News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Gray

Chambers Bay...........Hole 1
« on: November 09, 2009, 04:19:21 PM »
  Par 4    381-498   7 Handicap

Right side may leave blind approach

Fairway slopes right to left leaving a divot field on the left below the green where misses end up.

Anthony

Ryan Admussen

Re: Chambers Bay...........Hole 1
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 06:14:47 PM »
Great pictures! Trying to make a trip out to play it sometime this summer, too many courses too little time

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 07:20:27 PM »
It is a great hole. I mean so strong and filled with potential for db with a missed 2nd shot. It set the tone for the course if you are a strong player. You know you are on a big time course from the get go.  It is like when the opposing team walks into Tiger Stadium. F the tide. I do feel the only knock is it might be a bit too tough for an opening hole on a daily fee. You have dunes right, big valley left off the tee and at the green. Many golfers could really struggle to get on the green off tite lies left of the green. cheers Tiger I so love this hole and course.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 07:22:28 PM by Tiger_Bernhardt »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 08:01:07 PM »
My o' my. Where does one put the cart path?  :o

Too much good golf there to fit in a cart path?  ::)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Rob Rigg

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 08:10:58 PM »
This hole is a wicked slap in the face as you roll off the range and putting green - GAME ON! Welcome to CB bizzles.

My first thought - This is a par five right? :)

Thankfully all of the holes are not this tough - but a par here is an awesome way to start your round (an 8, not so much).

The USGA also have the option of sliding the tees even farther back and to the right in order to create a totally gnar, gnar dogleg. Sa-weet!

Ryan Admussen

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 08:18:04 PM »
is Gold Mountain worth playing or are there any other good options, if you were to make the trip to play Chambers Bay?

Anthony Gray

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 08:20:04 PM »
This hole is a wicked slap in the face as you roll off the range and putting green - GAME ON! Welcome to CB bizzles.

My first thought - This is a par five right? :)

Thankfully all of the holes are not this tough - but a par here is an awesome way to start your round (an 8, not so much).

The USGA also have the option of sliding the tees even farther back and to the right in order to create a totally gnar, gnar dogleg. Sa-weet!

Rob,

It does have the feel of a par three.If you are short there is no stoping it from having an up hill flop third shot. It does play longer than on the card.

Anthony

Joe Bentham

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 08:30:52 PM »
Hard par, easy bogey.  Not a bad way to start.  I missed the green way left (I'm sure I'm not the only one) and was left with a tough little chip from about pin high.  I liked the shared part of the fairway with 18.  I'm laying up next time I play it..

Sean Leary

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 08:42:07 PM »
An underappreciated part of this hole is the drive. The closer to the dune on the right you are, the flatter it is and you can get some roll. The farther you go away from the dune is a severe upslope that is impossible to carry from the back tees. Makes that hole play really long.

George Freeman

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 08:46:18 PM »
Thanks for the great pics Anthony.  Do you have any more of the green/green complex?

Thanks!
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Anthony Gray

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2009, 08:50:21 PM »
Thanks for the great pics Anthony.  Do you have any more of the green/green complex?

Thanks!

George,

Thanks for your input. That is as close as I got with the camera. The green is a two putt green. Nothing severe.

Anthony

Sean Leary

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2009, 08:53:43 PM »
Ryan,

Gold Mountain Olympic is worth playing.

Dale Jackson

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2009, 09:57:58 PM »
Ryan,

I agree Gold Mountain is worth playing, and the Olympic course is very good.

Closer to Chambers Bay, and as good IMO is The Home Course.  It is maybe 5 miles from CB.  It is the second course for the 2010 US Amateur at CB.
I've seen an architecture, something new, that has been in my mind for years and I am glad to see a man with A.V. Macan's ability to bring it out. - Gene Sarazen

Rob Rigg

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2009, 10:47:42 PM »
Here is a shot from behind the first green.

You can see the kick pad on the dune that can help you chase your ball on.

Unfortunately, if you take it towards the right side and it draws a little too much, you can end up where Joe took his photo from.

Been there, not fun.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2009, 11:34:28 PM »
The first definitely lets you know what your in for.  Probably the hardest opening hole I've ever played.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2009, 12:58:44 AM »
Ryan,

Closer to Chambers Bay, and as good IMO is The Home Course.  It is maybe 5 miles from CB.  It is the second course for the 2010 US Amateur at CB.

The Home Course has interesting greens, but the rest does not stand up to Gold Mountain Olympic IMO.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jordan Wall

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2009, 02:05:20 AM »
Ryan,

The Home Course has interesting greens, but the rest does not stand up to Gold Mountain Olympic IMO.

Agreed.

Tom Yost

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2009, 08:46:19 AM »
Another view of #1 from just short of the green showing how anything short will feed to the left.

#1 from behind the green looking back toward the tee.

Chris Flamion

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2009, 10:42:54 AM »
  It is like when the opposing team walks into Tiger Stadium. F the tide.

Ouch Tiger.

As a high handicapper, I will readily agree with everyone who mentions that this would be intimidating for me.  The valley off to the left of the green would be bad but a blind approach on the first hole would get me a bit.

Still looks like a great hole and one I can't wait to play, just would intimidate me a bit.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2009, 02:37:13 PM »
Can someone provide for me what the normal prevailing wind is on the hole ?

Also, how far out is the end portion of the bunker on the right ... it looks like it would be possible to play with a slight draw aimed at that edge. Is that true?

Final question for now -- assuming a large drive is hit how far is the runout ... be curious to know the f&f conditions generally.

thanks ...

Anthony Gray

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2009, 02:52:42 PM »

Matt,

I'll get the yardage guide tomarrow. It does play F&F. Many players cannot hit it over the hump so the second can be blind. Almost everything short funnels below the green leaving a lob.

Anthony

Richard Choi

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2009, 04:14:08 PM »
Can someone provide for me what the normal prevailing wind is on the hole ?

Matt, the prevailing wind is straight ahead from the water (slightly left to right). About 10 to 20% you will get wind from the north. Another reason why this hole is so tough and is really a par 5 for most.

Also, how far out is the end portion of the bunker on the right ... it looks like it would be possible to play with a slight draw aimed at that edge. Is that true?

That would be a great play if you can pull it off. As Matt has said, it is definitely flatter from the right.

Final question for now -- assuming a large drive is hit how far is the runout ... be curious to know the f&f conditions generally.

Fairway is firm and you get a lot of roll... but generally not on this hole. First, you are hitting into the wind which limits the roll. The landing area is also slightly uphill from the tee, again limiting the roll. Finally, the middle and left side of holes have ridges that run across the fairway which will also limit fairway rolls. You will get a much more roll on the right side.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2009, 04:35:25 PM »
Guys:

Thanks for the answers -- I'd still like to know the distance to the far left edge of the bunker in the first pic.

Clearly, when you get moist Pacific NW wind it can make carrying the ball really tough.

At just below 500 yards -- the hole looks doable if you can catch the right side and have the F&F conditions propel your ball further downt.

The approach is quite daunting -- if someone is short how much release does the ball head down to the left. It looks like from the pics I've seen like Dante's abyss !!!

Richard Choi

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2009, 04:45:25 PM »
I have posted this picture before which may help you out...

If you are short and to the left, there are two possibilities. First, if you just miss it, you may end up in a first plateau which is only about 6 or 7 feet below the green surface. If you miss further, you are down 20 to 30 feet below the green and you are pretty much dead from down there. Most people will end up hitting short which will end up on the first plateau mentioned earlier. If you hit over, you will end up in the bunker that guards the right back side.

Sean Leary

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2009, 05:27:13 PM »
I have hit a second shot here that at one point caught the front left of the green for a moment before rolling the hill. Ended up by a sprinkler head that said I was 67 yards from the center.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back