News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Marty Bonnar

WELL DONE, MARTIN LAIRD.

Nice first name too...

First of many more, young man. Well done!

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

RJ_Daley

Re: Little OT: The Lone Saltire amongst all them Ole' Glories....
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 06:15:30 PM »
aye Martie, I di' no' know wat a Saltire were til I look'd it up.  A a crux decussate upun which Sain Andrew was martyr'd appearin upun yer flag.  Lost Wages seems to be a good place fer Scots.  ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 06:20:10 PM »
aye Martie, I di' no' know wat a Saltire were til I look'd it up.  A a crux decussate upun which Sain Andrew was martyr'd appearin upun yer flag.  Lost Wages seems to be a good place fer Scots.  ;D

There's a HUGE one adjacent to the clubhouse at Kingsbarns which was a decent aiming point from certain parts of the 9th fairway. I told one US golfer: "Aim for the big flag"
He replied: "What, the Swedish one?"

Edumacashun is a wunderfol thing
 ;D
neffers Mart.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 06:32:19 PM »
Martin -

It was nice to see a Scot win a tournament. It has been a long dry spell.
I remember seeing Mark Warren play some great golf teamed with Colin Montgomerie to win the World Cup a couple of years ago.
I thought he might use that experience as a springboard to playing at a higher level, but it did not happen.
It would be nice to see at least one Scot on the Ryder Cup team next year.

DT

Carl Nichols

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 08:59:14 PM »
Having lived in Edinburgh for a few months, I have great affection for the Scots, and I was rooting for him to win.  BUT, in the five holes I watched [the end of his round plus the playoff], he was incredibly, painfully slow.  I expect things to get a little slower at that stage of a tourney, but his pace was beyond acceptable. . . . each time he stepped away from a shot and restarted his routine, all I could think about was all of the junior golfers out there who were going to start emulating him.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 04:00:33 AM »
Laird won't play in the Ryder Cup team, he's not a member of the European Tour.

Nice to see him win and, for the second year running, play his way to retaining his card right at the end of the season.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 06:25:14 AM »
Mark

I'll guarantee that if Marty L. keeps up his form he'll become a member of the Euro Tour in time for the RC as fast as you can say Zola Budd, unless Melvyn gets him kicked off the team for slow play.

The guy has grit.

Rich

Mark Pearce

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 06:28:35 AM »
Mark

I'll guarantee that if Marty L. keeps up his form he'll become a member of the Euro Tour in time for the RC as fast as you can say Zola Budd, unless Melvyn gets him kicked off the team for slow play.

The guy has grit.

Rich
Difficult.  I can't see him agreeing a schedule which includes 12/13 European Tour events next season since he won't qualify for the 7 dual PGA/European Tour events that most of the players who play on both sides of the Atlantic use to satisfy the requirements of both tours.  That is, of course, unless he wins again early in the year and in something big enough to move him into the world top 50.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Dan King

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 10:40:11 AM »
Gotta share a nice Alistair Cooke quote:

"The emblem on the necktie reserved for the members of the Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St. Andrews -- The Vatican of golf -- is of St.
Andrew himself bearing the saltire cross on which, once he was captured at Patras, he was to be stretched before he was crucified. Only the Scots would have thought of celebrating a national game with the figure of a tortured saint."

--Alistair Cooke

Cheers,
Dan King
[Golfers] are a special kind of moral realist who nips the normal romantic and idealistic yearnings in the bud by proving once or twice a week that life is unconquerable but endurable.
 --Alistair Cooke

Rich Goodale

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2009, 12:39:59 AM »
Mark

The guy has grit.

Rich
Difficult.  I can't see him agreeing a schedule which includes 12/13 European Tour events next season since he won't qualify for the 7 dual PGA/European Tour events that most of the players who play on both sides of the Atlantic use to satisfy the requirements of both tours.  That is, of course, unless he wins again early in the year and in something big enough to move him into the world top 50.

Mark

Laird was given a Euro PGA card a few days ago, and is now eligible for the Ryder Cup.  He starts from zero in terms of qualification (i.e. the $1.2 million he earned in the US up through his win doesn't "count"), but as he shot 62 yesterday in Arizona to move up to 16th, his vein of form seems to be continuing.  If it keeps up, expect him as a Captain's pick, that is if Monty can stomach the fact that fellow Scot Marty already has more US Tour victories than he has....... ;)

Rich

PS--there is a precedent in Peter Oosterhuis, who was regularly chosen for the RC in the 70's when he was playing full time on the US tour.

rfg

Mark Pearce

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2009, 04:43:31 AM »
Rich,

Yes, I saw that. He has also suggested that he'll use the exemption he now has in the US to play enough European events to retain his membership.  That'll be easier, of course, if he can play his way into the top 50 and get to play four majors and three WGC events.

A disappointing 3rd round in Scottsdale last night, however.

Mark

Rich Goodale

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2009, 07:41:48 AM »
Mark

I suppose a 62 is disappointing if the guy leading has just shot two 61s..... ;)

Rich

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back