News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Alex Miller

The Greatest Decade Ever- Jack or Tiger?
« on: October 27, 2009, 08:11:23 PM »
Browsing the internet today I came across Jack's wikipedia page. Looking at the 1970s, Jack won 8 majors, had 22 top 3s!!! and came remarkably close to what we call the "Tiger" slam by winning the '71 PGA, the '72 Masters and U.S. Open, and finishing second in the British that year.

Comparing this to Tiger's 2000s, Tiger won 12 majors!, 19 top 3s, and did complete the Tiger slam. He also had another stretch from the '06 British to the '07 U.S. Open where he went 1-1-2-2 in those majors.

I am aware that I've only added info on Major championships so please add whatever accurate info you can. The level of competition each man faced can be debated as well. I was not alive while Jack was doing his thing and would also love to hear personal thoughts and reactions to some of Jack's wins. (I certainly remember the 2000 U.S. Open and 2008 U.S. Open)

I really respect Jack for all of his accomplishments, but it's hard to see one side of history and compare it to (what amounts to be, for me anyways) folklore...

Also I realize a topic similar to this has been posted before, but I am not wondering if Tiger will someday be considered the greatest, I'm comparing what will likely be their greatest decades. :)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 08:13:12 PM by Alex Miller »

Mac Plumart

Re: The Greatest Decade Ever- Jack or Tiger?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 08:48:55 PM »
Alex…

Best decade between Jack and Tiger?

Tough call right now.  Tiger explodes on the scene in 1997 and DOMINATES for 12 years.  14 majors, 71 PGA wins.

Jack’s first burst 1962-1975…14 majors and 58 PGA Tour wins (I think that # is right).

I guess I would go with Tiger…but it is pretty much a tie.

However, don’t sleep on Bobby Jones.  I think he is the best ever.  From 1922-1930, he won 13 majors.  Including all 4 of the majors of his day in 1930…the only calendar year grand slam ever completed to date.  Then at age 28 right after sweeping the majors, he retires from competitive golf. 

Also, Ben Hogan.  Oh my God!!!  This guy seriously blows me away!!  Wins the 1946 PGA and 1948 US Open and PGA, then almost dies in a car wreck in 1949.  Seriously, almost DIES!!!!  Doctors say he will never walk again and certainly will never play golf again.  But Mr. Hogan guts it out, wraps his legs and limps around the course…enters the 1950 US Open and freakin’ wins it!!!!!  Oh yeah, and then in 1953 he enters only 3 majors (Masters, US Open, and British Open) and wins them all!!!!!  Amazing!  And deserves to be mentioned as one of most amazing periods of time in competitive golfing history.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

R.S._Barker

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 08:59:26 PM »
Excluding Tiger's last major of 2009**

Jack:
1st: 18
2nd: 19
3rd:  9
4th:  7
5th:  2
Top 5:  57
Top 10: 73

11 consecutive Top  5's British Open
15 consecutive top 10's British Open
10 consecutive top 10's Masters
 6 consecutive top 10's U.S. Open
 5 consecutive top  5's PGA

10 Consecutive top 10's Master's & British Open 1970's
36 times out of 40 majors in the 70's he finished in the top 10
33 Consecutive Top 13 finishes

13 consecutive Top 10 Major finishes

163 Total starts .4478 Top 3: .658

Tiger:
1st: 14
2nd:  5
3rd:  3
4th:  2
5th:  1
Top 5:  25
Top 10: 30

53 Total starts .566 Top 3: .415

4 consecutive top 10's British Open
5 consecutive top 10's Masters
2 consecutive top 10's U.S. Open
3 consecutive top 10's PGA

8 consecutive Top 10 Major finishes

Mac Plumart

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 09:01:09 PM »
RS...so who's your pick?

R.S._Barker

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 09:06:22 PM »
Marc,

When I throw in the golfers of Jacks era whom won majors, that really is the determining factor.

David_Tepper

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 09:34:25 PM »
The premise of Alex Miller's thread is best decade, not career or "eras" or periods beyond the two decades specified.

Tiger's performance is clearly more dominant. It would certainly be interesting to compare total wins and % of tournaments entered & won over those two 10-year periods. My guess is Tiger's stats would be even more impressive.  

Mac Plumart

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 09:39:58 PM »
David...

I understand the premise of his question is what is the best decade...but to derive the actual numbers to make an accurate determination of the answer would require math.  And it was my understanding that this site frowned on the use of mathematics.  Therefore, I just went with the numbers I had handy. :)

And to further muddy the waters and detract away from the original post, I threw in Jones and Hogan.  

Come to think of it, I totally FUBAR'd Alex's post.

Sorry, Alex...but I live in Atlanta and I had to pump Jones...and my legs don't work really well, so I had to throw in Hogan as he is my hero.

Sorry, seriously!

R.S._Barker

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 09:40:35 PM »
When Tiger puts up #'s equivalent and consistent to what Jack did in the 70's in majors - come talk to me.

Alex Miller

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 09:44:29 PM »
R.S.

They ARE equivalent! or at least debatable. That's the point of this thread. Tiger has more combined majors and top-3s (31) than Jack does (30). I'm talking to you... :D

V. Kmetz

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 10:05:09 PM »
Tiger has the raw data by a head...will probably have all the hardware he wants and/or what the public expects, but what is not weighted enough this debate is the class of competition each faced during their premium decade.

Think what Nicklaus' trophy case would look like if it weren't for Watson and Trevino, just to name a specific duo, and I could throw in Gary Player if I wanted to be prickly, though I can't remember Nicklaus' standing in the 68 British and 74 Masters.

Nicklaus was gut-thrusted several times by the other two and only got one gift - Doug Sanders in 70' Open

cheers

vk

"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

jeffwarne

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 10:06:37 PM »
When Tiger puts up #'s equivalent and consistent to what Jack did in the 70's in majors - come talk to me.

So if Tiger had lost 4 of the twelve majors he won in that decade (and finished second or third)-he'd be better?
C'mon-Jack was awesome-and so far is the greatest (with Tiger gaining fast), but Tiger had the better decade.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Alex Miller

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2009, 10:12:05 PM »
Tiger has the raw data by a head...will probably have all the hardware he wants and/or what the public expects, but what is not weighted enough this debate is the class of competition each faced during their premium decade.

Think what Nicklaus' trophy case would look like if it weren't for Watson and Trevino, just to name a specific duo, and I could throw in Gary Player if I wanted to be prickly, though I can't remember Nicklaus' standing in the 68 British and 74 Masters.

Nicklaus was gut-thrusted several times by the other two and only got one gift - Doug Sanders in 70' Open

cheers

vk

A good point, but not valid yet. The reason we can debate who had the best decade is because we have all the data from the timespan. Although Jack had great competition from Hall of Fame golfers, Tiger still has Phil, who might end up with numbers similar to Palmer or Player when all is said and done. Throw in Vijay, Furyk, and many many others and Tiger's competition doesn't seem so bad.

V. Kmetz

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2009, 11:21:15 PM »
Phil, Vijay, Furyk, Goosen, Els, Love III... Hall of Fame golfers though they be - NEVER took any bread from Tiger's mouth.  They won on weekends where Tiger was not directly in the hunt, and they almost completely wilt out of notice when he is.  Only Phil has ever bested Tiger in a major (05 PGA) when Tiger was close You know the only people Tiger loses to: YE Yang, Rich Beem, Michael Campbell, Tim Clark.  Those Hall of Famers can't look tiger in the eye.

If that were true for Nicklaus vis a vis Trevino and Watson...tiger might have to get to 23 or 24 majors to tie the mark.

I think while it's pretty reasonable to say that Tiger has the clear hardware edge and game-changing presence, Nicklaus was the best of a better class of golfer, one that was deeper with more fine championship-caliber players relative to the orbit of that era's "sun."

cheers

vk
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Mike Wagner

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2009, 11:35:11 PM »
It boggles my mind when I read someone saying that the players of Jack's years were better than those of today.  It is FAR more difficult to win on the PGA Tour today than it was back then, which makes Woods' achievements all the better.

People compare three or four players in Jack's era, saying they were great champions...yadda, yadda.....YES, they were...no doubt.  There are 50 times the number of players that can win out there every week, and the top players have every bit of talent the guys had back then. 

Bottom line is there were a handful of guys 40 years ago that were awesome, and now there's 200 - that simple.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2009, 11:52:34 PM »
i love Jack, but Mike Wagner nailed it. The fields that Tiger competes with are SOOOO much better than the ones that Jack competed against. There are probably 50 to 75 guys in each major now with the game to win if their putter gets hot, and I would say there were 10-20 such threats to Jack.

V. Kmetz

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2009, 03:48:04 AM »
Bill and Mike.

I feel my mood turn emotionally dark as I read both of your last comments, but I will do my best to remain respectful, because this is a nice board and I am honored to be a guest.

The "tone" of your comparisons between Tiger's and Jacks peer competition is more irksome than anything.

1.  On what do you base, data-wise or factually, this quantum "SOOOOOO" much better difference in quantity or quality of today's top tournament players than that of the 1970s, thus making it "more difficult to win for Tiger"?  Is it scoring average, records set to par, number of different winners to tournaments played, distances the ball is hit, sand saves, GIR, putting stats?  I'm not laying a trap for you - I just don't know the numbers or the basis for this awesome property of "betterness" you ascribe to today's fields.

2.  I think the comments by both of you regarding the limited depth of potential winners in Nicklaus era are not well-considered, not when it comes to championship level players.  The 70s second fiddles were not limited to Trevino, Watson and Player (tell me now that  the recent undercard cream of Mickelson, Harrington and Cabrera are going to have more hardware and honor than the 70s trio)  I have Irwin, Floyd, Miller David Graham and Dave Stockton.  And you have Els, Goosen, Singh (who's window is closing to add to their total) and O' Meara (window closed).  How about fly-by-night winners indicating "they're-so- good-that-anybody-can-win-aspect" of championship field depth (you know, good career golfers that you know are only going to win one and only major)?  I've got Tony Jacklin, Tommy Aaron, Charles Coody, , Lou Graham, John Mahaffey, and Bill Rogers.  In Tiger's time? Justin Leonard, Shaun Micheel, Michael Campbell, David Toms, Paul Lawrie, Ben Curtis, Todd Hamilton, Yang.  I'm willing to say that Furyk, Oglivy, Weir, Immelman, Cink, Rich Beem, Zack Johnson, Glover,  have more majors in their future, if you are willing to concede that during 70s era you could have said the same for Lanny Wadkins, ,Tom Weiskopf, Seve Ballesteros, Fuzzy Zoeller, Jerry Pate, Hubert Green and Andy North. 

Just like Tiger has had to stare down fields including declining champions trying for one more surge like Couples, Love III, Sutton so too did Jack in the 70s with names like Littler, Casper, Geiberger, January - all of whom factored in majors that Nicklaus was a factor/winner.   If you count Watson's performance this year as "even a super-senior still gives this field incredible veteran depth" consider that Sam Snead finished T-3, T-9, T-4 in consecutive PGAs at ages 60,61 and 62 from 1972-74.  Sure there's guys with incredible talent who are mostly young and haven't broke through in majors...Stricker, Villegas, O' Hair, Gay, McIroy, Garcia, but don't forget about Ben Crenshaw, Curtis Strange, Tom Kite, Larry Nelson and Craig Stadler, all future major winners who were young and were factoring in competition while Nicklaus reigned. And not all of them are going to pan out as Bruce Crampton, Gil Morgan, Bill Kratzert, Tom Purtzer, Bruce Devlin did not capture majors.  There's a score or more of other lesser names that also compare favorably...For every Bubba Watson there's an Andy Bean, for every Heath Slocum, there's a Keith Fergus.  Oh....I forgot one for Tiger...Kenny Perry.  And it's only then that I bring up Palmer.  I hope in all these comprehensive names on both sides of the ledger, the sense of "equanimity" leaks though.

SUMMATION:

A.  Even not knowing the numbers in the least, when you consider the revolution in technology of the ball, the iron, the driver, the hybrid, instruction, facility for practice and maintenance of golf courses, I can't see how the raw data of championship performances would ever yield a sensible comparison in terms of one tiger's field being "SOOOOOO" much better than Jack's field; I'll bet it doesn't anyway, but even if it did - that would not speak convincingly about differences in the competition.  What does it matter if Nicklaus won the Vardon trophy by 2 shots more and only a smidge better than the next guy while Tiger wins it by a full shot over his competition with a raw average lower by the same two shots?  If anything it makes MY point, there was a tighter cluster around Nicklaus and still he was first or second in a major so many times.  Much more the environment for a hot putter

B.  Player, Watson, Trevino (23 Majors total...12 during the 1970s) vs Mickelson, Harrington and Cabrera (8 total, all during the 2000s).  even if we give them a generous three more apiece, they have been 4 short in the measured decade and would be 6 short of the Nicklaus foes.

C.  As I hope my bullet #2 exhaustingly demonstrated, all classes of the undercard have (or had, in the case of the 1970s) a healthy class of elite champion golfers, elite tournament golfers who captured a single championship and a number of guys with promise who either would deliver or (in the case of pending future results - "may") never deliver a major crown.  They both faced sage, wily veterans and had to fend off wildly, talented big sticks who could threaten on any given weekend.  There is no palpable difference when you throw yourself into the times.

My original post then - that boggled some - is now more fully explained. Because of the general field parallels in 1970s to the 2000s, the deciding factor was that the top cream that fought Nicklaus was appreciably more accomplished and a greater thorn in Jack's side than these guys are to Tiger - especially when you consider that any of the first two levels have an unfavorable record when facing down Tiger H2H or when he is at or near the leaderboard - but i thought his 14-1 major record when leading after 3 rounds was proof enough, as were his oft-record smashing margins of victory.   Of course that is to Tiger's credit, but it also must say something about the competition as compared to Nicklaus, who had to claw out and suffer wounds for so high and seasoned were his main competition.

I acknowledge and re-iterate for the record that Tiger (imo) had the better decade by a head, but you cannot say it came from a greater challenge from his contemporaries.  Tiger challenges himself to be as supreme a golfer as he is.  Many have wilted before him and so he has to generate the competitive drive within himself, not as provoked by the field.  For all his feats, trophies and honors, I think some of Tiger's best golf was provoked by Rich Beem and Michael Campbell...in losing efforts.

Cheers

VK

jeffwarne

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2009, 08:29:23 AM »
Bill and Mike.

I feel my mood turn emotionally dark as I read both of your last comments, but I will do my best to remain respectful, because this is a nice board and I am honored to be a guest.

The "tone" of your comparisons between Tiger's and Jacks peer competition is more irksome than anything.

1.  On what do you base, data-wise or factually, this quantum "SOOOOOO" much better difference in quantity or quality of today's top tournament players than that of the 1970s, thus making it "more difficult to win for Tiger"?  Is it scoring average, records set to par, number of different winners to tournaments played, distances the ball is hit, sand saves, GIR, putting stats?  I'm not laying a trap for you - I just don't know the numbers or the basis for this awesome property of "betterness" you ascribe to today's fields.

2.  I think the comments by both of you regarding the limited depth of potential winners in Nicklaus era are not well-considered, not when it comes to championship level players.  The 70s second fiddles were not limited to Trevino, Watson and Player (tell me now that  the recent undercard cream of Mickelson, Harrington and Cabrera are going to have more hardware and honor than the 70s trio)  I have Irwin, Floyd, Miller David Graham and Dave Stockton.  And you have Els, Goosen, Singh (who's window is closing to add to their total) and O' Meara (window closed).  How about fly-by-night winners indicating "they're-so- good-that-anybody-can-win-aspect" of championship field depth (you know, good career golfers that you know are only going to win one and only major)?  I've got Tony Jacklin, Tommy Aaron, Charles Coody, , Lou Graham, John Mahaffey, and Bill Rogers.  In Tiger's time? Justin Leonard, Shaun Micheel, Michael Campbell, David Toms, Paul Lawrie, Ben Curtis, Todd Hamilton, Yang.  I'm willing to say that Furyk, Oglivy, Weir, Immelman, Cink, Rich Beem, Zack Johnson, Glover,  have more majors in their future, if you are willing to concede that during 70s era you could have said the same for Lanny Wadkins, ,Tom Weiskopf, Seve Ballesteros, Fuzzy Zoeller, Jerry Pate, Hubert Green and Andy North. 

Just like Tiger has had to stare down fields including declining champions trying for one more surge like Couples, Love III, Sutton so too did Jack in the 70s with names like Littler, Casper, Geiberger, January - all of whom factored in majors that Nicklaus was a factor/winner.   If you count Watson's performance this year as "even a super-senior still gives this field incredible veteran depth" consider that Sam Snead finished T-3, T-9, T-4 in consecutive PGAs at ages 60,61 and 62 from 1972-74.  Sure there's guys with incredible talent who are mostly young and haven't broke through in majors...Stricker, Villegas, O' Hair, Gay, McIroy, Garcia, but don't forget about Ben Crenshaw, Curtis Strange, Tom Kite, Larry Nelson and Craig Stadler, all future major winners who were young and were factoring in competition while Nicklaus reigned. And not all of them are going to pan out as Bruce Crampton, Gil Morgan, Bill Kratzert, Tom Purtzer, Bruce Devlin did not capture majors.  There's a score or more of other lesser names that also compare favorably...For every Bubba Watson there's an Andy Bean, for every Heath Slocum, there's a Keith Fergus.  Oh....I forgot one for Tiger...Kenny Perry.  And it's only then that I bring up Palmer.  I hope in all these comprehensive names on both sides of the ledger, the sense of "equanimity" leaks though.

SUMMATION:

A.  Even not knowing the numbers in the least, when you consider the revolution in technology of the ball, the iron, the driver, the hybrid, instruction, facility for practice and maintenance of golf courses, I can't see how the raw data of championship performances would ever yield a sensible comparison in terms of one tiger's field being "SOOOOOO" much better than Jack's field; I'll bet it doesn't anyway, but even if it did - that would not speak convincingly about differences in the competition.  What does it matter if Nicklaus won the Vardon trophy by 2 shots more and only a smidge better than the next guy while Tiger wins it by a full shot over his competition with a raw average lower by the same two shots?  If anything it makes MY point, there was a tighter cluster around Nicklaus and still he was first or second in a major so many times.  Much more the environment for a hot putter

B.  Player, Watson, Trevino (23 Majors total...12 during the 1970s) vs Mickelson, Harrington and Cabrera (8 total, all during the 2000s).  even if we give them a generous three more apiece, they have been 4 short in the measured decade and would be 6 short of the Nicklaus foes.

C.  As I hope my bullet #2 exhaustingly demonstrated, all classes of the undercard have (or had, in the case of the 1970s) a healthy class of elite champion golfers, elite tournament golfers who captured a single championship and a number of guys with promise who either would deliver or (in the case of pending future results - "may") never deliver a major crown.  They both faced sage, wily veterans and had to fend off wildly, talented big sticks who could threaten on any given weekend.  There is no palpable difference when you throw yourself into the times.

My original post then - that boggled some - is now more fully explained. Because of the general field parallels in 1970s to the 2000s, the deciding factor was that the top cream that fought Nicklaus was appreciably more accomplished and a greater thorn in Jack's side than these guys are to Tiger - especially when you consider that any of the first two levels have an unfavorable record when facing down Tiger H2H or when he is at or near the leaderboard - but i thought his 14-1 major record when leading after 3 rounds was proof enough, as were his oft-record smashing margins of victory.   Of course that is to Tiger's credit, but it also must say something about the competition as compared to Nicklaus, who had to claw out and suffer wounds for so high and seasoned were his main competition.

I acknowledge and re-iterate for the record that Tiger (imo) had the better decade by a head, but you cannot say it came from a greater challenge from his contemporaries.  Tiger challenges himself to be as supreme a golfer as he is.  Many have wilted before him and so he has to generate the competitive drive within himself, not as provoked by the field.  For all his feats, trophies and honors, I think some of Tiger's best golf was provoked by Rich Beem and Michael Campbell...in losing efforts.

Cheers

VK

V. Kmetz,
So basically, the fact that Jack didn't blow away the field as often as Tiger, and finished second or third, elevates his peers to worthy contenders?
Jack, Gary,Trevino,Watson all knew they'd be in the hunt due to their talent and knowledge that half the field couldn't hold a candle to them. (that is when the other half of the field wasn't running back to their club pro jobs)
They were also aided by the fact that many players were Monday qualifying (which is draining) and then playing to make the cut in order to be exempt the next week (a different strategy).
The elite players then played aggressively to win every week, as do almost all players now.

Using your logic, if Tiger folded more and Phil, Vijay, and a couple others had more majors, Tiger would be better based on "better competition" ??? ??? ???

IMHO Tiger is not given his due because even on his WORST weeks,he's still on TV hitting it sideways (and usually contending) , and stays close due to tenacity and an incredible short game-that's how he stays near/in the top 10 even when he's off.

IMHO Jack stayed near/in the Top 10 when he was not at his best because he was a great driver(rarely in trouble), a great lag and clutch putter, AND because the top 10 is much more easy to reach when 1/2 the field can't win.
Just look at the difference between first place and last in a Tour event today vs. 1972(as well as the cut#'s)

Players can come from off two or three different tours and win now as well.
How many winners on the PGA Tour came from the Asian,European, Nationwide, or Japanese Tour in 1972?
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Kalen Braley

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2009, 09:32:33 AM »
These comparisons always fall short because Tigers career and more importantly his competitors careers are still in full swing.

In 20 years from now, when Tigers' competitors career totals are compiled, I suspect they will look a lot better.....

As for me, I tend to believe the theory that Tigers competition is far superior to what Jack faced for most of his career. Which makes it all the more impressive that he is putting up these numbers by having to face a full field of players who could potentially win any given weekend vs. just a handful that Jack had to battle it out with.

Mike Wagner

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2009, 12:01:56 PM »
V,

Yes, the "tone" and all the other stuff used to make my blood boil as well - I understand - especially the "who's the best" threads.

This one's pretty simple:  Jack's era - few who could win.  Tiger's era - 20-30 times that # any given week. 

Your point (B) proves the point.  It's also MUCH, MUCH harder for the other top players to win because the fields are so DEEP - precisely why you see names like Shaun Micheel, Y.E. Yang, Lucas Glover, etc, etc., etc. winning majors. 

Tom Birkert

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2009, 12:28:04 PM »
Tiger holds the scoring records in all 4 Majors.

Tiger won the US Open by 15 shots.

Tiger won The Masters by 12 shots.

Tiger won the US Open on a broken leg.

Tiger wins at a greater percentage, and he only plays in the events with the better fields (witness his ridiculous win percentage in the WGC events).

Tiger won all four Majors back to back.

The only thing Jack has over Tiger, in my opinion, is longevity.

tlavin

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2009, 02:07:08 PM »
i love Jack, but Mike Wagner nailed it. The fields that Tiger competes with are SOOOO much better than the ones that Jack competed against. There are probably 50 to 75 guys in each major now with the game to win if their putter gets hot, and I would say there were 10-20 such threats to Jack.

I don't see it that way.  Maybe on an overall basis, the players of Woods' era are better, with a "deeper" field, but I certainly think that Nicklaus had a number of consistent challengers who were high achievers.  Tiger's challengers are episodic and inconsistent.  Mickelson is a great player, but he has seldom challenged Tiger.  After him, who is there?  Nicklaus had Palmer, Player, Trevino, Weiskopf, Miller, Watson, Green and a host of others.

To me, the jury is still out on whether Tiger still has the chance to be as great as Nicklaus.  He has all the tools and he certainly is well on his way, but to me, anyway, he's still chasing Nicklaus in many respects.

Jud_T

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2009, 02:10:01 PM »
It's not even close when you compare the depths of the fields in Jack's day vs. today.  Tiger by a country mile.....
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

jeffwarne

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2009, 03:20:35 PM »

I don't see it that way.  Maybe on an overall basis, the players of Woods' era are better, with a "deeper" field, but I certainly think that Nicklaus had a number of consistent challengers who were high achievers.  Tiger's challengers are episodic and inconsistent.  Mickelson is a great player, but he has seldom challenged Tiger.  After him, who is there?  Nicklaus had Palmer, Player, Trevino, Weiskopf, Miller, Watson, Green and a host of others.

To me, the jury is still out on whether Tiger still has the chance to be as great as Nicklaus.  He has all the tools and he certainly is well on his way, but to me, anyway, he's still chasing Nicklaus in many respects.

Palmer won his last major in 1964, Jack's sophomore year-nuff said (please don't mention him in a debate about the player of the 70's)
Can you please tell me why Weiskopf would be a more worthy adversary than Michelson, Couples, Lehman, Singh,  Goosen, Leonard?
Green? (any better than the above mentioned?)
I'm with you on  Player (great) Watson (great)
Miller? why not Andy North and way less painful to watch and listen to ;)? (same amount of majors-tied with Daly)

Did it ever occur to anyone there are less major winners challenging Tiger because there are less majors available to win after Tiger takes his share for a field with at least 125 players capable of winning? (or second place if Tiger's playing)
Do you guys watch TV-it's a weekly highlight show when Tiger plays-and I missed very little of Jack in his prime (he was great, if not the greatest, but let's give Tiger his due)

Put another way do Tiger's 12 and 15 shot wins in majors make him less worthy because no one challenged him? ??? ???

V. Kmetz

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2009, 06:07:06 PM »
where's Ben Crenshaw when I need him?  Ben, if you're out there in the GCA site orbit, come on in!

First of all, so it doesn't have to be cited or defended by anyone I AGREE that Tiger had the better decade - by a head.  Some of you have leaked in this insinuation that I am denying Tiger Woods greatness in comparison to Jack.  No, no, no, no, my mind is completely unresolved and am still researching previous eras to come up with that final opinion.  Right now, I'm still giving it to Bobby Jones. I am merely focusing on one aspect of that debate, the era and relative merits of competition.  And I am denying your collective assertion that

fellows

I went pound for pound, player for player, peer champion to peer champion over the factual record of both decades (which are both over now) and still these wild generalizations come off your keyboard: "half the field knew they had no chance to win".... "Jack's era: few could win, Tiger's era: 20-30x that #" ..."a full field of players who could potentially win any given weekend vs. just a handful that Jack had to battle it out with." Why do you guys insist on and revert back to an eye-test when there is factual data that says the opposite:

In the order I cited and compared them:  

Why are...

Trevino, Watson, Player, Irwin, Floyd, Miller, Stockton, Jacklin, Tommy Aaron, Charles Coody,  Lou Graham, John Mahaffey, Bill Rogers, Lanny Wadkins, ,Tom Weiskopf, Seve Ballesteros, Fuzzy Zoeller, Jerry Pate, Hubert Green, Andy North, Littler, Casper, Geiberger, January, Ben Crenshaw, Curtis Strange, Tom Kite, Larry Nelson, Craig Stadler, Bruce Crampton, Gil Morgan, Bill Kratzert, Tom Purtzer, Bruce Devlin, Andy Bean, Keith Fergus

...representative of a lesser contending field than...

Mickelson, Harrington, Cabrera, Els, Singh, Goosen, O' Meara, Justin Leonard, Shaun Micheel, Michael Campbell, David Toms, Paul Lawrie, Ben Curtis, Todd Hamilton, Yang,  Furyk, Oglivy, Weir, Immelman, Cink, Rich Beem, Zack Johnson, Glover, Stricker, Villegas, O' Hair, Gay, McIroy, Garcia, Ch. Campbell, Slocum, Couples, Love III, Sutton, Watney, C DiMarco, N Green

??????

Who am I missing from either era?...I've given credence to both sides regarding former multiple champions, one-time champions, nobody major champions, guys who did (or in the case of Tiger's peers "likely to) go on to win and guys who were thought close but did not (in the case of Tiger's team "may not")

If you want to comapre the depth of Eur-Asian fields - don't get crazy about Poulter, Westwood, Choi, Katayama, Sabbatini Adam Scott et al because the end of the 70s was the dawn of the first Eur-Asian fields to play regualrly here as well - Faldo, Langher, Lyle, Aoki, Price, Norman - guys that, like tiger's Eur-Asian horizon, had done very little in the measured decade, but would factor in Nicklaus' eventual numbers, as I expect Tiger's to do to him .

Where's all this superior depth and quality of today's field versus Jacks?  Where is it, that can't be countered with a similar, if not superior dynamic from Nicklaus' era?

To JW specifically on your quote:
Palmer won his last major in 1964, Jack's sophomore year-nuff said (please don't mention him in a debate about the player of the 70's)
Can you please tell me why Weiskopf would be a more worthy adversary than Michelson, Couples, Lehman, Singh,  Goosen, Leonard?
Green? (any better than the above mentioned?)
I'm with you on  Player (great) Watson (great)

Palmer had seven Top 10s out of 16 Majors between 1970-73 including a runner-up and two T-3s. He was done winning, but he was not done competing.  Still I barely cited him in my original argument(s).
Why must I have Tom Weiskopf and Hubert Green take on the whole cream of Tiger's competition, why can't I have Trevino, Irwin, Floyd, Stockton, Casper and David Graham join in the fun?  Those guys' major hardware blows away Tiger's group and you already acknowledge that Player and Watson are above this fray - at least in the measured decade.

The field scoring records, relationship to 72 and cut numbers (no one's yet produced them but cited them as fact) are not and would not be compelling due to the impossibility of measuring the precise difference in Tiger's technology versus Jack's era.  When one of those modern guys does his -8 in a 6700 yard, soft greens major with balata and persimmon, we can start to speak of the relevancy of scoring records and cut numbers.  I would never retroactively force you to make the postulation, so don't make me postulate proactively and guess at what could be done by the 70s elite championship fields with modern equipment.

Until you demonstrate otherwise that the depth is noticeably better, than we must revert to the top contenders:  there, Jack MUST have it.  The decades are over and the results are in...MORE major championships than Tiger's opponents.  The future doesn't matter because we're tabulating decades that are complete.  If you are going to shift and extend beyond a measured decade and go into the future battles that Woods may have, then I get to count items from either before or after Nicklaus' era too.  There, we STILL have Trevino, Player, Palmer (whom I don't even count in the main 70s debate) Casper, Devicenzo, Boros, Venturi, and if we go later with Jack, we get Norman, Faldo, Price, Lyle, Langher

Many of you use Jack's runner-ups (his closeness to a contending field) and Tiger's winning records (his distance from the field) to pad your contention that the players of today offer a far greater challenge, but if we agree that there is but a whisper between these legends  couldn't the reverse be true, because this speaks of the difference of the player to his competition, not the quality of that competition?  

How come it's Tiger's greatness that he has won majors by enormous margins, and not the shame of a field to fall behind so far?  When did Tiger ever set a record performance  by besting an opponent who was setting the record himself? Or making three birdies in three holes himself?  Jack faced these hurdles in assembling his own record and provoked much better play, and a slightly better record for those who did battle with him.  

Do you recall or will you research where Watson, Player, Trevino, Irwin, and Floyd are seen throwing away tournaments like Tiger's top competition has done, with or without the principal (Woods or Nicklaus) involved?  Mickelson may be the biggest choker who ever lived over the last four holes of a major (at least Norman had some guys perform magic against him)  Els has faded and choked, Goosen and Singh completely dissappear, Garcia can't putt, Harrington won 66% of his majors without tiger in the field, WF 06, Shinney 04, Carnoustie 99 and 07,  ohhhhhhhh...what's the point in going on.

Cheers

vk

Kalen Braley

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2009, 06:55:26 PM »
I did some fact checking for Jacks Decade - 1970s, and Tigers Decade - 2000s.  Believe it or not, the differences aren't so big afterall, as a matter of fact they are pretty similar..

1)  In the 70s, there were just as many major winners as the 00s...22.
2)  While Jack had 6 competitors who had more than one major win in the 70s, Tiger had 5 competitors with more than one win.
3)  The top 7 major winners of both the 70s and 00s had exactly the same amount of major wins....25 of 40.

Based on these facts, its seems these two decades are far more similar than we thought.  The only large discrepency I could find is Tigers 12 wins, to Jacks 8.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back