News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chuck Brown

Can it be? "Philly vs. NY" golf course trashtalk?
« on: October 30, 2009, 01:27:31 PM »
Hard to imagine, that some of GCA's finest might engage in some "Who's got better classic golf courses; Philly or New York?" ::)

I guess my only observation, as a strictly neutral party, is that Links Magazine could have come here to GCA to get the story written for them... ;)

http://linksmagazine.com/best_of_golf/features/world_series_golf_new_york_philadelphia.aspx

Chuck Brown

Re: Can it be? "Philly vs. NY" golf course trashtalk?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 01:36:30 PM »
As a lifelong devotee of the American League side of things (despite my card-carrying Yankee-hater status), I note that the Links authors left Garden City, Maidstone, the Creek Club and Piping Rock in New York's bullpen.  Hardly seems fair.
Then again, nothing about the Yankees' roster ever seems fair.  

TEPaul

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 01:43:08 PM »
I'd go along with that game by game result until the 7th game and then I would give it a tie and the playoff would be to shoot-out analyze the next 100 best in both cities and the first to get to 51 wins. Something tells me New York would win the series.

On the other hand, if you put each course from above in both New York and Philly in all seven games up against Fernandina Beach Muncipal GC then Jacksonville would sweep the series against both New York and Philadelphia.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 01:44:48 PM by TEPaul »

Steve Burrows

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 09:36:40 PM »
Is it troublesome to anyone else that in a contest that pretends to involve the state of New York, with a phenomenal number of courses from which to choose, that "Game 5" features Baltusrol, a course in New Jersey?
...to admit my mistakes most frankly, or to say simply what I believe to be necessary for the defense of what I have written, without introducing the explanation of any new matter so as to avoid engaging myself in endless discussion from one topic to another.     
               -Rene Descartes

Steve Burrows

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 09:50:03 PM »
Or Game 1 with Pine Valley also in New Jersey, for that matter.
...to admit my mistakes most frankly, or to say simply what I believe to be necessary for the defense of what I have written, without introducing the explanation of any new matter so as to avoid engaging myself in endless discussion from one topic to another.     
               -Rene Descartes

Emil Weber

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 10:04:32 PM »
Huntingdon Valley vs. NGLA isn't quite what you would call a fair match, hey  ;)

Kyle Harris

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2009, 05:19:38 AM »
I wonder what would happen if National and Winged Foot were switched in the order...

or Galloway National (?!) with Rolling Green.

[/blatant homerism]

TEPaul

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2009, 09:59:19 PM »
“Is it troublesome to anyone else that in a contest that pretends to involve the state of New York, with a phenomenal number of courses from which to choose, that "Game 5" features Baltusrol, a course in New Jersey?”

“Or Game 1 with Pine Valley also in New Jersey, for that matter.”

SteveB:

I guess you don’t understand the way Northeast golf works, do you?  ;)

New York and the New York Metropolitan Golf Association (MET) basically owns North Jersey and Philadelphia and the Golf Association of Philadelphia (GAP) basically owns South Jersey. That is the way it’s pretty much been in golf for a century.

Didn’t you even watch The Sopranos? Those guys from North Jersey felt like South Jersey was some kinda foreign country and they were probably right because for over a century South Jersey has pretty much belonged to GAP!

If the Met and GAP get into some territorial war as to what club should be in which association there is only one reasonable and fair way, at this point, to decide the issue. If you want to know what way that is just feel completely free to ask me.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 10:04:31 PM by TEPaul »

Kyle Harris

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2009, 10:21:25 PM »
“Is it troublesome to anyone else that in a contest that pretends to involve the state of New York, with a phenomenal number of courses from which to choose, that "Game 5" features Baltusrol, a course in New Jersey?”

“Or Game 1 with Pine Valley also in New Jersey, for that matter.”

SteveB:

I guess you don’t understand the way Northeast golf works, do you?  ;)

New York and the New York Metropolitan Golf Association (MET) basically owns North Jersey and Philadelphia and the Golf Association of Philadelphia (GAP) basically owns South Jersey. That is the way it’s pretty much been in golf for a century.

Didn’t you even watch The Sopranos? Those guys from North Jersey felt like South Jersey was some kinda foreign country and they were probably right because for over a century South Jersey has pretty much belonged to GAP!

If the Met and GAP get into some territorial war as to what club should be in which association there is only one reasonable and fair way, at this point, to decide the issue. If you want to know what way that is just feel completely free to ask me.

This border war dates way back to Colonial times, when there was - at one point - a North New Jersey and a South New Jersey. Two feuding brothers were willed the colony but did not settle their dispute for some time. The state was divided along a southeast to northwest line that cut the state around Princeton.

Today, that line is a road.

Aptly named, "Province Line Road."

mike_malone

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2009, 11:05:43 PM »
 I think RG is pleased to be in the contest.
AKA Mayday

Bill Brightly

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2009, 11:40:59 PM »
I wonder if the Philly guys think Saucon Valley Old should be in there instead of Galloway?

Is Stonewall ready to crack the top 7 in Philly?

Personally, I like Ridgewood over Somerset Hills for overall depth of great holes., especially the composite 18 used for the Barclays.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back