News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

R.S._Barker

Case Study: Forced Layups, The Good and Bad of Classic Golf
« on: November 09, 2009, 05:31:42 AM »
Greetings,

As the title suggests I'm looking for information on Forced Layups. Specifically examples that show how a forced layup can be used as an advantageous position for the course to defend par, and also wherein they were designed poorly.

Note that classic examples from the golden age of design are at the forefront of my focus, but certainly modern designs would also aid to expand my knowledge base and to have a firmer grasp of flow and routing.

Any suggestions with links and pictures would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

R.S.

Ally Mcintosh

Re: Case Study: Forced Layups, The Good and Bad of Classic Golf
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 05:57:12 AM »
This seems like a good topic... Identifying forced layups and asking what makes a good one and what makes a bad one... and why...

Probably been discussed on here before my time... everything seems to have been...

On a general note, I prefer forced layups with a choice on the layup, usually brought about by a diaganol... Again generally speaking, I dislike forced layups that ask you to hit the same club twice (e.g. 3 iron, 3 iron for the longer hitter, possibly creating difficulty for the shorter hitter's second shot)...

I'll think of some examples...

Kyle Harris

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 06:33:06 AM »
I'm out the door, but perhaps someone can take the baton.

C-2 at Huntingdon Valley.

TEPaul

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 07:34:38 AM »
R.S. Barker:

I'm not completely sure what you mean by a forced layup but the world's usual #1 course, Pine Valley, actually has a very good numbers of holes that essentially takes the driver out of the hands on the tee of good and long players due to a form of cross-hazard prevalently used or perhaps better explained as "interrupted" fairways. They have added some tee length recently to a number of those holes but I hope you see my point. But I'm not sure if that fits into your point.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back