News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Warren

Re: European Club, PGA, Harrington, Ruddy, green fees...
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 02:59:27 AM »
Interesting.

I spoke to a few blokes when I was in Ireland recently who said there was a fair amount of noses out of joint about the tournament going to TEC in the first place. It was basically viewed as a vehicle to get Padriag ready for The Open, with many players unhappy with the location, and plenty upset about the set-up of the course.

Interestingly, indeed perplexingly, I was told many of the Irish pros would rather have the PGA and Irish Open contested inland...
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 06:35:03 PM by Scott Warren »

Andrew Brown

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 03:00:54 AM »
Pat Ruddy really wrote;

"...the time has come for our members and guests to have a break and to that end we have begun a severe cutting back of our roughs to accommodate normal humans."

An acknowledgement that professionals are not normal??? ;)

Seriously, can I have Mr Ruddy's phone number. My club here in Norway hosted a Challenge Tour event over a year ago. The committee still is delusional and has kept the narrow fairways and inescapable 8 inch rough in places where members often hit....Pat Ruddy could talk to the committee at my club  ;D

Brian Phillips knows what I mean....

Regards
Andrew Brown

Sean_A

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 05:24:37 AM »
Does this signal a change in direction for Ruddy?  He always struck me as the sort of bloke who thought the middle of the fairway is where the player should be and if he should wander, there is a heavy price to pay.  The charge often leveled at Ruddy designs is they are too tough when the wind blows.  I didn't find this to be the case at Donegal, a course I have a lot of time for, but TEC was a different story.  I am pleased Ruddy will create a bit more space so golfers can actually play the game rather than look for balls and hack it around.

You gotta give Ruddy credit for stepping up and helping out the PGA when the event needed help and for opting out of the PGA on his own terms.   

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 05:27:58 AM »
Interesting.

I spoke to a few blokes when I was in Ireland recently who said there was a fair amount of noses out of joint about the tournament going to TEC in the first place. It was basically viewed as a vehicle to get Padriag ready for The Open, with pretty much no other player happy with the location, and plenty upset about the set-up of the course before and after a competitor broke his wrist playing from the rough just off a fairway.

Interestingly, I was told most of the Irish pros would rather have the PGA and Irish Open contested inland...

It is incorrect to say that no other player was has happy with the location and it is also incorrect to say most of the Irish pros would rather have the Irsih PGA and Open inland. The best Irish courses are by the sea, the best players want to play on the best courses.

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Scott Warren

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 05:32:32 AM »

It is incorrect to say that no other player was has happy with the location and it is also incorrect to say most of the Irish pros would rather have the Irsih PGA and Open inland. The best Irish courses are by the sea, the best players want to play on the best courses.

Do they really? Don't most pros want to play somewhere that suits their game so they can make money? In any case, that is what I was told, by blokes who played in the last three PGAs at TEC. They may be incorrect.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 04:33:00 AM by Scott Warren »

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2009, 05:47:46 AM »
Interesting.

I spoke to a few blokes when I was in Ireland recently who said there was a fair amount of noses out of joint about the tournament going to TEC in the first place. It was basically viewed as a vehicle to get Padriag ready for The Open, with pretty much no other player happy with the location, and plenty upset about the set-up of the course before and after a competitor broke his wrist playing from the rough just off a fairway.

Interestingly, I was told most of the Irish pros would rather have the PGA and Irish Open contested inland...

Do they really? Don't most pros want to play somewhere that suits there game so they can make money? In any case, that is what I was told, by blokes who played in the last three PGAs at TEC. They may be incorrect.

Scott, you said that other then Harrington nobody else wasn't happy with the location. I do know for a fact that's not true. I also know for a fact that the best players want to play on the best courses.

How do I know this, well I am a pro, I played in the European Club this year. I was very happy with the venue. Most of the guys I know were happy with the venue, the guys who weren't are the guys who look for problems rather then solutions, they will always be unhappy with something.

It's a very difficult course and really will test anybody's game, an ideal venue for a championship. I wouldn't want to play there everyday but it's a great place to go if you want to know how well you're playing.

Pros will play anywhere there is prize money.

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Scott Warren

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 05:52:11 AM »
Scott, you said that other then Harrington nobody else wasn't happy with the location.

I didn't actually, I said I was told that very few were happy, by guys who played. Perhaps they are in a minority and were talking it up. Perhaps not.

Niall C

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2009, 11:55:08 AM »
Does this signal a change in direction for Ruddy?  He always struck me as the sort of bloke who thought the middle of the fairway is where the player should be and if he should wander, there is a heavy price to pay.  The charge often leveled at Ruddy designs is they are too tough when the wind blows.  I didn't find this to be the case at Donegal, a course I have a lot of time for, but TEC was a different story.  I am pleased Ruddy will create a bit more space so golfers can actually play the game rather than look for balls and hack it around.

You gotta give Ruddy credit for stepping up and helping out the PGA when the event needed help and for opting out of the PGA on his own terms.   

Ciao

Sean

I was under the impression that Donegal was a Eddie Hackett course and that Ruddy only did one par 3 green ? In fact the green I'm thinking about just looked totally amateurish in design and out of place with the rest of the course. I have to confess it made me mentally take the European off my list of courses I wanted to play even though I'd heard the course was good. Apologies if Ruddy is getting the blame for someone elses work.

Niall

Jack_Marr

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 02:28:29 AM »
Donegal is a Hackett course, but Pat Ruddy was brought in to make some changes, more than just one green, I'm sure.

I like Ruddy's stuff a lot and love the European Club, unfortunately it's out of my price range now.

I think he did a few new holes in Stackstown, and I'm not sure they turned out great, but you can only use what you've been handed.

John Marr(inan)

Scott Warren

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2009, 04:19:08 AM »
Jack,

If you are a TEC fan, there is a special this winter - E65 to play in the weekly Wednesday comp. I believe there is a registration fee of E30 to be eligible to play in the comps.

Niall C

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2009, 01:53:18 PM »
...........so that would be 95 euros then ? I suspect you'll get better winter deals on top courses elsewhere.

Jack

Having played Donegal, do you know the par 3 that I'm referring to ? From what I remember the green was relatively flat and had bunkers either side which were like shallow circular dishes that had about as much aesthetic appeal as tarmac cart paths. You could just about putt out them as well from what I remember.

I'm interested to hear if its as bad as I remember, or maybe I was just having a bad day.

Niall

Scott Warren

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2009, 02:10:04 PM »
Niall,

The comps run all winter, every week, and the E30 is a one-off fee, so I guess it depends how many weeks you play.

Niall C

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2009, 02:16:14 PM »
Scott

Thats absolutely true. I apologise for the tone of that last post.

For my money, and this isn't a go at Pat Ruddy, I would want to play a different course each week for 65 euros. I guess it comes down to how big your wallet is.

BTW, I'm presently languishing in the North of Scotland dodging puddles and note that lossiemouth are offering winter membership from 1st Nov to end of March next year for the price of £120. Thats a great deal on any links but when you consider that they have two courses in Old and New Moray, thats got to be one of the best deals in the country.

Niall

Jack_Marr

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2009, 04:04:22 PM »
Jack,

If you are a TEC fan, there is a special this winter - E65 to play in the weekly Wednesday comp. I believe there is a registration fee of E30 to be eligible to play in the comps.

Thanks Scott, I'd pay that, for sure. There are some great deals around at the moment - I can even play Portmarnock Links for under 30 euro... I fear I wouldn't get out on the European Club to make it really worthwhile, but I may.

John
John Marr(inan)

Jack_Marr

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2009, 04:05:51 PM »
...........so that would be 95 euros then ? I suspect you'll get better winter deals on top courses elsewhere.

Jack

Having played Donegal, do you know the par 3 that I'm referring to ? From what I remember the green was relatively flat and had bunkers either side which were like shallow circular dishes that had about as much aesthetic appeal as tarmac cart paths. You could just about putt out them as well from what I remember.

I'm interested to hear if its as bad as I remember, or maybe I was just having a bad day.

Niall

Hi NIall

I havne't played it since Ruddy made his changes, so I'm not sure which green that is. I hope to get out there early next year, when I have a little more time. I'll try to take some photos if I can.

Regards

John
John Marr(inan)

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2009, 07:30:40 PM »
Scott I am not sure why this is big news. There are plenty of other courses in Ireland that allow the best players to separate themselves from the lessor ones that week and a Champion to rise to the top. Mr. Ruddy has his own reasons which should be the ones he stated publicly. I can say from personal experience you do not want him to have your number if he percieves your comments to be critical of his course.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back