News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Melvyn Morrow

To honour Pat Craig and his new agenda Re Old Tom Morris
« on: November 06, 2009, 08:05:36 AM »
Pat

At every turn of the electronic page, I see you fast following me, throwing in the name of Old Tom on every turn, showing how much you must admire him. So as my way of thanking you I attach in your honour an article on your current hero ‘Old Tom Morris’ as it appeared in The New York Times on the 6th of October 1895

You, out of most on this site must be thanked for promoting Old Tom, of nearly always leading with his name. I must say you do surprise me at times. However, I really can’t say much against you as your current agenda has opened up many doors for me and I have been asked to present some golfing prizes next year.

What else can I say but many thanks.

Melvyn 

« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 08:45:38 AM by Melvyn Hunter Morrow »

Garland Bayley

Re: To honour Pat Craig and his new agenda Re Old Tom Morris
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 11:40:24 AM »
According to the NY Times it is possible for a 74 year old to walk and play 54 holes at St. Andrews within one days time.

I was going to add more, but I think that statement says all.
 :o
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

PCCraig

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 11:44:32 AM »
I don't have any problem with Old Tom Morris. In no way have I or anyone else I know have had anything negative to say about his pivotal role in the history of the game. However, my issue comes from when you whore out his good name and your family tree to promote what you feel is "real" golf.

It's even scarier that there are people on this board that actually buy your bullshit.

I've said many many many times on here that I love to walk and play golf. This year I played roughly 45 rounds of golf, and 1 was in a cart which I accepted as my host that day was riding (is he was walking, I would of walked). I have a "USGA walking member" bag tag. I belong to Rob Rigg's site "walkinggolfer.com" (and even contributed two reviews for it). I am just about as close to your preferred golfing style as anyone.

Yet I would never force my own views on the game on anyone else. Golf is unique in that it is whatever you make it. I don't care if you want to waddle around a 5900 yard links course in Scotland chasing a gutta percha just as much as I don't care if 4 guys in Vegas want to pay $500 to take carts, get drunk, smoke cigars, and occasionally swing a golf club on a big manufactured course.

But what you do is despicable. You troll an internet golf course architecture discussion board posting your holy views on golf and pressing judgment on other golfers, including Tiger Woods. And how have you gotten away with being such a total moron for so long? Because anytime someone questions you, you throw out Old Tom as a shield against any sort of criticism usually saying something along the lines of "Oh well Old Tom did this, Old Tom did that, Old Tom wouldn't throw clubs so I'm not giving the belt if Tiger wins."

Golf has changed over the years, for the better and worse, but I do know that it's never going to go back to what you think it should be. I understand you have a great sense of pride of your family tree and by all means keep Old Tom in the forefront of golfers minds and hearts. However, in no way do you deserve to use his name for your own personal gain or as a symbol for some inane movement you think you are leading.

You are hands down the only person on this board I wouldn't want to have a drink or play a round with.
H.P.S.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 11:50:52 AM »
Yet I would never force my own views on the game on anyone else. Golf is unique in that it is whatever you make it. I don't care if you want to waddle around a 5900 yard links course in Scotland chasing a gutta percha just as much as I don't care if 4 guys in Vegas want to pay $500 to take carts, get drunk, smoke cigars, and occasionally swing a golf club on a big manufactured course.

This from the person who started his membership here with a thread about the low life's that use a (in Melvyn's vernacular) trolly to carry their clubs around the course for them.

I just have to call a credibility gap alert on that one.
 :P
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 12:16:02 PM »

Pat

No need to thank me, it was my pleasure in trying to show you some consideration, but don’t you just love the warm and friendly debates and discussions we have on GCA.com,

As usual, you show your true generosity and the milk of human kindness when addressing my topics.

Peace and long life to you and your family

Melvyn

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back