News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Bentham

Re: I played all 18 at Old Macdonald today...
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2009, 02:47:31 AM »
Why does every Bandon thread devolve into the 10 round split 'discussion'?  It is annoying.  10 rounds in one trip isn't even a realistic number to begin with.  And Ross is right, coming to Bandon and not playing Bandon Dunes is silly. 

Jud_T

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2009, 09:05:10 AM »
i think 8 rounds is realistic....5 days- 36/18/36/18/36....fit in a massage on the 18 hole days! 
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Kalen Braley

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2009, 09:13:14 AM »
Joe its just an easier way to let people know how much you like/prefer the courses.

Would it be better to you if people said:

Old Mac - OMG! Luv it 4 ever!!
Pac Dunes - Not to be missed, epic golf!!
Bandon Trails - Terrific golf, a must play!!
Bandon Dunes - Awesome golf course, gotta see it!!

JC Jones

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2009, 09:53:48 AM »
i think 8 rounds is realistic....5 days- 36/18/36/18/36....fit in a massage on the 18 hole days! 

I agree, only you would then be staying 6 nights with no golf on your day of arrival or day of departure.

Ideally, I'd get there in the morning then go 18/36/36/36/18 and depart in the afternoon of the 5th day.  You save yourself 2 nights lodging.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Jud_T

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2009, 10:13:57 AM »
JC- i agree, except for 2 things.  Making connections to and from chicago and pacing ourselves...back to back 36 is too much for some of us old guys...especially without one of melvyn's conveyances:  :-*
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Bill_McBride

« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2009, 10:58:57 AM »
Well here I go again. Playing zero rounds on Bandon Dunes is just flat out nuts, in my opinion. But to each his own. However, as far as giving advice to a first time visitor, you absolutely HAVE to play it. It's a fantastic golf course. I tend to find myself defending BD all the time on threads here, just because I often feel like a voice in the wilderness on GCA, where the generally held position is that it is far inferior to the other two (soon to be three). I just don't see it.

I'll second all of Bill McBride's picks. I mean you simply HAVE to see and play 16 on Bandon Dunes. It's a one-of-a-kind hole and absolutely spectacular. And in the summer wind it's one of the more thrilling tee shots at the resort to try and decide just how aggressive you want to be.

Anyway, in addition to the aforementioned 4, 5, 15, and 16, I would call 1, 2, 6, 10, 11, and 12 all terrific holes. Bandon Dunes will absolutely beat the pants off of most of the golf courses that most people play their entire lives. The amazing thing is that the other two (soon to be three) courses at the resort are better, and in some cases (PD for sure) WAY better. That's why the place is so damned great.

OK, that's my defense of Bandon Dunes for today. Don't wanna be a broken record.

Ross, agreed on #10.  It's amazing to me how few see how much easier that hole is with a tee shot way left.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2009, 12:14:43 PM »
Why does every Bandon thread devolve into the 10 round split 'discussion'?  It is annoying.  10 rounds in one trip isn't even a realistic number to begin with.  And Ross is right, coming to Bandon and not playing Bandon Dunes is silly. 

Joe,

Haven't you been reading this site? There are guys here that could/would do
Arrive, evening 18
Day 1 54
Day 2 54
Day 3 54
Leave day 4

Some of them won't even stop after 54 in a day.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Joe Bentham

« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2009, 02:12:34 PM »
Joe its just an easier way to let people know how much you like/prefer the courses.

Would it be better to you if people said:

Old Mac - OMG! Luv it 4 ever!!
Pac Dunes - Not to be missed, epic golf!!
Bandon Trails - Terrific golf, a must play!!
Bandon Dunes - Awesome golf course, gotta see it!!

No, I would prefer if we could stay on topic and discuss the new pictures of Old Mac I posted on my blog, or Old Mac in general.  Go back and look at what percentage of Bandon Threads die out because they are hijacked by the 10 round discussion.
Joe,

Haven't you been reading this site? There are guys here that could/would do
Arrive, evening 18
Day 1 54
Day 2 54
Day 3 54
Leave day 4

Some of them won't even stop after 54 in a day.

Garland

Whats with the personal attacks?  I've been reading this site for several years.  But I think the fact that I've been looping year round at Bandon Dunes Golf Resort for even longer gives my comments some credibility.  People don't play 54 holes two days in a row, let alone three.  In fact so few guests play more then 36 holes in a day that the resort gives away the third round.
Furthermore I'd suggest that your boot camp itinerary would leave little room for enjoyment of one's vacation or any true understanding or appreciation of the golf courses being played.  Of course to each his own.  But have you played such a schedule here?  Or where you just interested in arguing? 
Also the only thing my being a Duck explains is that I root for the best team in the PAC-10, maybe one of the best teams in the nation and certainty one of the funnest teams in college football to watch.  Who do you root for?

Rob Rigg

« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2009, 02:31:08 PM »
Joe,

My intent was not to jack the thread - just get some "context" from others who have played there (at least the preview round).

Honestly, one of the most challenging things about planning a Bandon trip, even before OM, was how to split rounds because the courses are all SO good.

In terms of the course - what are your favorite holes on the full loop? which ones will your clients have the most fun with, or the most challenge? Is there any type of client that will NOT enjoy OM?

Go Ducks! OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

(I am Duck by marriage)

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2009, 02:54:05 PM »
I have played the preview course and walked the remaining holes, on OM at least four times. Taken 160+ photos, won't upload them until May at the earliest. Don't want to pop their bubble. Been going down there before Bandon Dunes even opened. Will be there  11/20-23 for 4 rounds.
10:  PD-3, OM-3; BD-2, BT-2
8:    PD-3, OM-3; BD-1  BT-1.

Will four courses + C&C mean groups will spend more time at Bandon or just try and cram in more golf into the same time slot?

Garland Bayley

« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2009, 03:18:40 PM »

Garland

Whats with the personal attacks? 

No personal attacks, just stating facts as I have read them. That said, any duck should expect a shot across the bow or two from a beaver.

I've been reading this site for several years.  But I think the fact that I've been looping year round at Bandon Dunes Golf Resort for even longer gives my comments some credibility.  People don't play 54 holes two days in a row, let alone three.  In fact so few guests play more then 36 holes in a day that the resort gives away the third round.

I didn't write all or many. I wrote some, which can be as few as two, would be capable of the schedule I gave, thereby demonstrating it to be realistic for some. You wrote it wasn't realistic for to do 10 rounds in a trip. Just didn't get why it wouldn't be realistic. Some people might stay 10 days to do their 10 rounds for all I know. If I were in my prime and had the wherewithal, I would the 54 hole schedule given such an opportunity.

Furthermore I'd suggest that your boot camp itinerary would leave little room for enjoyment of one's vacation or any true understanding or appreciation of the golf courses being played.  Of course to each his own.  But have you played such a schedule here?  Or where you just interested in arguing? 

That's certainly an arguable statement. But, I'll let it go, and say I'm glad you enjoyed your round.

Also the only thing my being a Duck explains is that I root for the best team in the PAC-10, maybe one of the best teams in the nation and certainty one of the funnest teams in college football to watch.  Who do you root for?

I guess we find out about that best thing in a few weeks, now won't we? ;)

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2009, 04:18:12 PM »
Joe,
     Your picture of #14 (the first after the group shot) reminds me how important being observant is to have a chance to play your best golf. You really will need to see where the hole is cut on #14 as you crest (pant, pant, pant) the hill after the third tee shot. There are many opportunities to see what lies ahead and plan accordingly.
     I agree with your assesment of holes at the limit of par. Usually I like my chances from 20-40 yards out and quickly see the best shot for me. Trying to envision those shots at OM left my head with freezer burn.
     The 2nd foto after the group shot is taken from the 2nd green, showing the up and over tee shot on the 3rd. The next photo shows the hill on the left side of 13 green. After that is a panorama of the 15th.

Ross Waldorf

« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2009, 06:14:29 PM »
Thanks for the additional info, Pete. And thanks again, Joe, for what you wrote on your blog. I'm always eager to get more info on Old Macdonald, as it will be a highlight of my golf year in 2010. It's nice to hear what people have to say about Bandon Dunes in general and Old Macdonald in particular.

So according to Pete, the shot on your blog of the green with the big mound in front is 14 -- so that would be at the top of a hill that the hole moves up as you head to the 15th tee, yes? That looks like a cool feature. Might remind anyone who went out to Santa Anita at this year's KP of the knob in front of the 10th green, which is a wonderful feature and dictates that you want to plan the hole backwards from the green.

Also, Joe, what were your impressions of 16? As someone who has always thought that pictures of number 3 at NGLA look like about the coolest golf hole I've ever seen, I'm certainly looking forward to having a chance to play an Alps, and I'm guessing Old Macdonald's will be suitably intriguing. That panorama of 15 really does look majestic -- sounds like the incoming 4 or 5 holes will be memorable.

Finally -- I've heard very little about 18. I have been wondering -- given the general scale of the place people speak of when discussing Old Macdonald -- what Urbina and Doak have done with the home hole. What is the fitting conclusion to a course like Old Mac? I'm guessing there is a pretty large-scaled punchbowl as you come into the 18th green. How does it tie in with the opening tee? And what is the feel of that whole area as you approach the beginning of your round? Those are some of the things that interest me. Looking forward to seeing the place in person.

Anyway -- thanks again for the blog, Joe. Perhaps I'll see you in Bandon next year. There are people who do read your blog with some regularity -- and I'm one of 'em.
R

Kevin Pallier

Re: I played all 18 at Old Macdonald today... New
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2009, 11:54:03 PM »
Why does every Bandon thread devolve into the 10 round split 'discussion'?  It is annoying.  10 rounds in one trip isn't even a realistic number to begin with.  And Ross is right, coming to Bandon and not playing Bandon Dunes is silly.  

Joe

Why so ?

If I was to make a return visit to Bandon one day I dont think I'd include BD on my itinerary.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 11:59:21 PM by Kevin Pallier »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back