News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ronald Montesano

Re: GCA Mock Fantasy Draft
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2009, 03:33:46 PM »
Yeah, stick him with Sebonack...oh wait, CBM didn't do that one, either...how about Chicago GC in Shinny's place?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Jim Colton

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2009, 03:35:56 PM »
Count me in Jim. And we definitely should have thrown together a GCA.com hoops league.

Patrick, that wouldn't have been fair to the rest of the competitors.

Jaeger,  I'll let you replace your pick on Fishers.  But from now on, when a pick is made and that designer isn't listed on one of those sites (or the course website), then you forfeit that course and don't get to replace it.  I don't want this to spiral into a 'who did what/where' debate.

JC is on the clock...

1. JUD: MacKenzie - Crystal Downs, Cypress Point, Palmetto
2. Jaeger: CBM - National, Shinnecock, ?
3. Jay: Strantz - MPCC Shore, Bulls Bay, Tobacco Road
4. JC
5. Mac - on autodraft
6. Alex
7. Ron
8. Eric
9. Tim
10. Patrick

DMoriarty

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2009, 03:38:45 PM »
Wait a minute:  Jaeger...CBM didn't do Shinny!

Arrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Jay Flemma

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2009, 03:41:38 PM »
From GCA.com:  ran's review of Shinny -

"However, the credit fortoday’s ruthlesslyperfect coursedoes not lie with Dunn or Macdonald/Raynor, who consulted with the club during the 1910s. In 1927,the main east-west highway was extended through to Easthamptonand Highway 27 bisected Dunn’s golf course. With the increase in train travel and with the club unable to acquire insurance to handle the doubling crossing of the road and the train tracks, the club had little alternative but to purchase additional land to the northandto forgo theportion of the course that lay to the south of the road. This was no great loss as the newly acquired land was superior in all respects. The club hired the architecture firm of Toomey & Flynn to build a neweighteen hole course.

Work commenced in 1928 led by constructionsuperintendent William F. Gordon, and 150 indians were employeedto help with the task.Dick Wilson worked under Gordon as the labor foreman. The course re-opened for play in 1931 and itremainsToomey & Flynn’sundoubted masterpiece to this day.

Located on an expansive260 acreblock of land, Toomey & Flynn took full advantage of the scale of the property with a brilliant routing. A majority of the holes bend one way or another, thus the golfer is forever figuring out which way the wind is attacking for each shot. There are only two times (with thesecond and third and theeleventh and twelfthholes) where consecutive holes run in the same direction."
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

JC Jones

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2009, 03:53:07 PM »
Ross:

Pinehurst #2
Seminole
Wannamoisett
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Jim Colton

« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2009, 04:03:36 PM »
Just so we can stay on task, if the guy is listed on one of those sources, then it's a valid pick.  I repeat, I don't want this thread to spiral out of control in a debate over who did what.  I respectfully ask that you start another thread if you want to go there.  Just like in fantasy, there are multi-position guys that one can take advantage of if they choose to.

1. JUD: MacKenzie - Crystal Downs, Cypress Point, Palmetto
2. Jaeger: CBM - National, Shinnecock, ?
3. Jay: Strantz - MPCC Shore, Bulls Bay, Tobacco Road
4. JC: Ross - Pinehurst #2, Seminole, Wannamoisett
5. Mac: Dye - Kiawah Ocean, Pete Dye Golf Club of WV, and The Golf Club
6. Alex
7. Ron
8. Eric
9. Tim
10. Patrick
11. ...

Alex on the clock (since you can't play it today, then let's go w/ no on Lido)...

« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 04:41:18 PM by Jim Colton »

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2009, 04:15:30 PM »
Mac,

You like PD of WV?  No kidding...ha ha hardy har...good choices so far, all.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2009, 04:20:08 PM »
In round two we reverse the order, correct?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2009, 04:48:08 PM »
I'd participate but having trouble seeing the point of this exercise.  ;D

At least with fantasy football, basketball, baseball,  etc, the draft is only the 1st part...the games are then played with varying rosters to determine a "winner".

Jim can you clarify this?   ;)

Jim Colton

« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2009, 04:52:18 PM »
Kalen,

There is no point.  There are mock drafts for most of the sports, mostly so so-called experts can opine and who made good picks, who made bad picks, who pulled out a sleeper, who won, etc.  For the participants, I'm sure there is some enjoyment out of analyzing their options and deciding what to pick, even if ownership doesn't get you anything tangible.

Note: For purposes of the draft, we'll include any courses that are 'in the dirt' and scheduled to open in the next 12 mos. as eligible (Old Mac, Lost Farms, etc.)

« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 04:55:00 PM by Jim Colton »

Jud_T

« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2009, 04:53:57 PM »
How about moving us to the top of the membership wait list?   :o
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Kalen Braley

« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2009, 04:54:48 PM »
Kalen,

There is no point.  There are mock drafts for most of the sports, mostly so so-called experts can opine and who made good picks, who made bad picks, who pulled out a sleeper, who won, etc.  For the participants, I'm sure there is some enjoyment out of analyzing their options and deciding what to pick, even if ownership doesn't get you anything tangible.

Sorry,

Wasn't trying to rain on the parade, was just trying to figure out the end result of it all... I realize now the process is the meat of it so to speak.

P.S.  Can I pick Ted Robinson?  I'm a sucker for waterfalls and fountains!!  ;D

Jim Colton

« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2009, 04:57:24 PM »
Kalen,

Does that mean you are in?

Alex Miller

« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2009, 05:09:01 PM »
Sorry about the delay... I had class.

I'll take Tilly for

1. San Francisco Golf Club
2. Bethpage Black
3. Winged Foot West

...wish I had a links though... :)

Jay Flemma

« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2009, 05:13:47 PM »
Jim, from time to time, please post the "scoreboard" so we have easy access to who picked what without havign to switch pages and such.  Thanks.
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Jim Colton

« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2009, 05:26:47 PM »
1. Jud Tigerman: MacKenzie - Crystal Downs, Cypress Point, Palmetto
2. Jaeger Kovich: CBM - National, Shinnecock, ?
3. Jay Flemma: Strantz - MPCC Shore, Bulls Bay, Tobacco Road
4. JC Jones: Ross - Pinehurst #2, Seminole, Wannamoisett
5. Mac Plumart: Dye - Kiawah Ocean, Pete Dye Golf Club of WV, and The Golf Club
6. Alex Miller: Tillinghast - San Francisco Golf Club, Bethpage Black, Winged Foot (West)
7. Ron Montesano: Perry Maxwell - Old Town Club, Southern Hills and Prairie Dunes
8. Eric Smith - on the clock
9. Tim Bert
10. Patrick Hodgdon
11. Kalen Braley (?)
12 Jim Colton

I will take the 12th pick and if all goes well I will make my first round pick tonight.  If anybody else wants in the first round, they can make their pick after number 12.  I will wait to make the first pick of the 2nd round until tomorrow morning, leaving time for anybody who wants to get in on the tail end of round 1.

Eric Smith

« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2009, 05:31:07 PM »
Well Sonja Henie's out, I'll take Danny Noo...er, I mean

Old Tom Morris 
Royal County Down   
Muirfield   
Royal Dornoch

Tim Bert

« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2009, 05:42:34 PM »
Hold on a second... I didn't realize this exercise was pointless!!!  I want out.

PS - Just kidding since it is almost my turn.

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2009, 05:45:19 PM »
Hold on a second... I didn't realize this exercise was pointless!!!  I want out.

PS - Just kidding since it is almost my turn.

It is your turn! Clocks ticking or we're going to put you on autopick!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 05:49:38 PM by Patrick Hodgdon »
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

Tim Bert

« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2009, 05:59:03 PM »
Mike Hendren and a thousand others will never let this one go... but I'll be the sacrificial lamb!

Pacific Dunes
Ballyneal
Old Mac (based on the praise of the biased Mr. Urbina)

"I'm on a Doak!"

Kalen Braley

« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2009, 06:06:00 PM »
ok I'm in...

Taking Flynn with Shinny, Philly Country club, and The Country Club.

P.S.  Tim ur such a noser!!   ;D  ;)

P.P.S...oh wait that is if Patrick don't pick him/those courses...
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 06:08:10 PM by Kalen Braley »

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2009, 06:08:58 PM »
Good choice Tim as that was at the top of my "queue"....

And I should totally just steal Kalen's picks after he "jumped in" when it wasn't even his turn. A real fantasy commish would take away his second round pick for that. ;)

I'll go with Coore/Crenshaw...

Sand Hills
Friar's Head
Bandon Trails

G.M. Patrick had this to say about the pick, "You know anytime you can get the #3 course in the world (according to the esteemed site www.golfblog100.com) with the #10 #11 pick you know you just got a steal, not to mention the other two that come with which are pretty special in their own right. And with each of the 3 in a different geographic area of the U.S. no matter where I might be traveling I'll be able to get to one of "my" courses pretty easily which is a big plus that I think some of the other G.M.'s might have over-looked with their picks. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing who and what's left on the board at #15 #14."
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

Tim Bert

« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2009, 06:18:02 PM »
Good choice Tim as that was at the top of my "queue"....

And I should totally just steal Kalen's picks after he "jumped in" when it wasn't even his turn. A real fantasy commish would take away his second round pick for that. ;)

I'll go with Coore/Crenshaw...

Sand Hills
Friar's Head
Bandon Trails

G.M. Patrick had this to say about the pick, "You know anytime you can get the #3 course in the world (according to the esteemed site www.golfblog100.com) with the #10 #11 pick you know you just got a steal, not to mention the other two that come with which are pretty special in their own right. And with each of the 3 in a different geographic area of the U.S. no matter where I might be traveling I'll be able to get to one of "my" courses pretty easily which is a big plus that I think some of the other G.M.'s might have over-looked with their picks. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing who and what's left on the board at #15 #14."

Patrick you can join me as a guest at the Bandon courses and Ballyneal if you reciprocate with Trails and Sand Hills.  You strayed a little with Friar's Head though.  We could have been golfing buddies for life...

Jim Colton

« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2009, 06:30:54 PM »
ROUND ONE
1. Jud Tigerman: MacKenzie - Crystal Downs, Cypress Point, Palmetto
2. Jaeger Kovich: CBM - The National, Shinnecock, Chicago Golf
3. Jay Flemma: Strantz - MPCC Shore, Bulls Bay, Tobacco Road
4. JC Jones: Ross - Pinehurst #2, Seminole, Wannamoisett
5. Mac Plumart: Dye - Kiawah Ocean, Pete Dye Golf Club of WV, and The Golf Club
6. Alex Miller: Tillinghast - San Francisco Golf Club, Bethpage Black, Winged Foot (West)
7. Ron Montesano: Perry Maxwell - Old Town Club, Southern Hills and Prairie Dunes
8. Eric Smith: Old Tom - Royal County Down, Muirfield, Royal Dornoch
9. Tim B-Boy-Bert: New Tom - Pacific Dunes, Ballyneal, Old Mac
10. Kalen Braley: William Flynn - Philly Country Club, The Country Club (Shinny already picked so no soup for you!)
11. Patrick Hodgdon - Sand Hills, Friars Head, Bandon Trails
12. Jim Colton: HS Colt - Pine Valley, Royal Portrush, Sunningdale (Old)
13. ?

The first round is now open!  Join the fray by adding your pick of architect and three courses.  First come, first served.  Round two will start tomorrow morning with me or whoever ends up having the last pick in Rd. 1
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 06:37:04 PM by Jim Colton »

Alex Miller

« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2009, 06:38:53 PM »
Jaeger-

Perhaps fill that question mark of yours with Yale or Mid-Ocean. Just a suggestion so we don't have to look at an incomplete draft board!  ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back