News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Trey Kemp

Erin Hills - Sold
« on: October 22, 2009, 04:19:00 PM »
twitter.com/TreyKempGCA

jonathan_becker

Re: Erin Hills - Sold
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 04:20:34 PM »
Paging Mike Wagner.....anything to add?

PThomas

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 04:24:22 PM »
very surprising. considering Mr Lang's passion for it...although it states he "exhausted his resources"
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Adam Clayman

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 05:31:35 PM »
Jim Reinhart, a former vice president of the United States Golf Association and a former minority partner in Erin Hills, will serve on the board, Ziegler said.

Nuff said.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Mark Smolens

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 05:37:43 PM »
What qualifies someone as a "typical bad 6 handicap" player?

This news strikes me as very surprising, tho the members of this Board should be overjoyed by the proscription of carts when the course re-opens next summer.  This will certainly cut down on the crowds as EH is not an easy walk. . .

Mac Plumart

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 06:43:57 PM »
It says the purchase price was not disclosed.  Do any of you guys have a feel for what the cost would be to buy a course like this?  I saw that the Pete Dye Golf Club of WV either sold or had an asking price of $7.8 million.  I am correct on this information?  And would Erin Hills be in the ball park?  Or is it apples to oranges?

Curious.

Thanks.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Mike Wagner

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 06:44:57 PM »
Not much to add here...it's been in the works for a while.

I will say this:

I had the great pleasure of getting to know Bob Lang this summer.  He is an exceptional human being and his passion for EH (and golf) is inspiring.  I feel bad it had to happen, but it is ultimately a good thing for EH.  The vision will continue forward.

Bob had a great vision for the place, and he made it happen.  His reverance for the game is something we should all share.

Rob Rigg

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 07:00:24 PM »
Did Mr Lang's quest for an Open lead to his over-extension?

How much was spent on "fixing up" the course the past twelve months?

Sad to see this happen because he clearly had an incredible amount of passion for the project.

At least the new owner is a committed local with solid finances.

Jud_T

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 07:05:17 PM »
WOW.  agree that this is one of the tougher courses to walk....now I'm really looking forward to seeing how it grows in next year....
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Mac Plumart

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 07:10:01 PM »
I am wondering aloud and potentially showing my ignorance...but I don't care about that as in order to learn, I must.

Anyway, Mr. Lang sold the course and should have got a wad of money.  And he signed a multi-year consulting contract with the course.  So, he is still involved with it and financially he should be solid.

Mr. Zieglar seems to say many appropriate things and his vision for the course seems similiar to Mr. Lang's.  Shouldn't this course continue to be excellent and, perhaps, get even better?

Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2009, 07:21:55 PM »
It says the purchase price was not disclosed.  Do any of you guys have a feel for what the cost would be to buy a course like this?  I saw that the Pete Dye Golf Club of WV either sold or had an asking price of $7.8 million.  I am correct on this information?  And would Erin Hills be in the ball park?  Or is it apples to oranges?

Curious.

Thanks.

There are some great deals out there right now, according to golf course brokers.  I don't think the Pete Dye in WV has that high an asking price.  There is a PD course near Vail that has an asking price of $3.2M right now.

I would think a bank would make that loan, plus first year ops expense to a qualified operator.  Even if they go under, the bank takes the course back and its value must surely be better in a few years time, in a place like Vail, no?

If you had millions, you could collect signature courses to own like some guys collect scorecards right now.  Or at least like some guys collect club memberships.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Chris Kaebisch

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2009, 07:40:16 PM »
Wagon Boy-   How are ya bud?   Cabush here!!!    Bittersweet day here at Erin Hills!

Mike Wagner

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2009, 07:48:49 PM »
KaiBOSH!!  Oh god, you made the mistake of getting in here.....now I'll walk in on YOU in the shop staring at the screen!

J_ Crisham

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2009, 07:55:52 PM »
WOW.  agree that this is one of the tougher courses to walk....now I'm really looking forward to seeing how it grows in next year....
Jud,  I walked this course and didn't think it that bad-a bit of rolling elevation but pretty doable. I'm closer to 50 than 40 so it's not like I'm a 22 yr old. Just my opinion.       Jack

PThomas

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2009, 10:14:44 AM »
someone said its a 9 mile walk to walk the course; can anyone confrim that?
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Jud_T

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2009, 10:58:58 AM »
I remember some pretty long green to tee walks and some pretty big hills, but it's doable.  I certainly wouldn't recommend carrying there unless you're in tip-top shape.....
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

jonathan_becker

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2009, 11:01:26 AM »

I've been told this as well on 2 different occassions from 2 different starters.

Jim Colton

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2009, 11:14:56 AM »
Does this help or hurt EH's chances of getting the 2017 U.S. Open?  It certainly seems like the business model was predicated on the benefits that would come from landing a major.

I think the EH saga would make a fascinating case study.

Chris Kaebisch

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2009, 11:21:06 AM »
Oh boy Potsy-  I love all the opinions and speculation on here.  It's really unbeleievable!   Any topics you want me to cover wagon boy?

Eric Smith

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2009, 11:45:01 AM »
Not much to add here...it's been in the works for a while.

I will say this:

I had the great pleasure of getting to know Bob Lang this summer.  He is an exceptional human being and his passion for EH (and golf) is inspiring.  I feel bad it had to happen, but it is ultimately a good thing for EH.  The vision will continue forward.

Bob had a great vision for the place, and he made it happen.  His reverance for the game is something we should all share.

I imagine this hurts quite a bit for Mr. Lang as Erin Hills was his baby and wouldn't be surprised in the least if he didn't someday parlay the experience into a new and perhaps even better idea.

Chris Kaebisch

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2009, 11:47:51 AM »
It has been very bittersweet around Erin Hills these past couple of weeks.  The future looks very bright for Erin Hills!

Dan Moore

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2009, 12:08:51 PM »

Paul,  think about that for a minute and you'll realize how ridiculous that is.  8,500 yards is a little under 5 miles.  There is no possible way it could be 9 miles unless you parked at Holy Hill.

while its not the easiest walk anybody who normally walks can handle it. 
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Tom_Doak

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2009, 01:05:37 PM »
Nine miles does seem like an exaggeration, but it could easily be 8 to 8.5 miles to play all the back tees.  Consider:

Playing length, as you say, is 5 miles.

If the green-to-tee walks are each 100 yards, that's 1700 yards, or one more mile.

Many of the walks to the back tees are quite long walk-backs, I'd guess that is at least one more mile for the total.

So we're up to 7 miles, and we haven't included anything to get to the clubhouse and back, or accounted for the fact that nobody hits the ball down the sprinkler line and walks the shortest distance the whole way round.

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2009, 01:16:12 PM »
I remember some pretty long green to tee walks and some pretty big hills, but it's doable.  I certainly wouldn't recommend carrying there unless you're in tip-top shape.....

I walked and carried there...did not think it that bad.  I've hoofed it at much harder places.
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Jud_T

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2009, 01:28:42 PM »
evan-

on that note i'm signing off and heading for the gym!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back