News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Leahy

Re: The Largest Green
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2010, 02:27:24 PM »
Biggest green I have seen is par 3 #14 at Desert Falls CC in Palm Springs, shaped like a big Y  it is like three greens in one and must be at least 60 yds from one end to the other.

http://www.golflink.com/golf-courses/course.aspx?course=64734
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2010, 03:07:02 PM »
How large is the 18th green at Whistling Straits?

WW

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2010, 03:09:19 PM »

WW

Probably ~20,000 sq ft

Kevin Cahoon

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2010, 03:11:01 PM »

WW

The course description says it is over 18,000 sq feet.

Mike Policano

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2010, 03:58:43 PM »
The last time I was at the European Club, Pat Ruddy told me the 12th green is 127 yards long.  He said it was the longest in the British Isles.  He said he had visited St. Andrew's and measured the largest double greens and made the 12th a few yards longer than the longest at St. Andrew's.  I suspect the square footage is well in excess of 20,000 since the green only has to be 17 yards wide to be 20,000.

Mike Cirba

« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2010, 04:26:08 PM »
In high school we sometimes played at a course called Lords Valley, near Hawley, PA, designed by Norman Woods and opened in 1963.

The 7th green at the time was the biggest thing I'd ever seen in my life, and in my memory, that green just HAD to be 100 yards long!   :o

Today, I went back to Lords Valley via Google Earth and found the 7th green...it was big alright, but only about 46 or so yards from front to back.

Must be the changing mowing patterns...   :-\ ;)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2010, 04:48:42 PM »
How big is the 9th green at Oakmont? 

Yes, including the putting green that makes up the back half!

That is one big green, maybe 18,000 SF?

Doug Ralston

« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2010, 05:19:44 PM »
The 18th green at Lassing Pointe in Union, Kentucky is 101 yards deep, not sure about the square footage.

The 18th green at The Bridges in San Ramon, CA is 85 yards deep, not sure about the square footage on that one either but it does seem wider than Lassing Pointe's 18th.

This green is indeed 101yds long, and from the center of the fairway you cross a creek/pond. It is closer on the right and moves diagonally away leftwards. Result is, depending on the pin placement, you may play a wedge to a 3-iron approach from the given lie. It is a fun finale to a nice course.

I would guess it averages about 70ft wide, being, of course, wider at the left/longer end. It is not extreme but, depending again of pin placement, you can have a fair amount of movement. Good stuff.

Doug
Where is everybody? Where is Tommy N? Where is John K? Where is Jay F? What has happened here? Has my absence caused this chaos? I'm sorry. All my rowdy friends have settled down ......... somewhere else!

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2010, 06:16:33 PM »
Years ago, Forsgate boasted the largest green in the U.S.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2010, 10:25:07 PM »
There's a green at The International- Pines course in MA that is probably 80 yards from front to back, and 30 from side to side...that makes 21,600 sq. feet...
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2010, 12:27:12 AM »
The European Club #12

Tom Birkert

« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2010, 04:13:24 AM »
I believe The Montgomerie course in Dubai might have the biggest green in golf. Their 13th hole, a par 3, has a green shaped like the UAE.

The green is circa 58,000 square feet.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2010, 04:16:14 AM »
Tom - I've played that green and it is crazy, the hole has a 360 tee which is hundreds of yards long as well.
Cave Nil Vino

Gary Slatter

« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2010, 08:17:12 AM »
The Old Course is the largest "green" in golf when the conditions are perfect (a dry August).  The whole course (the green) runs around 10.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2010, 08:39:39 AM »
Old Macdonald has the biggest greens collectively, but I don't think any one of them is a contender for the single biggest ... although I never heard how big #18 turned out to be.  I think Old Macdonald has the 4 or 5 biggest greens I've ever built, all in one place, except maybe for the 13th green at Barnbougle.

If I recall correctly, the 18th at Indianwood (Old) is 22,000 or 24,000 sf, with a lot of humps and bumps in the middle.  Once you get above 15,000 sf you are probably going to have to have a sprinkler head or two within the perimeter of the green ... that is the practical consideration which keeps most greens from going over a certain norm ... that, and mowing costs!

I once made a similar observation on this topic and was crucified for being formulaic, too concerned about maintenance, etc, etc. etc.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Emil Weber

« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2010, 12:17:03 PM »
The European Club in Ireland has a green thatīs a 100 and something metres long I think?

Emil

Yes, the par 5 legging right along the water - #12?.  I walked that green and it is indeed something very close to 100 yards long.  I have never seen anything like it.

Ciao

I just found the yardage guide. It says green nr. 12 is 127 yards long!!!!!!!!! ;D

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2010, 10:21:32 PM »
Mike Claytons reconstruction of the green on the 14th at the "new" Lakes would be up there from an Australian POV  ;D

Jon Heise

« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2010, 11:02:29 PM »
A course just outside of Marquette, MI, Chocolay Downs had an enormous green, I think the 9th hole. 

From the website, it looks like Northern Michigan Univ has taken it over (what, Greywalls not good enough?! ;D).  http://webb.nmu.edu/GolfCourse/...  They claim here that they're even trying to build the world's longest hole at 1007 yards while building a 3rd nine holes. http://www.michigan.org/Property/Detail.aspx?p=G8285

Played it once, course wasn't very interesting at all, but I though the big green was cool.  And I like having the balls to make something unique at least.

Here's a quick screencap deal.  I outlined what looks like the new 1k+ yard hole and the big green.  Appears 60 yards or longer...

I still like Greywalls better.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back