News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ulrich Mayring

Re: Prestbury, a photo tour
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2014, 05:19:45 AM »
Wow... why was this course never even mentioned in the "Macclesfield" thread: http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,57477.0.html

This looks like an England Top 100 course to me. Of course, looks can deceive - so what's the story?

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Sean_A

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2014, 06:11:14 AM »
Wow... why was this course never even mentioned in the "Macclesfield" thread: http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,57477.0.html

This looks like an England Top 100 course to me. Of course, looks can deceive - so what's the story?

Ulrich

Ulrich

No story, Prestbury is a very good course.  If push came to shove, I think it pips Reddish Vale, but that shouldn't be surprising because the green fee is 3x RV's.  

No question Prestbury is top 100 England.  Had I known T Doak was going as far north as Delamere Forest (has nothing on Prestbury) on his recent English sojourn I would have said he should see Prestbury.  Its a solid Doak 6 and with Doak mellowing with age it may even be a 7  :D.

I also did a tour.  
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,41833.msg889375.html#msg889375

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

John Mayhugh

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2014, 08:13:53 PM »
Somehow the first time around I failed to add this to my "must see in England" list.  I keep playing English courses, but the list keeps growing.

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2014, 12:36:34 AM »
No question Prestbury is top 100 England.  Had I known T Doak was going as far north as Delamere Forest (has nothing on Prestbury) on his recent English sojourn I would have said he should see Prestbury.  Its a solid Doak 6 and with Doak mellowing with age it may even be a 7  :D.

I also did a tour.  
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,41833.msg889375.html#msg889375

Ciao

Interesting that you rate Prestbury above Delamere. Conventional view has them the other way round but I think you may have a point. The course in the area you must see is Sandiway. It's round the corner from Delamere but based on my one visit on a glorious summer's day I have to give it the edge.

I'm returning to DF on Thursday (hopefully - if I can get sufficiently ahead with my work) so will be able to review my opinions.

Prestbury is clearly a shade ahead of Reddish Vale - but only a shade. The gap is closing though; the tree and bunker work going on at RV is transforming the place.

Cheshire really is rather a good county for golf courses!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 12:40:14 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2014, 03:22:17 AM »

I also did a tour.  

Ciao

Interesting that you rate Prestbury above Delamere. Conventional view has them the other way round but I think you may have a point. The course in the area you must see is Sandiway. It's round the corner from Delamere but based on my one visit on a glorious summer's day I have to give it the edge.

I'm returning to DF on Thursday (hopefully - if I can get sufficiently ahead with my work) so will be able to review my opinions.

Prestbury is clearly a shade ahead of Reddish Vale - but only a shade. The gap is closing though; the tree and bunker work going on at RV is transforming the place.

The northern part is for sure. Southern Cheshire is just a horrible clay bog...
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Sean_A

« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2014, 04:25:43 AM »

I also did a tour.  

Ciao

Duncan

Yes, I think Prestbury's greens (or really Delamere's very flat greens) give it the nod over Delamere, but we are splitting hairs.  If I knew them both better I could change my mind.  I agree RV is a step below Prestbury, but I think comfortably on par wth Delamere.  I am not sure if any work can overcome a few awkward moments RV's routing resulting in some dubious holes/walks.  Bottom line, I am happy to play all three again.  We should plan to county card these joints in the spring/summer.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2014, 06:58:16 AM »

I have not ventured to the southern parts of the county for golf but am due to play in a match at Wychwood Park soon.

Comments?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 07:00:05 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2014, 08:22:05 AM »

I have not ventured to the southern parts of the county for golf but am due to play in a match at Wychwood Park soon.

Comments?

I don't know the golf course, but I had a close friend who lived between Middlewich and Crewe for several years - she swore blind there was nothing but soggy clay for miles around...
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2014, 12:11:20 PM »
The original, pre-Nicklaus course at Carden Park had a lot of potential, having some interesting contours, but it never fulfilled its promise. It was probably quite well drained. It was somewhat compromised when the Nicklaus course was built - a very disappointing course in my view.

I also quite like Crewe. It has some fascinating holes, is not hard walking, and is often quite challenging.

If you do get together at Delamere, Sandiway, RV and Prestbury you are welcome as my guests at Wilmslow, which is celebrating its 125th anniversary this year.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back