News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ryan Admussen

Bandon Dunes vs. Bandon Trails
« on: November 06, 2009, 10:19:11 PM »
From previous posts, Bandon Trails seems to be favored, just curious why? when courses are at this level is it strictly personal taste or are there other reasons?

Stan Dodd

Re: Bandon Dunes vs. Bandon Trails
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 10:35:41 PM »
I much prefer the walk at Bandon Dunes. 

Adam Clayman

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 10:41:50 PM »
For me the major difference was the feature shaping. Bill Coore has unbelievable eye for the natural and BT blends in so well, any course would have trouble standing up to the job he did for Mr. Keiser on that front.

BD on the other hand has an almost too perfect edge to the shaping. Such uniformity rarely occurs in nature, especially sea side.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 11:18:03 PM »
BT had more of a natural flow and feel about it's layout compared to BD for mine. BD has a few "lesser" moments in it's routing and as Adam says has a little too "constructed" feel about it with almost perfect mounding in parts.

PD blends the "edginess" of the site much better than BD.

Sean Leary

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 11:23:02 PM »
More C and C butt boys here.

The general public much prefers BD.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 01:21:44 AM »
Lord knows I'm grateful for that.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Eric_Terhorst

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 02:07:03 AM »
Bandon Dunes is Kidd's first course--it's pretty straightforward throughout and as Adam's pointed out the fit and finish isn't as accomplished.  It's a fun course to play, and does have some great holes, though, like #11--with fairly simple strategic options but a nasty bite for the unwary.  I like to play Bandon Dunes as the last round of the visit.  How many architects have had a better debut?

Bandon Trails is certainly more of a puzzle for the brain.  I think you could play it dozens of times and still discover subtleties.  It's much more punishing around the greens than Bandon Dunes and there's an art to approaching the BT greens that I haven't figured out.  That type of design certainly doesn't happen by accident, and the experience of C&C shows.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 02:12:49 AM »

The general public prefers Macdonald's and The National Enquirer. 

Sean Leary

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2009, 11:02:51 AM »

Golfweek, Golf Digest, and Golf Magazine raters prefer Bandon Dunes as well. I prefer Trails myself.

Duane Sharpe

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2009, 11:08:43 AM »
After just recently playiing all four courses at Bandon. I prefer BT to BD even though we played in the rain.
The variety of shots and shot values at BT are incredible. The greens were nearly perfectly designed and they were in terrific shape as well.
BT was up there with PD for me!
Sharpee

Adam Clayman

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2009, 11:14:03 AM »
Sean, If the numbers continue to grow, the panels will reflect the general public more and more.

The good thing about that might turn out to be a greater awareness for the architecture by the general public. I, will not be holding my breath, though.

Honestly, When I played there and started on BD, I couldn't have cared less who designed it. It was just so exciting to be playing links golf. It wasn't until later in the round where the slight criticism I've made became apparent.

I will also admit to being somewhat concerned with the news of another course possibly going in. WHile the 12 hole concept is very cool, I just wonder if there's a point of saturation or something along those lines. Also, others have associated the 12 hole par 3 layout with drinking and gambling. Somehow that implies raucous behavior and could potentially demean the dream, so to speak.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2009, 11:21:40 AM »
Let's remember that Kidd had a weird influential blend of Macrihanish and Gleneagles...that's akin to growing up on Maidstone and Turning Stone, to some degree.  It makes sense that both would be in his blood and the blood of his designs.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Chris Cupit

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2009, 11:46:24 AM »
It may sound weird but I travelled from Atlanta to Bandon, walked all three courses and didn't play any of them!  Based on walking and watching others play, Bandon Dunes was my least favorite of the three.  Now, that's absolutely splitting hairs as all three courses (there were three when i was there) are excellent but I thought Bandon Dunes had some weak/unispired holes--#9, #17, #18 for example.

I loved the look and feel of Trails and while I wasn't crazy about #18 tee shot (which after watching some of the best Ams play it in severe weather made me think it did not offer enough space), I thought there were more terrific looking green sites there than anything at Bandon Dunes.  Highlights for me were the bunker complex short of the first par 5, the split fairway par 4 fifth? and that green nestled in there, the par three 8th? with the great green/mounding, the par three  17th.

Great spot but I vote Trails.  If I was giving my friends advice and knowing their tastes I would have said play Pacific Dunes first, Trails next.  I'd then tell them there is no need to play BD unless they just wanted to "punch their card" so to speak as PD is every bit as spectacular and seems like a better course anyway. 

If I am there for five days of golf and could play say 36 four days and 18 the last day I play:  4 PD. 4 BT and 1 BD (to pick up the the little Toucan headcover or whatever that thing is) :)  Actually, I know it's something else and he's kinda cute so I already bought one for my wife last trip but I'd feel guilty getting one myself without actually playing BD ;).   

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2009, 11:53:08 AM »
Strikes one, two and three for Chris...

One...17 and 9 are not uninspired at BD.

Two...You revealed yourself to be a card puncher by bringing it up.

Three...It's a puffin.

You get a reprieve/another swing for the splitting hairs comment.

Bandon Dunes, at the time it was introduced, was everything to those not members at Sand Hills that Sand Hills was to its members.  It represented a light in the darkness.  This should never be forgotten.  Pac Dunes, Trails and Old Mac stand on the shoulders of Bandon Dunes.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Cristian

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2009, 12:00:35 PM »
I would imagine (have not played at BD resort) that if Bandon Dunes was the only links track on the property it might have been more popular than BT, but because there is now a second (and soon a third) more popular links course, BT is a change to the senses at the resort as the only non-links and therefore more popular than BD.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2009, 12:06:21 PM »
Don't let the publicity fool you...BT is VERY linksy...the same shots that work on the other three courses will work on BT.  The width of the fairways is greater at the three by the water, lesser at BT.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Sean Leary

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2009, 12:08:41 PM »
Sean, If the numbers continue to grow, the panels will reflect the general public more and more.

The good thing about that might turn out to be a greater awareness for the architecture by the general public. I, will not be holding my breath, though.

Honestly, When I played there and started on BD, I couldn't have cared less who designed it. It was just so exciting to be playing links golf. It wasn't until later in the round where the slight criticism I've made became apparent.

I will also admit to being somewhat concerned with the news of another course possibly going in. WHile the 12 hole concept is very cool, I just wonder if there's a point of saturation or something along those lines. Also, others have associated the 12 hole par 3 layout with drinking and gambling. Somehow that implies raucous behavior and could potentially demean the dream, so to speak.

I agree with everything you say here, Adam I really do.

I just think GCAers WANT Trails to be better, thats all. We look for the good in C and C courses, not the bad. Its just one of our natural biases.  And as I said, I like it better myself.

If Trails was exactly as it is (I know impossible, but bear with me), but Art Hills designed it, do you think it would be as favored over BD as it is here?

I played two rounds over two days with a prominent GCAer once. We played two courses, one by a MFA, one by a NFA(Not Favored Architect). The NFA course is highly rated, Top 100, the MFA course is not but very good. He started analyzing the courses immediately, and what struck me in his comments was how quickly he was looking for the good things from the MFA and the bad things from the NFA. He would admit that the NFA course is clearly better, but during the rounds, he looked for the good things in one and the bad things in the other. I just found it interesting, thats all.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2009, 12:20:44 PM »
Didn't that essentially happen with Chambers Bay?  An LFA designed it and we all asked "why wait until now?"  We the enlightened would ask "why did you wait, Art Hills?"
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Sean Leary

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2009, 12:27:14 PM »
Didn't that essentially happen with Chambers Bay?  An LFA designed it and we all asked "why wait until now?"  We the enlightened would ask "why did you wait, Art Hills?"

Yes. But RTJ Jr. himself gets almost no credit for it here. Perhaps deservedly so, but we want to assign credit to someone else.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2009, 12:29:27 PM »
To whom, Bruce Charlton?  Jason Blasi?  RTJ2 had to sign off in some form or fashion.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Mike Benham

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2009, 12:40:38 PM »

I'm assuming you mean the fast food chain and if so, it is "McDonald's but if they want to add a burger shop on the Bandon property, perhaps they will add the "a" and a lower case "d" to fit in ...

"... and I liked the guy ..."

Sean Leary

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2009, 12:42:42 PM »
To whom, Bruce Charlton?  Jason Blasi?  RTJ2 had to sign off in some form or fashion.

Both. And I agree, but have you ever seen the underlings get more credit than the name like with CB? And again, it most likely is deserved. But if it ended up being a disappointment, would Blasi and Charlton get the blame? No.

Chris Cupit

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2009, 01:05:14 PM »
Strikes one, two and three for Chris...

One...17 and 9 are not uninspired at BD.

Two...You revealed yourself to be a card puncher by bringing it up.

Three...It's a puffin.

You get a reprieve/another swing for the splitting hairs comment.

Bandon Dunes, at the time it was introduced, was everything to those not members at Sand Hills that Sand Hills was to its members.  It represented a light in the darkness.  This should never be forgotten.  Pac Dunes, Trails and Old Mac stand on the shoulders of Bandon Dunes.

It wouldn't be the first time I've struck out :D  and thanks for the reprieve!

BD is excellent.  I love how you don't see the water until lookind down into #4.  It's a great and beautiful walk and you are right that is does deserve credit as the back bone of an inspired destination for golf.  I do think those that have followed it have improved upon the original if you will.

I guess you agree that #18 is a bit lacking (on a relative scale) and I'll give you that there is more going on on 17 than 9 but really, what is there to #9 :o  Very bland ground, and you play up a tube for a couple of shots and then pitch to a pretty ho-hum green.  I admit I never played it but from what I saw there just wasn't much going on.  Wasn't the old range nearby--kinda blends in with it doesn't it ;)

Someone that spent a week in Bandon with the oppotunity to play pretty cheaply who passes that up is most definitely NOT a "card puncher".  I think I'm the anti card puncher as I would not even buy a logo or wear one from a course I hadn't played.  I don't save scorecards, keep hole in one balls or have a logo ball collection much less any "list" of "great courses" I have played!  I am going back to play and BD will be on the list because it does look like fun to play;and, so I can join my wife and become a two Puffin family ;D  They do look like distant cousins to the Fruit Loops bird though :P

Anyway it IS a special place.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2009, 03:46:27 PM »
Bandon Dunes plays like a resort course, fairly straight forward and in front of you. Bandon Trails plays like a members' course where you gain more respect as you discover some of it's secrets.

Tim Bert

« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2009, 04:11:48 PM »
I like Bandon Dunes better. Not trying to qualify it as the better course; simply the one I enjoy playing more.

I love the start of Trails. I like most of the finish. The middle doesn't inspire me and I like the 18th tee shot less with every play.

Bandon Dunes has the blandest greens at the resort which would usually drive me to prefer Trails but I enjoy the walk and the holes and the total package more.

To me the real test is how many times do I want to play each course. Last time out there we had 2 rounds booked at each of these two courses. We traded in our 2nd round at Trails for another round at Pacific Dunes which made our split 4-2-1. For next June we didn't even consider a 2nd round at Trails. We ultimately landed on only 1 at each BD and BT but we would have played a 2nd at BD if OM were not opening.

I am pretty sure that all 4 in my foursome would agree with the extra round at Bandon Dunes over Bandon Trails.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back