News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brent Hutto

A Visit to Ganton (June, 2010)
« on: October 20, 2009, 07:35:38 AM »
If I'm going to make an overseas trip in 2010 my time and budget will be somewhat constrained. Of the places near the top of my personal Must See list, the best value for money appears to be playing for several days at Ganton with possible side trips to a course or two elsewhere in Yorkshire.

I have at most seven days including travel time and my budget limitations remove any temptation to seek out 100-quid-and-up clubs. It also means finding reasonably priced B&B type accommodation outside major towns and cities. Nothing to do with budget but I am also developing an appreciation for staying in one place with minimum "windshield time", packing and unpacking. Especially on a visit which puts me "in country" for no more than six nights total.

So plans will not be set for at least a month or two and it's still 50/50 whether I make the crossing at all next year. But if I do it will almost certainly be the week of June 2-7 and it will very likely involve 2, 3 or even 4 days play at Ganton. That is about two weeks before they host the Ladies' British Open Amateur Championship 22nd to 26th June 2010 and I'm a little concerned that the club may be growing the rough to super-penal length and extent in preparation for that even. A course like Ganton can no doubt get exponentially more difficult for a weaker player as it is brought into a big-time tournament setup. But on the flip side it ought to be in excellent condition.

Tiger_Bernhardt

Re: A Visit to Ganton (June, 2010)
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 12:07:55 PM »
Ganton is a wonderful course that more than deserves it reputation as one of the top five non links courses in England. I loved it and the President and Club Historian treated me to a day I shall never forget. Alwoody is another fine course in the area. There are many on here than will more than get you up to speed on Yorkshire. cheers Tiger

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 06:06:03 AM »
Ganton is between York and Scarborough. Two courses near York are worth a visit: York at Strensall, very flat but with lots of interesting holes; Fulford in the south east of the city of York near the University. It's CA MacKenzie and doesn't get a good press on GCA and is not long enough any longer to host the big-name professional events it once did, but for an average player it is a good test. Both are maintained to a high standard.

In Scarborough South Cliff is a Dr MacKenzie course of interest and I also have a weakness for North Cliff, a Braid layout. Despite its name North Cliff is predominantly parkland.

For quirk and charm you could take the pleasant roads over the wolds to Beverley where there is a really fun, very basic course on common land Beverley and East Riding. You may find yourself chipping over a herd of bullocks from time to time! Leave yourself time to explore the old market town with its two beautiful churches.

There is inexpensive links golf up at Redcar, Cleveland, which, like Beverley, was founded in 1887. True it is surrounded by industry and a caravan site, but the course itself is of fair quality.

I'm sure Andy Levett would meet you for a game at Seaton Carew - a very good links course.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 06:18:26 AM »
Mark,

I played with Andy and a couple of other GCA'ers at Seaton Carew in 2007. Love the course and would enjoy a side trip there. I had a brief walkaround of a few holes at Ganton on my way back to Manchester the next day but didn't get to play. That little "taste" showed me the course was worth a specific visit, it really does strike me as that excellent a course.

Thanks for the other suggestions. I hope I'm able to pull off this trip next summer.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 04:32:36 PM »
On August 2nd I will be in York and can play one course on that day. I was looking at getting a day ticket at Ganton as well. I was under the impression that it is the best course in the area or are there other contenders?

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Brent Hutto

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 04:35:55 PM »
I willl be gobsmacked if someone on this site makes a pitch for any course within a 50-mile radius of York being superior to Ganton.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 11:10:46 PM »
Brent

I used Leeds as my base when I was up that way ?

I recommend you visit Alwoodley and Moortown in the region.

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 04:18:07 PM »
I willl be gobsmacked if someone on this site makes a pitch for any course within a 50-mile radius of York being superior to Ganton.

Brent
So would I.

If you are looking for repeat plays at Ganton & minimum windscreen time I would base yourself somewhere between Ganton & York (possibly Malton?).  On days when you are not at Ganton I would agree with Mark's recommendations that you play Fulford & Strensall, if you do not want the one hour drive from Ganton to Alwoodley &/or Moortown.

Once you've firmed up your plans please let me know and I'll try and join you for at least one day.   
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Dean Stokes

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 03:19:28 PM »
I remember Scarborough South Cliff not being too bad either. Ganton is a great day out though. Top class.
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Brent Hutto

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 03:32:25 PM »
Thanks for the continued feedback, guys. I'm doing some heavy finagling trying to convince myself I can afford even a slightly shorter "budget" UK vacation next year. If I'm able to cross the ocean, the Ganton idea is almost certainly the plan.

Andrew,

I'm thinking along the lines you suggest (Malton or one of the nearby villages). If I do Alwoodley or Moortown it would most likely be on the way to or from Manchester rather than a backtracking side trip. My current idea looks like basically 3 days of hopefully 2 rounds/day at Ganton with a stop on either arrival day or day before departure at one of the Leeds courses. And probably a day in the middle that's a break from Ganton, either one of the York-area courses or try to make a trek to Seaton Carew or some other links course for at least a glimpse of the seaside. I must say, though, that when I stopped by Ganton their turf and terrain was giving up very little in comparison to a "true links" course.

Jason McNamara

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2009, 06:38:15 PM »
Brent, if staying in York itself, Durham is a straight shot via rail (50 mins).  Puts you 5 miles from Brancepeth Castle.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2009, 11:57:17 AM »
If you fly into London, I would definitely play Woodhall Spa on the way to Ganton.  They are about 2 and 1/2 hours apart.  Alwoodley and Moortown are must plays.  I would get replays at Ganton, WS, and Alwoodley if possible.  The second time around is more fun.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2009, 12:12:12 PM »
Thanks for the continued feedback, guys. I'm doing some heavy finagling trying to convince myself I can afford even a slightly shorter "budget" UK vacation next year. If I'm able to cross the ocean, the Ganton idea is almost certainly the plan.

Andrew,

I'm thinking along the lines you suggest (Malton or one of the nearby villages). If I do Alwoodley or Moortown it would most likely be on the way to or from Manchester rather than a backtracking side trip. My current idea looks like basically 3 days of hopefully 2 rounds/day at Ganton with a stop on either arrival day or day before departure at one of the Leeds courses. And probably a day in the middle that's a break from Ganton, either one of the York-area courses or try to make a trek to Seaton Carew or some other links course for at least a glimpse of the seaside. I must say, though, that when I stopped by Ganton their turf and terrain was giving up very little in comparison to a "true links" course.

Brent
The only links experience you are missing at Ganton is the smell and sight of the sea.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back