News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim_Kennedy

« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 06:03:44 PM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

TEPaul

Jimbo Kennedy:

When one does good on here I think it's a must they should be congratulated for it. And so I want to say that last post of yours was one of your finest to date. It's just so meaningful and educational, and it certainly is spare and to the point which is a lot better than I've ever been able to do on here. Thank you so much, even though after reading your post # 375 a few times I still can't be sure whether you're implying you think Travis actually saw North Berwick's Redan before Charlie Blair Macdonald did-----or not!  

Do you think it would be possible for you to teach Moriarty this marvelous new-found direction of yours evidenced on your marvelous post #375?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 07:06:06 PM by TEPaul »

Jim_Kennedy

« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 06:30:43 AM by Jim_Kennedy »

TEPaul

Well, Jimbo, I guess the most important thing for you to consider, at this point, is whether you have a sense of humor or whether you don't. If somebody asked me that about you, at this point, I must admit, I wouldn't have the vaguest fucking idea what the hell to tell them! ;)

Jim_Kennedy

Tom,
In light of the fact that we will never see eye to eye on the last 10 or 20 percent of this issue I'm removing my prior posting.

Tom MacWood

"Given that Travis became a tremendously accomplished player, and had the same outlook as CBM,  it doesn't surprise me that Macdonald asked him to be a part of NGLA.

I believe that's a much more plausible construct then what you are trying to present."

Jim Kennedy:

Then what 'construct' do you think I'm trying to present other than your ridiculous contention that I am trying to promote Travis at the expense of Macdonald somehow? You can just keep saying that if you want, and apparently you do, but I have never said nor implied nor believed anything like that.

In 1901 Travis was the reigning US Amateur champion (from 1900) and arguably the premier amateur golfer in America at that time (C.B. Macdonald CLEARLY never had any intention of using a professional golfer or professional golf architect at NGLA or for anything else he ever did in golf course architecture and actually back then he gave his reasons for that which today might be viewed as somewhat politically or culturally incorrect ;) ) and he belonged to the same club as Macdonald---Garden City Golf Club---since Macdonald moved from Chicago to New York in 1900.

TEP
Was Travis playing out of GCGC or Oakland when he won the Amateur in 1900? When did CBM join GCGC? Didn't originally play out of Tuxedo? I thought NGLA had a pro.

I'm having trouble following this thread. What is your latest theory on CBM and/or Travis?

Tom MacWood

I found this other day. What courses would have been considered the classic links of Scotland in Macdonald's day?

TEPaul

“I'm having trouble following this thread.”

Tom MacWood:

Are you? That’s too bad and I'm sorry about that; it’s unfortunate but perhaps we can rectify that. How would you like to have a discussion on this thread (or perhaps another one) that asks an interesting question that just might develop some edifying answers that you can follow and discuss?

How about we discuss the following question?

“What courses would have been considered the classic links of Scotland in Macdonald's day?”

I hope you like that question and can follow the discussion of it because it is your question from your post just above this one. How about we first define what we mean by “Macdonald’s day” since that arguably could extend in the context of golf and architecture all the way from 1872 to 1939?

So let’s just pick the year 1901, shall we? Why don’t you go first and tell us what you think a good way would be to determine what the classic links or holes from them were at that time and not just in Scotland but in Great Britain; and not just in our opinions but in the opinions of those men back then who were very much concerning themselves with a question like this one? After all weren't some of the holes Macdonald utilized and utilized the principles of with his ideal course (NGLA) from not just Scotland but GB generally?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 09:20:13 AM by TEPaul »

Tom MacWood

"Given that Travis became a tremendously accomplished player, and had the same outlook as CBM,  it doesn't surprise me that Macdonald asked him to be a part of NGLA.

I believe that's a much more plausible construct then what you are trying to present."

Jim Kennedy:

Then what 'construct' do you think I'm trying to present other than your ridiculous contention that I am trying to promote Travis at the expense of Macdonald somehow? You can just keep saying that if you want, and apparently you do, but I have never said nor implied nor believed anything like that.

In 1901 Travis was the reigning US Amateur champion (from 1900) and arguably the premier amateur golfer in America at that time (C.B. Macdonald CLEARLY never had any intention of using a professional golfer or professional golf architect at NGLA or for anything else he ever did in golf course architecture and actually back then he gave his reasons for that which today might be viewed as somewhat politically or culturally incorrect ;) ) and he belonged to the same club as Macdonald---Garden City Golf Club---since Macdonald moved from Chicago to New York in 1900.

TEP
I believe some of your facts may be wrong. Was Travis playing out of GCGC or Oakland when he won the Amateur in 1900? When did CBM join GCGC? Didn't he originally play out of Tuxedo? And I thought NGLA had a pro. Do you know?

I've had trouble following this thread because I've been tied up the last few days. You've launched quite a few trial balloons on this tread and was wondering what was your latest theory on CBM and/or Travis?

By Macdonald's day I'm referring to the late 19th C. - what were considered the classic links of Scotland at that time?

TEPaul

"TEP
I believe some of your facts may be wrong. Was Travis playing out of GCGC or Oakland when he won the Amateur in 1900? When did CBM join GCGC? Didn't he originally play out of Tuxedo? And I thought NGLA had a pro. Do you know?"

Tom MacWood:

To take those four questions ;) first;

1. Was Travis playing out of GCGC or Oakland when he won the Amateur in 1900? I am not sure about that but from Travis' biography it appears Travis joined GCGC during the year of the founding of the club itself which was 1900.

2. When did CBM join GCGC? I do not know for sure but it appears from CBM himself that he was a member of GCGC in 1903. But that does not mean he had not joined in 1900, 1901 or 1902.

3. Didn't he originally play out of Tuxedo? I don't know; I've never heard that before.

4. Do I know if NGLA had a pro? Well, not exactly, unless you tell me what years you have in mind. If you're asking me that question because of what I said about Macdonald seemingly never working with a professional architect, I really don't see what that has to do with whether NGLA had a golf professional or not at any point in time.  ;)

TEPaul

Jim Kennedy and Moriarty:

I have a question for you both, which is, do either of you believe that Charles Blair Macdonald was arrogant in the way he approached and applied golf course architecture in his career? Please give a yes or no answer and any explanation you care to regarding your yes or no answer. Thanks

And I should add, I truly do hope you do not think I am bashing CBM for simply asking you this question, and I also hope you don't think this question to be one that is diverting or destroying this particular thread. Personally, I don't see how it can be as this thread is about the question that asks if Charles Blair Macdonald really was the father of Golf Architecture in America? And as such (Macdonald as the Father of American Golf Course Architecture) the question of whether he could or should be viewed as arrogant in the way he approached and applied golf course architecture seems to be an appropriate question for discussion.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 12:05:52 PM by TEPaul »

TEPaul

"You've launched quite a few trial balloons on this tread and was wondering what was your latest theory on CBM and/or Travis?"

Tom MacWood:

On the subject of CBM and/or Travis that I believe you are referring to I think you can find my feeling on that in the posts that follow post #150 where I quoted from the Travis article that appeared in the Nov, 1901 edition of the London Golf Illustrated magazine.

"By Macdonald's day I'm referring to the late 19th C. - what were considered the classic links of Scotland at that time?"

Good question. Assuming nothing much changed with them between the late 19 C and June-August 1901 I would say the dozen or so courses (or a number of holes on them) Travis listed that he had played and admired is a pretty good start to answering your question. He also listed approximately forty holes he admired in GB.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 11:57:31 AM by TEPaul »

Tom MacWood

"You've launched quite a few trial balloons on this tread and was wondering what was your latest theory on CBM and/or Travis?"

Tom MacWood:

On the subject of CBM and/or Travis that I believe you are referring to I think you can find my feeling on that in the posts that follow post #150 where I quoted from the Travis article that appeared in the Nov, 1901 edition of the London Golf Illustrated magazine.

"By Macdonald's day I'm referring to the late 19th C. - what were considered the classic links of Scotland at that time?"

Good question. Assuming nothing much changed with them between the late 19 C and June-August 1901 I would say the dozen or so courses (or a number of holes on them) Travis listed that he had played and admired is a pretty good start to answering your question. He also listed approximately forty holes he admired in GB.

TEP
In Macdonald's day - 1870s to 1890s - the premier classical courses would have been St. Andrews, Prestwick and Musselburgh. The second tier classical courses would have been courses like Carnoustie, Troon, North Berwick and Muirfield. North Berwick's greatest claim to fame came when it hosted half of the famous Park vs. Vardon match in 1899

I'm wondering what your latest theory is on Macdonald/Travis, as I said you've already launched several trial balloons (that have suffered crash landings):

1. Travis inspired the Best Hole Discussion
2. Travis was the first to suggest copying famous holes
3. CBM had little experience on British courses
4. Travis had a wealth of experience beginning in the 1890s
5. Travis designed Ekwanok in 1899
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 12:20:49 PM by Tom MacWood »

TEPaul

Tom MacWood:

Apparently you don't want to discuss what those interested in the subject at the time (1901) thought the best courses were in GB. Believe me I think I can understand why you probably don't.

On your list of five above, I wasn't floating any theories when I mentioned Travis on this thread; I merely asked some questions and I got some answers, and I think I learned a few things in the process. Do you have a problem with that on this DG?  ;)

1. No, I don't now believe Travis inspired the Best Hole Discusion.
2. No, I don't think he mentioned copying holes in that 1901 article but he certainly did mentioning using some of the ideas and features on all those GB courses and holes he listed such as about 4-5 times more bunkers than he felt American courses had at that time. At that time Travis clearly felt American architecture was designed only for the mediocre golf and that it should be more difficult to inspire American golfers to get better. That theme was on that HJ Whigam would expand on in a significant article on architecture in 1909!
3. According to CBM himself that appears to be the case before 1902. It seems, by his own chronology of his own life, all he was really familiar with over there before that was TOC and Hoylake.
4. I'm not sure what you mean by that. Travis' was a remarkably quick study and learner for sure---eg winning his first tournament less than a year after taking up the game. And of course he developed an interest and talent for architecture very quickly too---eg leading to #5.
5. Yes, I believe Travis co-designed Ekwanok in 1899 with John Duncan Dunn.

Hope that helps.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 01:16:11 PM by TEPaul »

Tom MacWood

Tom MacWood:

Apparently you don't want to discuss what those interested in the subject at the time (1901) thought the best courses were in GB. Believe me I think I can understand why you probably don't.

Don't you remember we already discussed it. If you will recall I posted the entire original article to show how you and Wayne were attempting to take that particular paragraph out of context.

On your list of five above, I wasn't floating any theories when I mentioned Travis on this thread; I merely asked some questions and I got some answers, and I think I learned a few things in the process. Do you have a problem with that on this DG?  ;)

The hell you weren't.

1. No, I don't now believe Travis inspired the Best Hole Discusion. CHECK.
2. No, I don't think he mentioned copying holes in that 1901 article but he certainly did mentioning using some of the ideas and features on all those GB courses and holes he listed such as about 4-5 times more bunkers than he felt American courses had at that time. At that time Travis clearly felt American architecture was designed only for the mediocre golf and that it should be more difficult to inspire American golfers to get better. That theme was on that HJ Whigam would expand on in a significant article on architecture in 1909! CHECK
3. According to CBM himself that appears to be the case before 1902. It seems, by his own chronology of his own life, all he was really familiar with over there before that was TOC and Hoylake. IS THAT ALL? CHECK.
4. I'm not sure what you mean by that. Travis' was a remarkably quick study and learner for sure---eg winning his first tournament less than a year after taking up the game. And of course he developed an interest and talent for architecture very quickly too---eg leading to #5. CHECK, CHECK
5. Yes, I believe Travis co-designed Ekwanok in 1899 with John Duncan Dunn. DO YOU HAVE ANY PROOF OF TRAVIS'S INVOLVEMENT IN 1899?

Hope that helps.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 02:25:13 PM by Tom MacWood »

DMoriarty

Jim Kennedy and Moriarty:

I have a question for you both, which is, do either of you believe that Charles Blair Macdonald was arrogant in the way he approached and applied golf course architecture in his career? Please give a yes or no answer and any explanation you care to regarding your yes or no answer.

The old, tired, CBM-the-Arrogant-Ogre claim; perhaps the most overplayed and undersupported claim in the history of gca.com.   You and Wayne have been gossiping about this for years, yet as far as I know you have yet to even bother to try and make the case.  So I file it with the Whigham-the-Lackey and Emmet-the-Homosexual gossip, under "U" for Unproductive and Unsupported.

If you think you can make the case that CBM was "'arrogant' in the way he approached and applied golf course architecture in his career," go for it.  But instead of rehashing the same old gossip and innuendo, how about you try it with verifiable facts?  Skip the unsupported and irrelevant gossip about who commissioned his statue, or the vague, out of context references to a letter or two.  Give us VERIFIABLE FACTS which support your claim that CBM was arrogant in the way he approached and applied golf course architecture.

While you are at it, how about explaining how your claim about his supposed unabashed arrogance at all diminishes what he accomplished?  Again, please not another rambling oration about what you think might be most interesting about CBM, or about how your ancestors were of a higher class, or about how he wasn't of the same stature as his beneficator.  Give us VERIFIABLE FACTS.  Surely you understand the difference between making your case and just going on and on about how you think there is a case to be made, don't you?

As for what I think, I think you guy have well overplayed your hand, and that the facts just don't support the case you want to try and make (whatever that it.)   But as I said, make your case and we shall see.   Lay your cards down. 
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

TEPaul

Tom MacWood;

Interesting response!  ;)

It looks like you just had some kind of RED and YELLOW psychological flame-out out there in Ohio at your computer.

Never mind then; the list of people who find it virtually impossible to conduct any kind of conversation with you on here continues to grow!  ::)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 02:45:44 PM by TEPaul »

TEPaul

"Lay down your claim."

Moriarty:

I'd be glad to! But I suppose I should ask you first if you are ready, at this point, to discuss the "Macdonald, The Arrogant" claim when it comes to his approach or application to golf course architecture. I ask because you may not be ready to discuss that at this time. If it is brought up you very well may react as you have so often on here and become virtually hysterical blaming everyone but yourself for everything.   :o

You see, it wasn't me or Wayne who made a claim like that on this website; it was none other than one David Moriarty and back in 2003!!  ;)

Do you even remember your 2003 thread "Re: Did Macdonald 'Jump the Shark' with The Lido?" I was reading some of it today. It's presently residing on page 66 of the GOLFCLUBALTLAS.com back pages.

Why don't we bring it up and reprise it and see what YOU said about Charles Blair Macdonald's ARROGANCE? Nobody mentioned it to you back then, you pretty much brought up the subject all by yourself on that particular thread which I must say was a quite original one. So how do you like them apples? Pretty interesting the way The World Turns, huh, Moriarty?  ;)

Please refer now to the following post and we should see who perhaps first floated the subject of CBM's arrogance on GOLFCLUBATLAS.com or at least who once seemed quite fascinated by the subject and apparently wanted to develop it and discuss it on this DG!

Frankly, I think the subject is a fascinating one and should be developed and discussed on here----the only problem is the author (Moriarty) seems to have had quite the change of heart and change of opinion, and he's now accusing others of denigrating Macdonald for suggesting he was arrogant perhaps about the way he approached and applied golf architecture. But again, we were not the first on here to make THAT claim----Moriarty made it himself on the "Did Macdonald 'Jump the Shark' with the Lido?" thread right around six years ago!   ;)

But just watch him try to weasel his way out of this one even though the evidence is right here loud and clear in textual black and white.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 03:47:29 PM by TEPaul »

TEPaul

FROM JUNE, 2003 Post by Moriarty!!     ??? ;)

"DMoriarty

Re:Did the Golden Age 'Jump the Shark' with the Lido?
« Reply #146 on: December 28, 2003, 07:35:14 PM »    Quote

Tommy,

You and I are of course talking about different things.  You are talking about importing golf to the US, spreading it across the country,  going forth and multiplying.  Call it golf manifest destiny, if you like.  

I am talking about the approach taken by golf course architects here (and there for that matter.)  Whether here or there, most were working within the general constraints of the land (Surrey apparently accepted.)   MacDonald was a revolutionary in that he went the opposite direction.

If I left the two of you to define and argue my premise, we'd never have had anything to talk about.   Eight pages in and you guys are still stuck in my first post, arguing issue that have been buried since the beginning.  
Quote from: jim_kennedy on December 28, 2003, 04:34:57 PM

Your ultimate point seems to be that Macdonald sinned greatly by pumping muck to make a golf course when others of the time were working in harmony with the land.

I never said MacDonald "sinned greatly" or that he had done something terrible, nor am I trying to run him down or smear his name.  I did say that he approached Lido entirely differently than others approached their projects, and this constituted a major break with the rest of the Golden Age.  

I also said that attempting the Lido was an act of arrogance on the part of the MacDonald, but I am certainly not the first to call C.B. arrogant, am I?  Any time an architect takes on a project for the thrill of becoming a "creator" and starts trying to match Nature bump for bump, I think it is fair to call them arrogant.  And by the way, I think what C.B. tried to do at NGLA was arrogant also (for different reasons), even though he pulled it off.

I think that this is a large part of the misunderstanding.  You guys mistake looking critically at one of the guy's projects with some sort of personal attack aimed at dimishing his greatness.   If we cant look critically at these guys' methods and approaches, then what the heck are we doing hanging around this website?
In your view this should be seen as detrimental and contrary to the "Golden Age".

Contrary to the Golden Age?  Yes, it most certainly was.  Contrary in the architect's approach to the existing landscape.  Others generally worked with the existing landscape, C.B. created his.  

But was it detrimental?  I admit that my first post treats the Lido as detrimental to GAA.  But, very early on, I repeatedly conceeded this point, emphasizing that I was not trying to prove C.B.'s was detrimental to the Golden Age. Nor was I trying to prove any causual connection between the Lido and the demise of the Age. Thus the discussion about the departure being a "symbolic" departure, not a causal one. Thus my continued focus on the "Contrary" prong.  Thus the description of the Lido as a modern course.  Thus no mention of the "Detrimental" prong in post 37, where I try to set out my entire position.  I dont know how I could have been more clear.  

If this was truly my issue then both sides have been wasting time, we ought to have been discussing other C.B. courses influenced by C.B.'s approach taken at the Lido.  [By the way, the two WWs would make that discussion very difficult, as they were intervening superceding causes.]

So we are left with the "Contrary" prong.  And the architecture at the Lido was contrary.  A reversal of the process.  Something out of Nothing, as opposed to Something out of Something.
  The major obstacle in your way, and one that you have yet to hurdle, is proving that Lido had any detrimental effect upon the golf course architecture of the time. This is the primary, salient point and one that you must successfully cross to continue on with the argument, that his "contrary to the time" building technique has any meaning whatsoever.
   Frankly, I don't think there is enough evidence in the historical record for you, or anyone, to "jump" the first hurdle.

As I have said above, proving detriment to other GA courses isnt my "primary, salient point" nor even my point at all.  It hasnt been for a very long time, if it ever was.   My concern is with whether Macdonald's approach was contrary to the others of the time.  The fact that there are no direct Golden Age descendents of the Lido bolsters my point, rather than tearing it down.  As I have said repeatedly, regading MacDonald's approach to the using Nature and the natural landscape, the Lido was a modern course, not a Golden Age course.  

Why is it that you guys want to continue to argue with points I have conceded?  Perhaps we agree with everything else?  Perhaps you agree that, in process, the Lido is a modern course, and that it represented a major departure from the rest of the Golden Age?"

« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 02:51:09 PM by TEPaul »

Tom MacWood

Tom MacWood;

Interesting response!  ;)

It looks like you just had some kind of RED and YELLOW psychological flame-out out there in Ohio at your computer.

Never mind then; the list of people who find it virtually impossible to conduct any kind of conversation with you on here continues to grow!  ::)

TEP
Forgive me. I find it very difficult to have a serious conversation with someone who presents himself as knowedgable who in actuallity has limited knowledge and who continually distorts the few facts that he does know.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 03:18:15 PM by Tom MacWood »

TEPaul

Tom MacWood:

You are forgiven by all means. I've actually come to feel quite sorry for you. Take it easy---I think you need a rest and probably a good and long one.

As for Ekwanok and Travis, I checked with Bob Labbance's associate who said he thinks the mention of Travis co-designing with John Duncan Dunn in the fall of 1899 comes from the club's history that includes hotel records and such.

So, this seems to be about the sixth course where Tom MacWood is claiming the club is wrong and he's right. I guess it pretty much gets down to who's going to believe some old indirect newspaper and magazine articles that Tom MacWood has and makes more out of then they even say and whose going to believe what the club has? It pretty much always boils down to that on here with you, it seems, so I guess we'll just have to leave it at that-----eg Tom MacWood claiming he's right and also claiming nobody else has the FACTS but him!  ;)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 03:18:53 PM by TEPaul »

Tom MacWood

Tom MacWood:

You are forgiven by all means. I've actually come to feel quite sorry for you. Take it easy---I think you need a rest and probably a good and long one.

TEP
Thats very kind of you - I have found it good to take some time to recharge the battery from time to time. Based on the bizarre emails and IMs you have been sending me perhaps we could both use a rest.  

TEPaul

I'm sorry if you find my emails to you recently like the one asking you if you'd reconsider helping a number of us out on the USGA Architecture Archive bizarre. I note here I never got a response on that. Would you like to respond to that one here? That just showed me again pretty much where you seem to be coming from on the entire subject of golf course architecture and its history.

But never mind----we can call it a day if you think you need to take a rest. I think that time has come.

Tom MacWood

I'm sorry if you find my emails to you recently like the one asking you if you'd reconsider helping a number of us out on the USGA Architecture Archive bizarre. I note here I never got a response on that. Would you like to respond to that one here? That just showed me again pretty much where you seem to be coming from on the entire subject of golf course architecture and its history.

But never mind----we can call it a day if you think you need to take a rest. I think that time has come.

TEP
I don't respond to any of your messages. Its difficult to take the uninsulting messages seriously in between the insulting messages.

And why would I want to be involved with someone who has spent the last several years insulting and berating me -- publicly and privately? If the USGA was truly interested you would be the last person they would send to engage me. I have a very good relationship with them, and have for several years, and they are very aware of my opinion of you.  

DMoriarty

TEPaul,

Let me make sure I understand you?  Your support for your repeated assertion that CBM was arrogant in his approach to golf course architecture is some misunderstanding you have about a single post of mine taken out of the context of a 6 year old thread?   If you say so.    

I haven't read that thread lately, nor do I plan to.  After all it is six years old.  But if I recall it correctly, I still believe much of what I wrote but some of it I might reconsider.  I'd certainly present the entire thing differently, as I think I largely failed to get my point across.  I've learned a lot since then, and while much of what I have learned has reinforced my beliefs surely some have changed.  If my beliefs haven't changed, then I've been wasting my time.    

I don't think the thread has much relevance here, especially since you didn't understand my point then and apparently still don't.   I still view what CBM tried to do at Lido as arrogant, although I think he learned from the experience.   I also think what he tried to do at NGLA took a certain amount of arrogance, but without it he never would have been able to accomplish what he did.

If you want to adopt my position from 2003 on the issue, be my guest, but you've got a ways to go before you understand it.   Meanwhile, you still have not provided any FACTUAL BASIS for your claim.

As always, I remain ready for a fact based discussion.

As always, you fail to produce any facts that support your point.  
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 05:11:49 PM by DMoriarty »
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back