News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

DMoriarty

Re: Who deserves credit for Essex County?
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2009, 08:36:04 PM »
David
Its my fault too, I should know better and ignore him. He clearly had nothing to add to this thread other than trying to sabotage it.

I do the same thing.   It is hard to turn away when he so drastically distorts what has happened in the past.   At this point though I can't imagine that anyone takes anything he writes seriously, so we probably ought to know better than to humor him. 

As for the articles, where does the CBM and Hutchinson trip fit into the timeline of the articles?   Was Ross at all involved with what was going on at Essex before his trip abroad?    Maybe Ross was one of the experts who had guided the committee?  
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Tom MacWood

« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2009, 10:09:13 PM »
The first mention I've found of Ross is the spring of 1911 when he is carry out the changes. Hutchinson and Macdonald visited in the summer of 1910. I've found this article in Golf magazine January 1914.

TEPaul

« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2009, 07:53:51 AM »
Tom MacWood:

If you think post #45 (which is in response to your post #44) is polluting this thread and should be ignored I would have to say you don't seem much interested in acknowledging and discussing some of the most fundamental aspects of the architectural evolutions of American golf course architecture from the perspective of clubs or from the perspective of researchers/analysts involved in golf architectural evolutions. Ignoring it may not be as bad as aligning yourself on here with anything Moriarty says on these threads, since when it comes to some of us and our posts and opinions on here he seems to be in a state of constant outraged hysterics  ???, but it's pretty bad nonetheless.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 11:47:50 AM by TEPaul »

TEPaul

« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2009, 08:04:39 AM »
Hmmm:

The Essex County history book's George C. Caner seems like a pretty accomplished author (Essex County's history is not the only book he's written). I wonder if the Harrison K. Caner mentioned in a few of those old newspaper articles posted above as having to do with Essex County's golf course is his father or grandfather or some direct relation. It would seem to be more than coincidental and probably pretty likely since George C. Caner went to St Marks School in Southborough, Mass. (Class of '43).
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 08:07:07 AM by TEPaul »

Sean Leary

« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2009, 11:57:56 AM »
TE,

Did you know him?

;)

TEPaul

« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2009, 12:04:52 PM »
"TE,
Did you know him?"

Sean:

If by him you mean George C. Caner, the author of the apparently very good Essex County history book, I did not know him (actually I've never heard of him before) because he graduated from St Mark's School in Southborough Mass. exactly twenty years before I did. That would also make him about 85 years old today. I do wonder if he's still alive and a phone call to some of my friends at Essex County GC would probably produce the answer.

Do you think I should try to find out? If he was something like the grandson (or directly related to him somehow) of Harrison K. Caner mentioned a couple of times in those early articles that could be pretty interesting though as to what-all George C. Caner had or used in his research on the Essex County history book. It is very interesting how those types of families seem to keep a lot of memorabilia of all kinds---eg in my experiences it seems very common (and not just that; I'm beginning to find that some of these early prominent American families are even beginning to give massive family records to libraries and universities and such today. I think this may be the case with Leeds' family who was apparently related to Denny Boardman et al). Frankly, I wonder if George C. Caner got involved in writing the history of Essex County G.C. because he was a member or because one of his relatives was an important early member or perhaps some combination thereof.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 12:18:20 PM by TEPaul »

TEPaul

« Reply #56 on: November 09, 2009, 03:17:31 PM »
"TEP
Who actually owned the plans when you were given permission to use them?"

Tom MacWood:

First of all, that's a good question when we were given the permission to use them (for perhaps 4-5 years). It may even still be a good question if a few people wanted to push the point at even this time. Luckily, it seems the few people who would seem to be in some legal position to push that point no longer want to push the point provided those plans are actually protected and preserved long term and that may require a climate controlled atmosphere. As for who gave us permission to use them, Mike Hurzdan did, because he had them when we began to use them.

Secondly, Wayne Morrison had a lot more to do with those plans than I did and one reason was it was Wayne's idea to write a biography on Flynn in the first place. He just asked me to come in on it with him after he began. So how did Wayne come to know where most all the entire career drawing inventory of Flynn's plans was? My understanding is that he probably found out about it from Connie Lagermann (Flynn's daughter) or perhaps Bill Kittleman who at least got some on Merion before we found out about them. (When Flynn died at 55 in 1945 apparently Mrs Flynn gave all his plans to David Gordon's father William Gordon. (William and David were later a father and son design company).

The barn in Bucks County belongs to David Gordon, the son of William Gordon, Flynn's long time primary foreman. Wayne just called David Gordon and apparently Gordon told him at that point that all Flynn's career plans were in his barn in Buck's Co. Before that the only pereson apparently interested in any of them seemed to be Bill Kittleman who only wanted to know about the Merion plans. So essentially all those plans for just about all Flynn's courses and redesigns etc had probably been sitting in that barn for over 55 years completely unanalyzed by anyone as well as basically unprotected because they were in card-board boxes in a big old Pennsylvania barn. In conversations with Gordon, Wayne determined that Gordon had become very interested in preserving those plans and he had offered them to the USGA some years ago but they didn't want them at that time. In the course of those conversations it was determined that Mike Hurzdan had an excellent library and so at that point they were offered to him for preservation's sake. My understanding is that Wayne was instrumental in convincing Gordon to give the plans to Hurzdan because he figured his library and architectural collections in Columbus was so impressive. However, It has been our understanding with all for some years now that at some point all those career plans of Flynn's are headed for the USGA's Museum/Library and the new Arnold Palmer History Center at Far Hills that is brand new, very impressive and completely climate controlled for historic asset preservation. That is what we understood when we both brought them out to Columbus Ohio (returned them) with a member of the Executive Committee of the USGA. We also very much wanted Mike Hurzdan to join our effort in creating the USGA Architecture Archive. As you know, I also personally asked you a number of times to join that USGA Architecture Archive effort but each and every time you found some reason to decline. I find that very interesting indeed if you claim to be as interested in the furtherance of golf architectural understanding as you have constantly claimed on this website. The latter is just one of a number of reasons I frankly don't believe that is your real interest. At this point, and after a number of those offers and entreaties to you to get involved in architectural research with others, I think your primary interest is only to promote Tom MacWood.

"Whatever the case your Kittansett and Concord discoveries should be congratulated,"

Thank you. That's what happens with a golf course if you can show them for the first time that architectural drawings completely match the way their course was first built.

"......its too bad you completely missed the boat on Heartwellville."

Heartwellville was a different situation for us because that was before Flynn came to Merion and Philadelphia and there were no plans in those boxes of Flynn's career inventory for Heartwellville because he probably hadn't even begun to draw architectural plans at that point. The same is somewhat true to some degree with his very first courses in the early teens when he was still working in another capacity at Merion (they were not in those boxes in the barn in Buck's Co). However, we do not feel we missed the boat on Flynn and Heartwellville. Just because you have some different opinion on that does not really concern us because in our experiences with you on a few courses we have never believed or agreed with some of the things you maintain and we still don't. We don't think you made much of a case to convince anyone and we can't see that you will ever to do that with whatever you have claimed to date. What you said about Heartwellville probably isn't much more credible than what you've said about HH Barker routing or designing Merion East!  ;) At the very least it is sort of a laughable, highly speculative, and a highly exaggerated point and assumption.

"Were you aware C&W listed Kittansett as a Flynn design?"

Of course we were but our aim didn't have anything to do with C&W but to do with convincing Kittansett GC that Flynn designed the course not Hood; and that we did.

"Tell us more about Concord, I've never heard of it?"

It's outside Philadelphia and I already told you about it in that the club always thought Ross designed their course but we convinced them Flynn designed it by showing them his drawings for the original design which was how the course was originally built-----essentially just as we did with Kittansett.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 03:36:31 PM by TEPaul »

Sean Leary

« Reply #57 on: November 09, 2009, 03:22:58 PM »
"TE,
Did you know him?"

Sean:

If by him you mean George C. Caner, the author of the apparently very good Essex County history book, I did not know him (actually I've never heard of him before) because he graduated from St Mark's School in Southborough Mass. exactly twenty years before I did. That would also make him about 85 years old today. I do wonder if he's still alive and a phone call to some of my friends at Essex County GC would probably produce the answer.

Do you think I should try to find out? If he was something like the grandson (or directly related to him somehow) of Harrison K. Caner mentioned a couple of times in those early articles that could be pretty interesting though as to what-all George C. Caner had or used in his research on the Essex County history book. It is very interesting how those types of families seem to keep a lot of memorabilia of all kinds---eg in my experiences it seems very common (and not just that; I'm beginning to find that some of these early prominent American families are even beginning to give massive family records to libraries and universities and such today. I think this may be the case with Leeds' family who was apparently related to Denny Boardman et al). Frankly, I wonder if George C. Caner got involved in writing the history of Essex County G.C. because he was a member or because one of his relatives was an important early member or perhaps some combination thereof.

I realized that he is/was quite a bit older than you. Just giving you a hard time about your age... ;D

Brad Tufts

« Reply #58 on: November 09, 2009, 10:17:46 PM »
"The dates were changed to suit the golf committee of the Essex County Club, which is making many improvements to the links, the result of many experts and which are being carried out under the supervision of Donald J. Ross..." American Golfer 5/1911

Brad
Where do you read 'resulting in the engagement of Ross'? The sentence says the golf committee is making improvements the result of many experts. Why is it irresponsible to suggest perhaps those experts were Hutchinson and Macdonald? Wasn't Hutchinson, who was traveling with Macdonald, the most outspoken and famous critic of the course at the time? If not Hutchinson & Macdonald who do you think the many experts could be? By the way the club historian was the person who speculated about Travis, Dunn, & Leeds. I have found nothing to suggest they were ever involved, so you can scratch them if you'd like.

Are you saying American Golfer and the Boston Globe were gossip rags? What makes you say that, do you have some specific examples that would lead you to that conclusion?

In the month prior to the quote above American Golfer wrote:
"Perhaps it was at the Essex County Club, of Manchester that Mr. Hutchinson received the impression that the teeing ground placed so that a hill had to be carried were the tendency on American golf courses. As is well known, the original nine holes at the Essex County Club did not call for any hill climbing, but in order to get eighteen holes hilly country had to be used. The Essex County Club's course will be changed this season and some of the hill climbing will be avoided while one the new holes will rank with the best anywhere. the construction work will be superintended by Donald J. Ross, which means that it will be in the hand of the most experienced professional of golf courses in the country. But the Essex County Club as it is today has only three blind shots to the greens while from the teeing grounds five of the drives are blind. The Country Club's course at Brookline was spoken highly of by Mr. Hutchinson, but he thought that it was too short with not a sufficient number of holes calling for a full second shot to the green, not an alarming proportion. The Country Club's golf committee has plans for remedying Mr. Hutchinson's criticism in regard to the length of the course."

Do you think it is coincidence that Hutchinson criticized the blind shots and few months later the hill climbing is being removed? Didn't you tell us the club history said: "During this transition time, Horace Hutchinson visited with C. B. MacDonald to play the course, and remarked that the transitions were 'all the makings of a good thing.' H & M visited in the summer of 1910 and those changes were not implemented until the following year, and Ross was out of the country at the time of their visit. What do you make of that?

I was trying to clarify how I read the American Golfer piece.  I read it as this: (not quoting the article, this is my opinion of how it reads) saying that the club has heard from experts that they should make improvements, so they consult with Ross about improvements, and hire him to carry them out.  I do not picture Ross and the "experts" designing the course together.  I picture Ross and the ECC greens committee making the improvements, and perhaps some were based on things that several "experts" and members did not like.  I chalk this one up to semantics.

As for Hutchinson and MacDonald, I mention them only because the history mentions one singular visit where H said that improvements look to be coming along nicely.  They certainly could be two of the "experts."  But for one, the work had already started before they visited, as he talked about them ongoing.  I know nothing personally about H's importance as an ECC critic.  If he was, then great, but would a weekend's visit add up to an attribution?  My answer (even if he was a proven member of the illustrious "experts") is no in all interpretations.  

I think Travis and Dunn are interesting because they were playing tournaments at ECC semi-regularly.  Leeds is very interesting because he was a member.  H and M visited for a short time.  None of it is proveable beyond a doubt, outside of Ross.

I have no examples of the publications of the day being "gossip rags."  But, there are many examples in some of very articles you site that talk of "so-and-so is laying out the course" right next to the member tournament results and who is playing croquet that week.  My point is only that Mass. did not have 375 head professionals and many golf writers in 1899 like it does in 2009.  There were likely 10 or 20 experts, probably almost all of them from the old country.  My guess is that there were few golf correspondents for those publications, and it is possible that one source might "have all the answers."  Again, all of this is conjecture.  I just don't look at your sources as any more concrete than any others.

I do not make the leap from Hutchinson's blind shot comments to the reconstruction of holes at ECC.  I would think the elimination of blind shots to be the goal of many renovations in that time period.  Ross being out of the country means little, as plans no doubt existed so the work would not stop as he pursued other projects.  Again, both yours and my interpretations are equally unprovable.  Both of our opinions no doubt add to the discussion, which is why we are here, in case that is forgotten.  I'm not privy to the wealth of information that you have researched, but I can play the devil's advocate just as you or anyone else is able.  
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 10:30:26 PM by Brad Tufts »
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Brad Tufts

« Reply #59 on: November 09, 2009, 10:21:37 PM »
Regarding the reliability of club histories vs contemporaneous sources I'll take the contemporaneous sources for obvious reasons. Just based on the limited excerpts you have given us that history has a number of glaring mistakes and/or omissions.

Again, while some things are plainly incorrect, the club history is still a valuable resource, just like your research Tom.

It is theoretically possible for any source to have inaccuracies.

TEPaul

« Reply #60 on: November 09, 2009, 10:23:18 PM »
A very wise and considered post (#58) Brad Tufts even if I suspect you give MacWood too much credit as some at first did with his interpretations and assumptions of architectural evolutionary facts and history to do with Pine Valley or Merion or Myopia!

It's rarely if ever mentioned on here but the ultimate question is or is going to be what any of these clubs and their people think of any of these things on here we speak of particularly those things that they become familiar with and interest them about their architectural histories.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 10:30:50 PM by TEPaul »

Brad Tufts

« Reply #61 on: November 09, 2009, 10:29:04 PM »
"TE,
Did you know him?"

Sean:

I would guess George Caner is Harrison Caner's grandson, and all were members, as GCC's picture is in the book winning a tourney or two.

Also, point of order TEP....definately Essex County Club.  The "G" for "golf" only comes into play in the NJ course/club.

TEPaul

« Reply #62 on: November 09, 2009, 10:41:42 PM »
 "The "G" for "golf" only comes into play in the NJ course/club."

Excellent point Mr Tufts which by analogy fairly scotches Tom MacWood's preposterous question (hence point ;) ) of how Mr Appelton of the Myopia Hunt Club who at the time of the original laying out of the first Myopia nine holes in the spring of 1894 was the master of the fox hounds of the Myopia Hunt Club at the same time he and two other of his clubmates laid out that original nine in the spring of 1894 before Willie Campbell even first arrived in America from Scotland. For some reason that self proclaimed expert golf architecture researcher/writer, Tom MacWood, overlooked the fact that Appleton had at least six holes on his own farm BEFORE he laid out the original nine hole of Myopia Hunt Club in 1894 with two others of his friends! Or alternatively MacWood is apparently not aware that some people can have multiple interests or do two or more things quite well at the same time :)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 10:43:16 PM by TEPaul »

Tom MacWood

« Reply #63 on: November 09, 2009, 11:20:47 PM »

I was trying to clarify how I read the American Golfer piece.  I read it as this: (not quoting the article, this is my opinion of how it reads) saying that the club has heard from experts that they should make improvements, so they consult with Ross about improvements, and hire him to carry them out.  I do not picture Ross and the "experts" designing the course together.  I picture Ross and the ECC greens committee making the improvements, and perhaps some were based on things that several "experts" and members did not like.  I chalk this one up to semantics.

As for Hutchinson and MacDonald, I mention them only because the history mentions one singular visit where H said that improvements look to be coming along nicely.  They certainly could be two of the "experts."  But for one, the work had already started before they visited, as he talked about them ongoing.  I know nothing personally about H's importance as an ECC critic.  If he was, then great, but would a weekend's visit add up to an attribution?  My answer (even if he was a proven member of the illustrious "experts") is no in all interpretations.  

I think Travis and Dunn are interesting because they were playing tournaments at ECC semi-regularly.  Leeds is very interesting because he was a member.  H and M visited for a short time.  None of it is proveable beyond a doubt, outside of Ross.

I have no examples of the publications of the day being "gossip rags."  But, there are many examples in some of very articles you site that talk of "so-and-so is laying out the course" right next to the member tournament results and who is playing croquet that week.  My point is only that Mass. did not have 375 head professionals and many golf writers in 1899 like it does in 2009.  There were likely 10 or 20 experts, probably almost all of them from the old country.  My guess is that there were few golf correspondents for those publications, and it is possible that one source might "have all the answers."  Again, all of this is conjecture.  I just don't look at your sources as any more concrete than any others.

I do not make the leap from Hutchinson's blind shot comments to the reconstruction of holes at ECC.  I would think the elimination of blind shots to be the goal of many renovations in that time period.  Ross being out of the country means little, as plans no doubt existed so the work would not stop as he pursued other projects.  Again, both yours and my interpretations are equally unprovable.  Both of our opinions no doubt add to the discussion, which is why we are here, in case that is forgotten.  I'm not privy to the wealth of information that you have researched, but I can play the devil's advocate just as you or anyone else is able.  

Brad
You did more than clarify how you read the piece...I believe you used the word irresponsible. Hutchinson and Macdonald are not your run of the mill experts, which is why Hutchinson's comments drew so much attention. History has shown us the weight of the visitor is often more important than the length of the visit (see Darwin, Vardon & Colt). The Donald Ross of the 1910-11 was not the Donald Ross of 1917 or 1923 or 1926. Another point worth noting Brookline and Essex County have very close ties and have had very close ties from the beginning, the fact that Brookline altered their course due in part to Hutchinson's critique makes a similar move by Essex more than possible.

I've not given attribution to anyone, but only tried to show the history of ECC is much more complicated (and interesting IMO) than what the history portraits.

PS: The Travis Society claims Travis & Dunn were involved in 1908. I'm not sure what to make of that.

Tom MacWood

« Reply #64 on: November 10, 2009, 07:35:33 AM »

Today's golf course was designed by Ross.

Brad
I agree Ross serves a great deal of credit for ECC, but based on everything uncovered on this thread don't you think that is an overly simplistic conclusion? It ignores the complicated history of the golf course's evolution, and the involvement of a number of important figures in that evolution. There are still a lot of unanswered questions.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #65 on: November 10, 2009, 01:14:51 PM »

Today's golf course was designed by Ross.

Brad
I agree Ross serves a great deal of credit for ECC, but based on everything uncovered on this thread don't you think that is an overly simplistic conclusion? It ignores the complicated history of the golf course's evolution, and the involvement of a number of important figures in that evolution. There are still a lot of unanswered questions.

Sure, I can agree that the history of ECC's golf course is an interesting one, but the influence of other individuals besides Ross is not quantifiable.  I would certainly be interested in any and all discussions of how the course came into being.

My only issue is that every golf course cannot have 20 designers.  There has to be a line drawn somewhere.

We don't give design credit to the owners, skilled amateurs, tour professionals (maybe an exception), early players,  and golf committees when a club is being planned, formed, and built.  We give credit to the professional architects.

As for the 1890-1900 time frame, I can see the above line being blurred, as "experts" were jack-of-all-trades golf professionals.  I think by the time Ross became a practicing architect, there was enough golf and interest in golf in America that the lines were drawn pretty strongly between several professions.  But, that is speculation too, as Skip Wogan is an exception (to bring us full circle!).

Tom MacWood

« Reply #66 on: November 10, 2009, 01:18:19 PM »
Brad
Speaking of quantifying, what changes did Ross make and when did he make them?

Mike Cirba

Re: Who deserves credit for Essex County? New
« Reply #67 on: January 13, 2010, 10:10:34 AM »
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 10:27:27 AM by Mike Cirba »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back