News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

cary lichtenstein

Re: warm weather clubs
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2009, 10:43:15 AM »
What really good clubs are in South Florida, other than Seminole? 

Pine Tree Golf Club, Jupiter Hills Club and Medalist Golf Club just in the area.  Indian Creek isn't too far south.

To this you could add the Bears Club, The Ritz, and Admirals Cove
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2009, 10:57:56 AM »
What really good clubs are in South Florida, other than Seminole? 

Pine Tree Golf Club, Jupiter Hills Club and Medalist Golf Club just in the area.  Indian Creek isn't too far south.

To this you could add the Bears Club, The Ritz, and Admirals Cove

Exactly right.  I had a great time at Admirals Cove last winter.

Ed Oden

« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2009, 11:39:22 AM »
As I understand it, Y.H. has specific seasonal memberships.  And, don't forget CC of Charleston, which is a wonderful course with newly renovated Raynor greens.

Yeamans is really a fall/winter/spring club.  It is one of my favorite places to play then.  The "seasonal" memberships are for the summer months when conditions are akin to playing in Hell while being relentlessly attacked by bugs that share their DNA with pit bulls.  Some believe the seasonal memberships are a bargain.  Pretty much everyone else questions the sanity of those who believe the seasonal memberships are a bargain.

Ed

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2009, 12:00:52 PM »
I live in MD and have a club in SC but use it only in the spring and fall.  For me three things are important the quality of the course, amount of play (this course gets 9000 rounds annually), and membership.  I know and play with more guys in SC than I do at home. If it is only quality you want then don't join anywhere but choose different places each year.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2009, 12:18:54 PM »
One extra for S. Florida, it stays lighter about one hour longer than it does up north.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Robert Emmons

« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2009, 12:31:13 PM »
For Martin county add Mcarthur and Loblolly. for Palm beach county add Old Palm, Old Marsh, Mirasol, Ibis, and PGA national...RHE

Bruce Katona

« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2009, 12:35:41 PM »
If you are East Coast - Lyford Cay in The Bahamas.  Lyford in 15 minutes max from Nassau International Airport, so the AM flight will get you on the tee shortly after lunch, even going thru Bahamian Customs.  There were never any back-ups so your are done in 4 hours at most.

My wife & I used to play as guests of a member when we visited Nassau once or twice a year.  Lovely course in a very beautiful community.  As memory serves membership was not outrageous.

John_Conley

« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2009, 02:04:47 PM »
Tom D: I am pretty sure that there are hockey fans at Seminole (they buy teams) but all the old puckheads seem to congregate at Bear Lakes and Jupiter Hills... ( i dont think i was a good enough hockey player to hang in those lockerrooms :))

Absolute rubbish.  You were born to play hockey after all.

Yes, S of Vero.  I am in Orlando.  Winter is nicer in Palm Beach Co. and the Naples area.

Some very good courses obviously.  You could access something decent on the cheap right now.  Maybe a way to dip your toe.

If you do visit Florida and are looking for a game let me know.

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #58 on: November 05, 2009, 07:56:16 AM »
Down here in Naples it's extremely shocking to wake up and not have 80* F and bright sun shining down. I would say you have 29 out of 30 days a month that are perfect.

That being said the interesting courses to join list down here only has Calusa Pines and The Hideout imo.
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

Will Spivey

« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2009, 09:30:04 PM »
I would agree with other posters that Charleston is worth a look.  Admittedly, it can be brisk in the winter, but it's rarely cold.  I vacation at Kiawah several times a year, and we usually visit over Christmas.  The weather is cool (highs in the low 60's), but traffic is way down.  You will undoubtedly have short periods of time that are cold, but for the most part, it's beautiful.  You also have the added advantage of being able to play year round.  July and August are hot, but nothing like South Florida.  Spring and fall are heavenly.

Steve Lang

« Reply #60 on: November 11, 2009, 07:53:26 AM »
 8) Throw out the east coast out the window man.. you can do it anytime, its a layup..  man up, come to Houston, warm up and just play around, and then springboard to many, many places along the 30th parallel east, west , and a little north or south from the two airports here, when weather is right.. 

- dinner in New Orleans is cheap 45 minute flight away
- take in Austin, San Antonio, Dallas easy day or weekend trips
- easy hop to NM the land of Enchantment, Santa Fe / Black Mesa or farther west to AZ & CA

decisions decisions decisions - you're going to make a choice based upon what exposure???
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back