News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jud_T

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tom_Doak

Re: warm weather clubs
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2009, 05:02:38 PM »
dsilk:  Anthony P.'s recommendation is a great one -- if you can get into Mid Ocean Club, that would be hard to argue with.  Tucker's Point, not so much.

For someone in the East, the other best options would be Florida or the Caribbean.  Seminole would of course be #1 on that list ... maybe there are some hockey fans on the committee.  Naples isn't my cup of tea.

For someone west of Chicago, Arizona and Palm Springs are more popular and easier to access.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 05:04:17 PM by Tom_Doak »

PCCraig

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2009, 05:16:15 PM »
I would 2nd Kiawah as a heck of a place for a winter home...or even visit.

Personally I find no reason to go to FL anytime soon as it's just not my cup of tea and except for a few places there arn't any good golf courses worth seeing.
H.P.S.

Scott Coan

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2009, 05:29:31 PM »
Mid Ocean's a treat but coming from somebody that spent a winter in Bermuda, the place is anything but tropical in Jan, Feb, Mar.  50 degrees and rain and your only mobility is on a moped.  Most of the accomodation is concrete block with no heating.  Cold, damp. and miserable would be three words to describe Bermuda in winter.

Other than that it's one of the prettiest spots on Earth  ;)

Robert Emmons

« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2009, 05:30:55 PM »
For truly warm weather in the winter you need to be south of Vero Beach. I would suggest Palm Beach and Martin counties and West Palm Beach airportas the destination...RHE

JC Jones

« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2009, 05:34:01 PM »
Naples isn't my cup of tea.

Spoken like a true New Yorker ;)  Us midwesterners like the gulfside!
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2009, 06:04:04 PM »
It's hard to beat Palm Beach Gardens, Boco, Boynton, West Palm, etc, in the winter-A lot of VERY well conditioned courses, some good architecture and great weather....

Tony Nysse
Pine Tree GC
Boynton Beach, FL
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Greg Tallman

« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2009, 06:11:25 PM »
If it gets any better than Cabo it must be on another planet.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2009, 06:46:50 PM »
California has the 12 month won hands down. However cost, culture of club, ease of travel are legitimate variables once one finds the architecture style one is comfortable with. I can honestly say that is the only knock I have ever heard on Sandhills, Parairie Dunes etc being remotenss and difficulty in getting there. I think in all respect to Greg, the order is a huge, not small, issue on Cabo. I had 40 minutes once and an hour the next in customs and as we all know it is not any better coming back.

Steve Wilson

« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2009, 07:37:33 PM »
 I swear with all the talk lately about competition balls, competitions clubs, etc., when I opened this thread I was fully expecting to learn that some people were playing different sticks in different weather conditions.  Deity on a Segway, I thought, when is all this specialization going to stop.  In the words of Emily Littela, "Never mind."
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

C. Squier

« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2009, 09:45:26 PM »
California has the 12 month won hands down. However cost, culture of club, ease of travel are legitimate variables once one finds the architecture style one is comfortable with. I can honestly say that is the only knock I have ever heard on Sandhills, Parairie Dunes etc being remotenss and difficulty in getting there. I think in all respect to Greg, the order is a huge, not small, issue on Cabo. I had 40 minutes once and an hour the next in customs and as we all know it is not any better coming back.

Prairie Dunes is a piece of cake, 50 minutes from Wichita and the rental car facility is 100 feet out of the airport's front door.  Granted, it's a direct flight from Chicago and not every airport likely serves ICT directly.  I'm convinced we Chicagoans have the best access to flying, right in the middle of the country and a major hub. 

My definition of a destination club includes gate to first tee in under 2 hours. 

john_stiles

« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2009, 11:56:03 PM »

In the late 90s (1890s that is), when men were men,  Aiken South Carolina was  a  'warm'  weather spot for the northerns.

It was plenty warm in the winter with very few frosts,  perfect for hunting, polo, and golf.  Had great railroad service so you could take your private car, or ship your polo ponies down.

Now it seems to be southern Florida, both coasts,   and they freak out when it gets down into the high 40s.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2009, 12:38:53 AM »
I'd look for the place I could get to fastest where the weather is likely to be acceptable for golf most of the time, and the area is fun to be out and about in.  So, when someone mentioned Charleston S.C., I figured that was just right.  I don't know what the deals are at places like Yeaman's Hall or Bulls Bay, but they'd be high on my list if I were in the market for a membership.  As I understand it, Y.H. has specific seasonal memberships.  And, don't forget CC of Charleston, which is a wonderful course with newly renovated Raynor greens.  The Lion's Mouth 16th is worth the price of admission.  As an old hockey player, a little sweater weather can't be that much of a negative inconvenience for you, can it, eh.  I've been down there in later Jan and had low 70s every day for a few hours in aft.  And, if you are inclined for golf variety besides your second club membership, you have the whole Myrtle Beach managerie right up the road about an hour. 

And, they have the SC Stingrays for fun in the evenings.  They play at the arena just minutes from Y.H. or CCofC.   ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Sean_A

« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2009, 06:53:14 AM »

In the late 90s (1890s that is), when men were men,  Aiken South Carolina was  a  'warm'  weather spot for the northerns.

It was plenty warm in the winter with very few frosts,  perfect for hunting, polo, and golf.  Had great railroad service so you could take your private car, or ship your polo ponies down.

Now it seems to be southern Florida, both coasts,   and they freak out when it gets down into the high 40s.

John

I agree with you.  My favourite weather to play in is a crisp winter's day in a mild climate - call it high 40s to mid 50s.  It seems to me that SC fits the bill perfectly for me.  Plus, I love Charleston.  Its a great walking city with a lot of cool things to stumble on.  I don;t know if YH is looking for members, but that would be a place worth making enquiries about.

Ciao

« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 06:58:49 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Jud_T

« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2009, 08:37:49 AM »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2009, 09:07:32 AM »
Dsilk,

Adam Clayman has it right, you want to join a club where you look forward to repeat play of the golf course.
If you select a quality course you'll enjoy it more, appreciate it more and you'll try to play it more often.
I also like quality courses with good practice facilities as I like to practice

As to fly times, it's about the same, 3 hours, no matter where you fly to in South Florida.

As to Charleston, SC, you'll freeze your ass off in the winter.
You need to go much further south.

And, you're better off staying in the same time zone.

If you're coming from Boston, South Florida is only 3 hours away, allowing for quick, extended weekends of golf.
Fly out Wednesday or Thursday night and fly back home Sunday afternoon.  And, there are plenty of non-stop flights from Boston to cities in South Florida, East and West Coast.

Flying to the West Coast takes all day, not the location you want when you want to play golf for the weekend

Florida clubs are clamoring for members, so now is the optimal time to join.
Just make sure you join a club that's going to be there next year. ;D

Greg Holland

« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2009, 09:09:59 AM »
Pinehurst would be pretty good -- with both public and private options.

Wilmington, NC also has nice weather -- though the golf leans heavily toward private.

Here in the Piedmont Triad, we play year around too -- can get a bit wet and nippy, but still a good spot (with lots of really good public and private golf).

Jud_T

« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2009, 09:24:43 AM »
Dormie club, Pinehurst, with the odd round on the newly renovated #2.....

Kenny Baer

« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2009, 09:55:54 AM »
If you are on the East Coast then Florida, Florida, Florida, Florida; and even North Florida is pushing it.

Pinehurst is too cold; Wilmington is too cold, Piedmont Triad??? I have seen 12 or more inches of snow in Burlington, Raliegh, and Greensboro, more than once.  I have been in Charleston with the temp in the low to mid 30's. 
If it was me then I would not take a chance on a place were the course could literally be closed due to weather.  I have never heard of it being less than 60 in South Florida.  If there was a golf course that I absolutely fell in love with then I would be willing to go as far noth as Orlando. 

The number one choice is Seminole, no doubt.  At least for an East Coast guy.

I can tell you that I am in Atlanta and many members of my club have a warm weather club in South Florida.  Atlanta gets to cold to have as a 2nd course; half of the weekends you would want to come down the weather could potentially be miserable. 

Jud_T

« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2009, 10:00:16 AM »
I've teed off in 39 degree weather in south florida....

Carl Nichols

« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2009, 10:09:03 AM »
What really good clubs are in South Florida, other than Seminole? 

Kenny Baer

« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2009, 10:25:08 AM »
I've teed off in 39 degree weather in south florida....

Ok....? ;)

dsilk

« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2009, 10:29:32 AM »
All,
great stuff- and thank you!
In no particular order....  Tom D: I am pretty sure that there are hockey fans at Seminole (they buy teams) but all the old puckheads seem to congregate at Bear Lakes and Jupiter Hills... ( i dont think i was a good enough hockey player to hang in those lockerrooms :))
RJ :Theres an old saying that the game gets easier, the higher up you move from the ice (a lot of press box all- stars) so if I can get a seat at the Stingrays in Charleston, I will sound like one of those old guys in the balcony on the muppet show....

Seems that consensus is SOVE  (south of vero)

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2009, 10:41:00 AM »
What really good clubs are in South Florida, other than Seminole? 

Pine Tree Golf Club, Jupiter Hills Club and Medalist Golf Club just in the area.  Indian Creek isn't too far south.

Will Smith

« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2009, 10:41:52 AM »
http://golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/usa/chechessee-creek

Chechessee Creek Club-

great golf, great club, decent weather.

I have played in shorts in January and it is very rare that it too cold to play.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back