News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jud_T

Re: Bunker raking
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2009, 12:56:15 PM »
I say more strategic bunkers (raked or not) less water and trees.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Sean_A

« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2009, 01:05:15 PM »
Maybe I am misunderstanding this thread.  I thought it was about how folks philosophical think bunkers should be maintained.  Many seem to be focusing on keeping the course in good shape and not trying to screw the next guy in the bunker etc.  Am I confused?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Greg Chambers

« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2009, 01:26:43 PM »
In my experience, people rarely rake the bunkers after their shots anymore anyway, even if there's a rake sitting right next to where they walked in.  So then what's the point of having a bunch of stupid bunker rakes cluttering up the place.  It's a pain in the ass for the maintenance crew to move them around to mow, rake, etc, then find three rakes sitting in the same spot later in the afternoon with a bunker that's been raked twice out of the seven people that have been in it.  Do away with bunker rakes, smooth the surface with your foot, and let the maintenance crew tend to the bunkers a few times a week.
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

Jud_T

« Reply #53 on: November 04, 2009, 01:45:38 PM »
by the way, one small bone to pick, should rakes be in the bunkers or out? every course seems to have a different opinion...maybe a good reason to get rid of them altogether!
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Greg Chambers

« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2009, 02:30:03 PM »
by the way, one small bone to pick, should rakes be in the bunkers or out? every course seems to have a different opinion...maybe a good reason to get rid of them altogether!

The CGA and CWGA have always asked us to place the rakes outside the bunkers.
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

Jud_T

« Reply #55 on: November 04, 2009, 02:40:41 PM »
should they not be placed outside and behind the bunkers so as not to keep a ball from rolling in?

Scott Coan

« Reply #56 on: November 04, 2009, 03:11:29 PM »
We place our rakes at the very bottom of the bunker parallel to the line of play.  This takes away all interference of the rake outside the bunker.

Of course, we still have some idiot members that leave the rake on the downslope just as you enter the bunker.  Getting your ball stuck there is even worse than hoof prints!  Another reason to ban the rakes!! haha

Michael Rossi

« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2009, 01:19:37 AM »
Take your pick raked or not.

If players could rake as per the raked bunker in the image, it still gives the hazard the unpredictable lie without being unfair. IF the player is going to take the time to smooth with a cleat why not use a rake, either way at least clean up the tire tracks.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back