News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Alex Miller

The Donald...
« on: October 28, 2009, 10:29:16 PM »
Updated: October 28, 2009, 1:00 PM ET
Work on Trump resort moves forward
Comment Email Print Share
Associated Press
EDINBURGH, Scotland -- Work has begun on Donald Trump's controversial golf resort in Endinburgh, Scotland.

Workers are clearing rocks and other debris from the site Wednesday after planners at the Aberdeenshire Council granted permission.

Trump was given permission last year to build the resort featuring a five-star hotel, 1,200 homes and two international-standard golf courses north of Aberdeen.

Grass will be planted from November to March on an environmentally sensitive stretch of sand dunes to stabilize the beach for development into a championship golf course.

Some local residents who oppose the project have threatened legal action, claiming violations of environmental laws and planning procedures.

Scott Warren

Re: The Donald...
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 10:34:33 PM »
Well subbed... Jesus wept!

Anthony Gray

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 10:52:38 PM »

Edinburgh or Aberdeen?

AG

Rob Rigg

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 10:55:28 PM »
The funny thing is that the Donald Jr is Twittering about the imminent commencement of - and I quote "The best golf course ever!"

No joke.

Scott Warren

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 11:00:27 PM »

Edinburgh or Aberdeen?

AG

Or Endinburgh, apparently!

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 07:23:14 AM »
The funny thing is that the Donald Jr is Twittering about the imminent commencement of - and I quote "The best golf course ever!"

No joke.

And who does this surprise????????????
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Jud_T

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 08:28:35 AM »
hmmm.... let's see, 275 pounds for a round on this dogtrack or a WEEK'S PASS AT CRUDEN BAY!!!!!!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 08:49:42 AM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Jim Franklin

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 08:45:48 AM »
Who is the architect of the future greatest course in the world?
Mr Hurricane

Adam Clayman

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 09:07:17 AM »
Stabalizing thge dunes seems so ... So ... Natural.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Scott Warren

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 09:08:01 AM »

Hawtree, IIRC.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 09:08:28 AM »

Martin Hawtree

David Schofield

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2009, 09:17:21 AM »
Doesn't the Donald take an architect's credit on all his courses?

Brian Phillips

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2009, 10:38:12 AM »
Dr. Martin Hawtree and he might surprise everyone on here with his design.  Stabilising dunes with marram is quite common and many of the great golf courses that have been built on sand waste grounds will have used some form of stabilising planting to stop sand from blowing or shifting.
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Kalen Braley

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2009, 10:40:19 AM »
Has anyone played many of Hawtree's courses?

While the entire development is likely to be overdone, perhaps the course could be done well....just sayin'

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2009, 10:48:37 AM »
What is the best course he has done?

Can anyone provide us with a link with pictures of his best work?
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Jud_T

« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2009, 10:49:22 AM »
my guess is you're looking at a pretty good, overpriced course tarnished by the sheen of new money and the shadow of the gaudy hotel/conference/spa/equestrian centre nearby.... :'( :'(
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Brian Phillips

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2009, 10:56:49 AM »
He redesigned a lot at Lahinch.
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2009, 11:12:10 AM »

Here is a link to a course Hawtree did a couple of years ago near London Ontario (not the UK).  I don't know if it's his best, but it has been very well received.  It would be the antithesis of the Donald's new course in terms of infrastructure.  Tarandowah is in the middle of nowhere with very rudimentary club house facilities. Let's wait and see what Hawtree can do with the Donald's site before casting judgement.  He certainly seems capable of designing a top notch course.  Many of you might enjoy Hawtree's quote at the top of the page in the link.

http://www.puregolf.net/course.htm

Steve Lapper

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2009, 11:14:39 AM »
Dr. Martin Hawtree and he might surprise everyone on here with his design.  Stabilising dunes with marram is quite common and many of the great golf courses that have been built on sand waste grounds will have used some form of stabilising planting to stop sand from blowing or shifting.

Jud,

Do you know Donald? Do you know Martin Hawtree's resume and past work? Do you know the property, or all the plans as they relate solely to the golf course? You seem to opine a great deal on just how bad Trump is for Scotland and how awful a job Trump will do. Have you played any of his courses? Bedminster, Old or New? My guess is you do not know much about Trump or Hawtree other than what you read in the papers and have not played many, if not any, of his courses.

Making such wide and uninformed statements are exactly why this site continues to lose it's relevance and reputation IMHO. I don't write any of this to defend Trump against charges of hyperbole or showmanship. I know there are two sides to this development and some of his claims and approaches do leave something to be desired. He's over-the-top on many of his claims, no doubt, but the man loves the game and wants to leave some very good courses as part of his legacy. In total, that's hardly reaching the horrible threshold you (and others) constantly accuse him of.

Does anyone here know what the greens fee will be yet? I think not. Playing the likes of the Old Course, Muirfield,RCD, Portrush certainly costs a pretty penny, no? Those who strive to play Old Head, Carnoustie, Royal Troon, etc...also pay up, no?

Why don't we all wait and see what a very good and highly reputable architect like Hawtree produces before we all spout off on it's merits? Is that so difficult?

PS...Hawtree also did some work at Carnoustie
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Sean_A

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2009, 11:16:16 AM »
Dr. Martin Hawtree and he might surprise everyone on here with his design. 

Brian

I agree.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Chechesee Creek & Old Barnwell

Kalen Braley

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2009, 11:16:31 AM »
Steve,

I'm not seeing what Brian said that was inflammatory?

Jud_T

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2009, 11:21:49 AM »
Steve,

I have nothing against Hawtree and haven't played any of his courses.  I do have some knowledge of how the Trump organization does business, which I shall not bore you all with here.  Have fun playing this course. I hope it turns out wonderfully and helps the local economy.  I will not be playing it and will not cast a dark cloud furthermore upon the proceedings....

Brian Phillips

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2009, 11:22:51 AM »
Instead of judging Trump on here why doesn't everyone just step back a little.  He has signed one of the nicest men in the industry, a person that has always had time for me.  I might not like everything he does but I don't like everything Tom Doak does either.

Trump has chosen a superb architect who does work with the land and moves very little earth if not needed and was doing it long before anyone on here mentioned the words minimalist or renaissance.

Hawtree is no softie and he will walk if he does not get to design the course the way it is supposed to be designed.  I don't know anything about his team (I do, but not enough to give an opinion) and I am pretty sure it will be a great course.  Could anyone else do better?  Who knows, who cares.

Congratulations to a true British architect getting a high budget British project.  About bloody time...  David Kidd does not count as he has an American accent and does not even live in the country or have a design company in Britain.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2009, 11:23:59 AM »
 Does anyone here know what the greens fee will be yet? I think not. Playing the likes of the Old Course, Muirfield,RCD, Portrush certainly costs a pretty penny, no? Those who strive to play Old Head, Carnoustie, Royal Troon, etc...also pay up, no?

Steve
Rather than criticising what others are posting , why dont you take some time and read through the threads on this subject , as Mr Trump has already stated what the green fees will be .

Whether you can believe him or not ........!

George Pazin

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2009, 11:24:38 AM »
Kalen, if I read Steve correctly, he is quoting Brian in response to Jud, it's Jud's words he is taking issue with.

Fwiw, as I read the reviews on here (haven't played one...yet :)), The Donald's courses seem to be getting better and better. They also seem to reflect the architect involved.

Can't say I care much for the photo of the Hawtree course posted, however...but we all know how reliable photographs can be.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back