News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Warren

Caddying in London
« on: November 09, 2009, 10:02:30 AM »
If one were interested in caddying, are any of the London heathland clubs the sort of place you could make a bit of money doing so?

What does a club expect you to bring in your kitbag of experience as a new caddy?

I must admit the presence of caddies is not something I have ever taken notice of or enquired about.

Sean_A

Re: Caddying in London
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 10:20:21 AM »
Scott

I don't know of any caddie corps in London.  I suspect they are mostly "on call/advance booking" sort of deals.  You could try calling the secretary of some of the clubs which get heavy tourist play at big bucks and see if you could get on their list or be put in touch with the "caddie master". 

I caddie sometimes at Burnham if the rate is high enough, but I wouldn't call myself a caddie.  All I really do is hang about with the player, do the things for him that I do for myself when playing and offer advice if asked.  I think the players like me because I carry and can be at their side while many of the chaps (who are also members) at Burnham use the trolley while caddying and therefore are often somewhere else as and where the trolley path takes them.

Now is probably a good time to start asking around as organizers will be looking to bolster their numbers for next year.   

Ciao 
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Scott Warren

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 10:22:38 AM »
Thanks Sean.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 06:21:55 PM »
Sunningdale and Wentworth used to be the places.  I know Nick Dougherty and Lee Westwood have recruited from their corps.

Many of their finest have moved to Queenwood where I understand a caddy is mandatory.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 06:39:39 PM »
Caddys are not mandatory at Queenwood. I have played there with members who like to carry their own. Queenwood has some very good caddies, many of whom have spent time working the Euro tours.

Remember, going overseas means single bag loops, where as most here in the US are double bags. And dont forget to wet your towel!

Robin Doodson

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 08:23:50 PM »
Scott,

The caddy master's name at Wentworth is Alan Coster. he's a really nice guy and spent a bit of time in australia.  i would suggest going up and introducing yourself. It may take you a while to get regular work but if you prove yourself to be reliable there should be plenty work going. i spent 4 and a half years caddying there in my spare time and made myself enough money to travel round the world a couple of times. good luck.

robin

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 08:26:12 PM »
Scott,

The caddy master's name at Wentworth is Alan Coster. he's a really nice guy and spent a bit of time in australia.  i would suggest going up and introducing yourself. It may take you a while to get regular work but if you prove yourself to be reliable there should be plenty work going. i spent 4 and a half years caddying there in my spare time and made myself enough money to travel round the world a couple of times. good luck.

robin

Now that's music to Scott's ears!

Scott Warren

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 02:17:58 AM »
Many thanks one and all. Robin, I will speak to him.

Mark Woodger

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 01:25:23 PM »
i used to caddy at the London Golf Club (which is actually in Kent). It paid pretty well at the time but was very much a call in advance situation rather then turn up and wait. I would rather caddy at the other places mentioned but if they dont work out you could try this.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back