News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Gordon Irvine

11th Hole Askernish
« on: November 01, 2009, 02:11:28 PM »
This hole came about because we were sure that the coastline at Askernish in places has been lost to the sea. When I got up into this area of the course I was sure I was looking for a par 4 but due to reduction of the dune strip there was a strong chance that the old green was lost to the sea. I did not want to change the layout of what we had found so I found a green site staying with the strict ethos of very limited earth moving and made the hole a par 3. 190 yards from the Tee in the pic or 150 yards from an alternate Tee running parallel to the coast.

Jim_Kennedy

Re: 11th Hole Askernish
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 03:22:08 PM »
Gordon,
I don't see the cart path, you did a wonderful job of hiding it.

What a beautiful setting for such an uncluttered hole.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 03:29:26 PM »
It's the most glorious, beautiful hole. I only worry that it's just a bit too damned long and difficult, given that the wind comes pretty much straight from that direction most of the time.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Chuck Brown

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 03:36:45 PM »
Gorgeous!  I think Old Tom would be very pleased.

Is it a bunkerless one-shotter?  Is front-left a bunker?  Is that a bunker off to the right?  Although multiple tee locations were probably not thought of much in the day of Old Tom,  I think this is an ideal setting for the choice of a 150-yard or 190-yard play.

Gordon Irvine

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 03:52:08 PM »
This shows the 11th green at Askernish under construction. All done by hand by the local golfers who volunteered to help.The wind was so strong we had to build a turf wall on the seaward side to protect the contours from being blown away.

James Boon

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 03:23:58 AM »
Gordon,

I loved the 11th at Askernish! A great setting with Barra in the background and the sea just behind the green. Also it looks terrifying but its not as tricky as it first appears as its not all carry over the valley due to the 20 yards or so of fairway just short of the green.

My one concern with this hole is that one big storm could cause enough erosion to virtually destroy the green? Ralph mentioned that a storm recently wiped out 20 ft of the coastline, and if that were to happen again, the edge would be very close to the green.

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 09:31:30 AM »
Gordon:

Please don't take this as a criticism, but I was under the impression (mistakenly it appears) that the greens were totally natural and that it was only necessary to cut them. I had assumed that a bit of levelling here (rabbit holes etc.) and flattening there was required, but basically the greens were pretty much as you found them. I thought this was what made Askernish so special.

How many of the greens were constructed like the 11th?

Dónal.

Gordon Irvine

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2009, 04:29:25 PM »
Hi Donal the 11th green is the only total rebuild as this is the area that the sea had re claimed

The 7th was buried under several feet of sand and had to be cleared, the 15th punch bowl green was so badly under mined by rabbit warrens that we had to strip surface fill in under mined areas and resurface. There were no new contours added to any areas just worked enough to achieve putting surfaces.

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2009, 04:44:18 PM »
Hi Donal the 11th green is the only total rebuild as this is the area that the sea had re claimed

The 7th was buried under several feet of sand and had to be cleared, the 15th punch bowl green was so badly under mined by rabbit warrens that we had to strip surface fill in under mined areas and resurface. There were no new contours added to any areas just worked enough to achieve putting surfaces.

Gordon:

Thanks for clearing that up for me.  The course looks great!

Dónal.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back