News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

Re: GCA Mock Fantasy Draft II...For down the road, after we recover!
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2009, 03:59:22 PM »
Too much government!!

No limiting a course to first three holes...can you imagine the can of worms that would open?  "Why, dadgummit, those aren't even the three best holes on Warthog's Butte Golf and Bacon Club!!!!!"

The way I see it, and the spirit of T Diddy's original suggestion, is that once I select a single hole from National, I cannot return.  That's the spirit of Fantasy Football, too...If you go with the running back first, you won't get a shot at Drew Brees or Peyton Manning.  You can't get all the good holes.

Ronald,

I said 3 holes from a course, not the 1st 3 holes!!  lol

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2009, 04:02:11 PM »
I know that, Kalen...I meant, in my broken English, that if you pick one from national, I pick one and Alex picks one, the other 15 are off limits...I was speaking chronologically.  Besides, everyone knows that architects save their good stuff for holes 4 through 18!!
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2009, 04:06:44 PM »
I know that, Kalen...I meant, in my broken English, that if you pick one from national, I pick one and Alex picks one, the other 15 are off limits...I was speaking chronologically.  Besides, everyone knows that architects save their good stuff for holes 4 through 18!!

Ahh ok....not a problem.  Its better than 1 and done though..!!  ;D

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2009, 04:10:39 PM »
I agree...Let's hope we can pull this off with Google Wave or something of that ilk.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2009, 04:21:19 PM »
To clarify, I meant what Ronald said.  If only one hole could be taken from any course for the whole draft, that would be VERY hard.  And I'd be even more likely to win, except that by the end of it, guys would be picking golf holes that no one else had ever seen, and that would get ugly.

[Then again, it's not much different than the last version, when someone picked the Bay of Dreams despite the fact they've never even seen a photo of it!]  You might as well pick the course I routed on Friday!

Alex Miller

« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2009, 04:39:25 PM »
Dibs on the course Tom routed on Friday!  ;)

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2009, 04:41:11 PM »
Yah, you only get one hole you haven't seen.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

JC Jones

« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2009, 06:05:10 PM »
To clarify, I meant what Ronald said.  If only one hole could be taken from any course for the whole draft, that would be VERY hard.  And I'd be even more likely to win, except that by the end of it, guys would be picking golf holes that no one else had ever seen, and that would get ugly.

[Then again, it's not much different than the last version, when someone picked the Bay of Dreams despite the fact they've never even seen a photo of it!]  You might as well pick the course I routed on Friday!

Depends on where it is.... so where is it? ;)
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Ben Sims

« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2009, 06:24:18 PM »
So let me get this straight.  Tom D was touring holes in the British Isles the year I was born, and I'm only allowed to pick holes I've seen?  Great, I am sure this "measuring contest" will end in constructive comparison of great golf holes. 

By the way, has anyone looked into some type of endgame for our draft this week?  Did somebody "win"?

If I'm crabby, I apologize.  But then again, I'm usually crabby after the Florida game every year.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2009, 07:23:30 PM »
1.  Regarding our exercise, there were no winners, only enlightenment.  I was impressed with me, but not nearly as impressed as I was with the other entrants' choices.

2.  No, that is not the rule.  Tom the Traveler made a suggestion, but I won't list it as a rule.  He wrote, I believe, that if people pick holes that are not known, it will make objective scoring that much more difficult.  For that reason, I plan to outlaw objective scoring and make all scoring completely subjective.

3.  It sucks that you're that young.  We all hate you, Ben.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Mac Plumart

« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2009, 07:37:06 PM »
Gents....

I know you will all be heart-broken, but I won't be able to do the GCA Mock Fantasy Draft #2 over Thanksgiving.  This is for two main reasons...#1---Time commitment during major family/holiday time, #2---This one will be out of my league (picking individual holes from a so many different choices).

However, I have started to compile a list of courses I would have on my list, if I were going to play.  Here is my front nine...

1st hole at The Carthage Club
PGA West Stadium Course 17th
Nullarbor Links, Australia…The Wombat Hole (#4)
11th at Shiskine Golf Club Ireland
17th at Hans Merensky Golf Course
The final hole (19th) at Legends Golf and Safari Resort in South Africa
#11 at Koolau Golf Club in Hawaii
Stone Harbor’s par 3 7th hole in its original 1987 glory
Baseball Diamond hole at Meadow Farms

I thought it would be hard to top the original 7th at Stone Harbor, but I may have done it with my Meadow Farms pick.   :)

But in all seriousness, if y'all do it...I will be checking in frequently to see what makes the list and doing follow up research to learn from the picks.  So make'em good!!!  Tom Doak...I saw some of your trash talk...so I've got high expectations for your picks!!!

Later!

PS...who thinks they can hit that green on the last hole at Legends?
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Tim Bert

« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2009, 08:02:07 PM »
Ballyneal in July. Anyone that isn't willing to forego Nebraska and Kansas to play that great course with some greAt company and a geeky fantasy golf hole draft is crazy.

Of course all of you that participated in the last draft can't join without my permission since I own the rights to Ballyneal now.

Now who should I take...  Jim, Tom...

[Dell Sims looks at me eagerly]

T-Pain!!!

Jim Colton

« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2009, 08:02:49 PM »
So let me get this straight.  Tom D was touring holes in the British Isles the year I was born, and I'm only allowed to pick holes I've seen?  Great, I am sure this "measuring contest" will end in constructive comparison of great golf holes. 

By the way, has anyone looked into some type of endgame for our draft this week?  Did somebody "win"?

If I'm crabby, I apologize.  But then again, I'm usually crabby after the Florida game every year.

Ben, the commish ruled on the first mock draft.  I won.

Jud_T

« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2009, 09:27:47 PM »
I'm in and you know I won ;)
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Ben Sims

« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2009, 09:58:13 PM »
What a weekend.  Burned by Ronald, Tim, Jim, Urban Meyer and Verne Lundquist all in the same two day span. 

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2009, 12:08:33 AM »
I have Google Wave, I just haven't used it yet.

WHAT!!!! That's like saying I have a Blackberry with e-mail but haven't set up my account on it. Send me the invite! howlintwolf@gmail.com
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2009, 09:47:30 AM »
Patrick, that's how the old guys think...digital immigrants, we call them.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Jim Colton

« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2009, 10:02:36 AM »
Patrick,

Well, it's really only useful if the people you need to work with on there too.  That hasn't happened yet for me, personally.  And unfortunately, I don't have the ability to nominate others.  It's too bad, because I'm currently working on a project that would be perfect for it.

So, I'm going to go out on a limb and say Wave won't be a viable option for a 30-40 person GCA draft in Nov.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2009, 09:53:59 PM »
Any update on Crave the (google) Wave?

Preliminary rules
1.  Two holes per round, nine rounds.
2.  One hole only per course per entrant (you pick the 12th, tarnished carillon, from Batwing National and that's all you get from there.)
3.  Serpentine order (1 to X, X to 1, 1 to X, X to 1, etc.)
4.  Par cannot exceed 76, nor can you have more than 10 of one "par" hole.

Feel free to add or contest rules as you see fit.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Jim Colton

« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2009, 10:10:28 PM »
Ron,

I don't think you should place any restriction on the pars and number of holes per par (the Old Course is a great course and it has 14 par 4's).  If somebody wanted to construct a dream course with all par 3's on the front and all par 5's on the back, so be it.  A third-party would probably look at it and think it was pretty lame, and it would probably "lose" if there was a such a thing as winners and losers, but it's all just fantasy anyways.

Jim

Ian_L

« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2009, 10:27:31 PM »
Do you determine the order of your holes after the draft is over?

If not, your course would theoretically get worse and worse. ;)

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2009, 10:36:40 PM »
Hmmm...interesting point.  If we bring ordering of holes into the equation, we'll all go insane!  I think that we need to discuss this, as a routing with Pebble Beach's 18th as the first hole would bring jeers from some, cheers from others.

Jim, that's fair...if someone's dream course is an executive course, so be it.  I felt that a course ought to at least keep some balance to it, hence the no more than ten of one par rule.  How do you feel about the maximum par idea?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Ian_L

« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2009, 01:57:06 AM »
I felt that a course ought to at least keep some balance to it, hence the no more than ten of one par rule.  How do you feel about the maximum par idea?

Well, you're not asking me, but... :P

I think each contestant should try to make his/her own course the best for himself.  If he likes playing 16 par 4's why not let him?  Just because the rest of us will think it's dumb doesn't mean it shouldn't be allowed.  He just won't "win" in our minds.

I would love to participate, but I don't think I would be able to make that time slot (really any 4-hour period would be tough) as I will be busy watching my team beat Pat Mucci's.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2009, 02:38:00 AM »
In order to prevent certain type of holes being picked over and over by certain participants...I think we could do a slight modification of what Ron suggested in his original post.

Something like:

Round 1: Par 4s only - 2 picks per round from different courses
Round 2: Par 5s only - 2 picks per round from different courses
Round 3: Par 3s only - 2 picks per round from different courses
Repeat this series 2 additional times for a total of 18 holes with 6 par 3s, 6 par 4s, and 6 par 5s for a total of par 72.  ;D

By doing this, not only would we not have to worry about par, but we could also leave some leeway for people to pick either short holes or long holes depending on thier personal preferences.

Ian_L

« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2009, 04:08:32 AM »
Kalen, I still don't see why we feel the need to constrain people.  If someone wants to take all the par 3's, then he'll just have his own little executive course. Too bad for him.  I don't think anyone will do that, and  if they do it shouldn't make the experience any worse for the rest.

Maybe instead of the 4-hour period we could do this over 9 days for the 9 rounds we are holding?  That might make it easier for more people to participate.  However, if you can get 20 people for the suggested time, that would probably be best.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back