News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Warren

A Year In The Life
« on: November 03, 2009, 01:28:49 PM »
It's 12 months ago today that I landed in London to start a two-year stint living and working abroad.

I remember particularly clearly a conversation I had with my girlfriend as we packed for the trip, placing my golf bag next to our suitcases and telling her: "I'll be lucky if I get to play once a month or so just through the summer, but I can take them over for free, so I might as well..."

A year later the tally stands at 44 rounds of golf on 27 courses in 4 countries. I think it's fair to say I have overachieved! ;D

Every Aussie who arrives in London for the two-year working holiday that is almost a rite of passage if you're from Down Under has their own way of sampling the culture. Whether it's joining a cricket or rugby team, hitting the pubs and clubs, frequenting the theatre... For me it has been through golf, and the experience has been eye-opening.

My first game in the UK was on a cold December morning when, 37 days after my last game back home (a drought I hope never to repeat...), I decided I could wait no longer and ventured out to Malden Golf Club for a hit. It was five degrees and I joined three members in the 70s who seemed not to stop walking for more than 10 seconds to hit the ball before they were off again - the swift speed with which the English move around the golf course was amazing, and has been a constant of almost every course I have visited. After nine holes, the trio told me it was a crime not to stop, so we headed into "the hut".

What followed seems to be standard practice for UK clubs: 1. The hut is stocked with more booze than the main bar, and the bloke pouring has little regard for a "standard drink", often overpouring by almost a whole drink. 2. The bloke working the hut takes the piss out of all who enter his domain, with no exceptions. I shit you not: my first hut experience that morning featured the weathered man doling out the booze joking to one of my playing partners, whose wife had passed away a month earlier that he must have bored her to death re-telling ad nauseum the story of the medal he'd won the previous summer! Brilliant!

The fast play, constant presence of a stiff drink to keep you warm and the mateship I first saw that morning combine to sum up UK golf to me.

I didn't play again until February, when I checked out Mitcham Golf Club while there was still snow on a few fairways from the massive dump London received earlier that month! The enthusiasm was immense!

Within a couple of weeks of that game I was being hosted by Mark Chaplin at Deal and just a week after that I was a member of RCP. I can't thank Mark enough for his generosity, in arranging that and since. I won't go into details, but I owe him a great deal for enriching my time over here - though I do feel I pay him back just a little bit every time we walk onto the 1st tee and he takes FIVE SHOTS off me, then proceeds to beat me with more than a few holes to spare while commenting how lucky he's been to find some form (aka "doing a Giles Payne"!! ;))

As much as I have enjoyed discovering new courses, and have ventured to more than a few on my own (most recently Wimbledon Common today), the best days have been with other GCAers: that first day at Deal with Mark; Jamie Barber being generous enough to play all 27 with me at Prince's in February when my enthusiasm kept me warm in short sleeves!; Richard Pennell giving me a fantstic historical tour of NZGC before letting me loose on the course; an unforgettable day discovering Painswick with Sean Arble, Robin Hiseman and James Boon (after which I got far too drunk for my own good while listening to the three school me on golf architecture and building architecture; fun visits to Canterbury and West Sussex with the always adventurous Tony Muldoon; the Buda Cup with too many great GCAers to list them all. It was only a pity I couldn't manage a game with everyone (if I'd got Ulrich and his 17 handicap as my partner I might have secured more than 1.5pts for RoW!).

All told, I am spectacularly fortunate to have met the golfers I have through GCA and other networks. The English have their faults - don't get this country boy started on how generally rude and impersonal Londoners are! - but in my experience the stereotypes of the Brits as generous, unfailingly polite, great for a laugh and even better for a pint are ones that ring true with few exceptions.

So anyway, congratulations to those who have managed to read this far. I have undoubtedly rambled, but I wanted to be sure to mention how grateful I am for the experiences I've been afforded. The hands of friendship that have been extended my way through GCA are hopefully what shines through about this group much more than any of the negativity in the threads. Thankyou one and all.

Looking forward to the 12 months I have left before returning home to the golf architecture purgatory they call Sydney, Australia, I am even more focused on seeing great golf courses. My goal is 60. Wish me luck!

My 10 favourite golf pictures of my first year in the UK

February: snow on the fairway at Mitcham - how that's enthusiasm!

March: The first day of spring at a very wintery-looking Addington.

April: the craziest wind I have ever played golf in bends the flagstick on the 2nd at Deal.

June: the peaceful 14th at New Zealand, truly heaven on earth.

June: Atop Painswick beacon with Robin, Sean and James.

July: a perfect afternoon at North Berwick.

July: my final putt falls at The Old Course.

August: the beauty of Woking.

September: Walton Heath (Old) - "Only an idiot would hit at that pin", right Mark?!

October: The 12th at The European - great hole in an awesome spot.

Courses played: Malden, Mitcham, Deal, Prince's, The Addington, Royal Zoute, Leatherhead, Trevose, St Enodoc, Central London, Painswick, New Zealand, Canterbury, North Berwick (West), The Old Course, Woking, Traditions, Batchworth Park, Royal Wimbledon, West Sussex, Walton Heath (Old), Rye, Royal St George's, County Louth, The European, Druids Glen, Wimbledon Common.

Jud_T

Re: A Year In The Life
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 01:33:36 PM »
scott- great post! you lucky dog! what other courses are on your wish list for the remaining year? Don't miss Royal Worlington while your're in the hood....
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Mark Woodger

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 01:40:05 PM »
a great story Scott and good luck with the rest of your time in England.

Norbert P

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 01:48:04 PM »
 Great story.  Please follow up for us vicarious lifestylers.                                                             (I stole your Woking picture)
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 01:58:38 PM »
Scott,

A right of passage for Australians way back when, was to camp down in 'Kangaroo Gulch'. Did you have a billet sorted out before leaving Oz?

I think GCA has become the Freemasonary of Golf, a fellow brother anywhere in the world.

Bob

Norbert P

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 02:17:09 PM »

I think GCA has become the Freemasonary of Golf, a fellow brother anywhere in the world.

Bob

As succinct and as wise a statement as I've ever read here.                                                                                   
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 02:21:23 PM »

Bob

As succinct and as wise a statement as I've ever read here.                                                                                   

I always wonder if Ran had any idea what the international impact of GCA.com might eventually become.

Nice story, Scott, enjoy it while you can!

Jim Colton

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 02:27:45 PM »
Scott,

Nice work.  My wife and I did a six-month work-stint in London about 9 years ago (pre-kids) and loved every minute of it.  I would go back and do it again in the heartbeat.  We did more 'normal' travel than golf travel, but the first thing we did after arriving in London was hop on a plane to Edinburgh then on to St. Andrews.  Your pic of the 18th on the Old Course reminds me of the 'golf clap' a bunch of onlookers gave my wife after she got up-and-down from the Valley of Sin for par.  Good times.

Jim

Scott Warren

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2009, 02:40:38 PM »
Cheers guys.

Bob: I have never heard of Kangaroo Gulch. I just googled it and got a lake in Colorado as the result. Care to set me straight? We left Oz with only a five-night hotel booking, the cash in our pockets and some appointments to view rental properties. We spent the first few weeks here living all around London in short-stay accommodation while we waited to be approved for the first flat we viewed the day we arrived, which took too long, but I was lucky to land a job in the second week we were here (incidentally, the paper is in the process of going out of business...). I/we have been exceptionally lucky in every way.

Jim: It has been great, my gripes with London aside! The travel has been great too - have been to Ireland and France a couple of times each, Belgium, Austria, Luxembourg, Germany, Finland and Russia, as well as a few places around England. We came here with travel as our #1 priority, and we've managed to live cheaply and spend most of our cash on seeing new sights.

Your wife did better than I on 18 at TOC - I knocked my drive 100m short and eventually made a five, and only thanks to that six-footer dropping!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 02:49:50 PM by Scott Warren »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2009, 02:40:43 PM »
I'd love to do this as well once the kids are grown and have flown the nest.

Sounds like it'd be a blast to live over there for a few years and take it all in.

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2009, 02:43:44 PM »
Scott,

I enjoyed meeting you at Buda '09 and wish we could have had a game together. One of these days!

Your post and the responses hit home with me in that I have been lucky enough to travel to a Buda and two KPs and have made several fine friends, which is difficult for me, being a lawyer. Just the simple getting together to golf, drink and eat with people of common interest from all over the world is so special.

If, on your North American trip next fall, you have time to get up to the Vancouver area, I would be pleased to show you around.

Good luck and keep posting about your adventures in England!

Bob J

Scott Warren

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2009, 03:40:33 PM »
scott- great post! you lucky dog! what other courses are on your wish list for the remaining year? Don't miss Royal Worlington while your're in the hood....

Worlington is one I hope to see. I keep trying to work out how I could fit it into a long weekend with Woodhall Spa, Hunstanton and Brancaster...

The two big raids I really want to do on this trip are Northern Ireland (County Down, Portrush, Portstewart and Castlerock) and NE Scotland (Royal Aberdeen, Murcar, Cruden Bay and hopefully Carnoustie.

Other than that, just off the top of my head, the ones I'm really keen to see are Porthcawl and Pennard at Buda 2010, Burnham & Berrow, Saunton East & West, Beau Desert, Littlestone, Sunningdale Old & New, Swinley Forest, Hankley Common, Alwoodley, Ganton, Birkdale, Hoylake, Hillside and Silloth.

That's what, 29 courses? I doubt I'll see all of the above, but we'll see.

There are Scottish courses not named above that I'd love to see, but I don't see myself making more than one trip past Hadrians Wall in the next year, so I'll have to come back for them!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 03:43:21 PM by Scott Warren »

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2009, 04:04:48 PM »
I'll only play half a dozen times dear!!

Scott thanks for the kind words, like most Englishmen I have an internal programme that clicks into action when presented with a competitive Aussie, that's where the "Giles Payne" comes from.

As I've said before when we settle down to a bottle of Grange on the patio of NSWGC we'll be even amigo!
Cave Nil Vino

John Mayhugh

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2009, 06:30:50 PM »
Scott,
Thanks for the best post I've read this year.  I didn't get the chance to play with you during Buda this year, but enjoyed meeting you and know we have a few rounds together coming up one of these days.

Bob Huntley,
I cannot imagine a better description than "the Freemasonry of Golf."  Thanks for that. 

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2009, 06:57:43 PM »
Scott,

if you're going out to the West Country please don't miss St. Enodoc. I know it's way down south, but you can do it from Saunton.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Matt Day

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2009, 07:16:31 PM »
Scott
did the newspaper go broke because one of their journalists was too busy playing golf?

David_Elvins

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2009, 07:56:42 PM »
Scott
did the newspaper go broke because one of their journalists was too busy playing golf?
might have been the front page articles on the true architect of Merion. 
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2009, 08:10:59 PM »

Scott,

One of the wonderful things about this site is enjoying shared experiences. A great thread Scott. Hope to see you in the US. More power to you,

Anthony

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2009, 08:12:35 PM »
Scott -
from wikipedia
Following World War II, a large transient population of Australians and New Zealanders stayed in Earls Court, leading to Earl's Court Road being known for several decades as "Kangaroo Alley".[5] It was at the time one of the cheapest areas close to central London, and up until the 1990s remained a somewhat down-at-heel district compared to its more upmarket neighbours to the North and East. Today, while there are still significant numbers of students or other people on temporary visas, many of the Australians and New Zealanders appear to have moved on to now-cheaper areas further North and West. The name "Kangaroo Alley" lingers on in the usage of older ex-patriate Australians and Australian visitors, as does the alternate nickname "Kangaroo Court".[6]

The change in the area's population is largely owed to rocketing property prices and the continued gentrification of the area. This can be seen in the obvious divide between the eastern and western areas of Earls Court.

Following WWII it was in fact Polish immigrants that settled in Earls Court leading to it being dubbed 'The Polish Corridor'. It wasn't until the late sixties that the Antipodean travellers began to use Earls Court as a UK hub. Thus 'Kangaroo Valley'.

Jud_T

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2009, 08:14:58 PM »
scott-

i assume you can't possibly be considering going to Carnoustie without sneaking out on the Old Course 45 minutes away....
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Scott Warren

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2009, 01:15:03 AM »
Cheers Anthony and John.

Thanks for the Wiki link Pete. The Ausie/Kiwi/South African contingent seems to have shifted south of the river to the Wimbledon/Clapham neck of the woods. It's funny we all move so far away to experience something different, then congreagate in the same suburbs, though to my credit I am yet to drink in one of those horrific "Walkabout" pubs!

Scott,

if you're going out to the West Country please don't miss St. Enodoc. I know it's way down south, but you can do it from Saunton.

Ulrich

I played St Enodoc in May. I'd love to go back because I didn't fall truly, madly and deeply for it the first time, "but knowing how way leads onto way, I doubt if I shall ever go back".

There is a list of all the courses I've played at the foot of the opening post.

Scott

;D

scott-

i assume you can't possibly be considering going to Carnoustie without sneaking out on the Old Course 45 minutes away....

Well yes and no. I'd love to play it gain, but I feel that two plays won't give me much more of an insight than one.  If I was going to head back to really study it, I'd have to just camp there for a week, I reckon, and with so much else to see I couldn't justify it (plus, my missus has now spent four hours in St Andrews and assures me there is no great need for her to return!).
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 06:23:39 AM by Scott Warren »

Cristian

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2009, 02:25:19 AM »
44? Seems I have read at least 44 course reviews already from you in the past year!

Be sure for next year to include the Netherlands on your wish list (Haagsche, Pan, Kennemer, Noordwijk, Eindhoven).

I would be happy to show you around and organise tee-times.

What is the top 5 courses that surprised you most positively (as in better than you thought)?

Scott Warren

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2009, 03:37:18 AM »
Scott
might have been the front page articles on the true architect of Merion. 

Unless Lily Allen assisted David and Victoria Beckham with the routing, before Katie Price and Peter Andre were called in (pre-messy divorce, obviously) to do the bunkering, my paper would never have gone for it ;D But if they knew all the juicy scandal involved... who knows?!

44? Seems I have read at least 44 course reviews already from you in the past year!

Be sure for next year to include the Netherlands on your wish list (Haagsche, Pan, Kennemer, Noordwijk, Eindhoven).

I would be happy to show you around and organise tee-times.

What is the top 5 courses that surprised you most positively (as in better than you thought)?

Thnaks Cristian, only 27 courses this year (44 rounds of golf), in fact. It seems like more! Lifetime tally is 112.

Thanks for your ideas on a Low Counties jaunt when I emailed you a few months back. I just wish the trip had come off. There is a decent Netherlands and France contingent on my "50 courses to play before I die" (list on my blog), so I will be there eventually!

5 biggest surprises?
1 North Berwick - even though I had been told great things, it outshone all expectations (there is a longer story, which I might add later).
2 Royal St George's - the one course (maybe Walton Heath also qualifies) that, to me, did not have a weak hole.
3 Deal - the landscape on 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 14, 15, 16 and 17.
4 Painswick - have more fun with your pants on, I challenge you!
5 The Addington - so many awesome shots, even if a few holes are a bit ho-hum.

Because I am bored at work, here are a few other top 5s.

5 best bunkers
1 6th hole, The Addington
2 6th hole, St Enodoc
3 4th hole, St George's
4 16th hole (right), Royal Zoute
5 17th hole, North Berwick

5 best green complexes
1 3rd hole, Deal
2 12th hole, The Old Course
3 6th hole, West Sussex
4 10th hole, St George's
5 3rd hole, Woking

5 best par 3s
1 3rd hole, St George's
2 14th hole, Deal
3 3rd hole, Trevose
4 2nd hole, Canterbury
5 17th hole, The Addington

5 best par 4s
1 4th hole, St George's
2 6th hole, Deal
3 3rd hole, Woking
4 13th hole, West Sussex
5 12th hole, The Old Course

5 best par 5s
1 16th hole, Deal
2 1st hole, St Enodoc
3 4th hole, Trevose
4 9th hole, North Berwick (West)
5 5th hole, Royal Zoute

Jamie Barber

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2009, 04:28:26 AM »
PM sent about possible Woodhall Spa date

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2009, 06:21:31 AM »
Great stuff, Scott.

Let me to continue to encourage you to see & play as much as you can.

Maybe you’ll be back there one day, maybe you won’t; so make the most of it now.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back