News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

archie_struthers

Re: Regardless of the architect, what would you ASK them to create?
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2009, 01:10:46 PM »
 ;D :D ;)

V. Kmetz fine post regarding the superintendent being integral to the eventual success , and stealing (lol) a local one is really smart.
When we built Twisted Dune I hired a fairly young superintendent named (32-33)  Steve Lane who had worked at Galloway National during construction and grow in..he had then gone to Hawaii and ran a 36 hole facility but was a Jersey boy with a young family who was looking to come home .

Having him on board thru-out the construction was the best hire we could have made  ,  and totally validates your intuitive need to have this guy in place early on ...very well said ..! ;D ;) ;D

Tom_Doak

« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2009, 01:18:02 PM »

I know a group of people who could form a syndicate to do a deal like this...but I would like to be able to do it by myself.  But of course I am thinking $50 million would be a minimum required (assuming the thing won't be profitable) and I don't have $50 million.  So...it is a pipe dream for now.

So much for your business plan abilities!

If the place costs more than $20 million you're dead on arrival, even in a metropolitan area ... you are GUARANTEED to lose money.  And if your architect needed $50 million to create his dream course, he's not that creative. 

Sand Hills cost $6 million, all in.  Barnbougle was even less than that.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2009, 02:45:45 PM »

I know a group of people who could form a syndicate to do a deal like this...but I would like to be able to do it by myself.  But of course I am thinking $50 million would be a minimum required (assuming the thing won't be profitable) and I don't have $50 million.  So...it is a pipe dream for now.

So much for your business plan abilities!

If the place costs more than $20 million you're dead on arrival, even in a metropolitan area ... you are GUARANTEED to lose money.  And if your architect needed $50 million to create his dream course, he's not that creative.  

Sand Hills cost $6 million, all in.  Barnbougle was even less than that.

I knew someone might say that...I don't mean $50 million to build the course alone.  Use part of that to support myself, my family, college costs, etc.

Then buy the land, build the facilities, hire the right people and run it into the future without any worries at all about finances or the use of debt.

$50 million probably just a dumb # that was thrown out...but I am picking through all the information I canget to derive a more real number taking into account all of the moving pieces.  Mike Youngs...Was golf ever meant to make money hs yielded some great info.

Whether the # I used i valid or not...the point is to have enough money to never ever worry abouy about finances and to avoid something like the Erni Hills situation.

make sense?

Never the less...funny quote on my business plan abilities!  ;)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 03:27:26 PM by Mac Plumart »
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

R.S._Barker

« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2009, 06:49:21 PM »
I would envision an 18 hole design having:

Natural bunkers similar to Prairie Dunes and Lido
Pot bunkers where applicable (read: Road, Eden)
Fairways that are wide, whilst propagating choice for all levels of player (Read: Strategy, MacKenzie)
Investment into green complexes akin to Mike Strantz design (read: multiple green within green philosophy)
Links style appeal

Whilst the topography needs to fit the hole I would request that the 22 Classic Hole Design checklist be used in order to create a layout that pays tribute to the finest courses in the world.

or just rebuild The Lido Club...

Jud_T

« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2009, 09:01:04 PM »
Just build the best course possible for the property. If that means par 68 and 6200 fine.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tony Ristola

« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2009, 06:55:08 AM »
What would you ask of the architect?
His time.
The most valuable asset any architect can bring to his work.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2009, 08:27:18 PM »
How about just a course you can never get tired of playing.  Does the direction to the GCA need to be any more complicated?

Joe Hancock

« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2009, 08:37:16 PM »
How about just a course you can never get tired of playing.  Does the direction to the GCA need to be any more complicated?

Your criteria is more dependent on the client than it is the architect.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back