News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jamie Barber

Re: Courses that benefit from their location
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2009, 11:36:10 AM »
Sean,

Take your point about the prices. I think the visitor rates for Prince's are too high. I wouldn't pay the visitors rate for Deal, but it's good value as a member's guest.

I think Sandwich is excellent, and see why most prefer Deal to Prince's, but I really like Prince's. As you said, no real highs or lows, but a solid test and tranquil setting.

Next time you're down we should have a game!

TEPaul

« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2009, 11:53:21 AM »
Any golf course that's in the vicinity of Fernandina Beach Municipal GC.

FBMGC is in North Florida right underneath the Georgia state line and it was apparently designed by Timucuan Indian, Tommy Birdsong, but now that we know HH Barker took a train from New York to Georgia in Dec. 1910 it is quite likely that Barker, considered to be the second best architect in America at the time, right behind C.B. Macdonald, it is very possible Barker designed the great Fernandina Beach Municipal or at least offered a sketch routing for it to the "White Men" who were about to rip off the Timucan Indians for its land.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 12:03:03 PM by TEPaul »

Sean_A

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2009, 11:57:55 AM »
Sean,

Take your point about the prices. I think the visitor rates for Prince's are too high. I wouldn't pay the visitors rate for Deal, but it's good value as a member's guest.

I think Sandwich is excellent, and see why most prefer Deal to Prince's, but I really like Prince's. As you said, no real highs or lows, but a solid test and tranquil setting.

Next time you're down we should have a game!

Jamie

Lets face it, all of these clubs are great value as a guest because they are all very good courses, but that isn't really the entire question so far as I am concerned.  Because of their uniform quality I look elsewhere for what separates them and price is part of that equation. I know many disagree and thats fair enough.  

Yes, I would like to get back to Princes and Deal.  Maybe next year.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Scott Warren

« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2009, 02:28:26 PM »
Sean, sounds like you have open arms at both Prince's and Deal, and Sandwich is only charging 60 quid as a winter rate. That to me sounds like the winter long weekend from heaven. You have the spare room at my house at least one night.

I personally want to play Dunes/Shore at Prince's again... Let's tee something up!

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2009, 03:47:53 PM »
In some ways course that are off the beaten path benefit from being ewmpte.  Bandon and Sand Hills may be prime examples.  It takes work to get there. But their location is part of the allure.  That is not necessarily true for all courses, however.  Greywalls may be an example of this.  Even though, from what I hear, the course is worth the trip.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back