News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

TEPaul

I thought the following might be of interest to the more open-minded on here in considering the basic subject of this thread.

In an article in the November 8. 1901 British Golf Illustrated, Walter Travis spoke of his impressions on British golf.  In it he contrasted what is found in Britain and is lacking in the US.

"Where for instance, have we any bunkers that suggest the faintest resemblance to the "Himalayas"  or the "Redan" at Prestwick, or the "Maiden," "Sahara" or "Hades" at Sandwich?  Where have we any holes comparable with the 7th, 11th and 13th at St. Andrews, the 7th and 10th at Troon, the 5th and 17th at Prestwick, the 7th, 8th, 11th and 12th at Formby, the 2nd and 15th at Carnoustie, the 3rd, 7th and 14th at Prestwick St. Nicholas, the 7th, 14th and 15th at North Berwick, the proposed new 12th and 13th at Blundellsands, the 5th 11th, 12th and 18th at Muirfield, the 11th, 13th and 14th at Hoylake, the 3rd, 6th, 8th and 17th at Sandwich, the 3rd and 8th at Mid-Surrey, the 7th and 14th at Deal, or the 3rd, 4th and 10th at Huntercombe? -- to say nothing of many others.  Golf, with us, is mostly of a Kindergarten order.  The holes are too easy, and there is too much of a family resemblance all through, generally speaking.  There are undoubtedly some notable exceptions which will at once suggest themselves to those familiar with the leading courses on both sides.  But, speaking broadly, our courses seem to be mainly laid out, not with reference to first-class play, but rather to suit the game of the average player.  And what is the result?  On the ordinary courses a premium is placed on mediocrity.  But let the average good player on such courses "stack up against" golf as it should be played -- on links such as Prestwick, Sandwich or Formby, or Garden City or Wheaton -- and where is he?  Really good links develop really good players, a few remarkably so, while the general standard of play is at the same time very sensibly improved.  This fact is meeting with increasing recognition, as is evidenced by the growing improvement of our courses in the direction of making them more difficult."

The above comes from the on-going architectural research of Merion architectural historian Wayne Morrison.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 08:13:39 AM by TEPaul »

Jim_Kennedy

I don't know what you are trying to show tom, no one has ever said that good examples of quality architecture didn't existence pre-NGLA, only that none of them rose to the level of CBM's masterwork.

There isn't one credible golf historian who disputes that fact, but you and Wayne still can't absorb the idea. I sympathize with you guys, but I guess if I invested as much of my life as you two have in trying to drag Macdonald down so I could elevate the subject of a biography I was writing I'd be upset too. What's really sad is that if you guys were willing to embrace new information as it was shown to you your work would be a lot more history and a lot less fiction.

But I'm not either of you guys.   
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

TEPaul

"I don't know what you are trying to show tom, no one has ever said that good examples of quality architecture didn't existence pre-NGLA, only that none of them rose to the level of CBM's masterwork.

There isn't one credible golf historian who disputes that fact, but you and Wayne still can't absorb the idea. I sympathize with you guys, but I guess if I invested as much of my life as you two have in trying to drag Macdonald down so I could elevate the subject of a biography I was writing I'd be upset too. What's really sad is that if you guys were willing to embrace new information as it was shown to you your work would be a lot more history and a lot less fiction.

But I'm not either of you guys."

Jim Kennedy:

Perhaps you think I implied it before but now I'll just come right out and say it----with that last post of yours you just proved you really are an idiot.

This thread is about whether Macdonald really was the father of Golf Architecture in America and not exactly whether he had the biggest impact at some particular time as you seem to be trying to pigeon-hole it into.  ???

This quotation from Walter Travis in a British publication in 1901 (about 6-7 years before NGLA) is nothing more than some food for thought and consideration for the viewers and contributors to this website about the subject and title of this particular thread and particularly about the subject of template holes or that idea here in American which has generally been assigned just to Macdonald!    

Jim_Kennedy

Perhaps you think I implied it before but now I'll just come right out and say it----with that last post of yours you just proved you really are an idiot.

Childish and unoriginal Tom.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

JC Urbina

Ding, Ding, Ding.

After a spirited round one I want to get back to the influence that Macdonald may have had at that time in history.

Much like today’s golf course designers including Pete Dye.  I believe that C.B Macdonald had a big influence.  I believe that if history repeats itself and today golf architecture is really a spin off of what has already been done then the golf course designers of the early 1900s. were simply searching out and hearing of the latest and greatest golf courses of that era.  Using ideas to further enhance what they thought was crucial to sound golf design.  As stated in one media outlet Maxwell was influenced by what was in vogue at that time and clearly the golf business was even a smaller circle back then.  Did Mackenzie stop in to see the National or read about it before venturing out West?  Did the Olmstead Brothers spread the word about the courses being built in the East?  Was the media also a big influence on what was being developed out on the Eastern edge of Long Island and brought to communities across America?

Was Donald Ross as important to Golf Architecture in America?

TEPaul

Jim Kennedy:

I've never been too sure why you try to limit the discussion on this thread as you do to some question or point you think should only be discussed but if you can't appreciate the value of Walter Travis' interesting remarks in a British publication in 1901 (five years before NGLA's land was even purchased) about the use of template holes from abroad in America, I would have to say you don't have much of an open mind or curiosity about the point and question of this entire thread's subject.

And then when you accuse me or Wayne Morrison, as you often have in the past, of trying to bash Macdonald for offering that interesting information on Travis, it gets odder still. 

David Stamm

The role of CBM in golf in America is enormous to be sure. But I wonder if he had not produced NGLA if architects such as Colt, Fowler and Park would not have had the success anyway here. It's debatle to be sure, but eventually someone would've made that step. IMO, I see very little evidence to suggest that CBM's work heavily influenced the above mentioned architects and how they decided to design their courses here in America. I'm sure there was admiration and respect for the effort and passion of CBM, but I'm not aware of his work influencing them, especially Colt. He seemed to keep his own counsel in regards to course design.

David Stamm,  

As for if and when Colt and/or Fowler would have had had the success here anyway, it is certainly arguable.   But we could just as easily argue about whether the United States would have eventually broken away from Great Britain, had the revolutionary war not gone as it did.   My point is that we cannot rewrite history with "what if's."   With CBM we don't need to speculate as to "would have" and "could have" because CBM did it.  And we cannot erase his influence from the landscape to give these guys a free shot at trying to accomplish what CBM accomplished.  

So while some of these guys who followed may not have been borrowing anything from CBM, they were preaching many of the same ideas and/or utilizing many of the same concepts, and CBM set the stage for these guys here.  He started the ball rolling and they (and others) took it all sorts of places.

Tom, yes, of course MacKenzie played a role, especially in California where most of his work in this country was done. MacK was quite different in his approach to design compared to CBM. And I feel whatever CBM did at NGLA did not have much, if at all, of a bearing on how he approached his work here in California. Now, I do think there is work in California that was influenced to some degree by NGLA, namely Thomas and Behr's courses. And this would make sense knowing their backgrounds and history in golf on the east coast.

When you say that AM's approach was much different than CBM's just what exactly do you mean?   There are differences obviously, but there are plenty of remarkable similarities as well.  AM was espousing many of the same fundamental principles as CBM, and building many golf holes with very similar strategic underpinnings.   Diagonal hazards, undulating and interesting greens, undulating fairways, multiple routes to the hole, equally challenging and interesting to the scratch and the duffer, every hole different in character, undulations but no hill climbing, dislike of high rough, as natural appearance as possible, minimization of blind approaches (CBM obviously had a few exceptions to this, but preached minimum blindness nonetheless while noting these exceptions.)    The both shared a deep affection for the Old Course, and both had very similar views on the purpose of hazards, they both even praised the same holes from overseas.   They differed on trees, but only to a degree.  

MacKenzie was quite fond of NGLA.  From The Spirit of St. Andrews:

North America is rapidly becoming a greater golf center than even the home of golf, Scotland.  The average American golf course is vastly superior to the average Scottish golf course, but I still think the best courses in Scotland, such as the Old Course at St. Andrews ,are superior to any in the World.   In the East, the National and Pine Valley are outstanding, and the excellence of many other courses may be traced to their shining example.   My personal preference is for the National.   Although not so spectacular as Pine Valley, it has a greater resemblance to real links land than any course in the East.

It is also essentially a strategic course; every hole sets a problem.   At the National there are excellent copies of classic holes, but I think the holes, like the 14th and 17th, which C. B. Macdonald has evolved, so to speak, out of his own head, are superior to any of them.  

As an example of how similarly they thought on architecture, recall that CBM had Raynor build AM's "ideal two-shot hole" at the Lido.   From the caption of the photograph of his winning plan (SoSA):

"The ideal two shot hole that launched my golf architecture career.  C.B. Macdonald and Bernard Darwin awarded this design first place in Country Life magazine.  July 25, 1914."

One thing I found fascinating is when Gib in his usual off-the-cuff, less than serious manner recently went around CPC naming the Raynor holes.  While he was joking (I think,) one could easily go right around CPC and find quite a few holes with similar strategic concepts to those at NGLA.  Don't get me wrong, I am not saying this was done intentionally or that AM was working off of Raynor's plan. But I am saying that CBM and AM viewed many things similarly and so it should be of no surprise that their courses end up presenting some very similar strategic problems.

So I am curious as to what you meant when you wrote that AM's approach was much different than CBM's?

David, I apologize for missing your questions until now. Give me a little time to put forth a thoughtful response.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

TEPaul

"Did the Olmstead Brothers spread the word about the courses being built in the East?"

JC:

The involvement of Olmsted & Co (the Boston landscape architecture and land planning company that was arguably the most famous and prestigous in America at the time) in some of the great golf and development projects of that time has always fascinated me.

As far as I know Olmsted was generally involved with a number of the projects of Seth Raynor, including Mountain Lake in Florida in 1915 which may've been the first dedicated golf and residential community development in America. The same team of Raynor, Olmsted and Baltimore developer Frederick Ruth that had been used at Mountain Lake was later used to do Fishers Island. By the way, Mountain Lake and Fishers Island in the old days were something like sister clubs with the same staff going from one to the other during the winter and summer seasons.

Apparently the great Marion Hollins may've had Raynor and Olmsted on the drawing boards to do Cypress Point too but Raynor died before it began. Marion also used Olmsted Brothers to do the over-all development of Pasatiempo with the golf course by Mackenzie.

Marion had a strong connection with Macdonald and Raynor since she was from New York and her father, Harry Hollins was one of the founding members of NGLA (as a young up and coming golfer Marion played NGLA all the time). Marion also got Macdonald (and perhaps Raynor) to do some consulting on her interesting Womens National golf course in the early 1920s before she went west even though Devereux Emmet is the architect of record for Womens National.  

« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 10:40:45 AM by TEPaul »

TEPaul

"Was Donald Ross as important to Golf Architecture in America?"

JC:

Of course he was even if perhaps at a somewhat later time in the evolution of golf architecture in America. Even though that is undeniably the case I have little doubt that very question and answer will probably drive a few of the notable Macdonald Butt-Boys on here to become hysterical once again and accuse me of trying to bash Macdonald. They will probably accuse you too of trying to shift the question and point of this thread in some attempt to bash Macdonald! ;)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 10:50:24 AM by TEPaul »

DMoriarty

Jim Kennedy.  

While I find the Travis paragraph posted by TomPaul and Wayne interesting, I am with you in not quite understanding its significance to this topic.  

All acknowledge that Travis was probably on the right track, at least by the middle of the decade-- this would explain why CBM chose him to help at NGLA.  But that paragraph is a far cry from any sort of coherent and cohesive plan to overthrow of the existing order of American design, and I am not aware that this blurb or Travis had much impact or influence at all.  Only a little changed for the better in during most of that decade, and much changed for the worse!    TEPaul pretends that one's impact and influence have little to do with the issue at hand, but this is just plain wrong.   Even Jim Urbina has directed the conversation to CBM's impact and influence a few times now.  

Plus, it is not clear that Travis was entirely on the right track in the paragraph.  His main focus was on making courses harder, emphasizing " . . . the growing improvement of our courses in the direction of making them more difficult.".    Along these lines, he presents the 1901 version of Garden City as an excellent test of golf, along with Weaton and some excelelnt courses abroad. "But let the average good player on such courses "stack up against" golf as it should be played -- on links such as Prestwick, Sandwich or Formby, or Garden City or Wheaton -- and where is he?"  Difficulty is the apparent measure of quality, and this entirely misses the point of what was to come.

It is telling, though, that this is the best these guys could come up with.  Travis mentioned some holes abroad, called American courses Kindergarten,  and praised the 1901 version of Garden City (even placing it with great links courses) because it was difficult.   What are we supposed to draw from this?  I have no idea except to know that it that it looks like a very, very weak argument is in the making.  

TEPaul is likely insulting and upset in his response to you because you hit on the absolute key to understanding why these two approach CBM as they do. They (and others) are trying to make a bigger place at the table for their own favorite dead guy or pet theory, and they think they can accomplish this by elbowing CBM over a bit, and out of the way.   What they don't seem to get is that with a little help here and there, CBM built the table at which they sit.   Not only that, he built the room containing the table, and that room is but an extension of a larger structure that is Scottish links golf.  

But why is it so important for these two and many others to try and elbow CBM out of the way?   Because, as you have also mentioned, their entire understanding of the evolution of early golf design can only exist if CBM's approach and ideas were nothing but a passing fad.   That way, they can argue that  __________ (fill in your favorite dead guys here) rejected CBM's ideas and approach and instead took American golf design in an entirely new direction.

So it is not as if TEPaul hates CBM's work-- I believe him when he says he really likes CBM courses.  But he needs to limit CBM's influence in order to leave room for the legend of his supposed "Naturalism School."   That is the reason why he is so passive-aggressive about it.  He's torn.   On the one hand he loves the courses, but on the other he has to get him out of the way.   So he tries to damn CBM with faint praise, complimenting the courses while  minimizing the impact and influence CBM had on golf design in America.

David, I apologize for missing your questions until now. Give me a little time to put forth a thoughtful response.

No problem.  I just figured there was nothing to answer because you agreed with my post in its entirety.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 04:01:21 PM by DMoriarty »
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

TEPaul

What is interesting or perhaps significant about Walter Travis' remarks on his impressions of British and American golf architecture in his 1901 statement posted above and posted again below that is from The British (London?) Golf Illustrated magazine (November, 1901)?

Well, first of all, that might be a very good question, or, on the other hand, perhaps it's not. To determine the answer of whether it's an interesting question or not, I would say a few details surrounding his remarks need to be determined first. I don't know the details surrounding his remarks but others on here might. Even if they don't at the moment, the details surrounding that magazine article with Travis' remarks probably can be determined.

Where, for instance, did Travis' idea for the use of all those famous holes abroad he listed in that article, including the way some of them were bunkered, come from? Was that his original idea or did he get it from someone else or some others who originated that novel idea for American architecture before him?

We know from Macdonald's autobiography, written between 1927 and 1928 that he wrote an article in 1897 while still living in Chicago that an ideal first class course should have eighteen holes and sandy soil and the right distance between the holes, the shrewd placing of bunkers and other hazards, the perfecting of putting greens, and all must be evolved by a process of growth and it all requires study and patience. But where in that 1897 article did Macdonald talk about the famous time-tested "classical" (his word) holes and their principles from abroad, and further, where or even when did Macdonald talk about them as a virtual model to draw from to create ideal courses and architecture in America?

Macdonald also tells us in his autobiography that he was inspired by a controversy surrounding the “Best Hole Discussion” in the London Golf Illustrated magazine (presumably a number of the holes Macdonald used in America and first at NLGA as templates were not necessarily his personal favorites from abroad (how many did he even have or know from abroad, at that point?) but they came from that “Best Hole Discussion” apparently first generated in that London Golf Illustrated magazine controversy.

Is this the same magazine that contains the article that Travis’ idea to use holes from abroad came from (he listed a good many holes and courses in that article, so presumably Travis knew them all very well, at that point. We do know Travis had been abroad in the 1890s as well)? Was it Travis who inspired that “Best Hole Discussion” in London Golf Illustrated with his remarks or was it someone else? I doubt it was Macdonald because it appears he wasn’t even over there at that time, as Travis was.

Macdonald also tells us in his autobiography that this idea was what motivated him to go abroad and begin the first of three architectural “study” trips. The other two came in 1904 and 1906.

Is it possible that it was Walter Travis who came up with this concept or model of using famous GB holes and their bunkering ideas over here in America to make better architecture compared to the architecture Travis said we had over here at the time which he believed to be very weak?

If it turns out Travis inspired Macdonald into using GB template holes (Macdonald called them “classical” holes) and perhaps with this British Golf Illustrated article quoted above and below perhaps it was Travis who had the significant and important architectural influence on Macdonald in this particular important vein.

I have no idea at this time whether that is true or even what the chronology was of this concept or model of using famous GB holes and their bunkering ideas for better architecture but I’m sure we can all find out somehow and it may turn out that Travis’ remarks were very important and even a significant influence effecting some of the questions that began this thread.

Again, Travis’ remarks in the British Golf Illustrated magazine article of November, 1901.

"In an article in the November 8. 1901 British Golf Illustrated, Walter Travis spoke of his impressions on British golf.  In it he contrasted what is found in Britain and is lacking in the US.

"Where for instance, have we any bunkers that suggest the faintest resemblance to the "Himalayas"  or the "Redan" at Prestwick, or the "Maiden," "Sahara" or "Hades" at Sandwich?  Where have we any holes comparable with the 7th, 11th and 13th at St. Andrews, the 7th and 10th at Troon, the 5th and 17th at Prestwick, the 7th, 8th, 11th and 12th at Formby, the 2nd and 15th at Carnoustie, the 3rd, 7th and 14th at Prestwick St. Nicholas, the 7th, 14th and 15th at North Berwick, the proposed new 12th and 13th at Blundellsands, the 5th 11th, 12th and 18th at Muirfield, the 11th, 13th and 14th at Hoylake, the 3rd, 6th, 8th and 17th at Sandwich, the 3rd and 8th at Mid-Surrey, the 7th and 14th at Deal, or the 3rd, 4th and 10th at Huntercombe? -- to say nothing of many others.  Golf, with us, is mostly of a Kindergarten order.  The holes are too easy, and there is too much of a family resemblance all through, generally speaking.  There are undoubtedly some notable exceptions which will at once suggest themselves to those familiar with the leading courses on both sides.  But, speaking broadly, our courses seem to be mainly laid out, not with reference to first-class play, but rather to suit the game of the average player.  And what is the result?  On the ordinary courses a premium is placed on mediocrity.  But let the average good player on such courses "stack up against" golf as it should be played -- on links such as Prestwick, Sandwich or Formby, or Garden City or Wheaton -- and where is he?  Really good links develop really good players, a few remarkably so, while the general standard of play is at the same time very sensibly improved.  This fact is meeting with increasing recognition, as is evidenced by the growing improvement of our courses in the direction of making them more difficult."

Patrick_Mucci

Was Donald Ross as important to Golf Architecture in America?

JC,

In a general context, I think Ross took GCA in America to the next level, especially in terms of an organization, and the volume and quality of his work.

While there were other great architects producing great golf courses, Ross seems to emerge as the "Dean".

His work spanned the continent and beyond.

The quantity and quality of his courses was also outstanding.

If you had to list the general progression of architecture in America, it would seem to be CBM/SR/CB, Ross, RTJ then Pete Dye.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

DMoriarty

Wayne Morrison and/or TEPaul,   If Wayne wants to participate in these conversations he should re-register instead of hiding behind TEPaul.

The post above is is almost completely absent of any real substance.   It intimates plenty, but unfortunately almost all that it intimates is wrong or misleading.  Just about every answer is easily discoverable by some very basic research, so instead of blurring the issue with conjectures and half-considered theories, why don't you answer your own questions?   Then come back and tell us what if anything is left.

Isn't TEPaul the self-proclaimed CBM expert?  So he must know all about the origins and inspirations of the pre-1900 versions of Chicago Golf Club?  Surely he understands where CBM stood on these issues by November 1901?  

Where, for instance, did Travis' idea for the use of all those famous holes abroad he listed in that article, including the way some of them were bunkered, come from?  Was that his original idea or did he get it from someone else or some others who originated that novel idea for American architecture before him?

What are you talking about?  These two sentences are nothing but wishful thinking of the anyone-but-CBM variety.  While Travis noted that courses in America did not have features and holes like those listed, he did NOT suggest that those famous holes should be copied or recreated in America.   At least he didn't in the paragraph presented from 1901.  He did write that the American courses needed to be made more difficult. If you disagree, please show us exactly where in this paragraph did Travis contemplate copying these holes in America?

We know from Macdonald's autobiography, written between 1927 and 1928 that he wrote an article in 1897 while still living in Chicago that an ideal first class course should have eighteen holes and sandy soil and the right distance between the holes, the shrewd placing of bunkers and other hazards, the perfecting of putting greens, and all must be evolved by a process of growth and it all requires study and patience. But where in that 1897 article did Macdonald talk about the famous time-tested "classical" (his word) holes and their principles from abroad, and further, where or even when did Macdonald talk about them as a virtual model to draw from to create ideal courses and architecture in America?

You are paraphrasing a few sentences from that article, and not very well.  Why not post the entire article or at least the passage?  I know TEPaul quoted it in his recent piece for the Walker Cup, so you guys must have checked the quote against the original.  

Macdonald also tells us in his autobiography that he was inspired by a controversy surrounding the “Best Hole Discussion” in the London Golf Illustrated magazine (presumably a number of the holes Macdonald used in America and first at NLGA as templates were not necessarily his personal favorites from abroad (how many did he even have or know from abroad, at that point?) but they came from that “Best Hole Discussion” apparently first generated in that London Golf Illustrated magazine controversy.

Why don't you tell us what CBM knew about courses abroad before 1901, instead of implying that he might not have known about them?  

Is this the same magazine that contains the article that Travis’ idea to use holes from abroad came from (he listed a good many holes and courses in that article, so presumably Travis knew them all very well, at that point. We do know Travis had been abroad in the 1890s as well)? Was it Travis who inspired that “Best Hole Discussion” in London Golf Illustrated with his remarks or was it someone else? I doubt it was Macdonald because it appears he wasn’t even over there at that time, as Travis was.

1.  Surely you can figure out whether it is the same magazine, can't you?
2.  He knew them all very well because he can name them?    I can name every hole at ANGC, so I guess I know them all very well.  
3.  Are you asking us or telling about Travis' possible travels abroad in the 1890's?  
4   Come on Tom or Wayne or whoever.   Why speculate about whether Travis inspired the "Best Hole Discussion" in this paragraph?   Just look it up.    You may want to start your research here, because it will put much of the rest of this nonsense to rest.  
5.  He wasn't over there at that time, as Travis was?   How do you know that CBM was not abroad in the 1890's?   And what to you mean by "at that time?"  At WHAT time?   Again just a huge logical leap on your part.  You assume that because Travis was abroad "in the 1890s" that he was present for the inspiration for the discussion?      What makes you think the discussion took place in the 1890's?

Macdonald also tells us in his autobiography that this idea was what motivated him to go abroad and begin the first of three architectural “study” trips. The other two came in 1904 and 1906

Why did you skip the date of the first study trip?   What date did CBM say that his preparation for the ideal course began?   Was it before or after Travis' paragraph?    

Is it possible that it was Walter Travis who came up with this concept or model of using famous GB holes and their bunkering ideas over here in America to make better architecture compared to the architecture Travis said we had over here at the time which he believed to be very weak?

If it turns out Travis inspired Macdonald into using GB template holes (Macdonald called them “classical” holes) and perhaps with this British Golf Illustrated article quoted above and below perhaps it was Travis who had the significant and important architectural influence on Macdonald in this particular important vein.

You are so far afield of facts and reality that it really says something about your motivations here.   Why would you put this fantasy out here without looking into it.  It is all readily available!  

I have no idea at this time whether that is true or even what the chronology was of this concept or model of using famous GB holes and their bunkering ideas for better architecture but I’m sure we can all find out somehow and it may turn out that Travis’ remarks were very important and even a significant influence effecting some of the questions that began this thread.

Is "find out somehow" a euphemism for someone finding out for you?   If so, it won't be me.   I know many of the answers, as well a some of the places your theory falls apart, but to me the bigger question is why would you throw this stuff out there without checking it out first?   Clearly with you it is anyone-but-Macdonald, but if this is the best you can do, why bother?  
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 01:45:54 AM by DMoriarty »
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Tom MacWood

I thought the following might be of interest to the more open-minded on here in considering the basic subject of this thread.

In an article in the November 8. 1901 British Golf Illustrated, Walter Travis spoke of his impressions on British golf.  In it he contrasted what is found in Britain and is lacking in the US.

"Where for instance, have we any bunkers that suggest the faintest resemblance to the "Himalayas"  or the "Redan" at Prestwick, or the "Maiden," "Sahara" or "Hades" at Sandwich?  Where have we any holes comparable with the 7th, 11th and 13th at St. Andrews, the 7th and 10th at Troon, the 5th and 17th at Prestwick, the 7th, 8th, 11th and 12th at Formby, the 2nd and 15th at Carnoustie, the 3rd, 7th and 14th at Prestwick St. Nicholas, the 7th, 14th and 15th at North Berwick, the proposed new 12th and 13th at Blundellsands, the 5th 11th, 12th and 18th at Muirfield, the 11th, 13th and 14th at Hoylake, the 3rd, 6th, 8th and 17th at Sandwich, the 3rd and 8th at Mid-Surrey, the 7th and 14th at Deal, or the 3rd, 4th and 10th at Huntercombe? -- to say nothing of many others.  Golf, with us, is mostly of a Kindergarten order.  The holes are too easy, and there is too much of a family resemblance all through, generally speaking.  There are undoubtedly some notable exceptions which will at once suggest themselves to those familiar with the leading courses on both sides.  But, speaking broadly, our courses seem to be mainly laid out, not with reference to first-class play, but rather to suit the game of the average player.  And what is the result?  On the ordinary courses a premium is placed on mediocrity.  But let the average good player on such courses "stack up against" golf as it should be played -- on links such as Prestwick, Sandwich or Formby, or Garden City or Wheaton -- and where is he?  Really good links develop really good players, a few remarkably so, while the general standard of play is at the same time very sensibly improved.  This fact is meeting with increasing recognition, as is evidenced by the growing improvement of our courses in the direction of making them more difficult."

The above comes from the on-going architectural research of Merion architectural historian Wayne Morrison.

TEP
Have you read Travis's entire article? If so, what gave you the impression he was referring to templates?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 06:21:27 AM by Tom MacWood »

Tom MacWood

By the way the Best Holes Discussion series in Golf Illustrated began 2.15.1901.

TEPaul

Tom MacWood:

"TEP
Have you read Travis's entire article?"

No I haven't; only the part I quoted.

"If so, what gave you the impression he was referring to templates?"

I get that impression from what I quoted from Travis from that Nov, 1901 British Golf Illustrated article.

"By the way the Best Holes Discussion series in Golf Illustrated began 2.15.1901."

Thanks for that info. Obviously that would probably mean Travis didn't start that GBI "Best Hole Discussion" by what he said in the article in BGI in Nov, 1901. I wonder if he was the first who had the idea of doing copies of the holes in America that he mentioned in that article. Do you have any idea when or where Macdonald first wrote he wanted to do GB template holes in America, OR, do you have any idea who first mentioned doing template holes in America before Travis appeared to suggest it in that article in BGI in Oct-Nov 1901? Do you know if anyone suggested doing famous hole copies in GB or abroad around that time (1901)?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 09:49:47 AM by TEPaul »

Tom MacWood

TEP
The problem with looking at a small excerpt from a longer article is the danger of taking that excerpt out of context. I would suggest you ask Wayne to send you the entire article. Travis is not referring to templates.

TEPaul

"Travis is not referring to templates."

Tom MacWood:

What do you think he's referring to in that excerpt from that British Golf Illustrated Nov. 1901 article? Do you think he is referring to the necessity to copy here in America important architectural "principles"  ;) such as greater bunkering from those numerous significant holes abroad he mentioned in that Nov, 1901 British Golf Illustrated article, because he stated most of our courses were weak (not difficult enough to inspire improved skill and play) and akin to kindergarten golf designed for mediocrity?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 09:57:12 AM by TEPaul »

Bill Brightly

I think TEP (and Wayne) simply cannot resist the chance to "ring the bell" of devoted fans of Macdonald. Suggesting that Travis inspired CBM is fairly brilliant in that regard. Ridiculous, but effective if the goal is to tweak those of us who know Macdonald's true importance..

Macdonald himself states that it was the 1901 Golf Illustrated "Best Hole" competition that inspired him. It made him realize not only that golf courses in the US were sorely lacking, but that even the best courses in the UK had many weak holes. The idea of building NGLA was born, and he then set about a 4 year project of studying the courses in the UK, Macdonald suggest that this was "the first effort at establishing golfing architecture, at least there is no record I can find preceeding it."

Macdonald did not try to hide the fact that he copied features that appealed to him; "the flowers oftransplanted plants in time shed a perfume comparable to that of their indigenous home." Why would he hide Travis' influence if it ever existed?

Macdonald speaks favorable of Myopia, but did not study it and copy any of its features. That so many others would travel to NGLA and study the course is a HUGE factor when we try to answer the question of whether or not CBM was the "father" of GA in America. I'm not crazy about the term "father" but if we have to name one, there is no one close to CBM.

TEPaul

"Why would he hide Travis' influence if it ever existed?"

BillB:

That question actually has a very long and complex series of answers that is most definitely not without a huge stash of documentation, that is if one considers it carefully. If one wanted to put a general label on the nub of what created their differences and some virtual adverserialness and estrangement (particularly on Travis' part) that label would probably be "The Schnectedy Putter Issue" and over a number of years (it became HUGE!  ;)

Rich Goodale

What surprises me is that after 10 years of gestation, apparently including "a 4 year project of studying the courses in the UK," CBM ended up with a course (excellent as it probably was nd still is) which included only a small number of "templates" from all the great holes he must have seen across the pond, as well as a lack of any holes from some of the most highly respected courses of that time.  Other than his own testimony in "Scotland's Gift," and the reports of people to whom Macdonald related this story, is there any corroboration of what courses exactly he did "study" and how and when and for how long?  Are there any newspaper accounts of his trips to the UK?  If even the idiot savant Hugh Wilson could be mentioned in the local press when he visited GBI in 1912, surely such a revered figure as CBM would have received gallons of ink from the British hacks during his sojourns.  I don't remember seeing copies of any such reports on this site.  Could somebody enlighten me as to whether I am myopic or such reports have not yet been found or published?

Thanks in advance.

Bill Brightly

I think Rich hits on a point that has been developing in my mind for a while now:

Macdonald was a naturalist who repeated certain template-features because he knew they would make for a great golfing experience.. Two of his protogees, Raynor and Banks, took these template-features to the extreme, made many of the features bolder, (some say they left an "engineered look" )and now some people lump Macdonald in with what Raynor and Banks built.

I think that is wrong. Raynor and Banks are just one wing of the Macdonald influence. I strongly believe that every other architect of the time was greatly influenced by NGLA, but is impossible to quantify or describe. You can't point to a Tillinghast or Ross hole and say they took this from Macdonald. Rather, they used the land as Macdonald did, but were driven to produce golf holes of the highest quality, ones that would measure up the NGLA. The "game" had changed, and they either built courses that could be mentioned in the same breath as NGLA or they would not be hired. That's my belief and I'm sticking to it!

Tom MacWood

"Travis is not referring to templates."

Tom MacWood:

What do you think he's referring to in that excerpt from that British Golf Illustrated Nov. 1901 article? Do you think he is referring to the necessity to copy here in America important architectural "principles"  ;) such as greater bunkering from those numerous significant holes abroad he mentioned in that Nov, 1901 British Golf Illustrated article, because he stated most of our courses were weak (not difficult enough to inspire improved skill and play) and akin to kindergarten golf designed for mediocrity?

TEP
He was explaining and contrasting the differences between the two countries relative to golf course development. He emphasizes the natural advantages Britain has over America - the sandy undulating ground - which results in better turf, more interesting undulating ground and courses that are generally better bunkered. He does not mention anything about copying famous holes. Another point Travis makes in the article: better courses result in better play and better golfers.

Patrick_Mucci

Rich Goodale,

That's a good point except for one thing.

As an architect, CBM was a nobody in the latter part of the 19th century and early years of the 20th century, so, I don't know if he'd get that much press.

But, I would like to know which courses he studied and which courses he didn't study.

Tom MacWood

~

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back