News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Bentham

I played all 18 at Old Macdonald today...
« on: November 02, 2009, 04:06:18 AM »

Read what I think and a couple of more pictures here http://pacduneslooper.blogspot.com

JC Jones

Re: I played all 18 at Old Macdonald today...
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 08:07:04 AM »
My favorite quote, Joe:

"I never played 18 greens that were that much fun."

Thanks
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 10:48:06 AM »
Have you played Lost Dunes or Ballyneal (as a comparison of 18 fun greens to putt)?
Mr Hurricane

Mark Smolens

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 03:35:04 PM »
I've only played the preview at Old Mac, but the sheer majesty and size of the greens there take them above and beyond either Ballyneal or Lost Dunes (which are, imo, as good as it can get).  They certainly won't/couldn't be as fast as the greens at Lost Dunes, but I'm looking forward to getting back to the left coast to tackle the full course at Old McDonald. . .

Rob Rigg

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 03:45:25 PM »
Very cool that you got to play the full course before looping for someone on it.

Looks like you only had one round there thus far - but how would you - personally - split 10 on the property now?

George_Bahto

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 10:45:49 PM »
Joe B - glad you had such a good experience

the bowling ball  .................  good story        :P         - see Jim Urbina

It sits on top of the Alps hill - during construction, I wanted to roll it off there and down towards the green to see if it wold get there

glad to see itz still there

which route did you take on the 17th hole
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Joe Bentham

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 12:47:01 AM »
George--
I hit it down the right hand side of the hole and then hit a haphazard lay up too far left.  Of the holes that I saw for the first time on Sunday 17 is the one I want to see again the most.  I just didn't feel like I got 'it' on that hole and I'm sure it was because I missed something.  The green site is very cool, feels like its perched there on that ledge. 

Rob--
I've always seen that question posed on here and have never given it much thought.  I live in Bandon.  I don't have to decide.  Sorry.

Jim--
Nope.   

Duane Sharpe

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 01:02:10 AM »
I too just played it last week and was "very" impressed. It was like no other course I have ever played!
Greens were enormous and extremely undulating. We played a scramble on it one day and I like it so much, we went back and played our own ball. It was even better the second time around. There was so much variety in the 10 holes that we played.
Great job Tom and Jim! What a thrill  ;D
I honestly can't wait to get back to Bandon to play all four courses again.
Sharpee

Rob Rigg

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2009, 01:11:12 AM »
Joe,

That is not very helpful info for those planning annual trips :)

I guess at the end of the day it is to each his own - I wish I was down there long enough to play 10 rounds on any given trip - more likely it would be 6.

Before-OM - it was a pretty easy decision for me - 4 PD, 4 BT and 2 BD

After-OM - it is going to be much tougher - potentially 4 OM, 3 PD, 2 BT, 1 BD or maybe 3 OM, 3 PD, 3 BT, 1 BD

What an incredible assortment of courses Mr Keiser has created - and if you think about how long BDGR has been in existence it is even more amazing - 4 world class courses that have been opened in over 10ish years. Unbelievable.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2009, 11:20:12 AM »
Joe B - glad you had such a good experience

the bowling ball  .................  good story        :P         - see Jim Urbina

It sits on top of the Alps hill - during construction, I wanted to roll it off there and down towards the green to see if it wold get there

glad to see itz still there

which route did you take on the 17th hole

George, which template is #17?

Is there a bell behind the Alps green?

Jud_T

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2009, 11:29:39 AM »
Rob,

I'm having the same problem with 8 rounds, thinking 3 OM, 3 PD, 2 BT, 1 BD?
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Rob Rigg

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2009, 11:56:28 AM »
Jud,

That is where I would be as well.

Of course this is always "to each his own" but it is fun to here how people are splitting up their rounds.

The cool thing about OM is that it will really appeal to the GCA nut and the "average" golf nut because it is so much damn fun.

Previously, I knew a lot of people who given 6 rounds would probably play 3 on BD, 2 on PD and 1 on BT. I think they will probably be leaning towards 2 OM, 2 BD, 2 PD now.

Which leads me to believe that OM is going to be a busy course and it is going to be pretty easy to get tee times on BT which I would certainly welcome.

JC Jones

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2009, 12:07:19 PM »
Rob,

I'm having the same problem with 8 rounds, thinking 3 OM, 3 PD, 2 BT, 1 BD?

Im thinking you are playing more than 8 rounds.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Jud_T

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2009, 12:17:51 PM »
JC,
hey maybe that was my problem!!!! 8)
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Ross Waldorf

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2009, 02:41:22 PM »
A Bandon thread always gets me posting, what can I say?

Just really looking forward to playing up there again. I'm booked for September of next year, and I'll be doing 4 rounds on OM, 2 on PD and BT and 1 on BD. Can't wait to see what these newest Old Macdonald holes look like.

Thanks for the update, Joe.

Ben Sims

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2009, 07:48:05 PM »
I liken it to asking a 10 year old this question. If you had 10 tickets at the Disney World down in Kissimmee, FL, how would you divide them?

Epcot = Old Mac
Magic Kingdom = Pac Dunes
Animal Kingdom = Bandon Trails
Hollywood Studios = Bandon Dunes

David Kelly

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2009, 08:32:32 PM »
I have a feeling that I will find it very easy to leave the Bandon Dunes course off of all my future Bandon itineraries.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Ash Towe

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2009, 08:37:28 PM »
Having made my first visit to Bandon this year and played the preview I would do a 10 play split as follows-

Old Mac 4

Pacific 3

Trails 2

Bandon 1

I played Trails only once and Bandon twice on my visit, this as you can see would be reversed.

Scott Weersing

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2009, 08:45:06 PM »

Read what I think and a couple of more pictures here http://pacduneslooper.blogspot.com

What part of the course did you not understand?
What is one weakness of the course? (No course is perfect as many think No. 12 at Pacific Dunes is just a connector hole.)

Garland Bayley

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2009, 08:48:49 PM »
So Joe's a Duck. Guess that 'bout 'splains everything.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Anthony Gray

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2009, 08:52:59 PM »

Golf should be fun PERIOD. It is refreshing to see a course designed for fun and not for a "Major". I can't wait to three put.

Anthony

Bill_McBride

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2009, 09:24:01 PM »
I have a feeling that I will find it very easy to leave the Bandon Dunes course off of all my future Bandon itineraries.

I know what you mean, but there are some holes there I would hate to miss --- #16  ;D , #15  ;D , #4 and #5.  My Oregon brother and other Oregonians are the ones who are most loyal to the original.

Duane Sharpe

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2009, 09:28:43 PM »
Don't forget to include 9 holes on the practice loop!  It was alot of fun as well.
Incredible practice facilities!

Ross Waldorf

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2009, 10:58:31 PM »
Well here I go again. Playing zero rounds on Bandon Dunes is just flat out nuts, in my opinion. But to each his own. However, as far as giving advice to a first time visitor, you absolutely HAVE to play it. It's a fantastic golf course. I tend to find myself defending BD all the time on threads here, just because I often feel like a voice in the wilderness on GCA, where the generally held position is that it is far inferior to the other two (soon to be three). I just don't see it.

I'll second all of Bill McBride's picks. I mean you simply HAVE to see and play 16 on Bandon Dunes. It's a one-of-a-kind hole and absolutely spectacular. And in the summer wind it's one of the more thrilling tee shots at the resort to try and decide just how aggressive you want to be.

Anyway, in addition to the aforementioned 4, 5, 15, and 16, I would call 1, 2, 6, 10, 11, and 12 all terrific holes. Bandon Dunes will absolutely beat the pants off of most of the golf courses that most people play their entire lives. The amazing thing is that the other two (soon to be three) courses at the resort are better, and in some cases (PD for sure) WAY better. That's why the place is so damned great.

OK, that's my defense of Bandon Dunes for today. Don't wanna be a broken record.

Cory Brown

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2009, 11:25:25 PM »
Yes, please skip Bandon Dunes...More for me!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back