was designed by Perry Dye in the past few years, and is planted in Paspalum. I didn' label these, and I can-t recall the hole numbers now.

'

« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 06:10:32 AM by Steve Okula »
The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

Steve Okula

Re: Lykia World (pics)
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 03:09:37 AM »
More photos:

I remember this is a par three, I forget which hole, but the green is totally blind behind the bunker in the center. You can just see the square of white flag.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 06:15:39 AM by Steve Okula »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 10:45:23 AM »
Is that the beach to the left in the last picture?  Their p.r. pictures make it look like the water comes right up to the course.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 10:59:07 AM »
Take the sleepers out of those bunker faces and I love it.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Steve Okula

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 11:33:38 AM »
Yes, the sea is just on the left on the last picture. Like I said in the other thread, the course was right up against he beach. They are fighting the sand blowing in off the beach across the turf. In several photos, you can see the erosion control fences in the sandy area behind the green.

I recall now that most of the holes ran up and down parallel with the beach. 

Nobody I talked to understands why the sleepers are there. They seem to be arbitrarily placed in some bunkers.

Scott Warren

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 12:47:59 PM »
Steve,

One reason I started my "European Golf Escapes" thread was because my missus is talking of organising another Christmas/birthday present golf trip for me (as she did to Deal and Prince's lasy year...).

I can only thank you for this thread, because before it (and Tom D's clarification of "Belek in Wisconsin"), Belek was at the forefront of her thoughts (along with Lisbon and Hardelot/Le Torquet). So thank you!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 02:19:42 PM by Scott Warren »

Norbert P

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2009, 01:41:21 PM »
The sleepers are like obscenities from a monk.  From what I can see in the pictures, the land had a wonderful opportunity to keep its mouth shut or speak in a pleasing whisper . . .  but nooooooooo!  somebody had to make it scream. 

"But nooooooooooo . . .   !!!"  John Belushi Commentary
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2009, 06:09:10 PM »
Wow, this looks awful. Sorry for this content-free post, but I just had to say that. I cannot believe this is P. B. Dye - and it actually appears it isn't - it's Perry Dye.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Christoph Meister

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2009, 06:20:35 PM »
My post isn't any more contentful and different from Ulrich's - but they should give back these railway sleepers to Turkish State Railways!
Golf's Missing Links - Continental Europe
 https://www.golfsmissinglinks.co.uk/index.php/wales-2
EAGHC European Association of
Golf Historians & Collectors
http://www.golfika.com
German Hickory Golf Society e.V.
http://www.german-hickory.com

Kalen Braley

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2009, 08:19:31 PM »
I hate to be a party pooper as well but it looks like they spoiled a good site with all that hideous mounding everywhere..

x2 on the ugly bunker sleeper implementation...just awful!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back