News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dave_Wilber

Martis Camp doesn't make the Golf Week list? Really?
« on: November 08, 2009, 11:48:58 PM »
Ok so..... I never like getting involved with this kind of stuff, but this one has me baffled.

A bunch of us were looking at the best new list in Golf Week last week at Sonoma GC. And the topic was how did Martis get missed. And how in the world did it get missed while Timilick got in the top 10.

I'll probably send a note to Brad, but I know some of you here are GW raters and I'd love to hear more.

---------
Dave Wilber
Wilber Consulting--Coaching, Writing Broadcasting, Agronomy
davewilber@yahoo.com
twitter: @turfgrasszealot
instagram @turfgrasszeal
"No one goes to play the great courses we talk about here because they do a nice bowl of soup. Soup helps, but you can’t putt in it." --Wilber

Ronald Montesano

Re: Martis Camp doesn't make the Golf Week list? Really?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 05:36:17 AM »
Don't ask me...I'm a continent away and I picked it for my Fantasy Team on this fine discussion group!
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Dave_Wilber

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 09:21:02 AM »
Ok...that's one down...!
---------
Dave Wilber
davewilber@yahoo.com
instagram @turfgrasszeal
"No one goes to play the great courses we talk about here because they do a nice bowl of soup. Soup helps, but you can’t putt in it." --Wilber

Sean Leary

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 09:38:46 AM »
I am guessing it didn't make the date cut-off.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 10:15:38 AM »
Given that some have stated its very exclusive in nature...perhaps it just didn't get enough visits!

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 11:06:42 AM »
Usually these high end (expensive), high profile, well manicured, pretty and well constructed courses make it.  So it must have been the date of opening.  Notice I didn't say well designed.

It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 11:09:07 AM »
I'm shocked.  Martis Camp is maybe the best Fazio course I have played.  Some people think its way too difficult, the bunkers are very deep and very penal but its a superb routing and the back nine is over the top.

Timilick is complete artificial mounding, fake lakes and bland bunkering.   Lets hope the cutoff is the answer.

PThomas

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 11:23:42 AM »
Given that some have stated its very exclusive in nature...perhaps it just didn't get enough visits!

more raters do need to see the course, that is correct
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 07:32:53 PM »
I am guessing it was either missing the cutoff or not enough raters saw it yet. I am with Joel on the quality of this course in the world of Fazio. It belongs in his most elitie 5 courses.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 08:29:51 PM »
Suddenly, Ron looks like a sneaky genius with his selection of martis camp in the fantasy draft...everywhere but in your own country.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2009, 10:11:53 PM »
I am guessing it was either missing the cutoff or not enough raters saw it yet.

They hosted 40 Golf Digest panelists this year and couldn't have been nicer.   Very accomodating.

The quality of this course is just outstanding, I would grade the conditioning 3 points over Timilick, 8.5 to 5.5.  Again the bunkering is tough, very penal if you look at the last photo.

Tom Fussell

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2009, 10:41:07 PM »
Martis Camp was on the Golfweek 2008 list #11.  I knew that didn't sound correct that it wasn't even on the list.

http://www.golfweek.com/news/2008/jul/07/2008-golfweeks-best-new-courses/?RANKINGS-GolfweeksBest

Dave_Wilber

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2009, 01:53:50 AM »
Martis Camp was on the Golfweek 2008 list #11.  I knew that didn't sound correct that it wasn't even on the list.

http://www.golfweek.com/news/2008/jul/07/2008-golfweeks-best-new-courses/?RANKINGS-GolfweeksBest

NICE ! Thanks Tom. When we were looking at the 2009 results, one of the gents was totally sure that it wasn't on the 2008 list. I guess we (I)  should have checked.

Having said that, I don't know how Timilick beat Sand Hollow..but that's a different topic.
---------
Dave Wilber
davewilber@yahoo.com
instagram @turfgrasszeal

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back