News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Warren

Re: A Year In The Life
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2009, 06:30:31 AM »
Cheers Andrew.

In fact I owe a great deal of this to you. You may not recall, but it was your dissection of Penrith the day we played there together in October 2007 (when my journos got locked out of the office and I was "at a medical appointment" and couldn't come and let them in ;D) that got the GCA juices flowing. I believe it was the same day you mentioned GCA.com to me and suggested I take a look...

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2009, 06:38:30 AM »
Cheers Andrew.

In fact I owe a great deal of this to you. You may not recall, but it was your dissection of Penrith the day we played there together in October 2007 (when my journos got locked out of the office and I was "at a medical appointment" and couldn't come and let them in ;D) that got the GCA juices flowing. I believe it was the same day you mentioned GCA.com to me and suggested I take a look...
I recall everything. You were wearing a pink shirt.

It was also the same day you took $50 from me  :-\

Scott Warren

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2009, 06:42:14 AM »
I was?! Wow. You're good!

I did indeed take $50!! And you didn't walk onto any tees without a club or a ball that day, either! ;D

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2009, 06:53:20 AM »
And you didn't walk onto any tees without a club or a ball that day, either! ;D
Yes, the practicalities of life aren’t really my forte. Come from a life of never having a real job.

When you get back we’ll spend a week in Melbourne.

So where did you say you were going to join up when you get back. Botany wasn’t it?

Scott Warren

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2009, 07:05:16 AM »
Yeah, it's just a tough call. Botany and Randwick are at the forefront, but then you realise you're completely overlooking the likes of Marrickville and Bardwell Valley. I'll make my mind up soon!

Giles Payne

« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2009, 07:06:12 AM »
Scott

Great post - you are very welcome to come up to Huntercombe to get your revenge on me - just let me know when you want to do it. We my be able to get Conrad out as well.

Giles

Bill_McBride

« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2009, 09:31:19 AM »
Scott

Great post - you are very welcome to come up to Huntercombe to get your revenge on me - just let me know when you want to do it. We my be able to get Conrad out as well.

Giles

Just what you need, Scott, a match v Conrad and Giles.  I suggest you arrange for Philip to be your partner as soon as possible!  ;D

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2009, 11:07:56 AM »
Scott -
from wikipedia
Following World War II, a large transient population of Australians and New Zealanders stayed in Earls Court, leading to Earl's Court Road being known for several decades as "Kangaroo Alley".[5] It was at the time one of the cheapest areas close to central London, and up until the 1990s remained a somewhat down-at-heel district compared to its more upmarket neighbours to the North and East. Today, while there are still significant numbers of students or other people on temporary visas, many of the Australians and New Zealanders appear to have moved on to now-cheaper areas further North and West. The name "Kangaroo Alley" lingers on in the usage of older ex-patriate Australians and Australian visitors, as does the alternate nickname "Kangaroo Court".[6]

The change in the area's population is largely owed to rocketing property prices and the continued gentrification of the area. This can be seen in the obvious divide between the eastern and western areas of Earls Court.
Following WWII it was in fact Polish immigrants that settled in Earls Court leading to it being dubbed 'The Polish Corridor'. It wasn't until the late sixties that the Antipodean travellers began to use Earls Court as a UK hub. Thus 'Kangaroo Valley'.

Peter,

I am older than Wikipedia and trust me, no self respecting Australian would use "Alley" or "Court" when a descriptive word such as 'Gulch', was a native description available to them.

Bob

TEPaul

« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2009, 11:37:25 AM »
"I think GCA has become the Freemasonary of Golf, a fellow brother anywhere in the world."

Bob Huntley:

What a cool statement!

I must admit I've never completely figured out them-thar Freemasons, or at least their accumulated history. Some say they secretly run the world or the Western World or did. If we are part of the Freemasonry of Golf because of our burning interest in GCA do you think that means we can secretly run the world of Golf one of these days?  ;)

Kalen Braley

« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2009, 11:39:12 AM »
If GCA.com has become a free-mason type group....then we're going to need some secret handshakes to use at events so we know we aren't being infiltrated!!   ;D

Scott Warren

« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2009, 11:47:02 AM »
Only one problem with all that - to join the freemasons do you just email the head freemason and ask to be added?! ;D

TEPaul

« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2009, 11:53:49 AM »
If we are going to be GCA Freemasons, I think we will also need something along the lines of Francis Dashwood's, 5th Lord of the Despencer, Hellfire Club, complete with underground tunnels and meeting rooms on a massive country estate where we can discuss things of ultimate importance to architecture and golf while we dally around with girls of the evening in our underground cave as Dashwood and his buddies of common Freemasonry minds did, including the unparalleled Benjamin Franklin during his variety time in England.

TEPaul

« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2009, 12:00:14 PM »
Scott:

No, email is not exactly the way to join. It's far more secretive and select than that. One of the existing cells of GCA Free-Masonry is actually the so-called "Philadelphia Syndrome Society." Their clubhouse or den happens to be in the tunnels under Merion East GC. To become a part of it there's actually an incredibly rigorous initiation and I mean a very physically rigorous initiation. For instance, if the likes of Moriarty or MacWood tried to join the "Philadelphia Syndrome Society" the chances are a lot better than not that the incredibly rigorous physical initiation into the Philadelphia Syndrome Society would kill them first.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2009, 12:04:09 PM »
If we are going to be GCA Freemasons, I think we will also need something along the lines of Francis Dashwood's, 5th Lord of the Despencer, Hellfire Club, complete with underground tunnels and meeting rooms on a massive country estate where we can discuss things of ultimate importance to architecture and golf while we dally around with girls of the evening in our underground cave as Dashwood and his buddies of common Freemasonry minds did, including the unparalleled Benjamin Franklin during his variety time in England.

Is that "things of ultimate importance" or "thongs of ultimate importance?"

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2009, 12:20:40 PM »
Tom,

I don't know if you have been to West Wycombe Park, but I remember as a youth walking around the place thinking I would loved to have been a part of the Dashwood shenanigans.

There is a very comprehensive report on the whole house and family in Wikipedia.

Bob

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2009, 03:48:41 PM »
Gentlemen please, I'm shocked, shocked ;)

I'm lucky to have played a no of rounds with Scott and the only thing he's more enthusiastic about than golf is his (reputedly) lovely girlfriend and how compatible the trip is proving them to be.  Indeed he left BUDA early to get back to look after her because she was poorly.  Scott I do hope you didn't tell her you were starting this thread. ;D

This winter we ought to see if we can get to play some of the southern Surrey courses, Liphook, Blackmoor, Hankley etc. It’s just a short diversion to pick you up and head down the A3.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 03:51:03 PM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Scott Warren

« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2009, 03:56:17 PM »
That would be great, Tony. Just say the word!

Indeed the one thing greater than golf is my lovely lady! I'm a lucky fella!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 04:00:02 PM by Scott Warren »

Jordan Wall

« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2009, 05:04:32 PM »
Scott,

Those pictures are awesome.  Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
Jordan

Dan Boerger

« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2009, 05:12:24 PM »
Scott - Thanks for sharing ... It's been said before but I'll say it again ... the concentration of courses in the London area simply stand above all other areas I've ever experienced. I go over there just about every year and my host is a member of Betchwork Park, a course that didn't immediately impress but has really grown on me.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2009, 07:23:11 PM »
Scott

Not a bad entree that first year - looking forward to hearing what you think of the main course  ;)

Bob Huntley's take on GCA was spot on - well said Sir !!

James Boon

« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2009, 04:00:34 AM »
Scott,

Great thread! Glad you enjoyed Painswick, and though we keep saying it, we must sort out something at Burnham & Berrow for next year! Also, if you do find yourself heading north of Watford for some golf then I'm sure I could sort something out here also. And I trust you will be joining us at Buda?

I suppose I'll have to start practicing the secret handshake...

Cheers,

James

2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2009, 06:24:24 AM »
Scott

I'd love to join you (and Tony) for a couple of heathland rounds, if the opportunity arises.

Our office is in Sunningdale and as both courses lie on common land you are more than welcome to wander about them at your leisure.  You're very welcome to drop by our office and see what golf design is about and I'd be happy to join you for a stroll around Sunningdale.  I know a guy who is very highly regarded at the club and will be able to sign you on.  I can have a word on your behalf if you would like.

For now, I'm signing off to head down to your homeland with a fair chunk of the rest of the world's golf architects and play some golf with the sun on my back.

Cheers

Robin
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; JCB, Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Francisco

Scott Warren

« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2009, 06:31:59 AM »
I'd love that, Robin. I'll be in touch after you return.

Enjoy Australia you lucky bugger. Sydney is a great place and NSWGC is one of those places that makes me get butterflies. Enjoy the walk over the hill on #5!

Have a safe trip and don't let Richard Chamberlain lead you astray!

Matt Day

« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2009, 07:29:04 AM »
I'd love that, Robin. I'll be in touch after you return.

Enjoy Australia you lucky bugger. Sydney is a great place and NSWGC is one of those places that makes me get butterflies. Enjoy the walk over the hill on #5!

Have a safe trip and don't let Richard Chamberlain lead you astray!

Chamberlains a pussy...he'll be in bed by 10pm with an excuse about having to change his shoes

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back