News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Aussie Golf Architecture Mag
« on: November 04, 2009, 04:47:18 AM »
I haven't heard anything about Issue 11.  I suspect it has been out for a spell, but what are its contents?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Ally Mcintosh

Re: Aussie Golf Architecture Mag
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 05:07:44 AM »
Neither have I Sean... I presume there's a website?

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 05:13:34 AM »

Brian Phillips

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 05:16:36 AM »
Donal,

Sean knows all about the magazine and where to get it but your link does not tell him about the contents...or have I missed something on that page?
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 05:52:15 AM »
Brian:

Sorry about that. I think Geoff Shackelford listed the contributors on his web page week or two ago but I just can't find it now. I'll keep looking.

Dónal.

Sean_A

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 05:55:20 AM »
Donal,

Sean knows all about the magazine and where to get it but your link does not tell him about the contents...or have I missed something on that page?

Brian

This is true.  The previous two or three volumes were discussed on this site, but I have heard nothing about Volume 11. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 05:56:53 AM »
Here's the link, scroll down the page for contents added by Mike Clayton.

http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2008/11/23/golf-architecture-magazine-issue-11-is-out.html

Dónal.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009, 06:00:28 AM »
Isn't that issue 10 contents they have listed?... Whichever it is, I have had that issue for near on a year...

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2009, 06:10:57 AM »
Isn't that issue 10 contents they have listed?... Whichever it is, I have had that issue for near on a year...

I think there is some confusion on the website as Geoff originally made the announcement for issue 10 instead of issue 11. I understand Tom MacWood had a Bernard Darwin article in issue 10, so I think the contents at the link I gave are correct, and are for issue 11.

Dónal.

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2009, 06:13:40 AM »
I haven't heard anything about Issue 11.  I suspect it has been out for a spell, but what are its contents?

Ciao

I thought issue 11 came out, but issue 12 has been put on hold.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2009, 06:17:53 AM »

I think there is some confusion on the website as Geoff originally made the announcement for issue 10 instead of issue 11. I understand Tom MacWood had a Bernard Darwin article in issue 10, so I think the contents at the link I gave are correct, and are for issue 11.

Dónal.

In that case, it was about last Christmas I received it I think...

Sean_A

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2009, 06:23:56 AM »
Thanks all!  Order placed.

Ciao

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2009, 07:00:25 AM »
Sean
Issue 11 was published earlier this year. Issue 12 is on hold as we have not been able to get sufficient advertising support to make this issue viable due to the economic situation. When it will go ahead is undecided at this stage. Sorry!
Neil

Brian Phillips

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2009, 07:14:08 AM »
Neil,

May I suggest that a box of issues is brought to one of the days we are all in Australia so that we can buy back issues and issue 11 while we are down there?

Just a suggestion to help some issues.  I promise to buy at least one!
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2009, 07:23:02 AM »
What day are you heading Brian?

That was a great deal. I sorely wanted to attend but you know, there was only so much I could swing... She hasn't quite accepted the word "study" yet when it comes to golf...

Brian Phillips

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2009, 07:46:51 AM »
Ally,

It is a great deal, however, my bloody flight down is costing twice as much as the whole week down there.

I leave on Friday and back in Oslo at 06:45 on the 16th to then jump on a flight at 09:45 to Aberdeen to work on the Kingennie grading work with Graeme...I love my life!!   ;D

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2009, 08:36:24 AM »
Ally,

It is a great deal, however, my bloody flight down is costing twice as much as the whole week down there.

I leave on Friday and back in Oslo at 06:45 on the 16th to then jump on a flight at 09:45 to Aberdeen to work on the Kingennie grading work with Graeme...I love my life!!   ;D

Brian,

Remind me what you're doing at Kingennie? a new 18-hole course with Darren Clarke - Design & Construct?... Is this in addition to the 9 holes that you did there recently?.. Or is it a different owner / estate?

I have a very good friend who just purchased property on the estate...

Brian Phillips

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2009, 08:58:48 AM »
Team Niblick Ltd have the contract for the Design and Build of the Angus Championship golf course with Darren Clarke involved as the consultant approving the design.  Niblick Golf Design (Norway) have to get the grading plan work finished so that a 3D flyover video of the proposed golf course can be created with Darren's voiceover.

The video should be out by xmas.

Mark Alexander

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2009, 09:18:29 AM »
Neil,

I know you mentioned issue 12 is on hold, but I was wondering if you could provide me with some details about contributing both words and images.
Do you flatplan each issue and commission writers, or are the articles submitted ad hoc, so to speak?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2009, 09:29:49 AM »
GCAer Matt Davenport loaned me the first 8 issues to peruse at home.  Great magazine, great Mackenzie article in an early issue, it's probably the best GCA magazine I've seen.

Not that I've seen many.

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2009, 03:28:01 PM »
Brian
I think copies of issue 11 will be available when we get to Melbourne.

Mark
I'm not really sure where we are at re articles for the postponed next issue, but I think the new editor has already planned the article list for it. Occasionally i used to specifically 'commission' an article when I was editor but mostly the writers themselves submit their ideas to the editor. If you have an idea submit it to me and I can pass it on.
neil@golfstrategies.com.au

Bill
there are only two so its not a big field to be the best in!!

Richard Chamberlain

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2009, 03:54:23 PM »
Guys you're probably going to choke when I tell you this but we have run into a slight problem regarding old issues of the magazine.
The old issues were stored at one of the arkies offices and they recently had to move house. There was not enough room to accommodate them and the call went out to get rid of some of them before they were ..um...binned.

We had plenty of offers to take one or two be we literally had hundreds of them and wanted them moved in big numbers. After a couple of months of searching we could not find a buyer (for free). We still kept a supply of all of the issues that were availalbe.

I think we just went past D Day and I fear they may have gone. If there are any left I will make sure they get brought to melbourne meeting next week to take back home with some of you guys.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2009, 07:24:07 PM »
Bill
there are only two so its not a big field to be the best in!!

Well, Neil, it's the only pure GCA magazine I've seen - certainly can't include Links even when it was good - and everything was very well written, with good photos.  I really enjoyed the articles on Royal Melbourne and the time Mackenzie spent Down Under.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2009, 08:30:52 PM »
Isn't there a Euro group of GCAs that produce what I assume is the other mag referred to?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2009, 12:28:39 AM »
Richard,

What a shame. Are we still able to get our hands on issue #11?

Garland,

The European golf architecture magazine is not produced by the European Society of GCA's, and while good, is really a couple of steps behind the Australian magazine. The content of the former is more current, advertising is much more prevalent and the focus tends to be on architects who advertise in the magazine. Both are fine publications, and worth a read, but I would feel a large gap in my architecture library if I did not possess all of the Australian issues.

TK

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back