News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jed Peters

Re: Starting tomorrow, Tues. 10/20: Get To Know Kyle Henderson
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2009, 04:23:02 PM »

Not blonde.

Who did you play for and when?

We were stymied out of the championship game by Benicia ('92) and Foothill ('93).

I went to Miramonte.

George Pazin

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2009, 05:56:17 PM »
Love the photo, it really fits with the theme of the threads.

Pleasant weather aside, what was your biggest surprise of playing in Scotland? Was the conditioning better or worse than you expected - or just different?
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2009, 06:16:37 PM »
And you came to Scotland for two weeks without HER?!
Now I know you're crazy!! ;D

Thanks for doing that other thing...

Now to business:

1. All in all, Balcomie or Craighead?

2. Did you find anything in Scots golf which REALLY disappointed you?

3. Best meal in Scotland? (don't HAVE to say Ainster Fish Bar!)

4. Worst Meal?

5. Disappointed you didn't get to the West Coast?

6. Where next?

7. The single BEST individual (golf) landscape feature you saw here?

8. Worst moment on our Roads?

9. Would you ever wear a kilt? (Henderson tartan is pretty cool!)

10. Will you ever attempt to get the Nurse to try Golf?

cheers,
MB.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2009, 06:33:57 PM »
Kyle, please answer the following questions honestly.  It will tell us all we need to know about your character as a golfer, and hence, a human being.

1.  Apart from clubs, balls, tees, and a glove, what else would I find in your golf bag?

I also carry extra towels and extra gloves for both hands, ball markers, non-alcoholic beverages, protein bars, yardage guides, masculine hygiene products, and occasionally a deck of cards (for the long waits during weekend rounds, which I try to avoid by playing mid-week).

2.  What is your personal bottom wardrobe threshhold for playing golf?  Is it absolute or does it scale by the quality of the course you're playing?

I always wear a collared shirt, even at dog tracks, unless the weather demands warmer gear. I’ve never worn jeans while golfing, usually slacks or wet gear in the winter but shorts 80% of the year (yay California!). My bucket hat is a bit casual but my neck fears melanomas.

3.  If you were a type of fairway grass, what type of fairway grass would you be and why?
I’m ashamed to admit my lack of expertise in the ways of turf, but I’ll try to answer within the context of my present belief system. I would be a fescue blend, requiring less grooming (mowing and watering) and able to adapt to different conditions without croaking.

3b. How often would you water yourself?
When my roots began to tingle I’d have a little soak.

4.  When playing golf with friends, do you enjoying wagering?  If yes, how much is too much to put on the line?
Historically no, although I’ve recently started a 3$ Nassau with my dad -- match play giving him a stroke per hole -- just to see if i focus more under pressure.

5.  What is your usual ball marker?

Mexican pesos, dimes or something included with my greens fee at an upper-end course.

6.  How many pairs of golf shoes do you own?
2. I bought the second pair for Scotland just in case the weather soaked me

7.  How frequently do you go to the driving range?
I  hit the range once or twice a week to supplement 3 rounds per month. Last year I played two rounds a week with almost no range time and was a much better player.

8.  In a casual round of golf, you play terribly.  Will you throw tantrums?  Will you make your playing partners uncomfortable in any way?  How much profanity and other barnyard language can we expect to hear?

I only curse in the context of humor. Usually, when playing poorly, I get very quiet or I laugh at myself, offer excuses and hang my head. I’ve never thrown anything or yelled. I get heated once every year or two, but you’d hardly know it.

9. You have the opportunity to play a course that you've always wanted to play.  You're really struggling on one of the holes.  At what point do you just pick up and move to the next hole?

I’m not sure. It would probably take 10 shots or more.

10.  How many legitimately good golf jokes do you know?  Can you tell them well?  Are they G, PG, or R rated?

22. Reasonably. Mostly X-rated (the offensiveness is what makes me giggle), but I always make sure I know my audience well first. My best jokes are non-golf-releated. IM me if you enjoy absolute filth.

Thanks in advance for your responses.  PS fiance is lovely.

My pleasure. She'll be pleased to here the good news!
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Lyne Morrison

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2009, 06:35:18 PM »
Hi Kyle – I would like to add my thanks to you for sharing your travels with us, the various reports are a great resource and the time required to post these is appreciated.

In a relatively short period of time you have chosen to immerse yourself in the game which suggests to me a particular connection was made at some point - one you sought to explore further. If I may, a few questions in that vein...

How have the travels you have undertaken and the study of the GBI courses impacted your early impressions of the game?

How do you reconcile the differences between the game played in GBI vs the US?

From your perspective how would you describe ‘golf’s true value’?

What have you really taken away from this experience?

Thanks - keep up the good work,

Cheers - Lyne

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2009, 06:41:07 PM »
Kyle,

At risk of being a bit late to ask, what is the picture in you avatar? Nothing too taxing on the GCA front!

That would be the comedian Stephen Colbert (of Comedy Central fame, having featured on ‘The Daily Show,’ ‘Strangers With Candy’ and ‘The Colbert Report’) brandishing a flaming sword and American shield.

Also, you mentioned that the 13th at Brora was your favourite? I know its a tricky question, but why? I only ask because there are plenty of other holes I would list before that one, as I've never really liked it much?

While the 6th is a bit more interesting around the green, I enjoyed the angle of the 13th tee shot over the burns. What really makes Brora interesting is the routing, and the 13th makes good use of a difficult plot. Which holes do you prefer, amigo?

Many thanks for your various photo tours of your trip to Scotland. Awesome work! Its been a while since you got back if I recall right, which makes me feel better as I actually have 4 draft photo tours in waiting, one going back to July, but checking the photos, resizing for the new format on the forum etc seems to take forever.

I got back in mid-June. These tours do take time. I’m sure I’ll have posted at least 500 photos when all is said and done.  Yikes!!! I need more hobbies!

Keep up the interesting and humerous posts, and when you get round to your tour of England it would be great to possibly meet such a great sounding guy.

I can’t wait to visit England and prove you wrong about me. ;)

By the way, as a fellow Formula One enthusiast, I strongly suggest you talk shop with Mr. Stamm and Mr. Huntley.
Cheers,

James
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 06:42:50 PM by Kyle Henderson »
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2009, 06:47:49 PM »

Who did you play for and when?

I played three years of varsity (American) football for Granada High School. We defeated Alhambra HS to take the Sectional Title in 1995 (also defeated Foothill in the semi's). In 1997, we defeated Miramonte during the regular season, but lost to them in the Championship Game. That year, Miramonte was helmed by Ken Dorsey, the QB that went on to win the National Championship at U of Miami (FL) before playing a few years with the 49ers. Interestingly, for those not familiar, Miramonte and Granada both claim the Matador as their mascot. 

We were stymied out of the championship game by Benicia ('92) and Foothill ('93).

I went to Miramonte.
I won't hold that against you, my friend.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2009, 06:52:53 PM »
Love the photo, it really fits with the theme of the threads.

Pleasant weather aside, what was your biggest surprise of playing in Scotland? Was the conditioning better or worse than you expected - or just different?

After playing at Ballyneal and Bandon in 2008, I was curious to see how closely the American "links" courses compared to Scotland's. To my surprise, the American versions were VERY similar to some of their U.K. counterparts -- perhaps a bit firmer in America due to their youthful condition. Royal Dornoch's turf was especially similar to Bandon Trails, by my reckoning.

Truthfully, I studied so much about Scotland's golf courses before I went, there were no huge surprises.

I dearly wish American golf was as reasonably priced (especially courses on the sea), dog friendly and face-paced as Scottish golf.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2009, 07:47:20 PM »

Kyle,

I love your photo tour threads and am disapointed that there is not more participation on them. What OT topic are you dying to start but just can't make yourself?

What sports did you play in high school?

Other than the west coast, What area in the country would you want to live?

How mant secounds would it take you to pin Kalen?

Favorite toy as a kid?

Are you planning to go to the GCA Bandon trip?

Sorry you posted the picture of the cute young lady, I had several chick questions I was planning on asking.

Thanks again for your devotion and contribution the GCA.

Anthony

« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 12:12:58 AM by Anthony Gray »

Carl Nichols

« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2009, 08:20:20 PM »
Kyle:
What's the best type of exercise for golf -- e.g., pilates, yoga, etc.?

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2009, 11:59:27 PM »
And you came to Scotland for two weeks without HER?!
Now I know you're crazy!! ;D

Now to business:

1. All in all, Balcomie or Craighead?
Cop out. Balcomie tee to green. Craighead green complexes.

2. Did you find anything in Scots golf which REALLY disappointed you?
Not really. Loved the accessibility of elite courses (primary), lack of pretense among members, and the nearly constant sunshine!  The biggest disappointment is that the exchange rate is so unfavorable and the distance is so great.

3. Best meal in Scotland? (don't HAVE to say Ainster Fish Bar!)
After 25 hours of travel capped by a 40 hour solo drive from Edinburgh to Dornoch, I received a delicious home-cooked meal from Mr. and Mrs. Tepper. The full lunch service at Muirfield with a few dozen HCEG members on a sunny Friday was also pretty spectacular. Anstruthers was a close third, though the company (you and Mr. Pearce) was first-rate that day! ;)

4. Worst Meal?
My lunch at Gleneagles took almost 50 minutes to arrive, forcing me to inhale before rushing onto the Queen’s Course.

5. Disappointed you didn't get to the West Coast?
A bit. Turnberry was closed to visitors because of The Open, yet I vow to return someday to play there along with Troon, Western Gailes, Prestwick, and Machrihanish, and hopefully many more.

6. Where next?
Well, I ended up scheduling my wedding for the weekend before The King’s Putter, so my time and cash are invested elsewhere for now. Check reply #11.

7. The single BEST individual (golf) landscape feature you saw here?
Murcar’s 7th hole (par 4, 423 yards)

8. Worst moment on our Roads?
I really didn’t have much trouble, aside from staying awake during the 4 hours to Dornoch after a sleepless night and a few miles tooling around Amsterdam between flights.

9. Would you ever wear a kilt? (Henderson tartan is pretty cool!)

10. Will you ever attempt to get the Nurse to try Golf?
She is eager to learn, but she needs a skilled instructor

BTW: I play guitar. When you visit, let’s rock.
cheers,
MB.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 12:02:38 AM by Kyle Henderson »

Anthony Gray

« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2009, 12:16:49 AM »

Kyle,

Oh My God. That kilt photo is second only to Bart's wife on the osrerich. Well done my friend!!

Tell us more about your time with Marty Bonnar.................PLEASE!!

Anthony

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2009, 11:20:23 AM »
Hi Kyle – I would like to add my thanks to you for sharing your travels with us, the various reports are a great resource and the time required to post these is appreciated.

Thanks, Lyne. It’s gratifying to share my experiences with like-minded GCAers.

In a relatively short period of time you have chosen to immerse yourself in the game which suggests to me a particular connection was made at some point - one you sought to explore further. If I may, a few questions in that vein...

How have the travels you have undertaken and the study of the GBI courses impacted your early impressions of the game?

The Scots seem to take more joy in the game. They bring their pets and children on the course. They always gather after the round to share stories of the day.

So many Americans seem to spend their rounds in anger when they make the slightest mistake and then hurry off home or to the office after their last putt drops. 

How do you reconcile the differences between the game played in GBI vs the US?

Well, here in California, almost the entire Pacific Coast is dedicated to housing for the affluent and state parks, with just a handful of golf courses. In Scotland, it seemed that every town along the east coast has its own golf course (and soccer pitch). Golf is also much more accessible and affordable in the U.K., whereas in the U.S. the best courses are mostly private or at high-end resorts. I also saw a few pitch and putts dedicated to children in Scotland, something sorely lacking stateside.

From your perspective how would you describe ‘golf’s true value’?
I’m sure that varies from one golfer to the next. For me, the joy is in discovering (or revisiting) beautiful places under the pretext of a defined purpose. Hiking can be a bit boring, but if I’m trying to steer a little ball to a target in as few strokes as possible, I find myself much more engaged with the terrain.

The other values is the social aspect of the game. It’s great to have a reason for spending several hours or days with friends and family members sharing in the discovery I described above.

Finally, I love that way that golf requires one to compete with them self. The better you get, the more you feel like there is room for improvement.

Some use golf as a format for conducting business and making wagers. I’m not really from that school, but it’s fun to make a few friendly bets now and then.

I'm afraid I lack the depth to truly explore this excellent query. I hope you ask this same question of ever other featured guest in George's thread series.

What have you really taken away from this experience?

Bankruptcy and an insatiable desire to discover more golf courses in foreign lands as soon as I’m able.

Thanks - keep up the good work,

Cheers - Lyne

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2009, 11:54:39 AM »

Kyle,

I love your photo tour threads and am disapointed that there is not more participation on them. What OT topic are you dying to start but just can't make yourself?

Mostly, I’d like to ask for money and discuss my career options.

What sports did you play in high school?

Wrestling, football, and tonsil hockey.

Other than the west coast, What area in the country would you want to live?

Asheville, NC, Flagstaff, AZ, or Coeur d’ alene, ID or any of the many sorority houses.

How mant secounds would it take you to pin Kalen?
That depends on the size of the donkey tail./color]

Favorite toy as a kid?
Larynx.

Are you planning to go to the GCA Bandon trip?

I’d love to, but I have a wedding and a KP that same month, so it might be easier said than done. Hope prevails!

Sorry you posted the picture of the cute young lady, I had several chick questions I was planning on asking.
Crisis averted!

Thanks again for your devotion and contribution the GCA.

Anthony

Likewise, Mr. Gray  

« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 12:00:52 PM by Kyle Henderson »

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2009, 11:58:45 AM »
Kyle:
What's the best type of exercise for golf -- e.g., pilates, yoga, etc.?
My personal regimine is not golf-sepecific, but yoga and pilates would both benefit most golfers. Even old-fashioned weight training can make a big difference.

Stong core and abductor muscles are expecially vital to making an athletic turn.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2009, 12:11:25 PM »

Kyle,

Are you afraid of marraige?

What is the most unusual injury you have seen?

I love Ashville, How many times have you visited?

What scene is your favorite from Animal House?

I once tore an achilles during sex, Any professional advice?

Why hasn't your father joined this thread?

Anthony

James Boon

« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2009, 12:19:37 PM »
Kyle,

At risk of being a bit late to ask, what is the picture in you avatar? Nothing too taxing on the GCA front!

That would be the comedian Stephen Colbert (of Comedy Central fame, having featured on ‘The Daily Show,’ ‘Strangers With Candy’ and ‘The Colbert Report’) brandishing a flaming sword and American shield.

Also, you mentioned that the 13th at Brora was your favourite? I know its a tricky question, but why? I only ask because there are plenty of other holes I would list before that one, as I've never really liked it much?

While the 6th is a bit more interesting around the green, I enjoyed the angle of the 13th tee shot over the burns. What really makes Brora interesting is the routing, and the 13th makes good use of a difficult plot. Which holes do you prefer, amigo?

Many thanks for your various photo tours of your trip to Scotland. Awesome work! Its been a while since you got back if I recall right, which makes me feel better as I actually have 4 draft photo tours in waiting, one going back to July, but checking the photos, resizing for the new format on the forum etc seems to take forever.

I got back in mid-June. These tours do take time. I’m sure I’ll have posted at least 500 photos when all is said and done.  Yikes!!! I need more hobbies!

Keep up the interesting and humerous posts, and when you get round to your tour of England it would be great to possibly meet such a great sounding guy.

I can’t wait to visit England and prove you wrong about me. ;)

By the way, as a fellow Formula One enthusiast, I strongly suggest you talk shop with Mr. Stamm and Mr. Huntley.
Cheers,

James

Thanks Kyle,

I'd heard of Colbert but didn't really know who he was so now I know! Strangley when I did a Google Image search for him that was the first picture that crops up.

Its been a while since I played Brora but my favourites were always 5, 6, 8, 9 and 17. We used to stay at the caravan site next to the 12th hole so I used to spend hours when it was getting dark playing a small loop of holes round the far end or practicing my short game on the 6th green. However I always seemed to miss out the 13th? I agree though thats its good use of a difficult plot, so when I finally get back there I'll pay better attention!

F1 fan hey? Maybe I'll leave that to a PM, to save boring people on here...

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2009, 02:02:19 PM »

Kyle,

Are you afraid of marraige?

Deathly afraid, but she makes more than me, so my risks are mitigated.  ;)

What is the most unusual injury you have seen?

I don't see anything too wacky in my niche, but I did have a patient that asked if his heart attack was triggered by the time he smoked marijuana with snake venom in it.

There was also a case in which a patient in the hospital was passing gas and feces through his urethra.

I love Ashville, How many times have you visited?

Once. I lived in Durham for 6 months, but i was impoverished so I didn't venture much.

What scene is your favorite from Animal House?
http://www.youtube.com/v/a9JYq-mXprw&hl=en&fs=1&

I once tore an achilles during sex, Any professional advice?
Practice abstinence whenever you're on horseback, on a trampoline, sky diving, or within 100 miles of me or anyone I hold dear.

Why hasn't your father joined this thread?
He's in Turkey. I hope he doesn't try their brand of wrestling.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TwUfv4HqsA

Anthony

Anthony Gray

« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2009, 03:28:02 PM »

Kyle,

Today is my anniversery, Any suggestions?

Did you make good grades in spelling?

How much would you spend for an engagement ring?

What is Mr Henderson doing in Turkey?

What weight class in high school?

Don't you love a burn that is lined with masonry?

Anthony

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2009, 10:20:52 AM »

Kyle,

Anthony

Kyle,

Knowing your anniversary is half of the battle, so I have to assume (based on the dozens of G.I. Joe cartoons I watched as a kid) that the other half of the battle consists of red and blue lasers. I would also suggest posting OT threads ad nauseum.

Let’s just say that I know how to spell 'anniversary'…

Apparently twice what I would spend on a two-week, 25-round golf trip to Scotland.

I doubt I'll ever know. Turker operates under the same principles as Las Vegas.

160 lbs. (5'10") freshman year, up to 185lbs. (6'0") by graduation.

Not when my ball goes in it.

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2009, 01:26:18 PM »
How much can you bench?

How much can you squat?

What's your favorite thing, about me?

In your top echelon of courses, rated 10......what did Dornoch have, that say Sand Hills lacked? And vice versa.

You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2009, 06:41:20 PM »
How much can you bench?
I only come about ½-way down to my to keep pressure off of my shoulders, so I am able to lift a bit more than I would when performing complete repetitions. Using my modified technique, I can do a half-dozen reps with 425lbs.

I can also urinate 10% farther than anyone with a high-brow sense of humor.

How much can you squat?
I don’t do squats. I fill the hack press for heavy leg work (14 plates at 45 lbs. per plate = 630 lbs) plus I’m lifting the sled (150 lbs) and myself (200 lbs), but at a 45-degree angle, which effectively halves the amount of weight lifted.  By those numbers, I would estimate I’m pressing around 500 lbs. I usually do 25-30 full repetitions and then burn out the legs with another 120 partial reps.

What's your favorite thing, about me?
Your Conkite-esque, baritone voice, hyperfertility and the manner by which you project all of your faults onto me.

In your top echelon of courses, rated 10......what did Dornoch have, that say Sand Hills lacked?
Sand Hills lacks blooming gorse bushes and fresh sea breezes, if you’re into those kinds or peripheral, experience-related factors. However, its environment is also appealing aside from the frequent lightning and hail. I can’t recall any glaring deficiencies in the course itself from my single round there. The greens seemed pretty tame after 36 holes at Ballyneal the day before but rolled very truly.

And vice versa.

Dornoch has no long or short par 3’s. All of the 1-shotters play between 161 and 184 from the tips (142-167 from the visitor tees). However, all of the par 3s are memorable and meritorious, so no big whoop. *Dornoch also lacks the amazing cheese burgers available at Ben’s Porch.

Scott Henderson

« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2009, 05:02:55 PM »
Although this thread is about Kyle I feel I need to respond to Anthony's inquiries about me:

- I probably would not have posted anything on this thread if you had not asked because I already have TMI about Kyle.

- I was in Turkey because I enjoy visiting places that are very different from where I normally spend my time (ie California), and I enjoy learning about the history of places from their perspective.  Unfortunately I was unable to play any golf there, but I did observe the presence of several golf courses near Fetiyeh - maybe I can play there at some time in the future!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back