News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Burrows

Kingston Heath (w/ pictures)
« on: January 28, 2009, 08:23:59 PM »
Kingston Heath Golf Club is generally considered to be one of the finest golf courses in the world, though it is often overshadowed by it's more publicized neighbor, Royal Melbourne.  However, it clearly holds its own, on account of a strong, intricate routing on approximately 125 acres that is able to make the most of what might be considered only limited changes in topography.  Indeed, the course is generally flat, utlizing a a couple of broad ridges which make a handful of tee shots blind (1,6,8,9,15 and 16), and leave a few of the approach shots the same (14 and 17).   The size and orientation of the property is conducive to many holes that run parallel to each other, with a few, specifically, the 1st, 6th, and 10th which are perpendicular, and provide a respite from this.  In this regard, it is somewhat similar to Riviera, whose 1st, 6th and 10th, quite coincidentally, run perpendicular to the majority of the holes, and serve to both keep the routing moving, and providing changes in wind direction.

Of course, the real stars of the course are the artful, and decidedly strategic bunkering, as well as the sometimes subtle, sometimes bold green complexes, many of which are built up to repel indiffererent approach shots either off into collection areas or, more often than not, into bunkers.  Though it wasn't playing too fast that day, there is still a need to play short in many places, and allow the ground game to dominate (not an easy task for an Indiana native to get used to).  And, of course, the hidden defense of the golf course, the wind, was certainly present when I was there, coming from the south (which I am told is the prevailing direction).  Variety is paramount at Kingston Heath: green sizes and approaches vary, and though I would never suggest that the course is ready to be had (it is quite difficult), it is not backbreaking chore to play, provided that reasonable playing decisions are made.  Furthermore, speaking with the members with whom I played, it is an enjoyable place to play on a regular basis.

I was able to play while on holiday as an overseas visitor in their men's competition, and not wanting to hold up play, I took limited pictures of the course, so please forgive the skipping of some holes (all of them are of merit, and I wish I had time, or decent pictures, of the rest).  Hopefully others can fill in the gaps with pictures of these additional holes.  Also, many of the pictures look a bit flat, in part due to the camera and its operator, and in part to the nature of the golf course itself.  Shown here first is a longview of the course from the 7th fairway, looking east over the 4th fairway, 2nd green, and 11th fairway, probably the flattest area on the entire property.

The course starts out with a strong Par 4 from a tee that is an extension of the putting green, and indeed, many of the tees are extensions of the preceeding green, which enhances the intimacy of the routing, and makes for an eminently walkable golf course.  One plays blind up the hill, and over the ridgeline, though the flagstick itself is just visible from the tee.

If you can clear the ridge, you are the opened up to a view of the green, guarded by bunkers short and right, and edges that shun balls off the putting surface.

The second is a dogleg left Par 4, with the fairway guarded by bunkers on the left, and long grass through the fairway to the right.  The ridge from the 1st hole is dying down here, but one can see how a weak drive short of the ridge leaves a much more challenging approach than one that clears it

Here is a short drive

And here is one that goes a bit farther.  Note the short third hole in the background.

The green at the tricky Par 4 3rd is shown below.  The sensible shot from the tee is a mid-to-long iron that allows for an easier wedge shot into this raised green with bunkers short, right, and left.

Moving ahead to the Par 4 6th -- one might think that there would be some similarities to the 1st, as they play parallel to each other over the same ridge (though in the opposite direction), but nothing could be further from the truth.  Hugging the left seems to open up the green complexe, which is one of the biggest on the golf course, and also full of some of the most contour, both on and around the surface.

From the fairway on 6.  Note the rigidity of the flag itself at the green, which underscores the importance of well-struck shots throughout the round.

A picture of the 6th green from the neighboring 1st tee.  Note the bold contouring in the surrounds which feeds into the green itself, particularly the raised back portion (the right side of the image)

The 7th is a shortish par 5, where a strong drive must contend with a bunker on the left that protrudes out into the fairway.  The picture below is taken from the beginning of the fairway.

The 7th green sits wonderfully into the hillside, and is guarded in the front by a deep swale.

The 9th starts with a blind long iron (aimed at the power lines in the distance), and is a shortish hole that is vaguely reminicent of the 12th at Pine Valley.  A well played drive is key, as playing too short, or too far to the side could obscure the view of the green.

The view from a poorly struck drive

And with a good angle (enhanced by the zoom lens)

...to admit my mistakes most frankly, or to say simply what I believe to be necessary for the defense of what I have written, without introducing the explanation of any new matter so as to avoid engaging myself in endless discussion from one topic to another.     
               -Rene Descartes

Pat Burke

Re: Kingston Heath (w/ pictures)
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 08:26:49 PM »
AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Thanks for the pictures :)

Carl Rogers

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 08:33:54 PM »
yes, a very high quality post

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 10:01:21 PM »
Steve

Unfortunately your review is spread over two threads ? Why so ?

Steve Burrows

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 10:10:22 PM »
Apologies.  As a single thread, my machine came to a near standstill when I hit "preview", but when I spread it to two threads, action was immediate.  So I went with it. 
...to admit my mistakes most frankly, or to say simply what I believe to be necessary for the defense of what I have written, without introducing the explanation of any new matter so as to avoid engaging myself in endless discussion from one topic to another.     
               -Rene Descartes

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 10:34:17 PM »
Man, how good does that look?   :o :o :o

Thank God that the courses built in the 1990s were far superior.  ::)

Man, if those Old Dead Guys had access to modern technology they could have literally decorated that flattish landscape with containment mounding, squiggly bunkers, and drainage hollows.   ;D   
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 02:22:01 PM by MikeCirba »

Jason Topp

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 10:24:41 AM »
For reference, this is an aerial I pulled off the internet a few years ago.  East is on top of the picture.

1 is on the left, 6 is immediately to the right of 1.

The apparent double green of 8 and 16 ( I cannot remember if it is an actual double green) are in the bottom right corner.

17 and 18 run right to left across the bottom.

The 19th hole that Mike Clayton added would be above 1 green.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 06:37:56 PM by Jason Topp »

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 05:47:50 PM »
Hi Jason, Just for added clarity -

South is to the right. East is at the top of the picture,
as the first plays into the rising sun.

Clubhouse is botom left of image - and currently under reconstruction.

The 8th & 16th is a double green - good memory.
It is bottom right of the image, and the 19th hole
(Clayton's par 3) is just beyond the top left margin of the picture.

MM
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Steve Burrows

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 10:40:14 AM »
Below is a shot of the 19th hole, an approximately 160 yard hole that serves as an alternate when necessary.  It is reasonably congruous with the rest of the golf course (with respect to bunkering, contouring, etc.), though playing it unfortunately implies that you will be by-passing one of the original holes.

19th hole, from the teeing ground.
               -Rene Descartes

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2009, 01:55:43 PM »
Silly question, are those eucalyptus trees dotting the landscape?   Seems like they could use a little trim behind the first green.

Jason Topp

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2009, 06:37:24 PM »
Hi Jason, Just for added clarity -

South is to the right. East is at the top of the picture,
as the first plays into the rising sun

Thanks Matthew.  I will edit my post. 

Dieter Jones

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2009, 07:21:02 AM »
Man, how good does that look?   :o :o :o

Thank God that the courses built in the 1990s were far superior.  ::)

Man, if those Old Dead Guys had access to modern technology they could have literally decorated that flattish landscape with containment mounding, squiggly bunkers, and drainage hollows.   ;D   

Isn't there containment mounding on the outside of the dogleg second hole? I have only played there once and don't have photo's unfortunately. It was about the one part of the course that jarred to me. It looked out of place and artificial to me (not as bad as say the mounds on 1 at royal Adelaide) and contrasting to the lovely hollows and mounds on the opposite side of the same fairway.

Are these new?
Never argue with an idiot. They will simply bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Philippe Binette

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2009, 10:11:42 AM »
Gotta love Kingston Heath...

that is a great course for the good reason... great golf

Steve Burrows

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2009, 05:56:17 PM »
Dieter,

Here is an image (though from a distance) of those mounds on the right side of # 2 fairway.  I couldn't begin to say when they were constructed, but you are right in suggesting that they look a bit out of place

-Rene Descartes

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2009, 06:07:13 PM »
Graeme Grant built those mounds about 15 years ago.

Steve Burrows

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2009, 03:25:56 PM »
Bump...

For those who would like a few glimpses of the golf course before the tournament starts.
               -Rene Descartes

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back