News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ronald Montesano

Surgeon General's Warning:  Not for now, nor for the faint of heart, but at some point (Thanksgiving or Winter holidays, who knows) we can throw together some terrific 18s with the Devil's Balance (6-6-6) of holes 3, 4 and 5 par.  I'll make a call for contestants when the mood arises.

Round 1:
2 Short Par Three Holes (150 yards and under)

Round 2:
2 Mid Par Three Holes (151 to 200 yards)

Round 3:
2 Lengthy Par Three Holes (201 yards and up)

Round 4
2 Short Par Four Holes (350 yards and under)

Round 5:
2 Mid Par Four Holes (351 to 425 yards)

Round 6:
2 Lengthy Par Four Holes (426 yards and up)

Round 7:
2 Short Par Five Holes (490 yards and under)

Round 8:
2 Mid Par Five Holes (491 to 560 yards)

Round 3:
2 Lengthy Par Five Holes (561 yards and up)
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Kalen Braley

Re: GCA Mock Fantasy Draft II...For down the road, after we recover!
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 09:36:07 AM »
This sounds good, but better get some ground rules in place like...

Yardage from which tee?
Par based on normal play or tournament play?
Etc.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 09:44:04 AM »
Good points, given the picky bunch of f-ers that populate this site, not to mention the lawyers!  Where's Ronan Tynan when you need him?

The yardage from which tee question is a good one...given the original architect's intent versus the whim of green committees and their adding of tees, a mid-length par five hole (18th at Cherry Hill [Travis} in Ridgeway, Ontario) can be transformed into a Long Par Five with the addition of the Tiger Tee.  Therefore, taking the lead from conservative politics, I would say you pick the tee and you classify the hole.  The 5th at Crag Burn (RTJ Sr.) in East Aurora, New York, typically plays from 175 yards to 190 yards for the male members (pun intended.)  Tucked into the woods in the upper left corner is an elevated tee that plays directly over the pond and makes the hole a short par three and the green wide versus deep.  I've never played it from there but imagine it to be one hell of a hole.  Do I call it my short or my middie?  MY CHOICE.

Par should be easy...how many holes differ that much?  Again, I leave it up to the entrants.  If you view a hole as a five and can confirm it as such, bravo.  If you are trying to pull a fast one, God will get you!
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Jim Colton

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2009, 09:46:28 AM »
I like Tim Bert's idea of putting together a dream course Holes 1-18 with some constraints with how you pick (by designer or course, 2-3 holes at a time...something like that).

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2009, 02:24:51 PM »
Are you and he thinking one designer per entrant, build your dream course?  I thought about trying to maintain architectural integrity in a hole-by-hole draft, but realized that each one's parameters would no doubt differ.  I imagine that the GCAMFD II would be open to any suggestions (since it will take on a life of its own!)
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

R.S._Barker

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2009, 04:22:06 PM »
Count me in.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2009, 09:10:39 PM »
I think we would need to cap it at about 20 entrants...any more and it gets impossible to coordinate...Not like an online NFL fantasy draft where people dedicate 4 hours and it's done.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Mac Plumart

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2009, 09:20:02 PM »
Why not dedicate 4 hours to it?

Let's set a time and a date, get the rules in place, the people who want to play, and let it roll.

X number of minutes for your pick or you are skipped and roll it out.

Thoughts?

If we do it like that, I am in.  I have issues with being on call throughout the day due to some of the hours I work, but if i knew that (whatever) Nov. 11th from 6 pm to 10 pm we are doing our next draft...then I can make the time.

Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Jim Colton

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2009, 10:00:24 PM »
How about @ Ballyneal in July next year?

Mac Plumart

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2009, 10:02:00 PM »
Oh man...that would be AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm in!

Give me the time and date!

I can get a cart to ride in, right? ;)
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2009, 10:17:06 PM »
I'm not trekking all the way to Colorado unless there's some Nebraska and Kansas thrown in.  Seriously, though, what about the Saturday of Thanksgiving weekend?  Or that Friday?  We could say 6 to 10.  The only problem is, we don't have the functionality of Yahoo or NFL.Com.  If someone volunteers to run a spreadsheet or something and fires updates with promptness, we could pull it off.  I agree that the being on call from 10/26 at 11:51 am until 5:35 on 10/30 (4 days and 6 hours) is too much to ask.

Who would be up for such an adventure this Thanksgiving weekend?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Jim Colton

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2009, 09:33:18 AM »
I'm not trekking all the way to Colorado unless there's some Nebraska and Kansas thrown in.  Seriously, though, what about the Saturday of Thanksgiving weekend?  Or that Friday?  We could say 6 to 10.  The only problem is, we don't have the functionality of Yahoo or NFL.Com.  If someone volunteers to run a spreadsheet or something and fires updates with promptness, we could pull it off.  I agree that the being on call from 10/26 at 11:51 am until 5:35 on 10/30 (4 days and 6 hours) is too much to ask.

Who would be up for such an adventure this Thanksgiving weekend?

Duly noted Ron.

JNC Lyon

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2009, 11:26:58 AM »
Good points, given the picky bunch of f-ers that populate this site, not to mention the lawyers!  Where's Ronan Tynan when you need him?

The yardage from which tee question is a good one...given the original architect's intent versus the whim of green committees and their adding of tees, a mid-length par five hole (18th at Cherry Hill [Travis} in Ridgeway, Ontario) can be transformed into a Long Par Five with the addition of the Tiger Tee.  Therefore, taking the lead from conservative politics, I would say you pick the tee and you classify the hole.  The 5th at Crag Burn (RTJ Sr.) in East Aurora, New York, typically plays from 175 yards to 190 yards for the male members (pun intended.)  Tucked into the woods in the upper left corner is an elevated tee that plays directly over the pond and makes the hole a short par three and the green wide versus deep.  I've never played it from there but imagine it to be one hell of a hole.  Do I call it my short or my middie?  MY CHOICE.

Par should be easy...how many holes differ that much?  Again, I leave it up to the entrants.  If you view a hole as a five and can confirm it as such, bravo.  If you are trying to pull a fast one, God will get you!

The 5th at Crag Burn is a VERY cool hole from that short left tee.  I'm not sure if it is better from that tee than the 185 tee, but it adds a new dimension to the hole.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

JNC Lyon

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2009, 11:30:38 AM »
As for the draft itself, count me in easily.  Thanksgiving weekend would be a good time to hold the draft.  Preferably, we could hold the draft at night on that Friday or Saturday, because my guess is that most people have activities during the day.  Either way, just let me know when the draft is, and I'll make it work!
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Tom_Doak

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2009, 11:35:36 AM »
Personally, I think it would be much more interesting if you set it up with a minimum of rules, such as:

(a)  30-40 participants
(b)  you can only pick one hole from any course for your 18, and only pick from what hasn't already been taken.  This will make the later rounds very tough unless you are very well traveled.

I don't think you should have any restrictions on how many short 4's or long 4's or par 3's you have to take; that way there are no arguments about what hole fits into one category.  Nor any restrictions on architect(s) used, for the same reason.  Let everybody choose for themselves on that count, and judge the results on the best overall collection of holes.

I would love to kick all of your butts at this, but I'll have to see if I'm available to participate when you decide on a place and time.

JC Jones

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2009, 11:46:17 AM »
Well, I think Tom's idea with 30-40 participants would kill any chance of doing this in 3-4 hours.  I do, however, like the other aspects of his format.

Although there is not yahoo/espn format, you could do a googledocs spreadsheet that was able to be edited by all participating.  When one person updates a field it updates the sheet and is viewable by all people who are viewing the spreadsheet at that time.

That all being said, I'd be in for Ballyneal in July. 
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Jim Colton

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2009, 11:50:12 AM »
Well, Tom's got the trash-talking part down, so he's already met the first prerequsite.

Would Google Wave meet our purposes?  I haven't used it.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2009, 11:54:09 AM »
Did Tom mean:

1) Only 1 hole could be picked from a course?  By anyone?

2) Or just that for any given person, they could only pick one hole from a course?

Scenario 1 would be brutal...

JC Jones

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2009, 11:55:31 AM »
Well, Tom's got the trash-talking part down, so he's already met the first prerequsite.

Would Google Wave meet our purposes?  I haven't used it.

I haven't used it either but it appears more than what we need from looking at it.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Ben Sims

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2009, 12:12:38 PM »
How about @ Ballyneal in July next year?
Personally, I think it would be much more interesting if you set it up with a minimum of rules, such as:

(a)  30-40 participants
(b)  you can only pick one hole from any course for your 18, and only pick from what hasn't already been taken.  This will make the later rounds very tough unless you are very well traveled.

I don't think you should have any restrictions on how many short 4's or long 4's or par 3's you have to take; that way there are no arguments about what hole fits into one category.  Nor any restrictions on architect(s) used, for the same reason.  Let everybody choose for themselves on that count, and judge the results on the best overall collection of holes.

I would love to kick all of your butts at this, but I'll have to see if I'm available to participate when you decide on a place and time.

Why don't we combine ideas here.  I am willing to bet that if we had all of the folks coming that weekend on one side of the Turtle Bar, and Tom on the other, we could take him. 

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2009, 12:23:48 PM »
ANSWER TO GOOGLE WAVE QUESTION
I have a Google account. Why can't I sign in to Google Wave?

Even though you have a Gmail or a Google account, you must be invited to Google Wave in order to sign in. If you haven't been invited by a friend, you won't be able to use the service at this time.

***I just signed up for an invitation, with this precise draft as the purpose...we'll see if Google Wave's team wants to use us as guinea pigs.

ANSWER TO TOMMY D. QUESTION

I think he means one hole per course per person.  I can pick hole 1 at Ironwood, no one else can, I can't use Ironwood again, the other 17 holes are up for grabs (Ironwood is an enjoyable Scott Witter design, bee tee dubs, on the way to the middle of nowhere.)

ANSWER TO NUMBER OF PARTICIPANTS QUESTION

30 to 40 would be a blast in a room with a sober moderator and the rest of us set with pitchers of beer and web-enabled laptops (pitchers of laptops?)  If we can get something akin to a legit fantasy football drafting service, with an online board of what's been taken and who is up, we can pull it off.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Jim Colton

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2009, 12:46:12 PM »
I read Tom's post to say once a course was picked, it couldn't be picked again (hence, the well-traveled comment).

I have Google Wave, I just haven't used it yet.  JC, shoot me your e-mail and extend an invite and we can try to play around with it.

Anybody ever try an auction draft?  Nominate a course, bid on it, highest bidder gets to pick a hole to place in his dream course.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2009, 01:09:52 PM »
I read Tom's post to say once a course was picked, it couldn't be picked again (hence, the well-traveled comment).

I have Google Wave, I just haven't used it yet.  JC, shoot me your e-mail and extend an invite and we can try to play around with it.

Anybody ever try an auction draft?  Nominate a course, bid on it, highest bidder gets to pick a hole to place in his dream course.

Jim,

Thats how i read it too....but Ronalds clarification sounded more sane to me.  Once a hole is picked it can't be picked again.  And the person that picked that hole can't pick from that course again, even though others can still have a go at its other 17 holes.

Could u imagine only 1 hole being picked from NGLA, Shinny, CPC, ANGC, etc, etc....that would be some crazy stuff right there...but it probably would be funner.

Perhaps as a compromise a rule could be put in place to say that only 3 holes can be taken from a course max....and then its off-limits.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 01:11:46 PM by Kalen Braley »

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2009, 01:47:07 PM »
Too much government!!

No limiting a course to first three holes...can you imagine the can of worms that would open?  "Why, dadgummit, those aren't even the three best holes on Warthog's Butte Golf and Bacon Club!!!!!"

The way I see it, and the spirit of T Diddy's original suggestion, is that once I select a single hole from National, I cannot return.  That's the spirit of Fantasy Football, too...If you go with the running back first, you won't get a shot at Drew Brees or Peyton Manning.  You can't get all the good holes.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Alex Miller

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2009, 02:07:45 PM »
Just wanted to say I'm in!

And we probably would not need to vary the yardages on for each par, I think everyone on here values the merits of short / half-par holes. Perhaps just making sure we have 6 of each instead of the specific yardage of the hole would be enough.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back