News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Durban course profile is posted
« on: November 04, 2009, 07:22:07 PM »
Unlike the holes at Clear Creek which have a high quality from top to bottom with great holes sprinkled among them, today we post Durban Country Club which hits some very high notes but also throws in more than its fair share of dullish holes for a course of its international stature. Not unlike The Australian in Sydney, this is particularly ironic because the clubhouse has photographs including one giant aerial from the 1930s that show when the course was in peak form. It is a shame when clubs struggle with the obvious but that's the way it goes, especially at larger clubs like Durban with its thousands of members.

With several current day architects producing such top drawer work, weak or indifferent holes standout more and more. In particular, the two par fives on the back at Durban have had their primary bunkers removed and the consequences of that a) lessen the playing interest considerably and b) make these two long holes feel like they don't belong on a dunesland course (i.e. the old Hell Half Acre bunker at the tenth at least brought the sandy element of the dunes holes to the flatter portion of the property).

A course that wants to be in the world top 100 simply can't have five or six such holes (please don't bother suggesting that The Old Course or Pebble do >:(). Today's best architects are getting so good at routing and so good at commanding big pieces of property that you just don't see clunkers being produced.

Also, as classic old courses are being restored, the weaker holes are the ones that are most improved as invariably they turn out to be the holes that were most tampered with. For instance, we go 'live' tomorrow with an updated Eastward Ho! profile where they have done great work over the past five years. In addition, it enjoys great topography  :o THROUGH all eighteen holes - not just ~2/3 of the course as at Durban. Tell me tomorrow why Eastward Ho! shouldn't be included in an upcoming version of The World Atlas of Golf!

Yes, the pressure is on Durban to do something. If people travel that far, there will always be a sense of disappointment if the course isn't nearly flawless, such is the hype in today's world. In a surprise, Durban came in a close second to Humewood on the GolfClubAtlas.com February trip when we all would have thought it to be a clear #1 before heading down there. Its great holes are great, no doubt about it, but its weaker holes are clearly inferior to those at Humewood. Throw in the commotion that comes from being near a large city and our group preferred the more spacious, quieter coastal setting at Humewood.

Still, look at photos of the eighth and seventeenth in particular at Durban and tell me you might not put them in your own eclectic world eighteen just as Pat Ward-Thomas selected Durban's third those many years ago. Essentially, we are talking the age old debate: would you rather play a course solid throughout though never quite thrilling (e.g. Baltusrol Lower) or a flawed great one (e.g. Bel-Air)?

Cheers,

P.S. One reason to go anywhere is to see different things and before Durban, I had never been to a course where many caddies don't wear shoes. My caddy was excellent and a true delight to talk with but it is still a sight I had never seen, have you?

Padraig Dooley

Re: Durban course profile is posted
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 07:29:33 PM »

P.S. One reason to go anywhere is to see different things and before Durban, I had never been to a course where many caddies don't wear shoes. My caddy was excellent and a true delight to talk with but it is still a sight I had never seen, have you?

Easier to improve the lie in the rough!!!!
There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 07:41:12 PM »
Ran:

I saw a LOT of bare feet in India (even though I wasn't on many golf courses).

As for Durban, I can't argue with the idea that there are several very flat and very boring holes.  I heard David Kidd was consulting down there; has he tried something to address this?  But you could equally ask why so few modern courses have three holes as great as #3, #8 and #17. 

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 09:46:55 PM »

Easier to improve the lie in the rough!!!!

My dad always told me stories about the caddies at Newnan (GA) CC wearing shoes with the front part of the soles cut out so they could maneuver balls in the rough with their toes!  I think it was pretty common knowledge that the caddies would be pretty heavily on their players.  This was in the late '20s and the '30s.

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 11:41:33 AM »
Ran,

I was also dissapointed at the loss of the huge bunker on DCC's 10th hole. I suspect that the practice of teeing off on both 1 and 10 have affected the situation; surely this would be a difficult starting hole with the Hell's Half Acre present. Or perhaps the South African golfers are too stuffed from the mandatory lunch break at the 10th to negociate such hazards! Seriously, all South African golfers stop for 15 minutes at the turn and consume what to this American seemed a mountain of food; although you don't have to indulge you do have to take the 15 minute break; a most unusual custom.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 11:54:52 PM by Pete Lavallee »
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Philip Gawith

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 09:01:20 AM »
Ran, nice to see your review, albeit it nearly fell outside the statute of limitations. I love that photo of the 8th with the unique and striking angles as the land appears to jut into itself at different distances (words are failing me!).

Aside from the holes you describe, I think the course has a very distinctive feel - partly the coastal turf, partly the verdant tropical vegetation, partly the large, shallowish bunkers with the heavy red sand.

Pete, I think the halfway house custom has its roots in a lot of golf starting pretty early in the morning, so players are coming in around 9am for some breakfast - though this practice has evolved a bit since then, i grant you! It is maybe worth mentioning that most SA courses do NOT have buggies moving around the course offering snacks/beverages like you find on many/most modern US courses. To this extent I am not sure the grazing habits of the South African golfer are so different from his US counterparts - and it is indeed amusing to hear from an American about large portion sizes! though maybe it is true that their golf course meals are larger!

The outlier in this is definitely the UK where the halfway house is a rare institution - though Sunningdale would be an obvious and high profile exception.

Scott Warren

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 09:27:38 AM »
From the stories my FIL-to-be has told me of growing up playing the course, this is one I am really keen to play. Thanks for the review.

He tells me, and he is a keen golfer but not into GCA, that Durban reminds him of NSWGC. Does anyone who has played both care to comment? Is he on the money, or no?

He also says 20-30 years ago you needed to be very careful selecting a caddy. There were some who would work for 2 rand, but you would have to check your bag at the end as it was often one club, and perhaps many balls, lighter than it should be: they'd dump a club/balls in a designated place in the rough for a mate, hiding in the bush, to collect!

Philip Gawith

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 11:42:59 AM »
Scott, i think the NSW analogy is a bit of a stretch. NSW has much more undulation overall, and less sense of the dunes than DCC. Also, the vegetation and climate is very different - DCC is very humid and close with tropical vegetation - NSW is very different in this respect. NSW is a much more scenic course than DCC which is very close to the sea, but you see no more than the pictures show, and you don't hear it because it is the other side of a large highway.

Scott Warren

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009, 11:48:13 AM »
Thanks Philip.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2009, 08:02:23 PM »
I just read the Durban course profile in detail.  Yeah, it took me a little time to get around to it...but I guess its better late than never.

What a great review.  The timing is excellent as the thread concerning bias in course reviews which is currently going around talks about magazines not wanting to say anything negative about courses, but Ran says some negative things in this review.  HOWEVER, the way he says it is excellent.  He highlights some of the good points, but he clearly highlights the issues AND he gives clear suggestions about what needs to be done to fix the issues and he goes above and beyond the call of duty by clearly spelling out how to fix the issues.

Great work, Ran!!!

That profile should be required reading for any golf course critic who wants to establish themselves as a credible expert.  Analyze, critique, and give clear cut suggestions on how to improve flaws.  The last part might prove difficult for many, many critics...but I say if you are going to be a professional rater/critics you need to have the expertise required to actually be an expert!
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2009, 10:47:31 PM »
Great photos, the mounding is very unique.  I'm interested in seeing the "clunker holes" just to see how it compares to the other holes.

Hopefully David Kidd can bring these holes to life without destroying the current ambiance of the club.

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2009, 07:06:55 PM »
It's always great to read Ran's reviews especially of courses that you know. Strangely of all the time I spent down in Africa the two courses that I should have played and had a lot of interest in were Durban CC and Humewood. I did walk both but weren't available to play at the time.

The opening five holes at Durban would give any opening stretch a good match, the tropical vegetation, the closeness and awareness of the coast add a really defining character to the course, much different to the majority of the better courses in Africa. The 18th is one of the most interesting finishing holes as well.

It's interesting the customs that appeared in South African golf over the years especially having being isolated from a lot of the rest of the golfing world both from the physical distance and the older political regime. eg The halfway house custom, which has been mentioned already. I even played with a guy, while playing in his first professional tournament, who queried whether we were stopping at halfway.

The membership structure is slightly different, where players play a low subscription at the start of the year followed by a green fee every time they play. Nearly every course has an abundance of caddies with a majority taking one for nearly every round, doesn't happen too often in the more developed golfing nations anymore. (cheap labour and lots of it, with little opportunities)

Nearly every course operates a two tee start with morning and afternoon starts and with it getting dark around 7, even at the height of the summer, it would cut out the favoured summer's evening golf to just a few opportunities.

Even the way architecture has developed down there, instead of using Durban and Humewood as models, the Gary Player CC has become the model, big name professional golfer architect, difficult course, striking rather then finesse, no real thinking outside the box required either. I'd take Durban, Humewood over it any day of the week.

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back