News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Warren

The European Club - more pics added
« on: October 25, 2009, 10:19:40 PM »
As part of my quick trip over to Wicklow, I managed to get a look at The European Club.

I got a bit unlucky with the weather - with gusts recorded at over 100km/h (65mph) through the day: Foam from the sea was landing on parts of the course about 500m inland! - but a mate and I soldiered on and enjoyed using some imagination to keep the ball out of the wind. The Irish Mid-Amateur was being played the same day, and I will be shocked if the winner carded sub-80.

Some of the narrower holes were pretty interesting (some extra width might not hurt on 4, 10 and 11 and around a few greens), but all told it was a thrilling (if often penal) golf course run by one of the very best men I have met in my golf travels. I was lucky to get a few minutes with Pat Ruddy before we teed off and count it among my favourite memories of my first year playing holf in GB&I.

Sure, there are some flat lies where a bulldozer has been liberally used, and some man-made mounds surround a few greens that steal the eye away from other natural contours, but I like and respect Mr Ruddy's mindset that TEC is his attempt at combining the traditions of links golf with a desire to push forward.

Below are a few pics that caught my eye:

The par three 6th, a tough dropshot to a green flanked by a creek and a timber-faced bunker (the style of all the traps at TEC), with a lovely outlook.

Looking down to the 7th green and beyond.

It's a pity the hole listed as 7a isn't part of the main 18 holes - it looked to me to be the best one-shotter on the property.

The approach to the 8th. You drive through the saddle of two dunes, but the downslope is maintained as rough to stop your ball cascading down, leaving a mere wedge in. It's a pity, because the approach would be tougher from down there, to a green you'd struggle to see the surface of.

The 8th green. Can't say I love the mound that has been built on the right-hand-side, but a great green otherwise.

The 10th green, which set up nicely for a running approach, the ball feeding left towards the bunker if you weren't careful.

The most famous view at TEC, the 12th tee. So begins a run of four holes along he coast that take your breath away.

The 13th tee, a cool par five with a massive kidney-shaped green that can alter the hole strategy massively.

Looking across the 13th green.

Looking back down the 13th.

A slice of luck at the 14th!

The one thing that left me shaking my head: the par four 16th offers you bunkers right and left from the tee, and this patch of 2 to 3-inch rough in the centre of the fairway. Why?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 05:36:26 AM by Scott Warren »

Jim Tang

Re: The European Club - pics
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 10:32:58 PM »
Scott -

Very nice pictures.  When I was in Ireland this past summer, I had thought about playing TEC, but time and money prevented me from doing so.  Now, having seen your pictures, I wish I had somehow found a way to fit it in.  There are just too many great golf courses to see in Ireland during one trip.

Scott Warren

Re: The European Club - pics
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 05:36:03 AM »
The tee shot at the par five third brings the ocean into view for the first time.

The approach to the fifth, an off-camber dogleg left.

The te shot at the 11th, the penultimate hole in a stretch of six consecutive punishing par fours of more than 400 yards.

The approach to the 11th

The other spare hole, 12a, is a par three playing in the opposite direction of 12-15, which all head north up the coast. Behind 7a, it may well be the second best short hole on the property.

The par four 17th drops from a raised tee down into a valley, before climbing the hill to a fun green.

Emil Weber

Re: The European Club - more pics added
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 05:46:45 AM »
Thanks very much for those pics!

I played TEC in 2005 but somehow I cant remember much of the course (usually I can recall every hole of 95% of the courses I play), and these pics certainly refresh my memory. Looks like a great course.

Scott Warren

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 05:55:36 AM »
To be fair to you, Emil, you were 11 then, yeah? ;D

Emil Weber

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 06:31:16 AM »
Nah 12, to be exact ;D

Yeah I'm just realizing playing a course like this at 12 years of age... ::)

Carl Nichols

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 08:58:23 AM »
I played TEC back in late July on a spectacular day, before heading up to Dublin for the U2 concert.  (Yes, that was a great day.)  I thought there were some incredible holes [like the back nine stretch Scott mentions], but I also thought that it was just too narrow in many places, even on a calm day like the one we had.  On several holes missing a very narrow fairway meant you were in very thick, knee-high rough, which could get old on a very windy day. 

Anthony Gray

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 09:52:09 AM »

Scott,

Can you stay on site?

Anthony

Scott Warren

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 10:43:39 AM »
I don't believe so, Anthony.

James Boon

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 03:51:06 AM »
Scott,

Thanks for the pictures. There look to be some really good holes out there.

You say that the 2 'extra' par 3s are somje of the best holes? When and how are they used? I can think of several parkland courses that have extra holes because they will close holes in the winter that get too wet, but I can't imagine thats a problem on a links course?

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 03:54:46 AM »
James - as far as I'm aware the two extra par threes are available for play all the time and you can choose to play them or not as you will. Pat felt they were good holes, and although he already had 18, he wanted to build them. So he did.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Scott Warren

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2009, 04:03:16 AM »
Adam, that was my understanding also, though we were advised upon arrival that they were shut that day. Perhaps that was due to the Mid-Am being on, I'm not sure.

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2009, 04:07:38 PM »
Great pictures Scott.

I played TEC in 2003 whilst in Dublin to watch England clinch the Grand Slam en route to winning the World Cup later that year.  I presume you remember that? ;D

I was very impressed with TEC, apart from the pond in front of the 18th (which I think has since been replaced by a burn?).  I'd like to get back there but haven't been back to Ireland since.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Scott Warren

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2009, 04:29:42 PM »
Great pictures Scott.

I played TEC in 2003 whilst in Dublin to watch England clinch the Grand Slam en route to winning the World Cup later that year.  I presume you remember that? ;D

I was very impressed with TEC, apart from the pond in front of the 18th (which I think has since been replaced by a burn?).  I'd like to get back there but haven't been back to Ireland since.

Yeah, it has Andrew, here's how it looks now. Still doesn't really fit the eye, IMO, but at least looks moderately linksy. Speaking of 18, I had this strange feeling standing on the 18th tee that I was back on the 9th. They seemed so similar.

I think it's great how vividly English sports fans remember their moments in the sun! Mind you, with fewer glories to remember, I guess it's easier to retain the detail ;D

Scott Warren

Re: The European Club - more pics added New
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2009, 07:54:48 AM »
I just heard back from TEC. The winner of the Irish Mid-Amateur, a +3 handicapper who is European Mid-Am Champion, shot 81, such was the wind!!

I am feeling pretty good, in light of that, about my 87!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 09:59:00 AM by Scott Warren »

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2009, 09:51:30 AM »
Maybe GCA's own Ken Kearney was playing in this?

Dónal.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back