News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

dsilk

warm weather clubs
« on: October 28, 2009, 10:25:50 AM »
As the new england winter closes in, one cant help but think that perhaps a 2nd golf club down south might be in order- particularly in light of the aggressive stance that clubs are starting to take to attract members. So my question to the treehouse is this.... What criteria would you use to look into a 2nd membership? Direct flights, historical weather patterns, cost, golf course quality etc...  and with that in mind, where would some logical places be? Orlando, Naples, Austin????

Adam Clayman

Re: warm weather clubs
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 10:41:51 AM »
I can't imagine any serious member of this forum would pick anything other than quality of the golf course.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

David Stamm

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 10:46:01 AM »
California, Dave! Our best weather is during the winter. There are alot of quality clubs out here that serve as second clubs for a alot of their members.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Kalen Braley

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 10:50:47 AM »
Dave,

Good to see you kicking around here again.   ;D

Living in Utah, all I could say is if you come here...leave the clubs at home and bring the skis, because the white stuff is powdery, the scenery epic, and the skiing sublime.   ;D

dsilk

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 10:51:14 AM »
Wow!!! been away awhile and the first post/ first reply is a toasting!! Well Adam, I guess I must not a "serious" member since I would weigh travel time, cost and weather along with the quality of the course... but thats just me.

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 10:58:51 AM »
Austin has a lot of great course options, but the weather isn't optimum year round there.  You'd be warmer in Florida, Arizona or even here in Houston.

I would look at all the options you mentioned and maybe consider a place where you can stay on site.

Sean_A

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 11:01:52 AM »
As the new england winter closes in, one cant help but think that perhaps a 2nd golf club down south might be in order- particularly in light of the aggressive stance that clubs are starting to take to attract members. So my question to the treehouse is this.... What criteria would you use to look into a 2nd membership? Direct flights, historical weather patterns, cost, golf course quality etc...  and with that in mind, where would some logical places be? Orlando, Naples, Austin????

Quality is important, but the easiest aspect to work around as there are plenty of quality courses about.  I would think trying to stay in the same time zone and having easy airport access from your home and club (maybe even drivable sometimes) are important.  Cost, including taking into account an honest appraisal of how often the 2nd membership out of state is gonna be used.  Perhaps Miami?  Though I would seriously look into the Charleston SC area because the area offers more than merely golf - which would be very important to me.

If I were going to cross time zones I would look into AZ.

Ciao

New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

jeffwarne

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 11:03:59 AM »
Wow!!! been away awhile and the first post/ first reply is a toasting!! Well Adam, I guess I must not a "serious" member since I would weigh travel time, cost and weather along with the quality of the course... but thats just me.

no doubt what Adam meant to say was "many on this site would opt for the quality of the courses first, then consider other factors ;)"...

As one who is a member of a quality second club that I RARELY GET TO (enjoy the Dixie cup), I would certainly  consider direct flights and time accessed by airports near me, COST, weather at times I'm most likely to visit etc.

Sean,
Miami?
ick
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jud_T

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 11:07:03 AM »
I think Palm Springs has the warmest daytime winter temperatures in the states.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 11:08:47 AM »
Silky:

That will teach you.

Since you and I are in the same time zone, I'd want to stay in this one and find a location not too far from the airport, say 60 minutes or less. My options are limited since Hartford is the closest airport. With you and Logan, you have more to choose from. What about Bermuda? I'm serious.

Anthony

Eric Smith

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2009, 11:14:05 AM »
Being close to a Southwest Airlines city is always a bonus, and they fly out of Logan.  Fairly inexpensive flights and no baggage fees!  Very golf travel friendly.

Plenty of options for quality golf in those warmer SW cities too.

Sean_A

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2009, 11:15:42 AM »

no doubt what Adam meant to say was "many on this site would opt for the quality of the courses first, then consider other factors ;)"...

As one who is a member of a quality second club that I RARELY GET TO (enjoy the Dixie cup), I would certainly  consider direct flights and time accessed by airports near me, COST, weather at times I'm most likely to visit etc.

Sean,
Miami?
ick

Jeff

I kinda like Miami - or I did when I last saw it!

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

hick

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2009, 11:28:48 AM »
Bermuda is a good option from logan as you can get to the island by noon and some of the private courses have non resident memberships. Charleston and Austin are hard to get to from Boston. Arizona is a long flight but you can get a nonstop from boston or providence.

Joel Zuckerman

JC Jones

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2009, 11:36:57 AM »
I can tell you that membership prices arent what they used to be down here in Naples.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2009, 11:50:31 AM »
dsilk,

Length of stay - are you movin' in for awhile, weekending, a week a month, etc.. That ties into:

The Lyin' Eyes test - or- Every Form of Refuge Has Its Price -  do you want to keep going to the same place all winter or would you rather go where the weather and your mood take you?

It may not be far enough south, but a multiple club membership plan like Avestra offers is appealing: http://www.avestra.com/PDF/MembershipDescription12Jun09.pdf 
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 11:55:26 AM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Bill_McBride

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2009, 11:51:51 AM »
Mountain Lake is hard to beat, and there are already several GCA members who are non-resident members.

http://golfclubatlas.com/in-my-opinion/mike-sweeney-blending-old-and-new-in-renovating-a-classic

Adam Clayman

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2009, 12:08:05 PM »

Toasting? My post was never about you.

You asked US what we think. You don't like the answer and now you make it, and take it, all personal.

Well, we can play that game.

Ever hear of Mountain Lake? Or, do you already have buddies that are members there?

Sugarloaf?

Thanx Jeff.

Travel times and distances are relative. If one is going to go south for the winter, would one only go for the weekend? Even long weekends would justify the extra time and hassles if the course were of quality and one wants value for their initiation dollar.

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Rob_Waldron

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2009, 12:15:39 PM »
If it is warm weather in the winter that you desire head to south Florida. Actually any place south of the southern tip of Lake Okeechobee gets you into the tropical climate (read WARM). Take your preference of either coast. I have tracked the weather over the years comparing it to SoCal and Phoenix and came to the conclusion that south Florida consistently has the best golfing weather in the US from December through March.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2009, 01:05:02 PM »
The weather here in southern Florida is great and the deals for golf and housing, rentals or purchases are unbelieveably inexpensive!!!!!
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tim Leahy

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2009, 01:11:58 PM »
Palm Springs-Stone Eagle
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Jud_T

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2009, 01:36:57 PM »
tim,

my thoughts exactly.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

David Kelly

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2009, 01:49:46 PM »
The weather here in southern Florida is great and the deals for golf and housing, rentals or purchases are unbelieveably inexpensive!!!!!

Yes, because it's there.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

john_stiles

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2009, 01:52:36 PM »
Ditto what Joel Z mentioned.  Seccession is a warm weather 'club' for numerous northern members.

Paintings of the many 'home' clubs are placed in the stairwells at each end of the clubhouse.

Number of local members is limited (or used to be anyway).

JC Jones

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2009, 02:00:21 PM »
Mountain Lake is hard to beat, and there are already several GCA members who are non-resident members.

http://golfclubatlas.com/in-my-opinion/mike-sweeney-blending-old-and-new-in-renovating-a-classic

I didn't realize ML was that accessible.  That probably explains why the Pro hasn't gotten back to me about the letter I sent asking to see the course.  He probably thought I was NUTS ;D
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back